Now that's a better Penfolds

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Craig(NZ)

Now that's a better Penfolds

Post by Craig(NZ) »

I havent bought any Penfolds since the 1998s - I found the 99 and 00s overpriced, forced, dirty and not worth my time. A few good comments on the Bin 28 from Rossi, Sue and others saw me try one last night while the excellent supermarket release prices still apply.

The supermarkets put out full page newspaper adds advertising the new releases at good prices. You go into the supermarket to find its actually a clearance of the old vintages!! Yip hard to find the 'new releases' at all!! No doubt southcorp gives the supermarkets an advertising subsidy for the new releases which the supermarkets just use to clear old stock.

Anyway found a few 01 Kalimna Bin 28

Have to say im really impressed. Good deep purple shiraz wine with heaps of concentration but a sweetness to balance it. It isnt over the top but shows some good restraint and even a hint of class.

Id have to rate it as the best Bin 28 vintage ive ever tried, more refined than usual and a massive improve on the rather forced efforts from 99 and 00

At $20 it beats anything the Hawkes Bay had to offer at that price point.

Well done.

PS Any comments as to what the 389 is like? I havent had the chance to try it yet.

Cheers

C.

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Hi Craig,

I thought the 01 was a departure for the Bin 28, much more fruit restrained, savoury, and food friendly than it has been in the past. For me this makes it a better wine.

The 389 is quite tight and closed, but could well turn into a good wine. IMO it has better phenolic structure than the 98, and is more built for ageing. Definitely try one.

I also liked the 128 this year: this is the first time I've rated this wine. Give that a go too.

I didnt like the 407 much, nice but a bit boring, not varietal either.

hope this helps

cheers

Andrew

Craig(NZ).

Post by Craig(NZ). »

never liked 407 with the exception of the 94 which is a fantastic drink in my opinion (I know others here disagree) and the 98 which I rated as a better wine than the 389 of the same year.

been plenty of dud vintages of 407 thats for sure.

yes the 01 bin 28 is pretty restrained and classy for a penfolds...thats why i liked it i guess

Gary W

Re: 407

Post by Gary W »

Did a tasting recently. I think the 98 Bin 28 well ahead of the 01. Best wine of the 01's for me the 389. The 28 was second favourite. I thought it a big tarry wine but with some character.

GW

SueNZ

Re: Now that's a better Penfolds

Post by SueNZ »

Craig(NZ) wrote:The supermarkets put out full page newspaper adds advertising the new releases at good prices. You go into the supermarket to find its actually a clearance of the old vintages!! Yip hard to find the 'new releases' at all!! No doubt southcorp gives the supermarkets an advertising subsidy for the new releases which the supermarkets just use to clear old stock.

Was in Albany Pak 'n Save yesterday and saw the Bin 28 and 128 on the shelf. from the distance I could see the 'Recommended by Cuisine' stickers and thought 'that's quick', then got closer and saw they were both the 2000 vintage and both had a price tag of $26.95!!!
Bumped into a friend in store who had just got back from holiday and was looking for the Bin 389. None there of any vintage. Though they did have RWT 2000 for a cool $156 and the 707 for about $122.
Saw no 2001 'Bin' wines at all.

Cheers,
Sue

Craig(NZ).

Post by Craig(NZ). »

yes ditto at pak n save botany.

foodtown, woolworths and new world all had the release advertised last week.

all at $19.95 for bin 28,128. $29.95 for 389

The Grey Ghost

Post by The Grey Ghost »

Same trick here,
Advertised the 2001 release and it was all 2000 clearance. Bastards. But then they had to do something. Bought the 128 (2000) at $19.95 and okay at that price. Last week (and for the year passed) it was $32.00 with the 389 at $47 !!!

The 1998 prices were $17.95 (28, 128) and $29.00 (389).

It's only fermented grape-juice! Well made but when all is said and done, these are commercial wines without great individuality (HoG). They have to over-deliver on price and qualilty. I have 389s going back to the mis 70s still drinking well today. The 2000s don't make the cut.