Zinfandel

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Matt

Zinfandel

Post by Matt »

Its time to reacquaint myself with this grape. Having only tried a few (Cape Mentelle and a some that I cant recall from Napa Valley when I travelleved to the US) can anyone share some tips on their favourite bottles and where I can source them? I recently went to buy a case from the US however when I went to 'checkout' they wanted $188 for freight so I cancelled my order. Any tips would be appreciated (sub $20 wines would be ideal).
Many Thanks

calm

Re: Zinfandel

Post by calm »

Tried one from DM's last weekend, it was called a Kendall Jackson Zinfadel $22, the colour was very light, almost like a rose or a pinot. Didn't care much for it, very dry and terse, BUT, a buddy of mine who loves pinot noir thought it was great. Go figure.
Craig S

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Yeah didn't like that Kendall Jackson wine either, and always frustrated that very few if any of the good US Zin's make it out here. I've had some over there that were really quite superb. Avoiding overripeness is the real key.

Sub $20 will be really pushing it, it's not easy to get right, and if not from aussie will always be higher. I've enjoyed the Ridge Geyserville's 05 and 06, but watch for bottle variation, and as you mentioned the Cape Mentelle's are expensive but can be good given the right vintage (04 was big but nice, 05 more balanced, 06 and 07 not so good though).

Hoping others can suggest something which I can track down easily enough.

Cheers
Tim

ozwine

Post by ozwine »

sorry to mention that dreaded word "graysonline" but they have 2 us zins currently at auction. compass & pasadena if that means anything. haven;t tried either. try reading customer rating 21/9 on latter. they have been bought around bid price of $34 per doz, but add commission + del. also note prices can be all over the place
cheers

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Beach Road make a primitivo from fruit grown in Langhorne Creek. I was quite taken with the 2008 but have not yet tried the 2009.

Sharkey

Post by Sharkey »

I love a good Zin and drink it fairly regularly. I currently have about 7 or 8 different ones in my cellar and I attend a Zinfandel Long Lunch each year. Here was my post on last year’s event - http://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11592&p=91674.

There are actually some very good Aussie Zins. In fact 2 different producers have won the Zin trophy at the London International Wine Challenge, beating the Americans at there own game. They were Irvine Wines from Eden Valley and Lowe Family Wines from Mudgee.

There are a couple of reasonable Zins that can be had for around the $20 mark but they are mostly direct through the winery, so you possibly need to order a case. Examples would be Grove Estate from Hilltops and Mansfield from Mudgee. The current release (2008 I think) of the Irvine can be ordered from the winery for about $28 a bottle (case price).

The most likely one you would find in a bottle shop would be Kangarilla Road. They actually make 2 different zins, a McLaren Vale Zinfandel (which is around the $30 mark) and a Fleurieu Primitivo (possibly around the $20 mark), which is the same as Zinfandel. In fact I’m pretty sure they used to call it Zin.

All this talk has got me craving some Zin. Luckily this year’s Zin lunch is only 2 weeks away.
Sharkey

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

Zins aren't really light....they'll be a big big fruit bomb type of wine usually...

Piggs Peake makes a decent Zin but I think they normally sell out quick.....but if you don't want to get it from CA, Primitivo is the same thing...

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Peel Estate in WA has been a long-term producer of big Zinfandel. They have now taken to labelling the wine 'Old Vine' and I quote from the back label of the 2005 vintage:

"Wimps beware! This wine is made from some of the oldest 'Zin' vines in Australia ('76) and has a real 'wine for heroes' nose. The palate is huge with hints of licorice and enormous flavour and length boosted by high alcohol. It is obviously a wine for eccentrics and is made to rival Stilton cheese."

Although I disagree with the Stilton match, the rest is spot on, with the 2005 vintage weighing in at 17% ABV and 10.1 standard drinks.

It is certainly an individual wine, but, in (advisedly) small quantities (shared with a group), it is a wine I am happy to pull out of the cellar as a 'one-off'. Maybe I am eccentric?

Apart from that, I second the Cape Mentelle as the best Zinfandel in Australia. I have a couple of vintages going back some years in the cellar, and will crack the 1999 at Christmas probably - good with pud.

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

rens

Post by rens »

Another vote for the Peel estate. I drink it about once or twice a year. It is a big wine and sells around the $45 mark from the winery.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity