If you had $50 to spend.

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
xsorxpire

If you had $50 to spend.

Post by xsorxpire »

There are a lot of people on here with a great amount of experience and a few of us noobs.

If i were to say to you here is $50, go buy a bottle of wine you can't touch for ten years. What would you buy and why?

Simple rules.
You can't add money to it.
It can be red or white.
You can take it for granted it will be cellared well.
You must give a reason as to why.

Though i lack the experience of many on here i would pick the 04 "Glenmore" by Ian Bell.
Having had the opportunity to spend time with him and hear what he is building with his wines and taste from his barrels i would take a punt on his Yallingup/Margret River Cabernet Sauvignon.
His use of (2%)Petit Verdo to raise acidity and add to mid palate, plus the small amount of Merlot(3%) give a wonderful flavour and his use of french oak and bottle aging make the tanins seamless.

At $40 i think it's a good buy.

What would you buy?

TiggerK

Re: If you had $50 to spend.

Post by TiggerK »

All sorts of wines come to mind, but Hunter Shiraz from a good year usually enjoys 10 years more reliably than most... so Maurice O'Shea Shiraz 2007.

Edit: Why... because I've had it young and it's delicious, and old Hunter is something special indeed.
Last edited by TiggerK on Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NSJN2

Post by NSJN2 »

TiggerK wrote:All sorts of wines come to mind, but Hunter Shiraz from a good year usually enjoys 10 years more reliably than most... so Maurice O'Shea Shiraz 2007.

4 bottles of 2008 Pepperjack shiraz from Dan Murphy's this week @ 11.80 each :)

mf

Post by mf »

Voyager Cabernet Merlot - because I like Margaret River cabernet and from my limited experience its quality level, if not equal, is close to other Margaret River Cabernet that seems to be priced from $70 to $100. I have not tasted any that are 10+ years but seems all reviews of prior vintages have a drinking window longer than 10 years for nearly all vintages. Only the last couple of vintages have been around $50 as well (oddly I may not have thought of it if it was still around $35).

odyssey

Post by odyssey »

TiggerK wrote:All sorts of wines come to mind, but Hunter Shiraz from a good year usually enjoys 10 years more reliably than most... so Maurice O'Shea Shiraz 2007.

Like TiggerK I'd go for a Hunter from a good year, they are often undervalued compared to similar quality wines from other regions - which I'm quite happy about.

Tyrrell's are one of the most reliable out there, so probably a 2007 Tyrrell's Vat 9 Shiraz or Tyrrell's Vat 1 Semillon.
Last edited by odyssey on Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monghead

Post by monghead »

odyssey wrote:

Like TiggerK I'd go for a Hunter from a good year, they are often undervalued compared to similar quality wines from other regions - which I'm quite happy about. Probably a 2007 Tyrrell's Vat 9 Shiraz or Tyrrell's Vat 1 Semillon.

What about the Thomas Kiss Shiraz or the Meerea Park Hell Hole Shiraz?

Monghead.

odyssey

Post by odyssey »

monghead wrote:
odyssey wrote:

Like TiggerK I'd go for a Hunter from a good year, they are often undervalued compared to similar quality wines from other regions - which I'm quite happy about. Probably a 2007 Tyrrell's Vat 9 Shiraz or Tyrrell's Vat 1 Semillon.

What about the Thomas Kiss Shiraz or the Meerea Park Hell Hole Shiraz?

Monghead.

Personally after the Hunter night we had last year and the remarkable youth of the 1998 Vat 1, which appeared to all to be 5 years younger, and the 2002 Vat 1 which appeared a 3-4 years younger (and is not even a particularly good year), I'd probably pick a 2007 or 2010 Vat 1 Semillon as first choice... should go the distance, and then some.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

mf wrote:Voyager Cabernet Merlot - because I like Margaret River cabernet and from my limited experience its quality level, if not equal, is close to other Margaret River Cabernet that seems to be priced from $70 to $100. I have not tasted any that are 10+ years but seems all reviews of prior vintages have a drinking window longer than 10 years for nearly all vintages. Only the last couple of vintages have been around $50 as well (oddly I may not have thought of it if it was still around $35).

I would second this. I can't think of a better 10 year cellaring proposition for $50, and I also have experience with a few of these at 10 years. In addition, I've had a better strike rate with corks at that age than many other producers.

I can, however, find other ways to spend $50 :)
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Thommo

Post by Thommo »

Penfold's Bin 389,

Because it costs ~$50,is goddamn delicious, and will be closing in on it's best in 10 years time :D

rens

Post by rens »

Thommo wrote:Penfold's Bin 389,

Because it costs ~$50,is goddamn delicious, and will be closing in on it's best in 10 years time :D

I'd have to agree. It's well made and in good vintages can go for 20+ years. I had an '86 389 when it was about 21-22 years old and it still ranks as one of the best wines I've had the privilage of drinking.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Thommo

Post by Thommo »

it's the Porsche Boxster of wine. If you could afford Grange, you may well also be be driving a 911... Its funny how something that still costs $50 bucks a bottle has a certain stigma attached to it because it is the "cheap" alternative. But I guess, like the Porsche, it is also mass produced and not a particularly imaginative choice for a man at acertain stage in his life :)

fatdoi

Post by fatdoi »

a good vintage Clare riesling can be very interesting..... popped a 02 Grosset Polish Hill few months back, still very youthful but starting to smoothing out very nicely & showing its secondary nodes....

or take a look at the Artisans of Barossa, in most cases, their upper-mid range of shiraz/blends are in $40-50 range which are built of 10+ years in mind.... (eg, Radford Shiraz is simply imo top bang for the buck Eden Shiraz for <$40)+ i just love the region......
Relax.... In the end it's only grape juice with a twist

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

Bin 389 (Has not had a bad vintage for while)
Voyager? (has not been $50 for a while here in Perth. Ironic)
Woodlands Margaret
Petaluma CabMerl (although very sleepy lately and dont give much at the start)

Must say though 389 would be hard to beat although am certain I have had great bang for buck around this price point but tend to forget these days of less consumption.

Sam

Matt

Post by Matt »

Henschke's 2007 Euphonium for me (just scrapes in). The 389 would be my second choice.

jamie

Post by jamie »

Probably showing my inexperiece now but i would say for $50 i would get two bottles of 'Two Figs 09 Chambourcin'
To be honest I dont have the vocabulary to explain the wine to people but for some reason the aroma of it reminds me of my childhood when my grandmother would just cook/bake all day on a sunday,she would cook lots of tarts and cakes things like that,something i would like to experience in a few more years once again.
Cheers Jamie

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

If you're on the Wendouree mailing list - any Wendouree red can be had for $50 and you're probably going to get something with a bit more terroir than a 389 (not that I'm bagging the 389 as I've got a wine cellar full of them - my only problem with the 389 is quality control as I've had a few with cork problems over the years).
In a good year a Wynns BL is hard to beat when its 10 years old (and sometimes magnificent after 20 - the 1991 was my WOTY last year). A Vasse Felix Cabernet from a good year can be a wonderful wine and would last the distance (particularly the 2007/8).
I agree that the Mt Pleasant Maurice O'Shea can be a glorious wine that would usually have no problems with the distance (I'm still waiting for my 2000's to reach their peak). I used to pick up the old Steve Maglieri - Steve Maglieri shiraz's at auction for a good deal less than $50 and they are just wonderful wines after 10 - 15 years.
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

Rick Morcom

Post by Rick Morcom »

Dutscke Oscar Semmler. Great wine.

xsorxpire

Post by xsorxpire »

James Haliday said the Koonara Ambriels gift was a buy of the month and good to 2033. 95pts. ($30)

Anyone have any experience with this wine?

I cracked a 99 a couple weeks ago and was not overly impressed, but it was a one off bottle with a questionable history.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Being a Grenache lover, I would go for an 04, 05 or 06 Cirillo 1850's Grenache. Is made to go the distance and is about $46. A magnificent wine and as good a Grenache as I have drank. Closely followed by a Greenock Cornerstone Grenache. Another wonderful wine and I have not had a person try one who has not loved it. I'm not sure if they will go 10 years though. I have only drank an 03 this year and thought it still had plenty of legs left.

If I was to buy a shiraz or Cabernet, it would be a Seppelt St Peters Shiraz. I bought some a couple of months back for $40 and have seen them for $50 many times. I drank an 2000 a few months back and it was close to the best Shiraz I (and wifey) has ever had the pleasure of drinking. Wild Duck Creek Springflat Shiraz is also good for at least 10 years. Had a 99 a couple of months ago and was also sensational. They are also around the $45 mark.

Ian :D
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

rooman

Post by rooman »

mf wrote:Voyager Cabernet Merlot - because I like Margaret River cabernet and from my limited experience its quality level, if not equal, is close to other Margaret River Cabernet that seems to be priced from $70 to $100. I have not tasted any that are 10+ years but seems all reviews of prior vintages have a drinking window longer than 10 years for nearly all vintages. Only the last couple of vintages have been around $50 as well (oddly I may not have thought of it if it was still around $35).

I still have 5 of the '98 and 5 of the '99. I have tried both for the first time over the past 12 month and doubt I will try another inside 2-3 years. They are both still remarkably young and quite robust. I have no doubt however in another 5-10 they will be stunning wines. The same goes for the 2001. I finally cracked open a case recently and whilst it was enjoyable, I know if it will also be stunning in another 5-10 years.

As for what I would buy, I second the vote for the St Peters. The 98 St Peters I am drinking at present are superb wines.

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Pushing the price bracket, the Collector Reserve Shiraz ($50) should fit your criteria.
I should add I’ve only be buying them since 08, and have never tried earlier vintages (think 05 was first ...?),
But either 08 or 09 should handle a decade in the cellar ok. Has a small amount of Viognier, and is pretty approachable now with a decant.

I also second the Oscar Semmler tip, excellent Barossan wine that.

Cheers
Michael

Forgot to add why.....because its nice to have some cool climate stuff when you need a break from the Barossan bombs. Also given the consistent acclaim coming Collectors way these days, $50 will possibly look a baragin in the next few years.

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

02 Jacobs creek Johanns Garden , To hellwith it add the 01 as well .

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: YUM YUM

REgards Dazza

Ticklenow1 is right on the money with the Marco Cirillo Grenache YUM YUM YUM
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

steve.mcgrath

Post by steve.mcgrath »

Hi...
If someone say to me to buy a wine then I will surely buy Beaulieu Vineyard "Georges de Latour" Private Reserve. I never drink a wine like this one. It is a fantastic wine of $80 and its flavour is also very nice, dense and full-bodied with sweet but substantial tannins, thrilling levels of concentration, texture, and richness, and a heady finish, this wine will benefit from 4-5 years of bottle age, and last three decades or more. My most of the friends prefer to drink this one because it is not only a great wine but also a very effective.

xsorxpire

Post by xsorxpire »

steve.mcgrath wrote:Hi...
If someone say to me to buy a wine then I will surely buy Beaulieu Vineyard "Georges de Latour" Private Reserve. I never drink a wine like this one. It is a fantastic wine of $80 and its flavour is also very nice, dense and full-bodied with sweet but substantial tannins, thrilling levels of concentration, texture, and richness, and a heady finish, this wine will benefit from 4-5 years of bottle age, and last three decades or more. My most of the friends prefer to drink this one because it is not only a great wine but also a very effective.

Thank you for your input.

Do you have a bottle in mind under $50 or just the one you have posted at $80?
Turkey fat shiraz goes well for under $50 as does Tim Adams Shiraz and even St Hugo.

But do you have a favorite?

lukeamac

Post by lukeamac »

NSJN2 wrote:

4 bottles of 2008 Pepperjack shiraz from Dan Murphy's this week @ 11.80 each :)

$11.80 for Pepperjack is incredible! Minimum 16, 17 dollars these days at DM. Love this drop, learnt to drink Shiraz on Pepperjack.

dlo

Post by dlo »

With only a whimsical amount of doubt, if I had to buy and cellar a $50 white wine for a minimum of 10 years it would have to be Tyrrell's Vat 1 Semillon and for the purposes of this exercise it would be their 2005 aged release (not the current release available at cellar door). Already with seven years under screwcap (thank goodness Tyrrell's finally bit the bullet some time ago and dispensed with the bane of their portfolio - corks!), this sensational low alcohol unoaked semillon has won 5 trophies, 22 gold medals, 6 Silver and 6 bronze medals at major wine shows to date - the telling number here is the 22 gold compared to the very low number of bronze and silver. Winning that many gold medals is no mean feat, but I suspect, on average, most wine's would collect medals at something approaching a ratio of 1:2:3 for gold/silver/bronze unless they are simply brilliant, as is the case here. I currently have Vat 1 (including the 2005, of course) in the cellar going back to 1992 and at 20 years of age, this Vat 1 is showing brilliantly. (At a recent showing I gave this wine 95 points with no suggestion of it falling over anytime soon!). My bottles of 1996, 1997, 1998 and 1999 (this vintage is particularly stunning) are still in development/transition mode and will not be ready for maximum enjoyment for some years to come. So here we have the calibre, the pedigree and proven staying power that under a screw cap closure and well-cared for in a cool, dark cellar, translates, to my way of thinking, to a win/win outcome. (If you can't find a 2005, look for the 2009)
Cheers,

David

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

I'd have to agree. Tyrrell's Vat 1 Semillon. Hunter does semillon better than anyone globally so the wine, at least as far as what other things you can get internationally, is relatively unique and top notch.

Reds Australian.....It would need to be approximate pricing...
Wendouree Shiraz
Tyrrells Four Acres
Meerea Park Hell Hole
maybe
Shaw and Smith Shiraz
Mistletoe Grand Reserve

If we're talking anything from any market (So not Australia)...
Huet Vouvrays....Ages forever, wonderful acid..Fantastic wine...In that same vein as Semillon in that you're getting top notch stuff for relatively nothing..
Some GG Rieslings...Same as above...wonderful Riesling..top notch..50 or under..

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

Nice thread find...
If red, I'd get the Bests Bin 0 as I've been blown away in the past by these at and beyond 10 years, and they appear to have been good quality in recent years.
There could be a slight question mark as to whether 10 years is enough time to allow this wine to be at its best. In my experience they seem to peak some years beyond 10. I'd also add to this that a lot of Margaret River Cabernet wouldn't peak until well beyond 10 years. Vat 1 definitely the same - peaks beyond 10 years of age.
Half- decent Wendouree vintages you would expect to peak well beyond the 10-year mark.
The following could be my 10-year test reds (at around $50):
Pinot Noir: just for the hell of it I'll go with that Tappanappa Foggy Hill vineyard which was quite unique, I thought, followed by Stonier Windmill vineyard which I had last night and thought was decent.
Shiraz: Bests Bin 0 hopefully for $50, something tells me there's tinkering going on with Seppelt St Peters so I'm not sure I would pick a current vintage. Five or six years ago it would have been a shoo-in, plus it's probably over $50 in most instances these days.
Cabernet or Cab Blend: after considerable tastings, etc, I'm of the opinion that Cabernet Sauvignon generally needs more than 10 years to show its best, so I could use some help here to decide on one at or close to $50 that peaks at 10 years.
perhaps a nice Yarra Valley Cabernet Sauvignon or Cab Blend could be the choice at around $50 ??
Other reds: Freeman Secco (Rondinella Corvina)- I'll back this one in even though there may have been none made more than 10 years ago, but it's a bloody interesting wine.
Whites:
Semillon: has to be Tyrrell's Vat 1 though many will chose Mount Pleasant Lovedale. Even though the vat 1 doesn't in my opinion peak until beyond 10 years, it's still very, very good drinking at 10 years.
Peter Lehmann Margaret certainly hasn't put a foot wrong since it's inaugural 2002 vintage, and those 2002's are sublime drinking now, at 10 years of age.
Riesling: Gee, tricky one at $50 or thereabouts because at that price you pretty much cover the best of the best in Aussie Riesling with most good producers top single-vineyard rizza still coming in under $50. We really are in a golden era of Riesling in terms of quality available for your dollars. I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is no $50 Aussie Riesling that peaks at 10 years. There are many, many below $30 that do though, so I'm picking the Richmond Grove Limited Release. Each time I've had that at or close to 10 years it has knocked my socks off.
Chardonnay: Another tricky one for different reasons than the Semillon's and the Riesling's because I haven't tried too many 10-year old Aussie Chardonnay's that were any good. Certainly not for $50. I may need a suggestion here from some Lakes Folly mailing list member or something like that. Is there a Tassie or Margaret River producer that puts out a reasonably consistent ageing Chardy in that price range ?
Other White: Marsanne springs to mind, but there are none anywhere near $50.

OK, I've had my little $50 fantasy. Now I can go back to sleep !
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

Thommo

Post by Thommo »

"Other White: Marsanne springs to mind, but there are none anywhere near $50."

Tahbilk 1927 Vines reatails at $36 (current release is 2002), and it should go another 10 if the cork is sound.

paulf

Post by paulf »

The Petaluma Coonawarra isn't a bad option and thats around $50 I think.
I'm a Fan of the Turkey Flat which comes in under $50 as well and there are some very good Yalumba wines between the $40-$50 range.

Personally I find it harder with the whites - Obviously there are rieslings that will age that long. I haven't tied it yet but the 2011 Grosset Polish Hill but by all accounts that will age and the Lovedale is a good option.
I find it hard to pick a sub $50 chardy that I'd be confident would go 10 years - I'm sure that is a lack of exposure in my behalf though rather than there not being any.