Midweek Madness- 5th to 9th July

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
monghead

Midweek Madness- 5th to 9th July

Post by monghead »

Hi all,

New financial year.

Thought I'd test the waters with this thread again.

Monghead.

rens

Re: Midweek Madness- 5th to 9th July

Post by rens »

2009 stefano lubiana premavera pinot noir over two nights. Nice herbal notes with a bit to much oak and a watery finish. Just passable.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Pegasus Bay Pinot Noir 2006 - Opinions varied on this... I saw a 'touch of refermentation' note on CT, have to agree, but overall an easy drinking richer style Pinot. Not worth $55, but we did enjoy it far more than not, and bottle was emptied.

Thalgara Estate Show Reserve Shiraz 1998 - Oh my god I've turned into a brett nazi. Tried to like it, but it was a subtle band-aid frenzy. Great fruit trying to break free, such yummy temptation, but brett hinting it's way in everywhere. Duh, open something else midweek suitable. Am I doomed to be oversensitive to brett from here onwards? I suspect so, bugger. Already sensitive to TCA, now brett as well, wish the rest of my wine tasting abilities were half as good.....

Thorn-Clarke Shotfire Shiraz 2004 - now hoping for no brett, and yes, all clear. Tannins and a bit of heat slightly dominating, maybe an off bottle? Bloody auction wines again. Still OK though, half enjoy some, back in fridge, be interesting to see it tomorrow. The cork/provenance/brett frustrating clearout continues...... Going to be so interesting to see how screwcaps will change our success rates over the coming decades.

Cheers
Tim

monghead

Post by monghead »

2008 mac forbes gruyere pinot noir- Vibrant, fresh and silky. Very Good.

rooman

Post by rooman »

Mount Pleasant Elizabeth Semillon 2000 Still amazingly young. Light green/yellow hue. The acid structure is still strong in this one. Waxy, lemon sherbet fruit. I have a few left and I reckon I will probably leave them for another 2 years.

Lindeman Pyrus 1998 Nothing special. Soft tannins. Medium to full bodied, no particular depth of flavour or interest.

griff

Post by griff »

2007 Schafer-Frohlich Bockenauer Riesling Kabinett
Slight spritz. Slightly weighty for a Kabinett and a touch broad but intense. Not for long aging. Very Good.

2008 Noon Solaire
Tight and lean at first. After a few hours this has emerged into a fresh chocolate and caramel boysenberry whip. Yum and Very Good as well.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

ACG

Post by ACG »

Went to Becasse last night for the first of their 'Cellar Night' series dinners, at which you can BYO for $15 a bottle. Can thoroughly recommend it

Larmandier Bernier Terre de Vertus NV A Champagne that deserves a decant. Super dry, super long and just so pure and powerful. Awesome wine, absolutely loved it.

Jean Foilllard Cote du Py 2007 My last bottle of this and drinking beautifully. Beautiful red fruits matched to a denser heart of ironstone like richness. Lovely stuff.

Andrew

rens

Post by rens »

2006 Cirillo 1850's Old Vine Grenache I had this over 2 nights. The second night was even better than the first. The Grenache fruit jumps out of the glass to fill the nose. The palate doesn't stop-raspberry, cranberry, cherry and blue berry. It's like a berry coulis that I'd have with desert. The finish is long and intense. A very nice wine that will go another 5-10. Very Good
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

monghead

Post by monghead »

ACG wrote:Went to Becasse last night for the first of their 'Cellar Night' series dinners, at which you can BYO for $15 a bottle. Can thoroughly recommend it

Larmandier Bernier Terre de Vertus NV A Champagne that deserves a decant. Super dry, super long and just so pure and powerful. Awesome wine, absolutely loved it.

Jean Foilllard Cote du Py 2007 My last bottle of this and drinking beautifully. Beautiful red fruits matched to a denser heart of ironstone like richness. Lovely stuff.

Andrew

Andrew, was this a one-off event for Becasse to be BYO, or a regular thing?

Second that on the Foillard Cote du Py.

Monghead.

monghead

Post by monghead »

2005 Domaine Laroche les Vaudevey Premier Cru Chablis 2005-
Quite golden already. Crisp and flinty, with a touch of toasty butter. Good Good.

monghead.

ACG

Post by ACG »

monghead wrote:
ACG wrote:Went to Becasse last night for the first of their 'Cellar Night' series dinners, at which you can BYO for $15 a bottle. Can thoroughly recommend it

Andrew

Andrew, was this a one-off event for Becasse to be BYO, or a regular thing?

Second that on the Foillard Cote du Py.

Monghead.

Another one this time next month. Could make for an excellent venu for a top end offline...
Last edited by ACG on Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

ACG wrote:Another one this time next month. Could make for an excellent venue for a top end offline...

First Tuesday of the month. Sounds like a good time.

How about a group of us go on August 3rd and/or Sept 7th.....??

Cheers
TiggerK