Stocking a wine fridge - on the cheap

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Rawshack

Stocking a wine fridge - on the cheap

Post by Rawshack »

I love to prove how clever I am, honestly, I do. Sometimes I add up 3 numbers together and get the right answer. Brilliant.

I can show how clever I am in other ways, like spending a fortune on a temperature controlled cellar and then filling it with, well, crap. That's not strictly true, but it is true to say that there was little consideration added to the heady cocktail of excitement and (then) funds to buy wine

So, a few years down the line, I've been heading in there with mixed results. Some bottles have been great, others not so and some barely useable for vinegar. So now I'm in the position of wanting to restock - but on a budget

I can head to Tahbilk and grab a few Marsanne, Shiraz and Cabernet, and then other to the Eden or Clare for a myriad of riesling. I may even start looking at Hunter Semillon, something that has somehow escaped my attention for far too long.

Any other suggestions on affordable (Rawshacks polite way of saying 'cheap' age worthy wine?
The Dog of Wine

rens

Re: Stocking a wine fridge - on the cheap

Post by rens »

I think the Tahbilks are a great start. Next go to the local chain store when Wynns Black label cab is on special(around the $20 mark). 6 of those will keep for 10 years. Also try the Yalumba Cigar (2006) should keep for 10+years at around $25. I think Gavin has the 2008 which got a good writeup in Gormet traveller (though I have not tried it yet). The Fraser Gallop (2007) Cab was a cracker at around the $20 mark. Be hard to find it now but the 2008 should be out soon and this was a good MR vintage like the 2007. The 2007 will go to about 15years so I'd expect the same of the 2008. Don't know much about the white stuff, but someone here will give you a few tips.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

Taylors estate range from clare valley ages well and gives great cellar results for say 12 dollars a bottle on special , currently drinking the 98 and 02 cabenets .
Wynns shiraz ages well and same sort of $ , still drinking 99 and 02
Penfolds Koonunga hill shiraz/cab for say 8.50 on special still drinking 99,00,01,02 then no stock till recently
Yalumba galway shiraz............9 bucks can be a winner and their grenache is good as well

Have had mixed results with jacobs creek reserve range so no longer cellar this wine for longer term (like 5 Years is well and truly enough)

There are others but i must say for good reliable reds then these are what i recommend IMHO :mrgreen:

Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

Matt

Post by Matt »

the wynns 2008 shiraz should hold up and they are a bargain at around $12. im thinking of getting 6 myself.

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

rocket wrote:the wynns 2008 shiraz should hold up and they are a bargain at around $12. im thinking of getting 6 myself.

yes i must say brilliant . it was under 10 bucks on super special ..............for me to stash n c where they go

regardsdazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

Do you want big brands or will any little lesser known producer do ?

As Halliday has recently noted, Possums Vineyards in McLaren Vale have been producing ridiculously affordable and good quality reds for a few years now. I don't know what the current crop are like, but going on recent form, they'd be worth a look.
The 2009 Houghtons Classic White should age well.
You will find a number of cheaper producers out of Margaret River if you hunt around... Brown Hill Estate, Churchview, the cheaper end of the Hay Shed Hill portfolio, Willespie. From Great Southern, the Xabregas wines are cheap as chips, as are some of the Bellarmine wines. In fact many of the wines made through "The Vintage Wineworx" are worth looking at, as they appear to represent pretty good value.
Delatite and Barwite rieslings, Warrabilla, Meerea Park, Blue Pyrenees, Eden Springs, Fernfield, all appear to have good quality cheaper offerings.
Mount Pleasant Elizabeth in better years will age well, but I'm probably not telling you anything you don't know there. Tyrrell's cheaper semillon offerings are OK, too.
I'm a bit short on ideas for S.A and Vic wines, but there must be others with tips for you...
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

Fortune 3rd reg. attempt

Post by Fortune 3rd reg. attempt »

Suggestions for Vic Reds: White Box Heathcote Shiraz @$14/b; Seppelt Chalambar @$13ish/b, Tyrrells Rufus Stone $15-ish. I did like the Richard Hamilton McLaren Vale Shiraz @$13. Cheers, Geoff

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Barwang.
GW

ACG

Post by ACG »

Ditto for the Barwang (Cabernet) & the Tahbilk reds (Shiraz & Cabernet). The 08 Kirrihill Shiraz should cellar alright too and the Yalumba 'The Scribbler' is another good drinker that should get better. The latest Torzi Matthews Schist Rock is meant to be a goodun too (though I haven't had the 08 yet).

In whites it has to be Riesling. Taylors Riesling, Peter Lehmann Eden Riesling and the Jim Barry Watervale will set you back no more than $20 and go the distance. Add Mcwilliams Elizabeth Sem, Tahbilk Marsanne & a Hoddles Creek Chardonnay and you've got plenty to choose from.

AG

via collins

Post by via collins »

Ditto the Hoddles Creek chardonnay, and while you're there, saddle up some PN as well.

It's shaping up to be a mouth-watering cellar for sod-all investment. What a can-do forum this is!

AndrewCowley

Post by AndrewCowley »

Would suggest some 2007 Mt Pleasant Philip Shiraz. It drinks well now and should get better with a few years under its belt. Probably not a uber long termer however (3-5 years max). Can be had for under $15 a bottle.

2007 or 2008 Torbeck Woodcutters Shiraz is another one to consider. Would be an interesting experiment to see how it pans out after a few years. Around $20 per bottle.

2007 RingBolt Cab Sauv is another. A very good wine from a great MR vintage. Again around $20 per bottle. It has had a lot of good press, so might be hard to find though.

Rawshack

Post by Rawshack »

Thanks for the tips everyone - I've got the basis now for a good budget cellar :)

The quality of the wine I was putting in the cellar before wasn't in doubt, it was simply that I wasn't thinking about, or tracking, it's aging potential - or considering how it had been stored prior to purchase

Exciting, if slightly cheap, times ahead :)
The Dog of Wine