Midweekers- Jan 18th to 22nd

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
monghead

Midweekers- Jan 18th to 22nd

Post by monghead »

Hi all, been a little quiet for me this week. Only one to report:

2009 O'leary Walker Polish Hill River Riesling-
Great lime acidity with slatey minerality. Good Good.

What about you guys?

Cheers,

Monghead.

John #11

Re: Midweekers- Jan 18th to 22nd

Post by John #11 »

2009 Jim Barry Watervale Riesling
Like a lot of the 2009 Clare Valley Rieslings, it was bloody good.
2008 Hoddles Creek Chardonnay
Markedly improved since last tasted. A work of art (or very close IYKWIM)
2005 Wyndham Bin 555 sparkling shiraz
Just the thing for our warmish weather. Great with bbq meats.

Cheers
John

via collins

Post by via collins »

More love for the Hoddles Creek Chardonnay 2008 version. Took a bottle to Esposito here in Melbourne just prior to Christmas to match up with the superb seafood spread - and it was so damn good. I've been dipping into the Shaw & Smith M3, and the Yabby Lake chards of late, and hadn't cracked a Hoddles in a little while. I just can't believe how easily it matches up with the bigger boys.

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Another from the O’Leary (extended) clan
2008 Nick O’Leary Shiraz
Heard some hype about this last year, and it was good. Quite sweet, fruit forward & light, barely noticeable tannin, certainly a crowd pleaser. Particularly happy with 13.5% alc.

Bick

Post by Bick »

2005 Wirra Wirra Church Block
- Something not quite right here. Was not bad on release, as I recall, but now the fruit seems a touch over-ripe, lacking brighness, the oak too chunky and strident, and the overall impression is one of a wine that hasn't been introduced to word 'subtlety'. Based on this bottle, this was a drink-young crowd-pleaser. The 04 is better I think. :|
Cheers,
Mike

via collins

Post by via collins »

Ata Rangi Crimson 2008 pinot noir - deep red, verging on black colour. dark cherry, cedar, vanilla hints and a touch of forest floor early on. palate expands throughout, fruit presents more persuasively, and a rich, plush mouthfeel by the halfway mark. I reckon it's going to be even better tonight....oh boy.

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Rippon Pinot Noir 2006 - Loved it, a touch muted without a decant, then started to unfold rich complex layers of spicy fruit. Very Good.
Vasse Felix Chardonnay 2008 - not as good as the last bottle for some reason. Bit sweet, but with a slightly bitter finish. OK value, but only Just Good.
Kooyong Clonale Chardonnay 2008 - I like this one, nicely balanced and rich while retaining a clean freshness. Rather Good.

Cheers
TiggerK
Last edited by TiggerK on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Richmond Grove 2000 Riesling
An auction buy and a real surprise - fresh nose of slightly sulphury limes and lemon with a hint of honey and kero. Full bodied palate, quite viscous with rich mouthfeel and excellent length. Classic middle aged Riesling and far from being in a hole. A bargain for $12.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Red

Post by Red »

via collins wrote:More love for the Hoddles Creek Chardonnay 2008 version. Took a bottle to Esposito here in Melbourne just prior to Christmas to match up with the superb seafood spread - and it was so damn good. I've been dipping into the Shaw & Smith M3, and the Yabby Lake chards of late, and hadn't cracked a Hoddles in a little while. I just can't believe how easily it matches up with the bigger boys.

There probably isn't a better value for money chardonnay about at the moment . . . and I'd argue it's still too young and will be even better in a couple of years time!