A quick trip to Margaret River Day 2 ...

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
John #11

A quick trip to Margaret River Day 2 ...

Post by John #11 »

Winter trip, Day 2, Part 1, of the torture test (aka wine tour)

Picked up at 10:00 after a pretty good breakfast.
Only 6 of us in the tour group, so very roomy and relaxed. Optimal size for a tour group?

First stop was Xanadu (www.xanaduwines.com)

8 wines on for tasting. Prior to tasting the senior attendant (ouch) gave us a detailed lesson on how to hold the wine glass, how to sniff and swirl, and how to taste a generous mouthful. I always wanted to know how to do it the right way.

Xanadu currently has a Dragon series (every day affordable wines) and a Xanadu series (just a little up market). Alas we weren't privileged enough to taste any of their Lagan estate Cabernet reserves. :(

With a very long day of tasting ahead, we decided on using the "smiley face" rating scale.

2008 Dragon Sauvignon Blanc Semillon
Quite a surprise to see a Sauvignon dominant blend, however the Semillon controlled the palate, and it was crisp lemon sherbet and acid and a little distant cut grass, guava and passionfruit. That said, it was very gluggable, and would suit a warm summers day. 1 smiley face.

2008 Dragon Unoaked Chardonnay
Pure fruit, with apple, melon and crisp bitey acidity. WOuld really cut through a creamy chicken dish, but otherwise a little bland. 1 smiley face

2006 Xanadu Chardonnay
The first surprise of the day, I'd not had this before, and was pleasantly surprised.
Peach, nectarine, pears and spicey toasty oak. Grilled nuts and a medium long crisp finish.
Compared to the post-apocalyptic chardys we had on day one, this was very much "vive la revolution!!"
2 smiley faces, and a good buy at $22.50 Gold Medal Royal Melbourne 2007

2006 Secession White Cabernets
Yes, a "white" cabernet. Quite a unique taste sensation, and a favourite with the girls.
Forest berries and fruit, strawberries, raspberries, confected watermelon, Turkish delight.
Too sweet for me, and if this is what Southern Italian Rose tastes like, pass....
Begrudgingly 1 smiley face, because you can pick it up for $10

2007 Dragon Cabernet Sauvignon
Early drinking Cabernet? Not really made to go the distance, but I reckon it would do 5-10 years.
Blackberries, Dark mocha chocolate. Background toasty oak. Bloody good, 2 smiley faces.

2005 Xanadu Cabernet Sauvignon
Gutsy, pure MR Cabernet, what we want!
Mulberries, blackcurrants, old gold dark chocolate, very ripe tannins and spicy oak.
Now where's that thick steak we are longing for. 3 smiley faces, what? did I hear $25 a bottle, then back up the truck!
Silver medallist, but I forget where.

2005 Xanadu Shiraz
A light bodied shiraz, but good, and almost pinot like (following on from the full bodied Cabernet above).
Plums, forest berries, Redskins!, spicey, but elegant oak.
Tannins nowhere to be seen. Also a Gold medallist, but only 1 smiley face from me.

2004 Xanadu Shiraz
Listed as a clearance wine, but it compared well with the 2005 shiraz above, maybe hinting at where the 2005 is heading.
A little more full-bodied, but still south of medium-bodied, but at least it had some guts and glory, genuine violets, plums, and wood. Still couldn't find the tannins, but was generous and gave it 2 smiley faces.

A great way to spend a morning, the 10am start was daunting, it's a hard job, and somebody had to do it!

Well worth the visit. 7/10 smiley Feng Shui faces.

Then we moved on to Leeuwin Estate winery.....

To be continued...

John #11

Post by John #11 »

Leeuwin Estate (www.leeuwinestate.com.au)

We learnt it is still a family owned and run winery, and we learnt of the famous concerts!
The atmosphere, the setting, the smiley and helpful staff really made us feel welcome, and made the whole experience just that much better.

Lots of wines available for tasting, and a mature Cabernet really surprises!

2008 Classic White
Lots of crisp, fresh fruit, including pineapple, lemon and lime, tangerine and mandarine. Green apple finish.
Despite the multi-fruit flavours, it remains quite a simple blend, with only fleeting interest. 1/2 smiley face

2008 Siblings Sauvignon Semillon Blanc
Another pleasant SSB, virtually indistinguishable from all the others. 1 smiley face

2008 Art Series Sauvignon Blanc
Green grass, racey acidity, long lemony and sherbety finish made me wonder whether there is any semillon in this one, but apparently not. 1 smiley face

2007 Art Series Riesling
Quite a good effort, but IMO just a little simple, lacking in definition, but green apples and a great acid finish and a promise of things to come. 1 smiley face.

2007 Prelude Chardonnay
A pretty decent effort, and if you can't afford the following wine, then I'll drink this one with you on any occasion.
Pears, creme bruleee, toasty cashew nuts, spicey and distinctive toasty French oak. This will peak in a couple of years, good for 2 smiley faces.

2006 Art Series Chardonnay
Such a young wine, but oh, so special.
The 2005 was <special>, but this will be the new standardeveryone else aims for.
Leaner, but at the same time, super-concentrated fruit, with all the fat trimmed, I stopped timing the finish when after 2 minutes I could still taste it.
This will be acclaimed as their best <<ever>> when in a few years it just starts to open up.
3 smiley faces (the max). Did I mention the superb balance?

2004 Prelude Cabernet Merlot
SUperbly soft in the mouth, with black olives, plums, some red fruit and cotton-wool tannins. I pretty much convinced myself I could taste Petit Verdot in there?
Needs lots of time. Like drinking velvet. 1 smiley face

2004 Art Series Cabernet Sauvignon
I thought the Art Series Chardonnay was pretty special, but this, in its own way is almost as good.
Mulberry, blackberry, dark chocolate, herbs and cassis. Fine and grippy tannins, spicey and cedary French oak. Legs to last 20 years (or more), a great MR cabernet.
Drink 2015-2025. 3 smiley faces.

2007 Art Series Shiraz
Medium-to-full bodied shiraz, with plums, red cherries, aniseed, vanilla and milk chocolate. Amazing intensity of fruit and flavour, a generous spicey and savoury finish.
Ripe but soft tannins. 3 smiley faces easily.

1992 Art Series Cabernet Sauvignon
Still a lovely garnet red, but subdued nose, only a little fruit, very flat, everyone said it tasted like sweaty socks. Our attendant said she had a cold, and couldnt taste the wine properly. Disappointed.

Overall, a very impressive range of wines, and an enjoyable tasting.

8/10 Feng Shui smiley faces.

Next stop Voyager, for tastings and lunch...

monghead

Post by monghead »

Great write ups John.

That makes more than a handful of great reviews for the Leeuwin AS Cab Sav. I have never been impressed with this wine from other vintages in the past, but I must look into this vintage...

Cheers,

Monghead.

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

Hello John :?: Did you spend the whole day there :wink: LOL

Now john i hope your not fully booked as i have a friend down there who is a wine addict and he has a huge cellar ........Of all different all sorts >wonderfull guy and great wife as well ...........Details James Llewellin and place is llewelyns Guest house 64 Yates rd Margaret river and number is 9757 9516 also 0419 960 997 ,

I am sure if you love wine then he will be able to assist you in looking for smaller wineries of premium quality and will probably share a couple from his cellar

Regards Dazza

p.s tell him Darren Clarke from your shout sent you !

also if your around we have a get together at the bottle shop to try dome wonderful wines (if you are interested)

Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

John #11

Post by John #11 »

dazza1968 wrote:Hello John :?: Did you spend the whole day there :wink: LOL

Actually we went to 4 more wineries that day, Voyager, Watershed, Pierro and Moss Brothers, so there is still tasting notes for about 40 more wines coming (hence why I called it a torture test).....

Cheers

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

Good to hear Xanadu back on track, always thought they were underrated. Their Shiraz is a bit unkown but is better than most in MR. Last I tried was the 2001 vintage which was great drinikng straight away. Look forward to more posts.

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

John #11 wrote:
dazza1968 wrote:Hello John :?: Did you spend the whole day there :wink: LOL

Actually we went to 4 more wineries that day, Voyager, Watershed, Pierro and Moss Brothers, so there is still tasting notes for about 40 more wines coming (hence why I called it a torture test).....

Cheers
John you have been busy ! Shows your passion ...........brilliant really

Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

John #11

Post by John #11 »

Voyager estatewinery (www.voyagerestate.com.au)

Dutch influence
Immaculate gardens and Dutch styled buildings.

Comment of the day: "Even the toilets are heavily oaked" If you've been there, you will understand.

6 wines on tasting (hooray) I rate 4 only.

2008 Voyager Estate Chenin Blanc
Vibrant. Guava, passionfruit (tropical) and melon, peach (stonefruit) and lots of apples. Lovely topical fruit salad.
Oh joy, just lovely, and a perfect surprise before lunch.
Perfect balance, egotistical, yet introverted at the same time. IMO THE BEST Chenin Blanc in Aus. 3 smiley faces. Shakespeare might give it 4.

2006 Voyager Estate Chardonnay
Grapefruit, pith,, fig, citrus, honey dew, and stone fruits, creamy nuts and barrel derived lees characters and enough MLF for discerning tasters.
This is one of Australias great chardonnays, very underrated. 2006 was a cool vintage, 2007 has warmer, but will be better.
3 smiley faces. 06 is warm, 07 is ice cool, so don't be afraid to mix and match. Lovely wine.

2007 Voyager Estate Girt by Sea (Cabernet Merlot)
We had this with our meal of Voyager Plate, and weren't disappointed.
AT around $25 a bottle, you could look long anf far for a better wine.
Blackberries, Black cherries, briary, earthy, peaty undergrowth, dark chocolate and coffee, and coarse earthy tannins. Strong, savoury and MR herbal finish.
2.75 smiley faces (OK give it "nearly" 3)

2004 Voyager Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot
Their top of the range red.
A pleasure to taste this. will revisit in 10 years.
Blood plums, dark chocolateand cedar, dark cherries, blackberries, plenty of vanillin oak, earth and tobacco. I can't drink this now, some might, but I think it will be better in 5-10 years, or maybe more.
An easy 3 smiley faces, but clearly better than smileys allow. God given wine. And nary a hint of Brett.

We had a lovely lunch.
They were training some staff, but it wasn't hard to take.

The toilets wer oak panelled with gold plated fitting, hence the comments.

Next: Watershed - the torture test.

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

John, I beleive the Tom Price is their top of the range red. Obviously they didn't have it on tasting and you don't often see tasting notes for it. Hard to part with $100 odd when the normal cab merlot is so good, I guess.

Interesting to see your notes on the chenin blanc. I might try and track one down to try. Thanks.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

xsorxpire

Post by xsorxpire »

John #11 wrote:Next: Watershed - the torture test.

*Ahem*

John #11

Post by John #11 »

Sorry for the delay, have been otherwise distracted by an invalid relative. :(

Day 2 continued...

Watershed Premium Wines
(Corner of Bussell Highway & Darch Road Margaret River)

A most scenic setting. A huge natural lake ("watershed") fed by its own natural aquifer. Beautiful Feng Shui, a purpose built tasting room and restaurant to accentuate the surreal vista.

16 (yes sixteen) wines on tasting, hence my description "torture test") just what we needed after a hearty lunch at Voyager.

2008 Shades Sauvignon Blanc Semillon
A refreshing twist on the SSB theme, ethnic TV would enjoy the mix!
Fresh grapefruit amid cut grass and crisp citrussy acid. Refreshing, sound and well priced. 1 smiley face

2008 Senses Sauvignon Blanc
Nice to see a straight SB, sound, tasted like SB, but a bit overpriced. 1 smiley face.

2008 Shades Unoaked Chardonnay
Crisp, lean and minerally, with a very dry finish. Served way too cold, but nevertheless a sound wine, very drinkable, worthy of 2 smiley faces.

2007 Awakenings Chardonnay
Disappointing, somewhat fatty and very loose mouthfeel. Perhaps a "lazy" chardonnay, struggled to give this 1 smiley face.

2008 Senses Viognier
minus 1 smiley face. Tannic, over-acidic, not enjoyable for me.

2008 Senses Chenin
A good effort, well defined fruit, crisp, nicely acidic, great value. 1 smiley face

Shades Sweet Margaret (NV)
Cheap, and altogether not too bad, a great palate cleanser before the reds that followed. 1 smiley face.

2008 Shades Rose
One of the best MR rose's we had during the trip.
Strawberries, sweet cherries, crisp and fine dry finish. Great fun on a warm summer day. 2 smiley faces.

2007 Shades Grenache Shiraz
I'm a big fan of this blend (in general anyway) but this was just lacking. Neither of the elements were very good. Barely 1 smiley face.

2007 Shades Merlot
A very good merlot, everything in place, ageworthy, balanced, smooth and soft long finish. 2 smiley faces, maybe close to 3.

2007 Shades Cabernet Franc
Also a good wine, from the great 2007 vintage. A very feminine cabernet, with classical herb, cigar box, cherries and forest flowers. 2 smiley faces. Just a great wine.

2005 Shades Shiraz Cabernet
Bin 389 it is NOT. But it is elegant, and pleasing, and a darn good effort at half the price of Bin 389. 1+ smiley faces.

2005 Senses Shiraz
Without a doubt, one of the top 3 shiraz we had during the trip, and well worth sourcing at around $25 a bottle. RIght up there with the 2007 Leeuwin Art Series Shiraz. 3 smiley faces.

2008 Senses Zinfandel
Perhaps an acquired taste, or maybe needed something red and bleeding. I thought very much true to the Californian recipe, and all it needed was more time to really shine. Very big, very bold and very ballsey. 2.5 smiley faces, and a real bargain at $25

2005 Senses Cabernet Merlot
Unfortunately, everything after the Zin was always going to be a disappointment, and this was. Too soft, too blurry and barely rated 1 smiley face.

2007 Awakening Cabernet
The flagship Cab, and well worth the wait.
Everything you would want in a cabernet, from the great 2007 vintage. Super wine, with grippy, long-legged tannins, rich and well balanced. Cellar this for 10-15 years and reap some very rich rewards. 3 smiley faces

and there we have the "torture test".
16 wines, mostly good or better, quite an achievement really.

Next stop, Pierro.

soon....

Cheers, John.

xsorxpire

Post by xsorxpire »

Thanks for filling in the blanks.