A Sydney tasting group based on the Lower north shore

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
cuttlefish

Re: A Sydney tasting group based on the Lower north shore

Post by cuttlefish »

TiggerK wrote:Is it just me being impatient, or are some of the original instigators of this LNS concept being notably absent from subsequent discussions?? I'm not ultra keen on regularly attending the distance to inner west personally, and assuming I'm not alone, perhaps you guys/gals might look at a new thread for your particular area, and we'll see how many North Shore'ers feel like continuing the concept forward.

I got quite excited by the idea, but postings seemed to dry up rapidly. I didn't think it was that hard to sort out...

Cheers

Next Wednesday evening at my house in Mosman. Chardonnay (WA vs Victoria) is the theme. I'll start a new thread about it

Cheers,

Cf
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

9redpens

Post by 9redpens »

My idea was more to pander to both groups by ensuring the numbers where viable before running a simultaneous tasting in the west.

I think it’s a numbers game so feel it wouldn’t be in the group’s best interest to segregate?????

The numbers are relatively small as I’ve seen fully funded (mature cellar contributed by members) affiliated sub branches of the food and wine society fall apart with a larger member base then everyone who has so far put their hand up for the north and the inner west combined.

So I’m certainly not trying to highjack or preach (where’s my thesaurus, wrong word but hopefully people get my drift), as I couldn’t make the initial, shall we say inaugural meeting.

That said, way to go CF, its already alive and I have no doubt what’s scheduled for the rest of this year is certainly viable. 8)

The thread for the first meeting is up, for those interested.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10569

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

We'll leave the details of the get together to the other thread, but talking generally, I suspect these things are best kept very casual, with minimal losses due to possible lack of commitment from members. None of us know each other in person, that's a factor, also last minute obligations/work etc can play a part. Numbers can never really be known until the last minute, turning up with some wine is the ultimate numbers game! We don't have to segregate, if you want to come to an organised event, just do it!!

Cheers
TiggerK

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Actually, quite a few of us already know each other from offlines over the years.

I'm personally all in favour of seperating the tastings only because I won't drive over the bridge if I'm drinking (or for any other reason really) and Mosman and that way aren't really so easy to ge to via public transport - or more to the point get home from once peak hour is over. If something was on the train line on the North Shore, I'd be happy to join in but Mosman and that area is just a pain for me.

The offlines are notorious for having last minute drop outs and it's hard to see why this would be any different but some level of commitment would be good if the host is planning on buying any food at all.

I might start a new inner west thread to get it rolling.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)