Wines that changed the industry

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Different sub-regions of Great Southern though Davo. I remembered seeing Forest Hill's bragging rights on their website, had to check the Plantagenet site - I make a goose of myself often enough as it is.

Cheers

daz

Jay60A

Post by Jay60A »

n4sir wrote:
Jay60A wrote:
Davo wrote:
n4sir wrote:
1998 Chris Ringland (Three Rivers) Shiraz - the first of the 'Parkerised' wines, quickly followed by Noon & WDC. A whole new export avenue opened to the USA for smaller producers on the back of these first reviews, and a new major influence on local winemaking styles was taking form...

Cheers,
Ian

Greenock Creek RR 1995 (" this is one of the greatest Shiraz I have ever tasted" RP) 1996 & 1998 all 100 Parker Points

Three Rivers 1995 (99 points) 1996 and 1998 both 100 points

I think you have to identify the Industry change, then the wine, and the decide if the wine (or maker) really did something that caused the change.

Cheers -- Jay

Chris Ringland's Three Rivers was mentioned in Campbell Mattinson's book "Why the French Hate Us" as the starting point of the Parker effect, quickly followed by Noon & WDC, which is why I picked them out (he didn't mention Greenock Creek though - maybe they preceded them, or happened the same time or even afterwards). I stuffed up on the dates/vintages though - it would have been the 1995 vintage that was reviewed in 1998, which is where I went amiss. :oops:

When you try and narrow it down, it's hard to nail down specific wines that really influenced/represented the whole Australian wine industry at a major point in its history, which is what I've tried to pick. Not just the first major wine in a particular region or the first of its type, one that has had a major impact on virtually everything, everywhere. That's one reason I think Yellowtail deserves a mention (for better or worse) in addition to Jacob's Creek.

Cheers,
Ian

Yeah, completely agree and what you said I'm reinforcing. Too easy to say a great wine or new region, but did it change the industry? Do you go for the groundbreaker (seed) wine or the first major success wines (the tree)?

I think the seed wines so probably Grosset for screwcaps from me was flawed.

I DO NOT think Shiraz Viognier changes the industry. It's a fad that will pass given time. Screwcaps, blending and winemaker traditional, Grange will not ...

Jay

Great topic.
“There are no standards of taste in wine. Each mans own taste is the standard, and a majority vote cannot decide for him or in any slightest degree affect the supremacy of his own standard". Mark Twain.