Sydney Offline pre-Christmas

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Hacker

Re: Sydney Offline pre-Christmas

Post by Hacker »

Thanks for the great night lads, as previously stated hard to pick an outright WOTN, but did enjoy the Ochota as previously mentioned, and the Chambolle. Sorry I did not kick on, but I was worried about receiving four portable toilets at 6am this morning :shock:
Imugene, cure for cancer.

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

Great evening...a lot good wine and even better company....

Xage - Good food although we seemed to get everything at once and closing at 10 means they want us out by 10.

I think we had a total of 15 wines? Someone probably has all the details..

catchnrelease

Post by catchnrelease »

As mentioned good food, good company and great wine. No duds which was pleasing. WOTN for me would probably be the 1996 Rockford Grenache, but for curio value the 1967 Quelltaler Claret stands out. Showing very well for its age and looks! I also snuck the Angove in blind, seeing how people picked it as a $20 wine when it's in fact $8 goes to show its value for money! A favourite of mine because of that.

Full line up was:
NV Jacques Selosse Initial Grand Cru Blanc de Blanc Champagne
2013 Felton Road Dry Riesling
2000 Brauneberger Juffer Auslese Mosel-Saar-Ruwer Riesling
2012 Clonakilla Viognier
2012 Oakridge 864 Single Block Chardonnay
2008 Toolangi Reserve Chardonnay
2006 Domaine Francois Berthau Chambolle Musigny
2012 Angove Long Row Cabernet Sauvignon
2009 Ochota Barrels Grenache
1996 Rockford Dry Country Grenache
1967 Quelltaler San Carlo Claret Shiraz Grenache
2006 Unison Selection Hawkes Bay Syrah Cab Merlot
1996 Wendouree Cabernet Malbec
2011 Pyramid Valley Howell Family Vineyard Cabernet Franc
2007 Chateau Roumieu-Lacoste Sauternes
NV Navazos Gran Solera Pedro Ximenez
Last edited by catchnrelease on Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

(Edit started at lunchtime, had to work, back and posted, only to see Alex posted the list already.)

Such a lively night of chatting, laughing and enjoying the wines. So no notes and just a few bottle pics.

As Polymer said, only issue with Xage was the onslaught of all six main dishes all arriving within 2 minutes of each other. OK, that's probably how it's done, just a bit of a shock!

The few tables at the end were all using one another as excuses why they shouldn't be kicked out, which was amusing. (Hey you can't ask us to leave, look at those other tables still here - those other tables were saying the same of us). And a fun footpath mini party was happening outside for a while before we all went our own way (train/taxi/LoveTillyDevine).

Food was really good, just hard to appreciate because it was all such a rush! But once we had eaten (I saved a bowl of rice and delicious braised pork for the reds), we all settled into it, relaxed and had a fab night.

Menu.. Mixed entree platter of: Crispy chicken spring rolls, Chicken nem nuong skewers, Mixed duck and honey tofu summer rolls

Mains: Berkshire pork shoulder kho, Black tiger prawn with okra, lemongrass chilli sauce, Salt and pepper squid with shallot and ginger
Duck fillet papaya salad in basil chilli peanut dressing, Grilled Tasmanian ocean trout cha cá in herbs and spices, Spicy beef curr
y

Wines....

Jacques Selosse Initial Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Champagne NV
Felton Road Dry Riesling 2013
Max Ferdinand Richter Braunberger Juffer Riesling Auslese 2000
Clonakilla Viognier 2012
Toolangi Reserve Chardonnay 2008
Oakridge 864 Funder & Diamond Chardonnay 2012
Domaine Bertheau Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru 2006
Ochota Barrels Grenache 2009
Rockford Dry Country Grenache 1996
Angove Long Row Cab Sav 2012
Quelltaler San Carlo Claret 1967 (McLaren Vale Shiraz Grenache)
Wendouree Cabernet Malbec 1996
Unison Selection Hawke's Bay 2006
Pyramid Valley Howell Family Hawke's Bay Cabernet Franc 2011
Chateau Roumieu-Lacoste Sauternes 2007
Navazos Pedro Ximenez Gran Solera NV

Selosse was a hit with me, some oak and a touch of oxidative character. Plenty of interest, yet fresh, without being overworked. Excellent, thanks Hacker!
Felton Riesling was lovely, fresh, zingy, spritzy, whack of citrus and just a hint of RS. Good stuff.
The Richter Auslese suffered a touch from being a bit warm, but it's a quality wine and seemed to only have a moderate level of sweetness. I'm always a big fan of Mosel with some age.
Clonakilla 2012 seems dialed back compared to a recent 2008, maybe needs age, or a leaner vintage? Give it some time either way, should be decent.
Toolangi was also dialed back (on the oak) thankfully compared to the 2007 I recall from a few years back. Pretty good, but perhaps not as memorable as it should be for the price?
The Oakridge started off very muted, with plenty of sulphur. With 1/2 hour in the glass it started to emerge... nicely. Still an elegant, restrained style of chardy, I'd love to see it in 5 or 10 years.
The Chambolle was a cracking way to start into the reds. If I had to critique, it's perhaps a hint sweet & fruit driven, with less savoury and structure elements than I'd like. But it's a delicious Burg nonetheless, and I'd be drinking it now-5 years. Thanks Mick!
Ochota Barrels (pre the Fugazi moniker) was silky smooth, with fine tannins and genuine nicely ripened grenache fruit. Enjoyed it, suggest drink soon.
The Rockford Grenache 1996 was a real highlight, some complex aged interest, structure and character to burn. Thanks Dave!
The Angove was served blind. We were guessing young Aussie, prob 2012, $17-20? Alex enjoyed revealing it was an $8 Cabernet! His VFM quaffer. Hard to pick as Cabernet (I suspect it's got 14% Shiraz), but certainly good for an $8 wine, and a few years should improve it too. Fun.
Quelltaler 1967. A Dave Suitcase Auction Classic. Still some sweet fruit and tannins! Tasty piece of history, punching well above it's weight and exceeding all expectations.
Wendouree Cab Malbec 96 - Plenty of VA giving a varnishy note through the palate. I suspected very low level TCA, but was alone in this thought. Big fruit and oodles of structure though, not a bad wine, just not a great one either. Always a treat to try a Wendouree with some age though, thanks for bringing it Alex!
The Unison was solid, but felt like it's just on the verge of starting to develop some more complexity, oak was integrating well, it should be very tasty in 5-10 years.
I'm a fan of Pyramid Valley, and their Cab Franc ticks lots of boxes for me. I really like this wine, beautiful tannins and grip, nice mouthfeel. Rocking way to finish the reds.
PX - mmm PX.... never fails to impress.
The Sauternes was another classy wine, sweetness, fruit and acid all in good balance. Wish we'd had a dessert to match, although it had a lovely creme brulee taste already going on.

Basic notes, but hopefully give some idea of the wines. No duds, just a nice varied bunch of very interesting bottles. Great night, thanks to everyone for their company and contributions!! Bring on the next one!

Cheers
Tim

Bottle Pics....

ufo

Post by ufo »

catchnrelease wrote:As mentioned good food, good company and great wine. No duds which was pleasing. WOTN for me would probably be the 1996 Rockford Grenache, but for curio value the 1967 Quelltaler Claret stands out. Showing very well for its age and looks! I also snuck the Angove in blind, seeing how people picked it as a $20 wine when it's in fact $8 goes to show its value for money! A favourite of mine because of that.

Full line up was:
NV Jacques Selosse Blanc de Blanc Champagne
2013 Felton Road Dry Riesling
2000 Brauneberger Juffer Auslese Mosel-Saar-Ruwer Riesling
2012 Clonakilla Viognier
2012 Oakridge 864 Single Block Chardonnay
2008 Toolangi Reserve Chardonnay
2006 Domaine Francois Berthau Chambolle Musigny
2012 Angove Long Row Cabernet Sauvignon
2009 Ochota Barrels Grenache
1996 Rockford Dry Country Grenache
1967 Qualltaler San Carlo Claret Shiraz Grenache
2006 Unison Selection Hawkes Bay Syrah Cab Merlot
1996 Wendouree Cabernet Malbec
2011 Pyramid Valley Howell Family Vineyard Cabernet Franc
2007 Chateau Roumieu-Lacoste Sauternes
NV Navazos Gran Solera Pedro Ximenez

Wow, u'd better watch :!: u r pushing u'r luck :?: How dare u bring a $ 8 wine :!: :?: U might be singled out very soon and picked on.
Now u can't say I din't warn you :mrgreen:

Krusty

Post by Krusty »

Great night lads (well, once i finally got there :) )
Like Tim, thought everything was a bit rushed but that was also a byproduct of turning up almost an hour late and trying to play catch up.
Great banter, great food, great wines. Standouts for me was the Selosse, the Rockford and the Mosel. Not a dud in the line up though, all were enjoyable.Afters at LTD were certainly not needed but very enjoyable, such a great little place with an outstanding list. Dave PM me your details and what I owe you.
Thanks to all the attendees for their generosity, in particular Hacker for the Selosse treat, always a fantastic fun night and I would encourage any Sydney based forumites to join in the next one when it pops up, i can assure you that you will have a memorable wine experience with a fun but very clever bunch !