Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
phillisc

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by phillisc »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:
JamieBahrain wrote:Yeah shame you put such delightful wines amongst the riffraff here.
Yes, it's time to be a bit more clear about our tasting note threads here on Auswine Forum. Starting in the new year we should have two different threads:

- January 2020 Tasting Notes of Riffraff Wines, and
- January 2020 Tasting Notes of Premium Wines.

We could also have a "What Are The Riffraff Drinking Tonight". Oops, I meant to say "What Riffraff Wines Are You Drinking Tonight"

Mahmoud.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha Mahmoud
to make things simpler and puts me firmly in one category ( riffraff :wink: ):
What international wines are you drinking tonight
What national wines are you drinking tonight

Appreciate that there may be some cross over for those who are offshore

Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

As long as you know its a Barolista thing and not a class war- there was a dolcetto in Rossco's line up!
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Ian S wrote:
JamieBahrain wrote:Yeah shame you put such delightful wines amongst the riffraff here.
Oi! I resemble that remark!! :wink:

At a slight tangent, a friend dug out a 1991 (UK) Oddbins price list this weekend. It's always interesting to see how relative prices have changed. Whilst we all know about Penfolds price escalation (Bin707 was £15 a bottle), I didn't realise they also stocked Giacomo Conterno in Oddbins at that time. Arneis, plus Barolo (about £14 IIRC) , Barolo Riserva (£20?), but the one that stood out was 1979 Monfortino, the only Monfortino I've ever drunk, was a princely £23 a bottle.

If anyone has a TARDIS they aren't using, then I'd like to hire it please.
707 has kept up with quality Sydney and Melbourne property prices by the looks! Not least in part ( property ) or in full ( 707 ) due mainland Chinese money. I'll borrow that TARDIS ...

Monfortino was an absolute no brainer. It only became very silly in 2004.

Teobaldo Cappellano

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

JamieBahrain wrote:As long as you know its a Barolista thing and not a class war- there was a dolcetto in Rossco's line up!
To be fair, that was a 'trick' wine brought by a participant to see if we could tell the difference between his real wine and
this one.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Fair enough. A pretty good expression of dolcetto too so if you drink the stuff should be able to pick. Your note gave it away. If you drank dolcetto ( you said your first time ) you sure would have picked it.

Crafted and high quality barbera with age is a great spoof for Barolo. Dark, extracted premium barbera fruit has that "tar" like quality.

Teobaldo Cappellano

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

JamieBahrain wrote:
Ian S wrote:
Oi! I resemble that remark!! :wink:

At a slight tangent, a friend dug out a 1991 (UK) Oddbins price list this weekend. It's always interesting to see how relative prices have changed. Whilst we all know about Penfolds price escalation (Bin707 was £15 a bottle), I didn't realise they also stocked Giacomo Conterno in Oddbins at that time. Arneis, plus Barolo (about £14 IIRC) , Barolo Riserva (£20?), but the one that stood out was 1979 Monfortino, the only Monfortino I've ever drunk, was a princely £23 a bottle.

If anyone has a TARDIS they aren't using, then I'd like to hire it please.
707 has kept up with quality Sydney and Melbourne property prices by the looks! Not least in part ( property ) or in full ( 707 ) due mainland Chinese money. I'll borrow that TARDIS ...

Monfortino was an absolute no brainer. It only became very silly in 2004.
Yes indeed in a wine store yesterday...store person trying to convince young Asian female buyer to consider a whole host of old world, premium and 'rare' wines to buy...'no I only want 707, where is it'. At $650 a bottle :shock: :roll: 'then you gift wrap!'...in a brown paper bags :lol: :lol:
I was very happy with my Yalumba Signature
Cheers Craig

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Not bad. That's the equivalent of five tonne of iron ore shipped out of Whyalla to China- all in a 750ml bottle!

I hope you told her its a great drop. We want a strong South Australia. Who could forget the State Bank?

Teobaldo Cappellano

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

CD097972-0242-4EC2-9386-119C36733D3C.jpeg
I think it’s important to keep on tasting wines that are either outside my normal budget, made from grapes i don’t like or come from areas I’m not keen on. This is a generic Pinot from SA which I presume is in the $10 to $20 range - it was a work Xmas present. Words can’t really justify how bad it is. I gave 1* on Vivino, which I normally reserve for faulty wines.

This is sweet, round manufactured wine. It has lots of vanilla and coconut, has a creamy texture, fills the mouth and has the faintest hint of Blueberry. It tastes alcoholic, and i’d guess that the 13% really means 14.5%. Other than the label, there is nothing here to make me think ‘Pinot’. It’s a dire wine, designed for the Red Bull and Vodka generation. I’ve seen this brand advertised a lot and I presume that helps explain the popularity. Avoid.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Served in the Qantas Club. Say no more.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

This is quite popular here in Canada, it is well promoted and often on promotion. Crime seems to an apt name, nineteen fold!

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

A brand created by TWE in 2012 with lots of marketing, its own website, and even an augmented reality mobile app. Sold locally and in the North American and UK markets.

[url]https://www.19crimes.com/[/url]

A few other varietals also available including Shiraz, Cabernet and Chardonnay.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

16 Rockford EV Riesling...magnificent with oysters. Cheers Craig

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

Ozzie W wrote:A brand created by TWE in 2012 with lots of marketing, its own website, and even an augmented reality mobile app. Sold locally and in the North American and UK markets.

going gang busters in the US I hear, now second to Yellow Tail (by volume) I have heard

crusty2

Post by crusty2 »

Matt@5453 wrote:
Ozzie W wrote:A brand created by TWE in 2012 with lots of marketing, its own website, and even an augmented reality mobile app. Sold locally and in the North American and UK markets.

going gang busters in the US I hear, now second to Yellow Tail (by volume) I have heard
Yes. Made with 18 different branded corks for the US market. There may be a cork "collectable" influence on this brand.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/19-Crimes-Collectab ... 2922377058

Distributed in Australia under screwcap therefore no "collectible" influence in Aust and regularly discounted to clear stocks
Drink the wine, not the label.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Couple of stunning Old Block 95 and 96. Professional cellared since release . Lovely at Finos in Barossa which is a high end regional bistro for mine .

Wolf Blass Black label 04 I opened for a typical audience for this style and a couple of amazing Mt Mary Triolet 1997’s.

Also a Rockford SVS Flaxman 2005 which was monolithic and not necessary for this amazing vineyard. Great wine but just seemed big - forgot to check the %

Teobaldo Cappellano

Rory

Post by Rory »

Work BBQ, in no particular order.

2016 Polperro Mill Hill Chardonnay and 2016 Polperro Landavidy Lane Chardonnay.
I put these two together as they were somehow lacking in fruit flavour or drive. 2016 may have been an average vintage. Whilst not bad, just a little disappointing for what I know they can be.
2012 Hoddles 1er Chardonnay.Still drinking really well. Compared to the two above, shows that struck match complexity on the nose and power through to the long palate.
2008 Shaw and Smith M3 Chardonnay. Whilst looking its age, still has some acid left, with volumes of flavour.
2008 Hurley Vineyard Garamond Pinot Noir. Wow, was this still alive and kicking! Fresh Alluring fruit and wonderfull finish. Suprise of the night.
2015 Handpicked Central Otago Pinot Noir. Typical of the area that I don't like... big and alcoholic.
2006 Produttori Barbaresco. If I'm correct, this is one of those years there was no Single Vineyard releases? Either way, a sublime ethereal wine.
2012 Wynns Black Label. I really like this vintage. Whilst not a blockbuster, the fruit is balanced by Great structure and fine grainy tannins. A great red meat wine.

Rory

Post by Rory »

And a couple ore from last night....

2010 Trimbach Frederic Emile. Beautiful wine, young for its age, length and balance.
2011 Domaine Faiveley Bienvenue Batard Montrachet GG. A tad broad on first opening, then tightened up and strutted its stuff. Cant say it will get better with age though as everything seems in place right now.
2012 Confuron Cotetidot Vosne Romanee. Lovely pretty wine, looking very youthfull. Perhaps lacking the structure to go a long way, but really enjoyed it on such a warm night.
Leherte Freres BdB Zero Dosage. Ferment natural... of course :roll: however, it sang. Considering zero dosage, it was quite broad and juicy rather than the acid sting I was expecting. Great bead and length.

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

44 degrees in the shade at Polish Hill River today with the hottest part of the day yet to come, calls for a nice Riesling:

2013 Pikes Merle Reserve Riesling

Limes, wet stone with a touch of sweetness. Medium acid feeling like it is softening out, in all drinking nicely for mine. Served at Pike's Slate Restaurant.

followed by

2015 Villa Calcinaia Chianti Classico DOCG Sangiovese Blend

Served after 1 hour decant. Medium bodied at best. Dark plums, dark cherries, a touch of leather, hint of coffee grounds, soft tannins with a well-rounded finish. Very approachable. Thoroughly enjoyable.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Glad Matt you are toughing it out ...at Slate!! The Merle is a dessert island wine...its in my top 5 Rieslings
Rode home today 44.5 No wonder my nostrils felt like fire. Having a 2012 OLW Polish Hill to cool down with.
Cheers Craig

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Rory wrote: 2006 Produttori Barbaresco. If I'm correct, this is one of those years there was no Single Vineyard releases? Either way, a sublime ethereal wine.
Correct, albeit a late decision to put it all into the standard bottling. Hence much fevered referencing of bottling lot numbers (mainly on US forums) to work out which lots had which %s of wine that had been earmarked for riserva bottlings (early ones were solely that originally planned to be in the standard bottling, with later bottlings having a mix).

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Very interesting Ian. So people were on the hunt for the later lots, the reasoning being that the decision to mix in the riserva lots came after the initial release of the regularal Barbaresco. It's the opposite scenario of the time they were looking for the earlier lots of Schild Estate Shiraz (can't remember the vintage), a highly rated wine so as not to buy Schild's mock-up version that was cynically rushed into production.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Ian S wrote:
Rory wrote: 2006 Produttori Barbaresco. If I'm correct, this is one of those years there was no Single Vineyard releases? Either way, a sublime ethereal wine.
Correct, albeit a late decision to put it all into the standard bottling. Hence much fevered referencing of bottling lot numbers (mainly on US forums) to work out which lots had which %s of wine that had been earmarked for riserva bottlings (early ones were solely that originally planned to be in the standard bottling, with later bottlings having a mix).
Fine Wine Geek explains it all. Had a magnum at a BBQ recently; my friend was so excited when she found out she had "riserva juice" as FWG puts it!

With thanks to the fine work of Ken Vastola at the FWG -

[url=https://postimg.cc/vxYb7mhq][img]https://i.postimg.cc/XqFqbGCb/FBEB65-A8-6-D8 ... 154-D5.png[/img][/url]

Teobaldo Cappellano

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

2006 Taittinger Comte’s x 4.... all really good, but despite the hype, not as good as 02 and 04. Excellent drinking for the next 10 years while you wait for those other 2 vintages to come around.

1990 Dom Perignon...every now and then this vintage comes across as a tad flabby. This was one of those bottles, but still really enjoyable

1991 Wynn’s Centenary... best one yet of about 15 or so. This was so long and complex. Superb.

1986 Mt Ed... not the best bottle. Seen better days whereas others in this case have been stupendous

2012 Pikes The Merle... a bit young for my taste, but it will be great

Rory

Post by Rory »

Over the weekend on Houseboat on Eildon

2012 Petaluma Rieslingvery good.
2002 Leonay RieslingVery bloody good!
2007 Pewsey Vale Contours Rieslingvery good
2008 Discorged Rockford Black shirazBretty! That suprised me :x
1998 St HenriBloody excellent!
2002 Mitchelton Print ShirazBloody Good
2002 Kalleske Greenock ShirazBig bastard!

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Daughters birthday, so some birth year wines:
1996 Lakes Folly Red from magnum, not decanted which may have been a slight mistake. Secondary characteristics developed which hid the fruit but not to its detriment. The best glass was the last, a sign I should have decanted .
1996 Dom Perignon very fizzy and the cork popped! I think just a little stripped of fruit, low level TCA but the fam didn't care, God bless them.
And just to keep the other daughter happy, a 1991 Wendouree Shiraz. Characteristic eucalyptus on the palate, no where near falling over and once again secondary flavours, hint of blackberries, lower acidity than I would have thought, long finish. Good, but not really exciting.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Hacker wrote: And just to keep the other daughter happy, a 1991 Wendouree Shiraz. Characteristic eucalyptus on the palate, no where near falling over and once again secondary flavours, hint of blackberries, lower acidity than I would have thought, long finish. Good, but not really exciting.
I saved half of this in a 375ml screwcapped bottle, and what a metamorphosis on night two! Rich, medium bodied, velvet on the palate. Eucalyptus taint gone. Quite unrecognisable as a Shiraz, which wasn’t a bad thing because what was in the glass was a thing of beauty. I may have to update my wine of the year comment.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

2009 Castello di Querceto / Querceto Chianti Classico Riserva.

Funky/brett on the first whiff but 90 mins in the JVC fixed that.
amazing wine. need to go over and edit my WOTY post. gets an honorable mention.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

AdamR

Post by AdamR »

Night at a friends

2014 St Mattius Sparkling Riesling, Tasmania
Interesting wine. Nice dynamics and great with food. Not too sophisticated but nice to drink.

NV GD Mumm, Champagne
Similar to my previous thoughts. Not bad, but not memorable.

2016 Schawer, Meumer GG, Palfz, Germany
Delicate nose of chalk and peaches. Good resolve and balance on the palate. There is a slightly off dry aspect but very subtle. Quite a nice wine with good length.

2004 Derwent Estate, Riesling, Tasmania
Really pretty and resolved wine. Not the most complex but a delicious example of an aged Riesling. Think lemon curd, passionfruit and toast. Will hold but I’d drink now if I had some.

2008 Marcel Deiss, Pinot Gris Vendange Tardive, Alsace.
Beautiful wine. A real pleasure. Definitely off dry, a good pairing for the sweet, salty and sour prawn dish it was served with. Aromas of apples, custard, lychees, perhaps berries and spice. Good length and balance. Certainly one of the best dessert wines I’ve had. Easily the best Pinot Gris one.

2005 Mischief and Mayhem, Les Preuses Grand Cru, Chablis, France
The type of nose only white burgundy has; white flowers, nuts, banana and citrus. The palate isn’t as complex as the nose but has good length and drive. The colour suggests a longer life and perhaps opportunity for further palate development. Really nice wine, particularly with food. A reminder I didn’t need of the special wines that can be produced here.

1993 Poderi Colla, Barbaresco, Itali
Initially a very pretty nose that opened slowly showing lavender, perhaps roses, and strawberry, the palate had more of an undergrowth to it but was very well resolved. Nice wine, However over time it shifted towards a musty smell, perhaps some hidden taint that wasn’t apparent earlier.

2010 TerreDavino Barolo Riserva, Itali
The wine shows the sappy, balsamic, resin and tarry side of Barolo. The palate whilst it needs to resolve further is still well balanced and pretty. This was my preference of the Nebbiolo tonight. And a reminder that piedmont holds some special wines.

Bailey’s of Glenrowan, Founders liquor muscat,
Nice but not my style. Only had a sip.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

2001 Virgin Hills, must be the only person in Australia that drinks these...in a really good spot, perfumed nose berry, savoury, faintest oak, cool climate in the mouth medium weight but drinking very well
2016 Majella Cabernet, can appreciate what others have said, an ocean of black blue fruits swinging across the tongue like a whirlpool, so primary like it was bottled last week, easily the best of the 10 year vertical last October at the CD...lovely drinking :wink:
2018 Alpha Box and Dice MV Tarot Grenache interesting wine, not sure what to make of it, dont have much of this variety, but a pleasant drink.

Cheers Craig

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

2018 Curly Flat White Pinot

It says "White Pinot" on the label, but it's just a Rosé made from Pinot Noir grapes. A remarkably good one at that. Liquid strawberries and cream. A lovely finish which is much longer than your typical Rosé and it creates an element of interest that keeps one coming back for another sip. Perhaps not as complex as Rosé can be, but the drinkability factor makes up for that.