Wendouree Wine Notes

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
JamieAdelaide

Re: Wendouree Wine Notes

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Interesting comments on the Pressings. I wonder if I appreciated the wine as it very similar to traditional Barolo from the 80’s- the envelope of acceptance being pushed and to some the style may be so rusty it’s borderline oxidative.

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

I had a 2011 Wendouree Malbec in Nebbiolo fashion over four days. No oxidation by last day- though it not far off! Elegant style, reminded me of the higher parts of Mendoza, with firm structure easing over the three nights. Despite the vintage, this is a world class expression of Malbec. Five years should see it in good shape. Screw cap seems to be providing a quality seal.

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

took a couple of cases to the snow last week. Amongst them, a few Aussie shiraz that had been collecting dust for decades in the cellar.

1998 Wendouree Shiraz
Lots of sediment, but OK after four days upright. Prunes and blackberry jam, a bit of anise. Dusty tannins poked thru, and a clipped finish. Ordinary, and served with the main of lamb, this was destroyed by a Baileys 1920's Block from the same vintage. Part of a dinner for five, lots of wine, this was the only bottle not finished. If pressed, I'd rate this about 86pts.
I have a further 5-6 bottles left, I'll try again soon to see if this was an off-bottle, but it had no detectable faults.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Felix, about to do a Wendouree inventory, have a dozen of the 98s. There is a guy in Adelaide who has the biggest collection on the globe...locals will know who I am referring to, who has told me he will buy every bottle. Question is whether he will match market rates, no commissions charged though.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Some CT notes read like your experience Felix whilst others glowing. It’s either palate preferences or horrible variation under cork.

I thought the wine really good young ( needing time ) then had it a decade ago where I thought it very primary ( blackberry ) and lacked the nuance I like ( ferrous-iron lavender mint etc )

Flog them off in Hong Kong. I get phone calls every few months asking me to help source them.

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

whilst I'm not a huge Wendouree fan, my suspicion is that the bottle showing was due to the vagaries of cork, although I can't define an obvious fault. I know I've had the exact wine before, but I can't recall it. (in those days, I used to get a 3-4 dozen lots of 3-4 different wines, it sounds like the allocations have changed since then!!!)
as I said, I'll take another for a run sometime soon and see how this second showing is.

as for selling, I'd rather not. Even though I rarely drink Aussie shiraz anymore, it doesn't sound like these wines are going to fall over anytime soon, so I might as well let sleeping bottles lie!!!!