Come in weekly drinking reports

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter

Post by Guest »

I found this wine to be not very drinkable aswell and I love a big oaky wine if its done properly like Grand Merlot or Wirra RSW.

I found the 2001 Vicar to be much better and even found it good enough to put a couple into the cellar even at near $40.

Post by Guest »

TORB wrote:Simm,

If it makes you feel any better, its $28 at cellar door. :roll:

FWIW, I didn't notice bandaids when I tried it but I did find the consistency "hard" and generally the wine not very attractive.
the bandaids started about an hour and a half after opening and I think might have been initially hidden by the oak, then it seemed to sink back into the cedar. $28? Brrrrr scary.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

roughred wrote:1999 Leasingham Bin 56 Cab Malbec
Still available through DM's for $16. Nothing outstanding, showing some subtle integration, and bottle age. A nice savoury mouthfeel, with some bitter tannins and an earthy gritty finish derived I assume from the Malbec. Dont know if this is merely reflective of vintage, or yet another instance of a once great value wine being given the corporate makeover.

LL,

Don't write off the Bin 56 just yet. Have you tried the 2000? I know that the '99 won some gold medals but I much prefer the 2000. Cabernet fruit usually sourced for the Classic Clare (which wasn't made in 2000) went into this vintage Bin 56 and I think it's a gem.

Cheers,
Max
-----
Avant d’être bon, un vin doit être vrai