Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
swirler

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by swirler »

Mike, thanks for sharing your opinions, especially about champagne.

How do the prices work with Comtes. Is it released at a standard price then the market takes over or does the release price vary dramatically based on scores and predicted demand?

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

swirler wrote:Mike, thanks for sharing your opinions, especially about champagne.

How do the prices work with Comtes. Is it released at a standard price then the market takes over or does the release price vary dramatically based on scores and predicted demand?

They normal raise their price a few EUR each release. The issue with the 2002 is that it was produced in extremely small quantities and then received great critical acclaim. IIRC, it was only available in reasonable quantities in the US and UK for less than 6 weeks. Thereafter, it commanded a significant premium.

On top of that, the 2004 was released not long after, and while and excellent wine, it was made in massive quantities.. hence it was available at retail for 18 months with little movement in price.

My guess is the 2006 will sell out within 6 months and the 2007 will be available for some time given the vintage reputation. I fully expect the 2008 to sell out at release price in London in a month.

Hope that helps

Mike

swirler

Post by swirler »

Mike. Thanks. Very useful information.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Mike Hawkins wrote:1998 Rockford Basket Press Shiraz - the best bottle yet out of the 15 I've had. It is starting to take on the velvety mouthfeel that the best bottle of the 1991 vintage have. A mix of primary and secondary characteristics that make we want to open another bottle soon. I've read that some believe this wine is over the hill... no chance. This is at least 10 years from its peak for my tastes. A fabulous balanced Aussie shiraz

Hi Mike

Thanks for your comments and I concur. The 98 to me was all hype and muscle when compared to the beauty and elegance of the 96 Basket Press. Having gone exceedingly long on both vintages I often compared them side by side.

I'd been underwhelmed with the 98 and having half a dozen magnums I felt I'd see if the wine aged better in this format. 96 versus 98 magnum a few years ago and the 98 was a striking wine. Since then I have lined the pair up in 750ml format and the 98 is stunning and no doubt about it, as you say, 10 years down range and it will probably have improved again.

Disclaimer- bought the wines cellar door and climate controlled cellar. :P
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Bytown Rick

Post by Bytown Rick »

JamieBahrain wrote:
Mike Hawkins wrote:1998 Rockford Basket Press Shiraz - the best bottle yet out of the 15 I've had. It is starting to take on the velvety mouthfeel that the best bottle of the 1991 vintage have. A mix of primary and secondary characteristics that make we want to open another bottle soon. I've read that some believe this wine is over the hill... no chance. This is at least 10 years from its peak for my tastes. A fabulous balanced Aussie shiraz

Hi Mike

Thanks for your comments and I concur. The 98 to me was all hype and muscle when compared to the beauty and elegance of the 96 Basket Press. Having gone exceedingly long on both vintages I often compared them side by side.

I'd been underwhelmed with the 98 and having half a dozen magnums I felt I'd see if the wine aged better in this format. 96 versus 98 magnum a few years ago and the 98 was a striking wine. Since then I have lined the pair up in 750ml format and the 98 is stunning and no doubt about it, as you say, 10 years down range and it will probably have improved again.

Disclaimer- bought the wines cellar door and climate controlled cellar. :P

Thanks for that. I have a few bottles of both vintages. Guess I should continue to sit on them?

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

1996 is holding and the development over the last few years suggests it's beginning its roll over the maturation curve.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Bytown Rick

Post by Bytown Rick »

Thanks.

Phil H

Post by Phil H »

2010 Tertini Nebbiolo(Southern Highlands). I was looking for something different to drink, and this ticked the box. Medium bodied, sour cherry and olive, fairly high in acid. Not a great wine, but interesting and different. No hurry to drink. Enjoyable.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

The other day a friend showed me a 1999 Moss Wood which showed evidence of leaking with a slightly raised cork. He bought it along to dinner tonight, and luckily there was no evidence of heat damage and was virtually as good as Moss Wood can get. Complex black fruit with a long finish with a velvety coating.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

I tried the 2014 Wynns Coonawarra White Label Shiraz tonight.
Interesting, the initial taste did not do it for me. But left it for an hour or so in the decanter, after which it was much better.
A nose of bright stella cherries, about 2 weeks after their pick, hints of cola, a touch of oak (not 100% barrel I'd say), but very good actually.
medium weight palate, ripe cherries, spice, menthol, medicinal characteristics, slight cola sweetness, pretty tasty actually. The length of finish is pretty good, some grippy tannin, this will mellow out in 2-5 years. This is a pretty decent wine, I am surprised. but there is much better at this price point and this vintage.

swirler

Post by swirler »

sch5252 wrote:I tried the 2014 Wynns Coonawarra White Label Shiraz tonight.
Interesting, the initial taste did not do it for me. But left it for an hour or so in the decanter, after which it was much better.
A nose of bright stella cherries, about 2 weeks after their pick, hints of cola, a touch of oak (not 100% barrel I'd say), but very good actually.
medium weight palate, ripe cherries, spice, menthol, medicinal characteristics, slight cola sweetness, pretty tasty actually. The length of finish is pretty good, some grippy tannin, this will mellow out in 2-5 years. This is a pretty decent wine, I am surprised. but there is much better at this price point and this vintage.

When you can pick this up at less than $10 a bottle, I don't think it has any serious competition. Standard Jacob's Creek Reserve isn't a Barossa wine any more. What else is there? Not that I drink this kind of stuff, but when i taste it I'm always impressed at how cheap they churn it out at. Amazing QPR.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

I would be interested to know what other 2014 wines are much better at the $12-$15 pricepoint. Not questioning your statement, I just struggle to think of many. Billi Billi Shiraz, Madfish Gold Turtle Cab-Merlot? I haven't tried the 2014 of these, but they are usually there or thereabouts

Might start a new thread.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

Michael McNally wrote:

I would be interested to know what other 2014 wines are much better at the $12-$15 pricepoint. Not questioning your statement, I just struggle to think of many. Billi Billi Shiraz, Madfish Gold Turtle Cab-Merlot? I haven't tried the 2014 of these, but they are usually there or thereabouts

Might start a new thread.

Cheers

Michael

Let me clarify, It's currently selling for RRP $22 in one of the chains, not $12-$15. The $12-$15 range is a different ball game.
I don't believe it can be bought for $10, I doubt TWE staff can buy it for that.
Check the Australian Shiraz challenge results, there are a number of wines in the list worth sourcing and trying.

Michael McNally

sch5252 wrote:Let me clarify, It's currently selling for RRP $22 in one of the chains, not $12-$15. The $12-$15 range is a different ball game.
I don't believe it can be bought for $10, I doubt TWE staff can buy it for that.
Check the Australian Shiraz challenge results, there are a number of wines in the list worth sourcing and trying.

I bought mine for $14.20 per bottle at one of the chains. I don't think they can be bought for $10 (perhaps Swirler has contacts........). I did buy the 2013 for $12 and $12.50.

Completely agree that at $22 there is much better at the price point, particularly in terms of complexity, interest, depth and length. Everything really!

Looked at the Australian Shiraz Challenge results and interesting to see the 2014 Taylors Shiraz take the gong. Not sure if I have tried it or the 2013, but will have a look. In the other 2014s, Moppity seem to be hitting a sweet spot with the judges and Mr Riggs seems to have a couple in the cheaper seats worth having a look at, thanks. Actually, a closer look shows that Mr Riggs has 4 medal winners in the $17-22 range?!?!? The Delinquent, The Truant, The Ring In, and The Gaffer!! Bizarre.

Cheers

Michael

swirler

Post by swirler »

No contacts. It could be done about 2 years ago. I think I've seen it for that recently, but can't be sure.

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

Another weekend of drinking ...

1994 St Hugo Cabernet Sauvignon Coonawarra - My last bottle. Looking through my tasting notes over the years this wine has never disappointed and I have never had a bad bottle, not even a sign of cork taint. So was hoping this bottle would finish on a high. Deep garnet in colour like a rich, red English Chesterfield couch. Beautiful, deep nose of black licorice, black fruit and a subtle note of mint. Silky smooth in the mouth, you could tell straight away this wine was not over-whelmed by the moment. Lovely flavours of dark chocolate, tart blackberry and oak that danced on the tongue ... a bit like Michael Flattley in his prime. Beautiful soft, fine, sandy tannins which takes an eternity to finish. Definitely at the end of its life but an absolute pleasure to drink. At 22 years of age and with a purchase price of $29, who needs left bank cabernet from Bordeaux? Aussie, Aussie, Aussie ... Oi, Oi, Oi!!!

1995 Houghton Cabernet Sauvignon Jack Mann - This bottle was completely different to the one we had last week, much more alive with plenty of bright fruit. Long grippy finish. Makes me think my remaining bottles may have more than just a few more years in them ...

1996 Peter Lehmann Shiraz Stonewell Barossa Valley - After many games of pool and late in the night, we raided the cellar and this bottle was chosen. Popped and poured which probably didn't give the wine much of a chance to show it's best but it still performed very well. Beautiful fragrant nose of black fruit. Plenty of mouth coating sweet fruit on the front palate with spice and vanilla oak playing a supporting role. Finished long. Beautifully balanced and a very good example of the style. Still very fresh with no sign that this is a 20 year old wine. Has many years to go but drinking very well currently.

2014 Woodlands Cabernet Merlot - suffering from a bit of a blocked nose so really could give an informed opinion on this one, but our guests liked it. Need to revisit again in the coming weeks.
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

mse

Post by mse »

Mount Mary Pinot Noir 2012

Colour: Dark Ruby, Burgundy like.

Aroma: Earth, Forest floor, Leather, Red Cherry, and weak hint of Vanilla.

Palate: Light, tangy and savoury, red fruits are way back.

Its a well made wine, but not mind blowing. I just can't relate to Halliday's 97 points, but I would admit that I like it a little more than Gary Walsh's 93+ points. For a Yarra Pinot that asks for $90+ plus shipping, I cannot ask for too much. On the other hand, I had greater pleasure drinking Bass Phillip Premium from the same vintage despite the fact I have already factored in the 50% price premium. I guess the Gippsland 2nd-tier icon delivered more than I expected, which makes me wonder what Bass Phillip Reserve could offer at 250% mark up, maybe its time for me to consider acquiring some of those flagships.

mse

Post by mse »

Pheasant's Tears Rkatsiteli 2009

Colour - Orange-amber hue.

Nose - Spicy stone-fruit, apricot, green peppercorn, white pepper powder

Palate - Soft tannin, mild sweetness and acidity, still has fair amount of fruit, with a bit of herbal character.

This wine is more interesting than satisfying, but enjoyable nonetheless. I just feel sorry for my hard earned money about paying twice as much as Americans/Europeans to try the exotic varietals. :evil:

Benchmark

Post by Benchmark »

2001 Lakes Folly Cabernet

Youthful.

Sour cherries, flowers, mushrooms and chocolate on the nose.

Restrained and well balanced. Great length. Softening powdery tannin.

Still has a few years ahead.
Instagram @ggriffo374
Facebook Grant Griffin
Twitter @vineswalking
https://cyclemeaway.blogspot.com/

Rickowa

Post by Rickowa »

2003 Yalumba Signature - perfect cork, retained a good initial nose without overwhelming fruit edge. Nice grippy tannin without being excessive. Lovely mouth length with fine silky finish, nice hint of eucaypt at the finish. Probably perfect time to crack this one
2006 MSV Grenache - I bought a lot of this ex winery 3 years ago. Never disappoints. Inky, forest floor but retains good soft fruit finish. Delightful with Jindi Brie and homemade quince paste.

Rickowa

Post by Rickowa »

2009 Tapanapa Foggy Hill. My first venture into Fleurieu peninsula Pinot. Didn't disappoint. Slightly brick in colour, beautifully integrated, cherry, plum and soft tannins. More like NZ Pinot a la Dog Point, La Strada, Felton Rd than typical Aus ones. Must be the cool maritime climate slowing the fruit ripening. Beautiful. Will have to secure a lot more.

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

2014 Woodlands Cabernet-Merlot Margaret River - Quite a rich cabernet merlot, plenty of upfront, full black fruit and oak. Obviously still quite young and needs time in the bottle to settle down and soften. However, beautifully balanced and has a medium to long finish of fruit laiden, round tannins. Should age a treat and great QPR for under $15 per bottle from auction.
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

1994 Chateau Fonsalette Reserve Syrah

Had this pegged for Daves Rhone night last week but couldn't make the date.
Was about to pick up something standard on the way home, but felt like something particularly decent.
Plus sometimes feels like my decent bottles only seem to get opened at offlines these days.
Nice to mix it up a bit.

Happy Monday folks!

Michael McNally

Rickowa wrote:2006 MSV Grenache - I bought a lot of this ex winery 3 years ago. Never disappoints. Inky, forest floor but retains good soft fruit finish. Delightful with Jindi Brie and homemade quince paste.

Ditto. Almost out unfortunately........

Cheers

Michael

Hunter

Post by Hunter »

2012 kookyvillage shiraz flaxman rd angaston.
Lots of flint, red rose aromas, medium bodied black fruit. Fresh tarragon like herb. Clove. Silky long finish
Thanks nathan

Phil H

Post by Phil H »

2010 Pierre Bouree Fils, Saint Aubin 1er Cru Third bottle of my Burgundy Discovery Dozen. Lovely golden color showing its 5 to 6 year age. Opened and served straight out of the fridge, showing potential but closed. Warmed up to about 12 degrees, then started singing. Cashew nut with spice, without being buttery. Quite unique and intriguing. Very good, I might yet become a Burgundy Convert.

rens

Post by rens »

2006 Tahbilk Cabernet Sauvignon [sc] Purchased new and cellared at 14 c since released (except for a week in 2011 when it was under water). Exactly what you expect from this label at 10 years old. Plenty of fruit supported by some secondary cigar box and some powdery tannins and a nice, somewhat lengthy finish. All in all very happy with the $15 I spent back in the day. If you like your cabernet with a bit of age, this could probably hang in to see it's 15th birthday.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Phil H

Post by Phil H »

A few quick notes from some wines opened for a Birthday Dinner
Piper-Heidsieck NV Rose. Nice, but a bit bland, nothing special.
2012 Calais Estate Sparking (Hunter Valley- Chardonnay): discovered this winery with their sparking Shiraz, and this wine did not dissapoint. Yeasty, nutty full of character. Very Good.
2011 Pierro Chardonnay Oak more prominent that I could recall from previous bottles, heavily worked wine, more on the buttery scale than on the mineral/flinty spectrum. Still very good.
2012 CRFT Pinot (Adelaide Hills). Medium bodied, well rounded and balanced. Drinking well now, Very Good.
2002 Annies Lane Coppertrail Shiraz Big, bold oaky Shiraz. It was previously one of my favourites, however a bit clunky, I now prefer more elegant shiraz's, still very good and a favourite amongst others. No hurry to drink.

shauno

Post by shauno »

rens wrote: (except for a week in 2011 when it was under water).

Wait, what? Do tell...
I'll drink to that :)

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

2003 Wynns John Riddoch magnum
had this over a couple of days, from a so called lesser vintage showed really well, perfect cork.
3 hour decant
Still dark red to black, faintest browning on the edges.
a very mild but lovely perfume of violets and berries, no green characters
very balanced and long on the palate, with almost slippery tannins that had no abrasive harsh quality and just lingered.
Perhaps in magnum format this wine is in a great place now...have 5 more...might leave the next one another 13 years.

Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day