monthly 1996

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
monghead

Re: monthly 1996

Post by monghead »

1996 Wynns Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon

Picked up at auction, bottle, capsule and cork all in great condition.
Deep purple with just the slightest bricking. Predominant cedary and sweet cassis nose, hints of tobacco, violets and a touch of eucalypt. Sweet fruits intermingled nicely with savoury olive tapenade in a medium bodied, delightfully long palate. The wine seemed tremendously youthful and vibrant, with a fair whack of fine chalky tannins. It is certainly a wine that bats above its price point. Very Good

Cheers,

Monghead.

gpk

Post by gpk »

monghead wrote:1996 Wynns Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon

Picked up at auction, bottle, capsule and cork all in great condition.
Deep purple with just the slightest bricking. Predominant cedary and sweet cassis nose, hints of tobacco, violets and a touch of eucalypt. Sweet fruits intermingled nicely with savoury olive tapenade in a medium bodied, delightfully long palate. The wine seemed tremendously youthful and vibrant, with a fair whack of fine chalky tannins. It is certainly a wine that bats above its price point. Very Good

Cheers,

Monghead.

Monghead,

Thank’s for the note, I have seen a lot of mixed reviews on this wine and have a bit stashed away. From your note it seems that it is definitely one of the better Wynns Black label and have years ahead. Time to open up and try one.

cheers Gerry

monghead

Post by monghead »

This wasn’t for our monthly anniversary, but it had to be a ’96. Wifey was starting to have minor contractions, and at a check up, our obstetrician thought baby was just 24hrs away. We were ordered to go home, have a nice meal, and a glass of nice wine.....

So off to the cellar I went, and pulled out a couple of ‘96s. As we weren’t going to drink too much, I favoured halves, and retrieved a pichon lalande, and a l’enfant jesus. I also took a bottle of comte georges de vogue les amoureuses. At home, later that afternoon, wifey said she would prefer a pinot, so the baby jesus was uncorked.

1996 Domaine Bouchard l’enfant Jesus (half bottle)
Capsule firmly adherent to bottle. On cutting the foil, obvious seepage with crusty dried wine on cork and capsule was seen. Uncorked nonetheless, and the wine was shot- thin, insipid, astringent. NR.

Fortunately, I had the other bottle of Burg...

1996 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogue Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Amoureuses
What a marvellous wine. Delectable sweet cherries and plums dominated without being candied. Elements of strawberry tart and rose water wafted in and out. The nose and palate continuously evolves, throwing up hints of tea, shitake mushrooms, and wet clay. Great complexity and depth of flavour betrayed it’s lack of weight... truly astounding. Smooth, soft, and supple, this wine was sexy with a capital S. The only problem was that since baby was imminent, we could not finish the bottle, and half went into the fridge. 24 hours later, after the birth of our beautiful baby girl, I retrieved the bottle (expecting the wine to have fallen apart), left it at ambient room temperature for about 3 hours, and consumed it with wifey..... It hadn’t budged... Out Of Control Good.

Joe Cz

Post by Joe Cz »

Congratulations--on the new addition to the family. I guess the wine wasn't too bad either. :-)
Joe Czerwinski

monghead

Post by monghead »

Thanks Joe, I think less of the income to wine from now on, with the new addition to the family.

And yes, the wine was pretty good too. In fact, it makes the list...

Australian Shiraz
- Grange
- HOG
- Rockford BP
- Wendouree
- Seppelt Great Western

Australian Cabernet
- Moss Wood
- Quintet
- Petaluma
- Jacaranda Ridge
- Seppelt Dorrien

Champagne
- Dom Perignon
- Salon S
- Pol Roger Winston Churchill
- Taitinger Comptes de Champagne
- Krug

Burgundy
- Rousseau Chambertin
- Roumier Bonnes Mares
- Dujac Clos St Denis
- Comte Georges de Vogue Chambolle Musigny 1er Cru les Amoureuses
- Groffier Bonnes Mares

Bordeaux
- Latour
- Margaux
- Ausone
- Las Casses
- Mouton Rothschild

Cheers,

Monghead.

monghead

Post by monghead »

Been awhile since I've posted here in this thread, but wifey and I have been upholding this tradition... The latest installment saw us buying a '96 off a wine list.

1996 Howard Park Cabernet Merlot

A wonderful mature aussie cabernet! Delicious dark plums, delightful summer cherries with a touch of sour, cassis, eucalypt, aged leather, and old cupboard dust all harmoniously integrated in a medium bodied, mouth filling, multi-layered wine. Lingering soft velvety tannins with delicate refreshing acidity.

This was in fact one of our wedding wines (in 2004), and at that stage, I did not think this would have lasted beyond 2008. However, for the wedding, the wines were sourced from auction, thus provenance was always in question. This was a delight and revelation, and although this wine is probably at its peak, I think well cellared bottles should drink well for another 3-5 years.

Very Very Good.

Cheers,

Monghead.

griff

Post by griff »

Nice to see normal transmissions resume :)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

monghead

Post by monghead »

griff wrote:Nice to see normal transmissions resume :)

cheers

Carl

Yes, good to be back...

Cheers mate.

Monghead.

monghead

Post by monghead »

Last month, we had the 1996 Orlando Lawson's Shiraz

I think this would have been much better several years ago.
There was a generous amount of menthol, traces of violets and black plums, a hint of portiness, and smoky vanilla oak. The mid-palate however, seemed hollow, finishing with fine gritty tannins. Our last bottle. Just Good.

monghead

Post by monghead »

Well, it's been more than 16 years that we've been doing this, and for the 200th monthly anniversary, we popped the cork on a burgundy.

1996 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogue Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru

I am constantly amazed how some wines truly belie their age. At 17 years, this burg is still wound as tight as a cross-bow string, and terribly backward. Black cherries, spicy assam, and iron minerality reminescent of freshly drawn blood needs to be coaxed from its slumber by vigorous swirling, and there is almost no tertiary characteristics. I mean, there was a hint of earthiness, but none of the moorish, etherial truffle/mushroom/wet forest floor stuff that wifey and I love. Having said that however, it had great persistence, good depth on the palate, a voluptuous acidity, and the classic smooth, velvety mouthfeel of a good burgundy. Needs more time me thinks.

Very Very Good.

monghead

Post by monghead »

1996 Coriole Lloyd Shiraz

No issues with the cork. Stewed cherries and plums, cloves and aniseed, this was a touch porty. There was loads of chocolate/vanilla, and hints of old saddle leather. The palate was full bodied, and the tannins almost fully resolved. All in all, a decent aged shiraz, but lacking in any wow factor.

Solid Good.

monghead

Post by monghead »

1996 Wendouree Shiraz Malbec

The nose promised so, so much… Ripe plums, stewed cherries, raisins, licorice, dark valrhona chocolate, tantalising whiffs of saddle leather and some VA. On the palate however, this was a train wreck! Some ripe fruit on the front palate, a huge, hollow middle, then an acidic, medicinal varnishy, clunky tannic, strangely metallic finish.

Kept sniffing it all night, tasting it did not change, left half the bottle for the following day, and it was worse…

Sub Good.

griff

Post by griff »

metallic and hollow suggests a variant of brett to me. A shame in any case.
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Sorry about the Shiraz Malbec Monghead, probably my fault from the pressure of the other post....

which only leaves one thing :D :D

Shiraz Mataro to go back into its hole for a few years or does a good bottle restore one's faith in Wendouree.

I am really enjoying the post, don't have a lot of 1996's, 94 and 97 birth years and of course 98 got a bit of a run.

Cheers
Craig.
Tomorrow will be a good day

monghead

Post by monghead »

phillisc wrote:Sorry about the Shiraz Malbec Monghead, probably my fault from the pressure of the other post....

which only leaves one thing :D :D

Shiraz Mataro to go back into its hole for a few years or does a good bottle restore one's faith in Wendouree.

I am really enjoying the post, don't have a lot of 1996's, 94 and 97 birth years and of course 98 got a bit of a run.

Cheers
Craig.

Not at all mate, both have been pulled from the cellar, and trust me, the shiraz mataro is next, or soon anyway. Besides, griff reckons that it may have been a strain of Brett, so opened now, earlier or later, it would have been stuffed, thus best to get it out of the way...

monghead

Post by monghead »

griff wrote:metallic and hollow suggests a variant of brett to me. A shame in any case.

I always took Brett to cause that wet dog/sweat/barnyard/manure type characteristics. Did not know it also could cause excessive metallic traits, and hollowness. Not that I didn't trust you griff, but I did confer with other sage members of the board, and they concurred.

Well, you learn something new each day...

griff

Post by griff »

I find brett can throw off a band-aid or iodine/bromine character (not a fan of drinking any whiff of pov-iodine), a barnyard/leather character (a little of which isn't terrible but overall I have a fairly low tolerance to other European wine drinkers) or a bacon fat/clove character (now this I can drink). The first can result in a metallic flavour and a shortened/flat palate. Now the first two styles can be attributed to 4-ethyl phenol (4-ep) and the latter to 4-ethyl guaiacol (4-eg). There is also isovaleric acid but I can't pin that down easily; neither can the lab according to when I last looked. What I also do not know is why 4-ep can smell metallic at times and at other time barnyard.Perhaps in relation to the wine itself according to some AWRI research (http://techniloire.fr/documents/1249635 ... _brett.pdf).

With that all said, I didn't taste the wine so brett can only be suggested as a cause. It can always be too much of that "iron fist in a velvet glove" as Halliday says ;)

cheers

Carl

monghead

Post by monghead »

1996 Chateau Reynell Basket Press Shiraz

Still a dark purple, with no bricking. Blackberries and ripe black plums abound, with hints of licorice and mint. Well integrated oak, but the tannins are a little coarse. Though medium to full bodied, and having reasonable length, it did have a little hallowness in the mid-back palate. In the end, good, but not entirely exciting.

Solid Good.

monghead

Post by monghead »

204 wines, 17 years later, a new entry

Australian Shiraz
- Grange
- HOG
- Rockford BP
- Wendouree
- Seppelt Great Western

Australian Cabernet
- Moss Wood
- Quintet
- Petaluma
- Jacaranda Ridge
- Seppelt Dorrien

Champagne
- Dom Perignon
- Salon S
- Pol Roger Winston Churchill
- Taitinger Comptes de Champagne
- Krug

Burgundy
- Rousseau Chambertin
- Roumier Bonnes Mares
- DRC Romanee St Vivant
- Dujac Clos St Denis
- Comte Georges de Vogue Chambolle Musigny 1er Cru les Amoureuses

Bordeaux
- Latour
- Margaux
- Ausone
- Las Casses
- Mouton Rothschild

camw

Post by camw »

monghead wrote:204 wines, 17 years later, a new entry

- DRC Romanee St Vivant

Glad to hear it was good. As much as it is possible with anything DRC I think the stature of their RSV is underestimated sometimes.

monghead

Post by monghead »

1996 DRC Romanee St Vivant

The wine had an excellent fill level, but some minor label stains, and the capsule was adherent, but otherwise had no signs of seepage. The bottle was cradled into Est where we dined that night, and the sommelier took care of the wine service. He opened the wine soon after we arrived, while we were getting our champagne poured from their champagne trolley. The cork was extruded in one piece, and wine had seeped up ¾ of it’s length.

A little pour into our enormous Burgundy glasses to confirm the wine was sound, then two glasses were poured, and left there, glistening on our table. Whilst enjoying our champagne and first course, the wine invited us to indulge in it, with its bright deep burgundy to ruby red hue, and enticing wafts of cherries, tea, and rose petals. Giving into temptation, a swirl of the glass and a proper sniff yielded a plethora of complex, integrated aromas. Vibrant red cherries and roses dominate, but beguiling aromas of white Alba truffles, rhubarb tart, jasmine tea and chestnuts roasting on hot coals drift in and out. Having held out for a whole course, with the aromas absolutely tantalising us, wifey and I launched into the wine as soon as our champagne glasses were emptied. What followed was a full 5 minutes of silence where we just celebrated the sheer joy and contentment this liquid provided. On the palate, while the bright red fruits were at the fore, just in balance with the appreciable acidity, additional nuances of sesame oil and a blood like minerality emerged. What took our breath away however, was the profound depth, concentration and length the wine harmoniously displayed whilst still retaining its ballerina like litheness. At the end of it though, although a powerful and complex wine, it just did not have that “je ne sais quoi” to take it to the next level. Regardless.....

Out Of Control Good.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Mong...I thought I was reading a page out of a novel, not sure if the main players had their clothes on!

I was really disappointed at the end...no strap me down give me a spanking that good rating!!!!

You are to words what Ian is to tasting notes....wow what an experience

Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

monghead wrote:1996 DRC Romanee St Vivant
At the end of it though, although a powerful and complex wine, it just did not have that “je ne sais quoi” to take it to the next level. Regardless.....
Out Of Control Good.

I guess to get to the next level you may need to experience a wine from the vineyard next door...
Imugene, cure for cancer.

monghead

Post by monghead »

phillisc wrote:Mong...I thought I was reading a page out of a novel, not sure if the main players had their clothes on!

I was really disappointed at the end...no strap me down give me a spanking that good rating!!!!

You are to words what Ian is to tasting notes....wow what an experience

Cheers Craig

Thanks Craig.

Unfortunately the paucity of time precludes such profusive notes on all wines consumed. However, I do tend to put in a special effort for these monthly wines.

monghead

Post by monghead »

Hacker wrote:
monghead wrote:1996 DRC Romanee St Vivant
At the end of it though, although a powerful and complex wine, it just did not have that “je ne sais quoi” to take it to the next level. Regardless.....
Out Of Control Good.

I guess to get to the next level you may need to experience a wine from the vineyard next door...

Not necessarily. Only 2 wines have made it into my "OMG strap me down Good" category, and they aren't DRC or 1st growths:
- 1996 Dom Perignon
- 1986 Chateau Leoville Las Cases

monghead

Post by monghead »

Again lapsing into laziness, combined with a busy period at work and home sees me posting less and less...

This monthly tipple deserves a mention however:

1996 Orlando Jacaranda Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon
Delightfully aromatic and tasty, this wine displayed complex cassis, cedar, leather, and herbs de provence characteristics. Exhibiting impressive depth and concentration, combined with a lush, full, velvety mouthfeel, this was a real joy to savour.
Very Very Good to Extremely Good

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

monghead wrote:Again lapsing into laziness, combined with a busy period at work and home sees me posting less and less...

This monthly tipple deserves a mention however:

1996 Orlando Jacaranda Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon
Delightfully aromatic and tasty, this wine displayed complex cassis, cedar, leather, and herbs de provence characteristics. Exhibiting impressive depth and concentration, combined with a lush, full, velvety mouthfeel, this was a real joy to savour.
Very Very Good to Extremely Good

Excellent wine. I bought a six pack and ended up drinking them all by about 2006. Having read your note, I wish I had waited...

Thanks

Mike

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

Like you Monghead I'm a big fan of 1996. Had a couple of beauts this week -
1996 Penfolds Bin 28 - so much life left in it - decanted and just got better and better until it had completely evaporated in 2 hours.
1996 Galah Shiraz - the best of the 4 I originally got at auction a year or 2 ago. Quite elegant and savoury and still in its window although only 3 out of 4 were.
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

monghead

Post by monghead »

Last month:
1996 Bass Philip Reserve Pinot Noir
Very Very Good.

This month:
1996 Chateau Calon Segur
The expressive bouquet was alive with bright red fruits, blending seamlessly with intriguing dried tobacco leaf, leather, and graphite minerality. In the mouth, layers of complexity tantalised the fore and back palate, with rich sweet fruit soaking up the mid palate. A beautiful balanced acidity ran through the core of the wine, and fine chewy tannins added to the reasonable length.
Very Very Good to Extremely Good.

bigtinnie

Post by bigtinnie »

Hi
Great idea on the anniversary wine.
I'm a noobie. Can anyone tell me if 2000 was a good year for Aussie reds?
Thanks in advance.