Red / White from 2008 & 2009 for 20years keeping

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
simon1980

Re: Red / White from 2008 & 2009 for 20years keeping

Post by simon1980 »

I am a supporter of the comments about Tahbilk - even the base wines age well and consistently. I bought some 1980 Cab direct from the winery for my 30th, and it was hanging on well (and they were 750's).

Maybe sourcing from cellars in the future is an option to avoid storage issues? I know S&K keep a volume of VP's back too (if you ask them, they can send you a price list for fortified back to 1981)...I am sure there are more out there that could be found wilh some investigation. Just a thought...

Simon1980

fatdoi

Post by fatdoi »

My 20 year red will be Moss Wood cab.

White will be Grosett Polish Hill riesling
Relax.... In the end it's only grape juice with a twist

daz

Post by daz »

Other than cellaring conditions and screwcap vs cork issues, I recommend researching vintage conditions and ratings for the region of origin of any wine you may be considering for purchase.

graham

Post by graham »

A few wines I have for my daughter that should go the distance.

Rockford Basket Press Shiraz

Rockford Rifle Range Cab Sav

Tyrrell's 4 Acres

Noble One Botrytis Semillon 750ml

Lake’s Folly Cabernet Blend

Clonakilla Shiraz Viognier

Craiglee Shiraz

Mosswood Cab Sav

Cullen Diana Madeline

Kalleske Greenock shiraz magnums

Kalleske JMK vintage port

Kalleske Johann Georg shiraz

Yarra Yering #1

Yarra Yering #2

Kaye Brothers Block 6 Shiraz

Balnaves The Tully

Coriole Lloyd Shiraz

Quinta Do Silval Vintage port

Elderton Command Shiraz

Cyril Henschke

St Hugo

Peter Lehman Stonewell shiraz

Pfeiffer Christphers Vintage Port

Stanton and Killeen Vintage Port

Mt Pleasant Lovedale

Grant Burge Meshach Shiraz

Graham
Nothing is so effective in keeping one young and full of lust as a discriminating palate thoroughly satisfied at least once a day.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Graham,

Can you give me an invite to your daughters 21st?? That is one stunning list. I have several on your list for my young fellas 18th or 21st. When Rockford release the '09 Basket Press in Magnum in a couple of years time, I'll be grabbing one of those as well. Might be something to look out for.

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

graham

Post by graham »

While to go yet as they are all 2005 vintage, on a brighter note they should start releasing the 05 vintage champagne soon to add to Little Miss E's collection.

Graham
Nothing is so effective in keeping one young and full of lust as a discriminating palate thoroughly satisfied at least once a day.

Panda 9D

Post by Panda 9D »

I hope you guys are secretly using your kids as an excuse for more collecting because when they are of age they will probably like a Bacardi Breezer more than a DRC... right? No?

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

newworld wrote:As a newbie, I'm not even sure I like aged wines. It's all a big experiment :lol:

It's only a matter of time before you discover the subtleties and magic of older wines. After all, other than securing limited releases, it's the only reason to cellar wines.

Cheers...................................Mahmoud

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

graham wrote:While to go yet as they are all 2005 vintage, on a brighter note they should start releasing the 05 vintage champagne soon to add to Little Miss E's collection.

Graham

Hi Graham,

I'm not convinced the 2005 vintage in Champagne will be long lasting. I've tried a number of growers from that vintage, and they're quite exotic -some are even flamboyant- with relatively low acidity. Of course, many are yet to release theirs, but I'm convinced 2004 and 2006 are much, much better years in general.

I'm back in Champagne next week, so will take one for the team and try a few 2005s.......

Cheers

Mike