A night of wine and chocolate

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Seamus

A night of wine and chocolate

Post by Seamus »

Morning all,

I have to give credit to Ric for producing a block of 70% cocoa chocalate at an off-line about 4 years ago for my increasing appreciation of drinking fine wine while only eating chocolate.

Last night, a couple of us got together drank the following wines with a couple of slabs of Lindt 70% Cocoa Dark chocolate.

'98 Fox Creek JSM - This wine suprises me still. Often written off, it is still massive and showing more balance than before. Very nice wine.

'01 Majella Cabernet - Same as every other time, a bit subdued in this line up.

'98 Rockford Basket Press - WOW. An absolute cracker of a wine. Shows the elegance and style of 1st Growths and Super Premiums. Will definately keep the rest for a rainy day.......

Cheers

Andrew

michel

Post by michel »

Seamus
I have tried all these wines and must confess have never tried them with chocolate.
I will get some 70 % Lindt and try it.
I am nervous already. :shock:
I once cooked a Ian Parmementer Chocolate chicken with Valrohonna cooking chocolate and hated it :!:
michel
International Chambertin Day 16th May

Wizz

Re: A night of wine and chocolate

Post by Wizz »

Seamus wrote:Morning all,

I have to give credit to Ric for producing a block of 70% cocoa chocalate at an off-line about 4 years ago for my increasing appreciation of drinking fine wine while only eating chocolate.

Last night, a couple of us got together drank the following wines with a couple of slabs of Lindt 70% Cocoa Dark chocolate.

'98 Fox Creek JSM - This wine suprises me still. Often written off, it is still massive and showing more balance than before. Very nice wine.

'01 Majella Cabernet - Same as every other time, a bit subdued in this line up.

'98 Rockford Basket Press - WOW. An absolute cracker of a wine. Shows the elegance and style of 1st Growths and Super Premiums. Will definately keep the rest for a rainy day.......

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew, was the 98 Basket Press an original or one of the winemakers reserve wines? I had the winemakers reserve recently and it underwhelmed, much to my surprise.

cheers

AB

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

AB,

It was one of the Winemakers Stocktake Release (the six-pack is sitting under my desk as I type....)

Andrew

michel

Re: A night of wine and chocolate

Post by michel »

Seamus wrote:M

Cheers

Andrew

Agreed
It needs more time.
International Chambertin Day 16th May

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Seamus wrote:AB,

It was one of the Winemakers Stocktake Release (the six-pack is sitting under my desk as I type....)

Andrew

Oh well, put it down to bottle variation.

Jakob

Post by Jakob »

Regarding the Rockford, I uncharacteristically preferred the Cab for the '98s, but haven't tried the Shiraz for well over a year. Maybe best not to, for a while yet then :roll:

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Jakob wrote:Regarding the Rockford, I uncharacteristically preferred the Cab for the '98s, but haven't tried the Shiraz for well over a year. Maybe best not to, for a while yet then :roll:

I've recieved two emails since making that post telling me I'm an idiot :oops: .

TORB

Post by TORB »

Wizz wrote:I've recieved two emails since making that post telling me I'm an idiot :oops: .

So whats new, we all know that but "you are a smart idiot with good taste." :shock: :D

As you said, probably just a slightly dud bottle. Don't you just love tree bark! :twisted:
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I tried to drank red wines after deserts, but found the deserts always induce a bitter and astringent taste in the mouth.

Any specific rule to match wine with chocolates?

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

TORB wrote:
Wizz wrote:I've recieved two emails since making that post telling me I'm an idiot :oops: .

So whats new, we all know that but "you are a smart idiot with good taste." :shock: :D

As you said, probably just a slightly dud bottle. Don't you just love tree bark! :twisted:

The two guys who sent the emails have form letters set up for this.. :D :cry:

Rob

Post by Rob »

AlanK wrote:I tried to drank red wines after deserts, but found the deserts always induce a bitter and astringent taste in the mouth.

Any specific rule to match wine with chocolates?

Depends on what kind of chocolates. Dark, milk, white?
Cheers
Rob
"The red liquid circulating in my body is actually red wine, not blood."

Peter

Wine & Chocolate

Post by Peter »

I thought that what Rutherglen fortifieds were for.

Went to the watermark on fri for lunch and had a glass of All Saints rare Tokay.

Went a treat with the dessert sampler creme brulee and rich belgian chocolate Tart.