Tempranillo in Australia

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
daz

Tempranillo in Australia

Post by daz »

This is a variety I've found can stand alone as an Australian-produced varietal, even found the Jacobs Creek version acceptable as a quaffing red . It's a bit different from my mostly standard red wine fare of shiraz, cab sauv and blends of those. The other varietal Temps I've tried have been from Blue Poles and Tahbilk, the plumminess of the former edging out the latter in my opinion.

I'm sure there are many other Tempranillos and blends that include it produced in Australia and am interested to hear of those that have been enjoyed by forum members and lurkers.

:lol: Can't help but wonder how it'd blend with pinot noir :roll: in a still table wine. Mountain X shiraz pinot seems to have been fairly well-received but haven't tried it at the price.

Cheers

daz

Eboracum

Re: Tempranillo in Australia

Post by Eboracum »

daz wrote: :lol: Can't help but wonder how it'd blend with pinot noir :roll: in a still table wine. Mountain X shiraz pinot seems to have been fairly well-received but haven't tried it at the price.

Cheers

daz

Neither of those blends sound like marriages made in heaven. Indeed I have never come across a successful blend with Pinot Noir except Champagne.

Tempranillo in Spain stands well on its own and with small quantities of several others, mainly Garnacha, Graciano and Mazuela. I guess that you only have Garnacha in Australia out of those. Additionally Marques de Riscal blends "unofficially" quite a high percentage of Cabernet Sauvignon into its top Baron de Chirel cuvée; that may be an idea for Down Under.
Eboracum

David

Post by David »

Eboracum wrote:
daz wrote: :lol: Can't help but wonder how it'd blend with pinot noir :roll: in a still table wine. Mountain X shiraz pinot seems to have been fairly well-received but haven't tried it at the price.

Cheers

daz

Neither of those blends sound like marriages made in heaven. Indeed I have never come across a successful blend with Pinot Noir except Champagne.

Some of the great McWilliams and Lindemans reds from the Hunter have been blends of Shiraz and Pinot Noir.

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

2009 Smallfry Tempranillo Garnacha Joven is a more than tidy little wine. I liked the 2008 Tar & Roses too, but the 2007 Blue Poles is my favourite Oz interpretation to date.
As always, IMVHO. And Cheers
jeremy- http://winewilleatitself.blogspot.com/

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Shiraz works well with a dash of Pinot. Very well. But Shiraz is not just Shiraz..depends on where it's from. Hunter Shiraz works well with Pinot, for example.
Tempranillo works well with Grenache or Cabernet..I'll try a splash of Pinot in a few Temps. while tasting..it's made me curious.
And for the unimaginative - Clos Mogador is generally a blend of 40% Garnacha, 35% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Syrah and 5% Pinot Noir, Mourvedre and Merlot...so Eboracum needs to try harder :)
gw

Eboracum

Post by Eboracum »

Gary W wrote:Shiraz works well with a dash of Pinot. Very well. But Shiraz is not just Shiraz..depends on where it's from. Hunter Shiraz works well with Pinot, for example.
Tempranillo works well with Grenache or Cabernet..I'll try a splash of Pinot in a few Temps. while tasting..it's made me curious.
And for the unimaginative - Clos Mogador is generally a blend of 40% Garnacha, 35% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Syrah and 5% Pinot Noir, Mourvedre and Merlot...so Eboracum needs to try harder :)
gw

Gary, I'm always happy to be proved wrong but Clos Mogador does not do it. I have not been overwhelmed by the tastes which have come my way but I wouldn't blame 5% Pinot Noir for that; I'm not so far a big fan of Priorat.
Eboracum

mattECN

Post by mattECN »

daz wrote:This is a variety I've found can stand alone as an Australian-produced varietal, even found the Jacobs Creek version acceptable as a quaffing red . It's a bit different from my mostly standard red wine fare of shiraz, cab sauv and blends of those. The other varietal Temps I've tried have been from Blue Poles and Tahbilk, the plumminess of the former edging out the latter in my opinion.

I'm sure there are many other Tempranillos and blends that include it produced in Australia and am interested to hear of those that have been enjoyed by forum members and lurkers.

:lol: Can't help but wonder how it'd blend with pinot noir :roll: in a still table wine. Mountain X shiraz pinot seems to have been fairly well-received but haven't tried it at the price.

Cheers

daz

Very good topic, I have been trying Tempranillo whenever I get the chance to see how this is fairing in Australia. Off the top of my head recent wines included:

2008 Ross Estate (Barrossa) - not overly varietal, but a good wine nonetheless. Good quaffing wine, fun and enjoyed by those I have introduced too.

2007 Bird in Hand (Adelaide Hills) - more tannin than the Ross Estate, but has the pedigree to age for up to five-seven years. Really enjoyed this wine and have put some away to try down the track. Very Nice.

2008 Oxenberry (McLaren Vale) - this is a blend with Chardonnay!! medium bodied at best, could be described as a Rose, but dry, no residual sugar. Could be easily served as a chilled wine or at room temp. I would not have thought it would have worked as a blend but it does, very drinkable and very very tasty. Drink now.

2006 Pondalowie Vineyards (Bridgewater on Loddon, VIC) - I have not tried this wine (yet), but been told its a fantastic Australian Tempranillo - really looking forward to trying it! Winemakers have spent a lot of time in Spain and selected Bridgewater on Loddon as their preferred site to grow and tender the vines.

There are a few others, but names and vintages escape me!

happy discoveries.

daz

Post by daz »

Gary W wrote:Shiraz works well with a dash of Pinot. Very well. But Shiraz is not just Shiraz..depends on where it's from. Hunter Shiraz works well with Pinot, for example.
gw

Remember the smileys in my post Gary. :wink: But if it works, remember where you saw it first :lol:

Cheers

daz

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Hi Daz

A good subject, and very pertinent to my recent 'Last night's BBQ' post at which we tried a number of Australian and Spanish tempranillos and blends.

I suspect Tempranillo on its own is likely to suit warmer climates (not necessarily too hot, but not Tasmania either) and the blending choices seem to go with Bordeaux varieties, rather than shiraz or especially not pinot (despite the shiraz/pinot discussions).

I think somebody mentioned Graciano earlier in this thread. Talijancich in the Swan Valley makes a straight Graciano, and I nearly took that along to the BBQ in question as a foil for Tempranillo. I suspect a blend of the two would be most enlightening, and I wish I had gone with my instinct.

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

JamieH

Post by JamieH »

Tscharke Only Son Tempranillo Granciano blend, 75% Temp 25% Granciano, excellent.
Gemtree Luna Roja Tempranillo, Trohpy Best Alternative Red Mc Laren Vale Wine Show

Jamie
Lets just say I have never had a wine I've hated, but there are some I would rather not taste again....

pstarr

Post by pstarr »

We also kind-of did this topic (sans pinot) back in May last year. At that stage, I posted:

"Oz tempranillo:
- I buy the Mount Majura every year, with the few bottles of the 03 and 04 I still have getting better with age, 05 and 06 you could get into now or leave a bit longer, 07 way too young yet, 08 out later this year.
- Samuel's Gorge - good gear from what I've seen, but not tried the current release, McLaren Vale should do well for tempranillo.
- Still in McLaren Vale, the Buttery's at Gemtree have been doing good things with tempranillo, including blended with McV grenache. The 2004 straight tempranillo "Bloodstone" is drinking really well now and has legs to 2016 or so for my tastes.
- WA tempranillo so far has been hit and miss for me, though West Cape Howe seems to have hit a bit of a groove with a sub-$20 quaffing style tempranillo.
- Pondalowie at Bridgewater-on-Loddon just out of Bendigo have produced excellent tempranillo in joven and oaked/aged styles. I don't really like the recent Heathcote-sourced tempranillo from them, but the Bendigo gear is good, especially the 2003 Reserve tempranillo which is still building. A few bottles of this just went at Langtons (I missed them) for a very reasonable price. They also put tempranillo into a 'vineyard blend' entry wine, which is honest value.
- Brown Brothers tempranillo is a work in progress still but they have the capacity to turn out good gear. Tahbilk I've tried and not bought. Not conviced by the Peter Lehmann one either.
- I've just bought a bit of the Hewitson Fleurieu tempranillo (I forget which beach they reference on the label, but it's outside of McVale proper). This got a few reviews as best-ever Australian tempranillo, so keen to see it when it turns up.
- There have been some good tempranillo under the Symphonia label Peter Read set up (now owned by Sam Miranda wines), with the 'La Solista' label the joven and the 'Las Triadas' the reserva style. I've usually preferred the joven.
- Mudgee and Cowra tempranillo haven't impressed me yet (eg Vinifera, Windowrie)
- Yalumba's Handpicked TGV (tempranillo, grenache, viognier) is worth a look, especially with a bit of age (particularly the 2005 vintage)
- I've enjoyed different vintages of the Tscharke Only Son tempranillo from the Barossa, but don't think there's been a quality breakthrough there yet, but it is possible. Ditto efforts from Mr Riggs and Nepenthe.
- I also like the 2003 vintage of the d'Arenberg Sticks & Stones tempranillo blend, which included souzao, that Portuguese grape since excluded from the blend for the most recent release, I understand.
- the 2005 de Bortoli Yarra Valley Sero shiraz tempranillo blend, which featured a component of cane-cut fruit, is still drinking well as a very distinct style (Italianate-acid, Spanish tempranillo tannin, Australian shiraz fruit) - good with a bbq and very good value.

While I don't expect, or even want, Australian tempranillo to taste Spanish, I'm still waiting to have that drop-dead-quality moment like I can get from a good vintage of Alion, Pintia, etc.

There should be some good older-vine tempranillo around in some of the port vineyards (the Portuguese tinta roriz clone of tempranillo) and it would be interesting to see the results if someone hoovered up some of this fruit, maybe as a multi-regional blend?"
Paul.

fatdoi

Post by fatdoi »

The Nashwauk @ Mclaren Vale is quite spectacular.... in fact is the most stand out wine in my last Kaesler/Nashwauk tasting....
Relax.... In the end it's only grape juice with a twist

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

I really like the Tim Adams Reserve Temp - when tasted against the Spanish version it tastes full powered and Aussie - a bit like the way the Pennies Cellar Reserve Pinot presents up against 'normal' pinots. It's very good, all the same.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Red

Post by Red »

The 05 De Bortoli Sero Shiraz Tempranillo was a very sexy drop at $15

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Tim Adams Reserve is excellent.
Just about to whip through a few. Including some not mentioned here -
Belebula Tempranillo 2007 (HV)
McHenry Hohnen Tiger Country 2007 (MR)
Mount Avoca Tempranillo 2008 (Pyr)
Mount Majura Vineyard TSG 2008 (Cbr)
Stella Bella Wines Skuttlebutt Otto Vino 2007 (MR)
Stella Bella Wines Tempranillo 2008 (MR)
Willow Bridge Estate Solana Tempranillo 2008 (Geographe)

I'll fetch me Pinot then..
GW

Daniel Jess

Post by Daniel Jess »

You all seem to be forgetting that the best climate for Tempranillo is one that is very similar to the Granite Belt region up here in Queensland!

The cooler climate tempranillo will be very drinkable, indeed quaffable, but they sometimes lack a bit of the heavier spice I lust for in a good tempranillo.

Golden Grove wines make an excellent version, though they do tend to release the wine too early for my taste. I've cellared their first release from a couple years back and it's coming along nicely.

I am also very fond of Garnacha / Temp blends.
WineBox Co. - - conquer the world, one grape at a time - -

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Daniel Jess wrote:You all seem to be forgetting that the best climate for Tempranillo is one that is very similar to the Granite Belt region up here in Queensland!

The cooler climate tempranillo will be very drinkable, indeed quaffable, but they sometimes lack a bit of the heavier spice I lust for in a good tempranillo.

Golden Grove wines make an excellent version, though they do tend to release the wine too early for my taste. I've cellared their first release from a couple years back and it's coming along nicely.

I am also very fond of Garnacha / Temp blends.

Yeah, the GG Temp isn't too shabby. Symphony Hills can be ok too, although I haven't tasted one for a couple of vintages.

Anyone have any thoughts on the La Linea (07 or 08)?
As always, IMVHO. And Cheers
jeremy- http://winewilleatitself.blogspot.com/

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

JamieH wrote:Tscharke Only Son Tempranillo Graciano blend, 75% Temp 25% Granciano, excellent.
Gemtree Luna Roja Tempranillo, Trohpy Best Alternative Red Mc Laren Vale Wine Show

Jamie

Thanks Jamie.

After suggesting a blend I had never seen (Tempranillo Graciano) but thought might work, you present me with a winery that produces it :) http://www.tscharke.com.au/winebox/tscharkewines.asp

Interesting that they focus purely on alternative varieties, in a location where shiraz is king.

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

pstarr

Post by pstarr »

Waiters Friend wrote:
JamieH wrote:Tscharke Only Son Tempranillo Graciano blend, 75% Temp 25% Granciano, excellent.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie.

After suggesting a blend I had never seen (Tempranillo Graciano) but thought might work, you present me with a winery that produces it :) http://www.tscharke.com.au/winebox/tscharkewines.asp

Interesting that they focus purely on alternative varieties, in a location where shiraz is king.

Cheers

Allan

Tscharke also does Glaymond wines, which does do the traditional Barossan gear.

Graciano is a traditional blending partner with tempranillo in some parts of Spain. There's a bit of it in in Victoria, with some age on it, plus plantings in SA and NSW/ACT. It's tricky to grow, especially to balance out yields year to year, and ripens late here in Canberra. There are a handful of straight graciano wines being made here, including Mount Majura and Brown Brothers. A few people have used it in blends, including the Mount Majura TSG (tempranillo, shiraz, graciano) blend Gary mentioned.
Paul.

griff

Post by griff »

There is also some Graciano close by in the Swan Valley. Check out Talijancich.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Peter Schlesinger

Post by Peter Schlesinger »

Great post. Hadn't realised how many Oz wineries produced a tempranillo or tempranillo blend. I'm surprised though that Mayford (Porepunkah) hasn't been mentioned yet. The 08 is a lovely wine and compares well with Spanish tempranillos such as Condado de Haza and Tinto Pesquera from Ribera del Duero.

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

JamieH wrote:Tscharke Only Son Tempranillo Granciano blend, 75% Temp 25% Granciano, excellent.

Jamie

Gemtree Luna Roja Tempranillo - this wine has the most stunning, intense, vibrant fruit .. all that organic and biodynamic stuff I suppose, but my current favourite!!

regards

Gavin Trott

pstarr

Post by pstarr »

Have Gemtree renamed their Bloodstone tempranillo? The 2004 of that (for me a bit of a breakthrough wine for McV and Aus temp) is drinking well at the moment.

I have bought the 2008 Mayford Porepunkah tempranillo but not yet tried it. Did like their chardonnay and they are lovely people. Even sent me an email after my order had been shipped saying that they'd be in Canberra shortly and would I like them to drop me off any wine while they were in town.
Paul.

SueNZ

Post by SueNZ »

Had the Brown Brothers Tempranillo 2006 from Victoria the other night.
Once I got past the lashings of American oak, I could see some of the familiar traits I associate with the grape - tobacco, jaffa, juicy red fruits and quite noticeable underlying acidity. Seems like it would age quite well, but also a pretty decent quaffer. It has plenty of colour too. Good food wine as well a a quaffer.

2005 was also great little quaffer but I think the 2006 shows more varietal character, having spent less time overall in oak and also some French oak in the 2006, whereas the 2005 was 100% new American oak.

RRP in NZ is $18.95.

milky

Post by milky »

Just out of curiosity - has anyone tried the tempranillo made by Trevor Jones, under the Kellermeister label? What do you think of it? I tried a bit of that, and thought it was alright - although I must say that I don't understand tempranillo at all... it's a variety that I'll be exploring more of this year.

p.s. - declaring that I've recently been engaged by Kellermeister for accounting services... hope forumites don't mind me saying the above... :)
Gosh... all this talk is making me thirsty!

grapeobserver

Post by grapeobserver »

SueNZ wrote:Had the Brown Brothers Tempranillo 2006 from Victoria the other night.
Once I got past the lashings of American oak, I could see some of the familiar traits I associate with the grape - tobacco, jaffa, juicy red fruits and quite noticeable underlying acidity. Seems like it would age quite well, but also a pretty decent quaffer. It has plenty of colour too. Good food wine as well a a quaffer.

2005 was also great little quaffer but I think the 2006 shows more varietal character, having spent less time overall in oak and also some French oak in the 2006, whereas the 2005 was 100% new American oak.

RRP in NZ is $18.95.

I've tasted the Brown Brothers Tempranillo 2004 (Milawa) and thought it a quite a good quaffing wine with good fruit and some length. But alas I kept a couple of bottles and when I retasted it in 2009 it was rather flat and apparently fading already. So I'd be cautious ageing it, or at least with the 2004 vintage. It was stored at 12c too.

Cheers

Sean

sparky

Post by sparky »

I was pretty impressed with the Whitebox Heathcote Tempranillo 07 for the price (sub $20) - very cheerful, full'o'fruit and a great mouthfeel. It would definitely be on my 'buy again' list - if I don't get distracted by something else on the way to finding it.

Got a couple of Pennys CR Tempranillo under the stumps (as I would), but they're for 'ron.

darby

Post by darby »

Nobody in this thread has mentioned Tempraneo - http://www.tempraneo.com.au/ - which is group of six Aussie producers who are jointly promoting the variety. They have held workshops and comparative tastings around Australia.

One factor which will help the variety is the promotion by Yalumba of the Running with Bulls Tempranillos. They have two rwb labels one from Barossa and one from Wrattonbully. These wines are trail blazing. They are even sold by the glass in my local Vietnamese restaurant. Yalumba also use the RWB label for their Vermentino, another favourite variety of mine.

paulf

Post by paulf »

darby wrote:Nobody in this thread has mentioned Tempraneo - http://www.tempraneo.com.au/ - which is group of six Aussie producers who are jointly promoting the variety. They have held workshops and comparative tastings around Australia.

One factor which will help the variety is the promotion by Yalumba of the Running with Bulls Tempranillos. They have two rwb labels one from Barossa and one from Wrattonbully. These wines are trail blazing. They are even sold by the glass in my local Vietnamese restaurant. Yalumba also use the RWB label for their Vermentino, another favourite variety of mine.

That's because I don't think the Tempraneo group has been around that long!
The original post was from January 2010 so it is interesting to see how much has changed in the space of two years. I wouldn't say that Tempranillo is exactly mainstream but it has certainly come a long way in a very short space of time. I'll be at a session for the Melbourne food and wine show on Saturday where they should talk about it so it will be interesting to hear what is said.

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

It has definitely come a long way in just a few years...

3-4 years ago. the Tempranillo in Australia was generally pretty bad...Now you're finding quite a few good examples of Tempranillo in Australia and it is great to see.

I think it just took some time to understand how to actually deal with the grape.....but expecting to see more exciting things...

Now if we can just get people to NOT say Tem Pran Nil Oh.