January 29 Drinking

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Sean

January 29 Drinking

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Chuck

Re: January 29 Drinking

Post by Chuck »

Five Oaks Yarra Valley 2005 Cabernet. Fully developed now and a nice drop and better thn JH's 88 points.

Craneford John Zilm 2004 Barossa Shiraz. Last bottle was a tad disppointing and would have blamed the closure if it was cork or similar. It seemed well past its prime with little fruit however this one was very nice. Lovely fruit with all components fully meshed.

Maybe my first bad bottle under stelvin. Have no idea how this happens. Still a far better success rate than cork.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

ross67

Post by ross67 »

Mini 2010 Shiraz tasting yesterday:

Two Hands Gnarly Dudes Barossa Shiraz 2010: This opened a little closed but within 45 mins it was singing. Really nice tight concentrated fruit profile and great structure for a relative cheaper line. Soft tannins with good length. This wine will definately improve and go some distance. [Low $20's] 92

Two Hands Angels Share McLaren Vale 2010: Similar to above but with less concentration of fruit flavour.A little more open in its style. The Gnarly Dudes for me is the better wine.....for now. [Low $20's] 90

Head Red Barossa Shiraz /Viognier 2010: Softer stlye then the other two above with the added viognier element. Tried this mid? last yr and thought it still needed time to come together but now seems more complete. [$20 ish?] 89

ross

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

graham

Post by graham »

2008 Brooke Eden Pinot - Vibrant deep cherry colour, with a lifted perfumed nose of plum, dark berry fruits, cloves and nutmeg.
I have never had a bad wine from this vinyard :!:
Nothing is so effective in keeping one young and full of lust as a discriminating palate thoroughly satisfied at least once a day.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

Hungerford Hill "Higher Octave" Chardonnay 2008... Tumburumba fruit. Very impressed by this outfits Tumba Chardies and this is their "reserve" ~$35/bttl version. Absolutely unmoved by 3-yrs of age, green/yellow in the glass with a pithy, citrus, nectarine nose, subtle oak, and a linear, structured palate with crunchy apple acidity. Will age wonderfully. Very good juice.

Amadio Shiraz 2004 (Adel Hills)... A winery which used to sell from a little bulk shop on Lower North East Rd in Campbelltown (Adel), this has been in the cellar for a few years so I thought to check it out. Bright/light hued red/purple, opening with a pretty nose of bright red berries and spice. Juicy, fleshy and spicy in the mouth, delicious.

And on Friday night had dinner again at Felix in the Ivy complex in Sydney - fast my favourite bistro style eatery. Had a bottle of Clover Hill 2006 - lovely bubbles, so fresh and poised - and a 2009 Caillard Mataro which is a lovely wine, wonderfully perfumed for a mataro.
------------------------------------
Sam

tpang

Post by tpang »

Couple of wines over the past week

Marques de Riscal Gran Reserva 2001, Rioja, Spain
$90 from Dan Murphy’s. Clear, intense ruby colour, looks fresh as a daisy despite being 10 years old. Complex perfume of blackcurrant, oak, spice, crushed herbs, clove, smoked pork sausage and roasted meat. A dry, full-bodied wine with rough silky texture. This was aged for 2.5 years in American oak before 3 further years in bottle prior to being sold. Med+ acidity, 14% alc; there is a breakout of rich berry flavours, a hint of clove powder and chocolatey fine-grained tannins. A well-crafted wine that demonstrates fine balance. Drink now – 2017.

Pol Roger Brut Extra Cuvee de Reserve Rose 2000
$120. An attractive salmon with shades of orangey-pink – complemented the salmon sashimi and reddish smoked trout. This one’s a blend of 50% pinot noir, 35% chardonnay and 15% still pinot noir. It has nice strawberry aromatics mingled with red currants and preserved lemons, and has sufficient acidity to freshen up the slightly drawn out fruit flavours. It’s not one to keep for the long term, so drink it now. 89/100.

Maison Roche de Bellene Chambolle-Musigny Vielles Vignes 2009 by Nicoles Potel. $90. Clear, intense dark ruby color with aromas of strawberries, red currants, mushroom stock and Chinese salted plums. This med+ bodied wine has a smooth velvet texture, med+ acidity and 13% alc. With attractive plush flavours of ripe strawberry, red currants and red plum skins, this is an easy drinking wine with potential to age in the medium term. Drink now (decant!) – 2017. 90+/100.

Coates Touriga Nacional 2009, Langhorne Creek, SA

Purchased direct from winery, $35. Intense black crimson with a tinge of purple. Quite a restrained nose, coy notes of dark berry fruit with a splash of fine, dusty black pepper. Silky texture, a full-bodied wine with velvety tannins. Plush berry flavours, this is very nicely balanced with fresh acidity. Long, lingering finish with a pinch of bitter dark chocolate at the tail-end. Impressive. Drink now – 2018. 91/100.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

A few young Aussie reds and some champers:-

2004 Heritage Rossco's Shiraz - first 2 bottles from the case had a faint whiff of VA, the next two have revealed pristine fruit. Plummy and chocatey. Really good wine.

2002 Saltram's #1 - really primary, hints of oak. Leave for a few more years, then will enter a long window of peak drinking.

2006 Peter Lehmann Stonewell shiraz - smelled like a cappacino and finsihed too hot for my liking.

2006 Frank Bonville - lots of citrusy notes, but a bit simple. Will improve but will never be great.

2004 Nicholas Feuilatte Special Cuvee - generally not a house I care for. This was a fun wine - bit of a crowd pleaser with sweet apalate (not sure what dosage was).

2000 Taittinger Comtes des Champagnes - consumed at The Ledbury in London (disappointing for a 2 star restaurant). Back to the champagne. For a so - so viontage, this was a superb BdB. Length, budding complexity, and a pardox of power and elegance. Will last 2 decades. Can't wait for the 2002 to be released.

2000 Philipponnat Clos des Goisses - not the best from this label. I just bought the 2002, so look forward to trying that release.

2006 Jose Dhondt BdB - I normally like this house, but this was simple.

NV Godme BdN - rich, mouthfilling and pretty good for a NV.

Teisto

Post by Teisto »

1988 Peterson's Hunter Valley Cab Sauv Found this when packing up the garage to move and had totally forgotten about it. Wasn't expecting much but I opened it up and the smell was fantastic - I thought I may have hit the jackpot but alas it was way past its best. Wasn't vinegar or the like just way over tired and lifeless

2005 Pepper Tree Semillon Lemon, pithy, fresh however some very faint toastiness in the background. No rush still very youthful.

daz

Post by daz »

Presently slumming it with a Ballantynes NV blended scotch after some also ordinary wine...........such is life heading to its end.

Dan

Post by Dan »

It's been a while since I've made a post around these parts, but I think I'm going to start getting back into it again.
A few over the weekend.

De Iuliis, 2010, Hilltops Cab Sauv.
De Iuliis, 2010, reserve Chardonnay.
Ivanhoe, 2010, swordsman Shiraz.
Ivanhoe, 2009 & 2010, Shiraz pressings.
Pothana (David hook), 2005, Shiraz.
Mistletoe, 2010, Chardonnay.

The 2010 hunter reds seem to have another level of aromatics to them. They're so fresh and vibrant, I'll definitely be stocking up.
And I'm only just getting into hunter Chardonnay, I never really thought of Chardonnay and hunter together, but I'm really liking what I've tried so far.
The Pothana was beautiful and earthy/mild spice, with the classic Hunter leathery characteristics. It was ready for drinking and I wouldn't want to let it go much longer.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

Dalwhinnie Chardonnay 2007 and Samuel's Gorge Tempranillo 2008 entertaining some US clients last night. Both around $85- restaurant wine-list pricing. The chardy is very nice, very linear, acid driven palate in the "modern" style, with some riper aromatics. The Samuel's Gorge was more disappointing, simple bright cherry fruit, spice, but not especially complex. May grow with more time.
Sam

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

2004 Hardy's Oomoo Shiraz - kicking way above its weight with lovely black fruit flavours and aromas. Not overly complex but beautifully balanced.
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

rednut

Post by rednut »

2006 Kay Bros Block 6 Amery Shiraz
A very smooth, rich, bold red. Definately ready for consumption. I have a few more in the fridge which I will leave for a while to get even better. Yum! :D ^
"A woman drove me to drink, and I'll be a son of a gun but I never even wrote to thank her" WC Fields

daz

Post by daz »

Yeairrr, yum, Yeairrr. Yum, yum, yummy, yum yum, pfftt. But it's better if it's been decantered........... :roll: Now open your mouth so mummy can give you some of this lurverly, yummy-yummy plummy blummy yum yum :?:

Dan

Post by Dan »

daz wrote:Yeairrr, yum, Yeairrr. Yum, yum, yummy, yum yum, pfftt. But it's better if it's been decantered........... :roll: Now open your mouth so mummy can give you some of this lurverly, yummy-yummy plummy blummy yum yum :?:

Been drinking?

Whatever that's a TN for, you can keep it!

Chops

Post by Chops »

2008 Alkoomi Shiraz

First taste: A strong but indescernable bouquet. Quite a strong front palate with dark fruits, with a surprisingly short finish compared to the reviews and tasting notes. No fruit after the mid palate with quite a strong taste of spice on the back end with pepper to finish. As opposed to the silky tannins advertised, it was much more of a chalky finish with the tannins.

Next day: A much sweeter bouquet with a hint of oak and acid. A much better balance in the front palate with cutting ripe sweet fruits coming through with an acidity. A much better balance of fruit through the whole palate underlied with the spice, pepper, oak and sweetness in much better balance throughout and especially on the finish. The tannins are now as advertised providing a much easier wine to drink with a nice but not extended finish. Although both times have been good with food.

I'm pretty new to this, but obviously it needs a little time in the bottle, or some unlocking.

daz

Post by daz »

Dan wrote:
daz wrote:Yeairrr, yum, Yeairrr. Yum, yum, yummy, yum yum, pfftt. But it's better if it's been decantered........... :roll: Now open your mouth so mummy can give you some of this lurverly, yummy-yummy plummy blummy yum yum :?:

Been drinking?

Whatever that's a TN for, you can keep it!

Just an overreaction to the almost ubiquitous overuse of what I consider to be the childish and meaningless term "Yum!"

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

2007 Penfolds Koonunga Hill Cabernet Shiraz - pretty dreadful to start with but after an hour of decanting became OK - think I'll leave the other 5 bottles for a few years.
2002 Mt Pleasant Elizabeth - took about 30 minutes to develop into something quite lovely. Aromas of honey and lanolin, citrussy palate - more orange than lemon and wonderfully balanced with long lingering flavours.
2004 Yalumbe D Cuvee Cabernet Shiraz - pity Yalumba's going out of the style because it's a winner - like drinking Signature with bubbles - just beautiful.
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears »

daz wrote:Just an overreaction to the almost ubiquitous overuse of what I consider to be the childish and meaningless term "Yum!"

Au contraire, mon ami. I believe the dictionary definition of "yum" is excellent; delicious: used to indicate pleasure or enjoyment. Which is probably what the poster intended to say (without having to type in a lot of flowery prose). I understood what was meant. Possibly a reaction to "yummy" or "yum-yum" might have been warrented but I think you went a bit over the top there.
Jonathan

"It is impossible to build a fool proof system; because fools are so ingenious."

porschemad911

Post by porschemad911 »

2004 Yalumbe D Cuvee Cabernet Shiraz - pity Yalumba's going out of the style because it's a winner - like drinking Signature with bubbles - just beautiful.

Agreed, this is wonderful. My sister and I really enjoyed a bottle last Friday night. I'm not much of a sparkling red drinker, but this blew me away!

daz

Post by daz »

Cloth Ears wrote:
daz wrote:Just an overreaction to the almost ubiquitous overuse of what I consider to be the childish and meaningless term "Yum!"

Au contraire, mon ami. I believe the dictionary definition of "yum" is excellent; delicious: used to indicate pleasure or enjoyment. Which is probably what the poster intended to say (without having to type in a lot of flowery prose). I understood what was meant. Possibly a reaction to "yummy" or "yum-yum" might have been warrented but I think you went a bit over the top there.

What do parents say to their infants when trying to convince them to ingest food or drink? And what do children say when they enjoy food or drink just as they've be taught to say? I don't appreciate flowery prose either, have posted acerbic criticism on another forum of attempts to emulate William Wordsworth in a tasting note of a wine. "Yum" means nothing more than the poster indicating enjoyment of the wine. Do we need a "yum" rating? Does a "yum yum yum" wine equal a three star wine, mean it's reasonably yummy, but not as yummy as a five yum wine?

What's wrong with, "I really enjoyed this wine, think others will too."? Yum is an infantile expression of enjoyment of anything ingested. C'est vraiment, n'est-ce pas?

rednut

Post by rednut »

Time to switch to decaf me thinks.
"A woman drove me to drink, and I'll be a son of a gun but I never even wrote to thank her" WC Fields

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

Yoplait... its French for yum.
Sam

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

A couple that are worth mentioning:

1999 Tyrrell's Belford Semillon. I had two bottles of this from auction and the first, opened about two years ago, seemed to be right at the end of its useful life. I then forgot about the other one so really didn't have high hopes on opening. However, the cork wasn't in too bad shape and the colour was much lighter than the previous effort, so things were looking good. In fact the wine had really retained some youthful characteristics - citrus in particular - and to my mind it could have passed for something half its age. As a second or third label bought for no more than $20 this shows once again what a rewarding experience Hunter Semillon can be with patience and a bit of luck.

With the same meal we also compared 2008 Ata Rangi Pinot Noir and 2008 Eldridge Estate Pinot Noir. This really surprised me because I'm not sure that I didn't prefer the Eldridge. The Ata Rangi just seemed a tad lifeless - maybe going through a phase or something but it was largely missing the vibrant fruit I love in this wine. The Eldridge, by contrast, was rather less ascetic that I expect from a Mornington Pinot. For my money it would be up there with the likes of Kooyong.
3, 65, 7, 50

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

daz wrote:"Yum" means nothing more than the poster indicating enjoyment of the wine.

Yep, sounds about right to me. As opposed to yuck, which is what word snobs can be. :lol:

mark as

Post by mark as »

Good writing should be both clear and concise. "Yum" meets both of the measures extremely well! Thank you rednut for an excellent tasting note.

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears »

daz wrote:What's wrong with, "I really enjoyed this wine, think others will too."? Yum is an infantile expression of enjoyment of anything ingested. C'est vraiment, n'est-ce pas?

mark as wrote:Good writing should be both clear and concise. "Yum" meets both of the measures extremely well! Thank you rednut for an excellent tasting note.

I believe that any understandable description of a wine should be acceptable. So whether the description is infantile or erudite, it should be allowed to be posted without critique on the style - only of the content.

2003 Yeringa Ridge Durif - I bought a few of these either at auction or from the merchant at the Dandenong Market. Either way, they would have come in at less that $4 a pop. Now, you might say, "Why bother?", but I have found that I can waste a nice bottle of red when drinking it with the sometimes fiery pasta sauces that my wife makes, or with other very hot and spicy food. Whereas this wine is the perfect compliment to it.
On taking out the cork, you notice that there is very little cork staining (comparitively, as the wine is fairly dark), so this must be something to do with the composition of the pressed cork "cork". Then you notice a fairly hefty waft of alcohol (even though this is not a super high abv wine), but this is followed up by quite a fruity smell. Almost like a real wine! The secret to these wines is not to drink immediately, unless you want to feel like you have been in a fight in a nightclub (the old, pre anti-smoking kind). Decanting and allowing to breathe for about an hour not only improves the drop, but also means that you can avoid the 1-2 teaspoons of sediment that have collected on the past 8 years.
Anyway, once decanted and aired for a while, this becomes approachable (think bull terrier instead of Siberian tiger). The first mouthful gives you a big berry hit all the way to the tonsils, but it actually goes down rather well. Tannins, which can be overpowering if you don't rest it first, are definitely there but not obnoxious. It does beckon for another taste, and you are rewarded (?) with some dried fruit tones and more of the same berry (I can only descibe it as) 'hit'. Perfect with hot Indian food, hot pasta or a big steak with lots of BCB's. Do not try this wine with anything delicate. I probably wouldn't want to open it for a candle-lit dinner (no telling what would happen if exposed to a naked flame).
This wine has it's time and place. Not many of them, to be sure, but we've managed to get through nearly a dozen in a little over a year (I have a whole bed of chilli plants in the garden). It would also be the perfect wine to open when you want your dinner guests to go home. This is a Tony Stark of a wine (as against a Clark Kent), not shy and retiring, and would certainly be helpful in removing dinner guests who have stayed for too long.
Depending on the occasion (and the amount of decanting time), I'd rate it between 86 and 74. I probably won't use the last remaining bottle as weed-killer.

Not 'yum'. ;) N.B. 'BCB' (from Terry Pratchett) = Burnt Crunchy Bits
Jonathan

"It is impossible to build a fool proof system; because fools are so ingenious."