Compare Aussie reislings with German styles

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Banger

Compare Aussie reislings with German styles

Post by Banger »

Would anyone care to hazard a comparison between CURRENT Australian reislings and similar styles from Germany (I being a closet German luva). Should I buy up on Australian reisling if my tastes run more to the Germanic styles or run a mile ?

Timmy

Re: Compare Aussie reislings with German styles

Post by Timmy »

What style of German riesling - they range from dry to very sweet - Kabinett,Spatlese,Auslese,Beerenauslese,Trockenbeerenauslese,Eiswein ?

YourNme

Re: Compare Aussie reislings with German styles

Post by YourNme »

I am interested too. We all are.

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

If my memory serves me correctly, I read an article (from JH) on how Ken Helm based the style of his rieslings on german ones. I haven't tried them though.

Also excellent are Crawford River riesling and Seppelt Drumborg riesling. They have less alcohol, and are softer than the Clare Valley ones.

Alan

Phil Shorten

Australian vs German rieslings

Post by Phil Shorten »

Personally I tend to find that Australian rieslings have more in common with fuller bodied Austrian rieslings than lighter bodied German styles which have varying amounts of residual sugar.

Many of the Austrians tend to show a bit more spice and richness in their youth, but approach similar alcohol levels and power as rieslings from the Clare and Eden Valleys and Great Southern.

There are of course Trocken styles being made in Germany, but I find those I have tried to be disappointing with quite sour lean fruit.

Cheers
Phil

Michael

Post by Michael »

they don't really have much in common with german or austrian rieslings. The Austrians much more steely with high acid levels, and the germans more floral and delicate and usually better balanced.

A german Kabinett or Spatlese is going to be much lower in alcohol, with a fine delicate structure and a long pure finish. They may or may not have residual sugar - often fermented out. They age forever, and can have a real lightness of touch still maintaining excellent complexity.
Vintage is very important.

The Australian in comparison is much riper, broader, and more coarse in texture. Often gathering an early petroleum touch through riper phenolics. Intense lime and citrus notes, and a piercing mid palate, with toast elements often not found in the Germans. Less complex, but perhaps more immediately satisfying.

Very different styles, broad power vs delicate floral characters. the closest oz/nz equivalent is the felton road.

cheers
M

boardo

reisling

Post by boardo »

i have difficulties finding similarities between australian and german reislings. german reislings, to me, only satisfy late on the palate. ( trocken of course) i think that aside from the gentle acid found in these i prefer everything else about aussie reislings. you can go from gentle fruit to austere and minerally just by selecting alternate regions. but above all, our reislings are full and generous. this is not typical of the german. particularly those from along the mosel. the rhine offerings seem to be the pick. the problem is, they struggle to produce ripe fruit. they are alowed to blend a certain amount of juice to bring up the fruit ( i believe the juice concentrate must be derived from the same vintage and region)

my thoughts........after several aussie reislings.

Michael

Re: reisling

Post by Michael »

boardo wrote:i have difficulties finding similarities between australian and german reislings. german reislings, to me, only satisfy late on the palate. ( trocken of course) i think that aside from the gentle acid found in these i prefer everything else about aussie reislings. you can go from gentle fruit to austere and minerally just by selecting alternate regions. but above all, our reislings are full and generous. this is not typical of the german. particularly those from along the mosel. the rhine offerings seem to be the pick. the problem is, they struggle to produce ripe fruit. they are alowed to blend a certain amount of juice to bring up the fruit ( i believe the juice concentrate must be derived from the same vintage and region)

my thoughts........after several aussie reislings.

Boardo,
has this been your experience with the wines of Loosen, Leitz, Donnhoff & Egon Muller in recent vintages say 2001 & 2002?

You seem quite tuned in, but I don't recognise your characteristics as described?

The wines of Pfalz are very full and generous I would say.

Best,
M

Re: reisling

Post by Guest »

Michael wrote:

Boardo,
has this been your experience with the wines of Loosen, Leitz, Donnhoff & Egon Muller in recent vintages say 2001 & 2002?

You seem quite tuned in, but I don't recognise your characteristics as described?

The wines of Pfalz are very full and generous I would say.

Best,
M[/quote]

Michael

can't comment. my visits to germany are normally restricted to rhineland region. ( and once to the mosel)

as you seem well versed in german plonk, do you recomend any specific regions? i will be in germany early next year and would welcome suggestions.

boardo.