International Grenache Day

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Michael McNally

International Grenache Day

Post by Michael McNally »

Hi all

International Grenache Day. I will be opening my (sadly) last bottle of 2009 Head Wines Grenache and maybe another (just for comparison's sake......)

What have you lined up?

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

chillwrx

Re: International Grenache Day

Post by chillwrx »

99 Holy Trinity Grant Burge the same as I opened at a recent 9ish) offline. Lovely grenache dominant blend. Will drink whilst watching the Hawks kill the pies tonight.

Had the 09 samuels gorge last sunday which was awesome.

During the week in Perth had a a Yalumba Single vintage grenache at Balti (indian restaurant in Perth) which was lovely, the wine and the food.

Grenache is my favourite red so my drinking this week is not unusual....

milky

Post by milky »

As alluded to in the other thread, 9 of us are having a Chinese dinner with some bottles to celebrate Grenache.

International cast, both attendees & wines.
- Charles Melton 'Rose of Virginia' 2009 (!)
- Charles Melton 'Nine Popes' 2006
- E Guigal Gigondas 2006
- a Cotes de Luberon (will advise specifics post-event)
- a Spanish Garnacha (will advise specifics post-event)
- another Aussie GSM (will advise specifics post-event)

Can't wait for the dinner! :)

Have a great International Grenache Day!
Gosh... all this talk is making me thirsty!

Michael McNally

Hi Craig

Thought you saved the Holy Trinitys for special occasions with Nic, or is she a hawks fan too? :D

I'll keep an eye out for the Samuel's Gorge.

Cheers

Michael

Michael McNally

Nice lineup milky. I look forward to the notes.

And I just remembered I picked up a couple of 2001 Torbreck The Steading recently at auction, so I might give one of them a crack instead of the Head Wines....

odyssey

Post by odyssey »

Thinking of a Spinifex Papillon (2009 I think). Such a flexible, food friendly wine... Had it with a Crust Piri Piri Chicken Pizza last time and even that worked.

chillwrx

Post by chillwrx »

Michael McNally wrote:Hi Craig

Thought you saved the Holy Trinitys for special occasions with Nic, or is she a hawks fan too? :D

I'll keep an eye out for the Samuel's Gorge.

Cheers

Michael

needed a red wine and not much left - did share it with nic though. This one was not from our original stash though.

Just bought (and opened) two grenaches, the first is a spanish garnacha 2009 altovinum "Evodia" from calatayud from vines üp to 100 years old. Very modern labeling and a light and savoury grenache but still with enough flavour to really satisfy me and opening up all the time. Sealed with Diam.

The second is a LaCurio 2006 reserve Bush Vine Grenache. Very tight right now.

The second glass of the evodia was much better. Happy with my selections at this stage as I am sure the curio will not dissapoint from previous experience.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

I hope everyone enjoys their Grenache tonight while I am stuck at work. I think Grenache is making a bit of a comeback recently with some fine examples particularly from the smaller boutique wineries that are getting access to some high quality Old Vine fruit (Head, SC Pannell, Cirillo, Spinifex amongst many others).

I had a 2007 Bodegas Leceranas Garnacha Vino de la Tierra Bajo Aragon Evohé the other night at a new BYO Tappas place that has opened nearby and it was a great match with the food. Nice wine that was ready to drink. Lots of spice and a good lick of cherry and some black fruit lurking underneath. 3.5/5

We are having a few friends over on Sunday for a BBQ, so I will celebrate Grenache Day then. We will have a Noon Rose to start, then:
2006 The Colonial Estate Grenache Eclaireur Old Vine and a
2006 Ross Estate Grenache Old Vine and a
2008 Spinifex Papillon to top it off.

Enjoy your night everyone.
Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

06 Marco Cirillo Grenache for me as i didnt go to wine club tonight and they have a load they were having .................... :mrgreen:

Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

Michael McNally

2001 Torbreck 'The Steading' Barossa Valley Grenache Mourvedre Shiraz. Cork. $22.50 (at auction recently)

Cork is soft and in fantastic nick. Colour is stong - clear dark red with just a hint of brown at the rim. Earthy nose with dark musk, cinnamon and dark fruit pastille. Leathery, earthy toned fruit with these secondary characteristics dominating over the first hour while the wine opens up. Black cherry and black plum fruit with some cinnamon, vanilla bean and smokey bacon/charcuterie. Wet earth (in a good way). This wine appears to be in its prime, but with plenty of oomph.

An hour later, the fruit flavour is tending more towards the (brandied) plum spectrum. But for those who think the alcohol might be showing, no it is still very well balanced. Delicious. I have put a quarter of the bottle away to sample tomorrow night to see if it still has places to go - will report.

Obi-Wan: "That bottle of Grenache is our last hope."
Yoda: "No, there is another."

Happy International Grenache Day! :D

Michael

PS I would like to personally thank the fool who bought this, cellared it so well and then sold it at auction. Thank you anonymous benefactor!!

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Oh dear, I'm have fish tonight and was planning to open a Greek white wine, an Assyrtiko fron the island of Santorini. Unless the menu is changed International Grenache day will have to wait.

Of course I could open another bottle after dinner...........

Mahmoud

ctrunfree

Post by ctrunfree »

A 2004 Turkey Flat Grenache did the trick for me...excellent now, and no sign of it going over the edge any time soon..

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Spinifex Esprit 07 for mine. Juicy, luscious, generous, lovely stuff.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Any excuse for a grenache... So today went for an old favourite... Penfolds Cellar Reserve Grenache 2002. This was always a divisive wine back in the 04-06 era, many people found it one dimensional, sweet fruited and with so-called 'added tannins'. On the other hand, many raved, waxed lyrical and 94+ pointed it big time (GW, JH, JO etc). I was initially in the latter camp, and it was a real favourite of mine for quite a while. My last bottle 18 months ago I found a bit in the former camp however, and at the time I was feeling perhaps it had lost some of it's balance and was tending strongly towards the singular ribena/raspberry end of the spectrum. (Not that there's really anything wrong with that for many of us!). So tonight?

Perfect cork, took an hour or so to open up (direct from from cellar temp). A bit musty, perhaps even a hint of brett right from the bottle, but that soon fades. Not a huge nose, but earthy, rich and yes very fruity. For me it still has some balance, while remaining firmly in the aforementioned super ripe raspberry mould. Decent medium length finish, no alcohol noticeable, and the lovely ripe raspberry and blackcurrant flavours keep it interesting and very enjoyable. Plus, as James May so nicely put it, it goes very well with itself. Very Good.

One bottle left, will give it a few more years and see what it does. Halliday said 2012+ back in 2004... Be interesting to find out.

Cheers
Tim

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

ticklenow1 wrote:I hope everyone enjoys their Grenache tonight while I am stuck at work. I think Grenache is making a bit of a comeback recently with some fine examples particularly from the smaller boutique wineries that are getting access to some high quality Old Vine fruit (Head, SC Pannell, Cirillo, Spinifex amongst many others).

I had a 2007 Bodegas Leceranas Garnacha Vino de la Tierra Bajo Aragon Evohé the other night at a new BYO Tappas place that has opened nearby and it was a great match with the food. Nice wine that was ready to drink. Lots of spice and a good lick of cherry and some black fruit lurking underneath. 3.5/5

We are having a few friends over on Sunday for a BBQ, so I will celebrate Grenache Day then. We will have a Noon Rose to start, then:
2006 The Colonial Estate Grenache Eclaireur Old Vine and a
2006 Ross Estate Grenache Old Vine and a
2008 Spinifex Papillon to top it off.

Enjoy your night everyone.
Cheers
Ian

2009 Noon Rose. McClaren Vale. 100% Grenache so fitted with the theme well. Quite dry and also a real full flavoured Rose. Lots of cherry and red fruit flavours and was a nice start. 3.5/5
2006 The Colonial Estate Eclaireur Old Vine Grenache. Barossa Valley Decanted for 2 hours. On the nose it showed a little cherry and a bit of chocolate as well. Nice wine that starts with a whack of fruit but the longer in the glass the better it got. Tannins are very fine and oak a back seat. Quite big for a Grenache. The fruit is the primary focus and all in all a pretty good Grenache. 3.5/5
2006 Ross Estate Old Vine Grenache. Barossa Valley Label states it is from 100 year old vines. I was a fan of Neville Falkenberg's wines from when he worked at Chain of Ponds so I bought a few of his wines when he moved to Ross Estate. A fair bit fruitier than the TCE wine but still pleasant. Tannins are silky smooth and very much in the background and fruit almost too much, even for me. It settled down and slid into it's just medium body quite well. The red fruits are dominant but somehow come together with decent balance. Just a lot different from the above wine. Should have had this first. 3.5/5
2008 Spinifex Papillon. Barossa Valley A wee bit lighter than the first 2 Grenaches even though it is a blend. Nice way to finish the night as this is quite an easy drinking style. Not a huge amount going on complexity wise but by this stage, that was OK. Lots of red fruit and tannins little chalky. Balance OK and will drink my last couple of bottles over Christmas. Good though and I have a glass left for tonight. 3/5

Cheers and Happy Grenache day, whatever you did.
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

milky

Post by milky »

Hi all,

The Grenache Day wine dinner at Spring Court (Chinese) Restaurant, in Singapore's Chinatown area, was a blast!
We had had good fun, good wines, good food & excellent service. 3 Singaporeans, 3 Australian, 2 English & 1 Malaysian.
A lot of the conversation was wine-centric, which is a welcome change, as our previous 2 wine dinners were more geared to social exchanges...

To the wines (we realised we mucked up the tasting order a little, but not too much of an issue):

1. Charles Melton 'Rose of Virginia' 2009 (Barossa Valley)
This wine should be enjoyed young! Has lost a bit of its freshness and what I'd call "bursts of fruit flavours", but still retaining fruit sweetness. Still bright crimson colour with slightly duller hues. A little jubey. Finished short, but definitely whets our appetites.

2. Charles Melton 'Nine Popes' 2006 (Barossa Valley)
A lot heavier than expected! Deep dark red with purple hues. Nose: beautiful dark fruits & licorice. Fruit-forward, plums & dark berries, med-full bodied, fruit sweetness ++. A nice lingering finish. I let half a glass sit there for an hour, and returning to it, found a layer of nice integrated oak adding some complexity. Was double-decanted, but probably should have left in a decanter for a while more during dinner.

3. Marrenon 'Sepia' Cotes du Luberon 2006 (Southern Rhone, France)
What a contrast to the 'Nine Popes'! Deep dark red with crimson hues. Nose: earth, flowers (one suggested lilacs). On the palate, light-med weight despite its look, oaky with some minerals accompanying lighter fruit weight, light tannins. Finishes well and inviting. A well-balanced & very enjoyable wine.

4. E Guigal Gigondas 2006 (Southern Rhone, France)
Mr Brett dropped in for a (thankfully) short visit. Gamey, meaty, and some dark fruits on both nose & palate. Med palate weight, some oak showing up, savoury. A good finish, more-ish. (notes starting to become light from here on... heh)

5. d'Arenberg 'The Stump Jump' GSM 2009 (McLaren Vale, Australia)
What an inviting, balanced wine! Nice & fruity, with some light oak treatment. It says: don't think too much, just drink me & enjoy it! Interestingly, this is the most generally liked wine of the night, although not the WOTN.

6. Acústic Celler 'Acústic' 2006 (Montsant, Spain)
I had 1 word for this wine: oak. This wine was made with a Rhone blend. Don't remember too much of it, our discussion of this wine centres more around its name & wine region (telling, ain't it?). A nice wine, but pales in comparison to the 2 Frenchies & the 'Nine Popes'.

7. Herederos Del Marques De Riscal Rioja Reserva 2005 (Rioja, Spain)
A ring in. Being a Rioja, predominantly Tempranillo, only 20% Garnacha. But, we're an inclusive lot of people, so this wine got a jury hearing. Oh dear, Mr Brett again! This time, more persistent. The owner of the bottle was disappointed as the other bottles he had before were fantastic. We sooked over this for a while, during which time the brett blew off a bit to show us what a svelt wine this could have been. Ended up having a short discussion about brett, which the wine suffered the ignominy of being the only bottle not finished...

WOTN: tie between 'Sepia' & Gigondas - the French won the night! :o

Notes & impressions are brief, as we swept through the wines & food relatively quickly, with the conversations all changing rapidly too. But, wine is about enjoyment, and we definitely enjoyed most of them! :D

Will see if I can swipe the tasting notes off one of the attendees, who has got an amazing palate, and add to the notes above. :wink:

Cheers!
Gosh... all this talk is making me thirsty!

Michael McNally

Nice notes thanks milky.

Turned it into a Grenache weekend with a 2009 Gramps Barossa Valley Grenache. SC. $17.
Vibrant nose of lollies, musk and mildly macerated cherry. Some pleasant floral notes. The palate is moreish with bright fruit and a good balance of savoury/sweet. Not as good as it tasted 3-4 months ago and the second half last night was less impressive so possibly not a keeper. Very Good.

Cheers

Michael

odyssey

Post by odyssey »

No Grenache on the friday but saturday went with a 1998 D'Arenberg Ironstone Pressings - no notes but I remember this being very juicy and still quite youthful. Red Smurf thought this had some oak but I hardly noticed it with all the juicy red fruit lingering. Maybe in comparison to his Chateauneuf yes, but nowhere near as woody as the 2002 Odyssey left overs from the prior night.

Back on topic though, still plenty of age in the Ironstone, one of the better '98 SA wines i've enjoyed, a lot of them really starting to hit their stride now.

Michael McNally

Turning into International Grenache Month at my place. Last night a 1999 Fox Creek McLaren Vale Grenache Shiraz. Serious bottle stink resolved itself and a good wine emerged.

Tonight a 2008 La Curio La Nubile McLaren Vale Grenache Shiraz. Lovely floral nose with blackberry and vanilla musk. Nice savoury edge. Good tannin. This could improve with some age. Very, very good.

Cheers

Michael

via collins

Post by via collins »

2006 Kilikanoon Duke grenache

Smoky red fruits - raspberries, strawberries, with a rich mouthfeel, lovely balance, and a piercing spicy, herbal wash in the back of the palate. A real pleasure to drink, shaded a little by the 09/10 Heads that I've enjoyed this year, but a mighty fine grenache nonetheless.