Sep '11 purchases - what's new?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
via collins

Re: Sep '11 purchases - what's new?

Post by via collins »

6 x 2006 Kilikanoon The Duke.

My contribution to International grenache day.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

added a dozen 2009 Pirramimma Shiraz Petit Verdot to my collection, finally managed to get this one at the price I watned ($80 incl delivery and auction fees)

AndrewCowley

Post by AndrewCowley »

3x 2004 Seppelt Moyston Caberbet Merlot
3x 2008 Shaw and Smith Shiraz
2x 2005 Jasper Hill Georgia's Paddock Shiraz (wanted 3 but they only had 2)

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears »

A dozen Brand's Laira Blockers C/S 2008 (actually 14, but 2 went to work). Missed the Dan's special at $18/bottle, but $21 was OK.
+ 11yo Allt A Bhainne single cask bottling from Douglas Laing
Jonathan

"It is impossible to build a fool proof system; because fools are so ingenious."

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

From auction:

3 x Brands Laira 1999 Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon

2 x Houghton Margaret River 1999 Cabernet Sauvignon. Last 6 of these were fantastic.

3 x Houghton Margaret River 2000 Cabernet Sauvignon.

From email:

12 x Irvine 2009 Merlot Cabernet Franc cleanskin. They ran out of labels on the bottling run. Bought on a whim. One born every day but at $10 who can resist.
Hopefully a good Tuesday night quaffer.

Carl
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

daz

Post by daz »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:Not wine related but an absolute bargain:

2 x Cragganmore, Distiller's Edition, Distilled 1993, Bottled 2007, Double Matured, Single Speyside Malt at A$55!!!!!

Now a very happy camper.

Mahmoud.

I'd be happy with that deal too! Cask strength abv? Grant's Monkey Shoulder vatted/pure/blended malt with components from three different Speyside distilleries was quite enjoyable recently with some honeyed sweetness - bourbon oak is noticeable - thought it good value for $37.70, preferred it to The Glenlivet 12yo (usually my staple single malt) that followed it. No mention of age on the MS bottle nor the website. The only Cragganmore I've tried is the entry-level 10yo(?). Haven't tried any of the special/vintage/aged bottlings from any distillery. Lagavulin 16yo is the malt I particularly enjoy of those I've tasted from the Isle of Islay.

Cheers Mahmoud

daz

p.s. What is "Double Matured"? 14 years in casks?

redwine

Post by redwine »

Got some good bargains.....

1 x James Irvine Grand Merlot 1997 (Magnum)
1 x Penfolds Grange 2001
2 x Torbreck Run Rig 2004
6 x Henschke Tilly's Vineyard 2006
3 x Trevor Jones Black Cuvee NV

1 x Verite La Muse Merlot 2001
1 x Newton Cabernet Sauvignon 1986

1 x Chateau La Closerie Du Grand Poujeaux 1945
1 x Chateau Leoville Las Cases 1969
1 x Chateau Leoville Las Cases 1980
1 x Chateau Haut Brion 1972
6 x Chateau Haut Brion 1987
1 x Chateau Petrus 1976
1 x Chateau Pichon Longueville Comtesse 1976
1 x Chateau Cheval Blanc 1979
1 x Chateau Angelus 1983
2 x Chateau Pavie-Decesse 1987
1 x Chateau D'Yquem 1999
6 x Chateau Rauzan-Segla 2004
3 x Chateau Pontet-Canet 2005
1 x Mommessin Clos de Tart 1949
1 x Leroy Richebourg 1958
1 x Leroy Chambolle Musigny 1969
1 x Clos des Lambrays 1983
1 x Louis Latour Bonnes Mares 1993
1 x Edouard Loiseau Bonnes Mares 1995

2 x Tenuta San Guido Sassicaia 1984
1 x Quintarelli Amarone 2000
1 x Romano Dal Forno Amarone 2001
1 x Romano Dal Forno Vigna Sere 2003
1 x Romano Dal Forno Valpolicella 2004

We recently also had a little Bordeaux tasting with many older wines starting in 1966 and ending with a rather young one of the vintage 2001. To our surprise all of the tasted wines were in very good conditions and to drink nicely.

Ohne Titel.jpg

Bild2.jpg

Chateau Laville Haut Brion 1988 (Blanc): Wonderfully composed with perfect balance, elegant, with great length. Intense fruit of honey melon, peach with fine acidity and striking finesse. Great wine.

Chateau Meyney 1966: Good color, ripe fruit and earth, a bit greenish. Good.

Chateau Leoville Poyferre 1966: Deep red color, sweet, ripe nose with great richness. Complex herb and sweet fruit flavors, to drink wonderfully with a long finish. Very good.

Chateau de Fieuzal 1969: Red color with some amber at the edge. Earthy and spicy, medium body with good concentration. Good.

Chateau Haut Bages 1970: Red color with brownish touch. Full on the palate, quite oaky, nice finish. Good.

Chateau Palmer 1970: Still bright red color, incredibly rich and intense on the nose. Elegant and well balanced with many fruit aromas. This wine can easily go another decade. Great wine.

Chateau Fombrauge 1971: Slightly brownish, but with lovely fruit, cedar and herb aromas. Soft, silky and surprisingly long finish. Good.

Chateau Haut Brion 1972: The best wine of the evening. Still going very strong with perfect color. Silky and seamless all over, wonderfully balanced, structured and a long, long finish. Bordeaux at its best (despite a rather weak vintage).

Chateau Montrose 1995: Still very young and a bit tannic, complex on the nose with overwhelming aromas of blueberries, deep, long and nicely structured on the palate. Very good.

Chateau Tour des Termes 1996: Surprise of the evening. Still very dark, with a nose of tropical fruits. Sweet and silky on the palate with a good finish. Very good, especially considering the price.

Chateau Ducru-Beaucaillou 2001: Young, deep red. Medium-bodied, notes of black cherries and earth. Nicely drinking but lacks a bit the finesse. Good lengths but somehow disappointing considering the price. Good.

Chateau Raymond Lafon 1986 (Sauternes): I was slightly disappointed with this Sauternes, for me it lacked a bit the sweetness. Otherwise, the wine was elegant and soft with aromas of mandarins and candied fruit. Good wine.

Chateau Les Justices 1995 (Sauternes): Golden color, rich, with notes of baked apple, citrus, and sweet spice. Good.

Cheers and happy drinking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

markg

Post by markg »

Nice little Bordeaux tasting you had going there redwine :) Sounds like you unearthed some good ones... thanks for the notes !
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

WICKMAN'S FINE WINE AUCTIONS
FREE membership, LOWEST auction commissions in Australia.
Now accepting wine for our next auction.
http://www.wickman.net.au

Twitter: @WickWine
YouTube: WickWineAuction

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Big month is October.

5 x 2010 Noon Reserve Shiraz
5 x 2010 Noon Eclipse
5 x 2010 Noon Twelve Bells
3 x 2011 Noon High Noon Rose

6 x 2009 Rockford Basket Press Shiraz
6 x Rockford Black Shiraz
4 x 2009 Rockford Rifle Range Cabernet
2 x 2007 Rockford Moppa Springs GSM

2 x 2010 Clonakilla Hilltops Shiraz
3 x 2010 Clonakilla O'Riada Shiraz
1 x 2010 Clonakilla Shiraz Viogner

1 x 2009 Charles Melton Grains of Paradise Shiraz Magnum (for the young fella's 18th I hope!)
2 x 2009 Charles Melton Richeleu Grenache

2 x 2004 Wild Duck Creek Springflat Shiraz
1 x 2004 Torbreck Les Amis Grenache

My cellar is now overflowing so we need to start getting into a few!
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

daz wrote:
Mahmoud Ali wrote:2 x Cragganmore, Distiller's Edition, Distilled 1993, Bottled 2007, Double Matured, Single Speyside Malt

I'd be happy with that deal too! Cask strength abv?
p.s. What is "Double Matured"? 14 years in casks?

The Distiller's Edition is a selection of single malts that is further matured in casks that are chosen by the Master Distiller to complement the whisky. In the case of the Cragganmore the second maturing is done in Port casks. I've no idea how much time is spent in the port casks but it must be enough to insure some influence on the whisky. The Distiller's Edition by Glenkinchie uses Amontillado casks for their second maturation. The other Distiller's Editions are from Lagavulin, Talisker, Oban and Dalwhinnie.

Yes, the whisky is matured for 14 years judging by the dates on the bottle, distilled in 1993 and bottled in 2007. No, it's not a cask strength whisky, this one is 40% abv.

Cheers..................Mahmoud.
Last edited by Mahmoud Ali on Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

1 bottle of Henri Marionet 09 Provignage
1 bottle of Henri Marionet 09 Le Vinefera Gamay

Been looking out for the Provignage for a few years. Moved town, went to the best wine shop in the middle of town and there they were: 6 bottles of the 09. Moving house costs too much money though, so only a single bottle (its 40 euro a bottle). One of the very few pre-phloxera vineyards in France, with Romorantin vines dating back to 1850...The Gamay is made from ungrafted vines planted in 1992. Had (and drank) a bottle of the 08, which was quite dense for a gamay and needed some time in the decanter as well as some food.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

via collins

Post by via collins »

6 x 2004 Saltram Mamre Brook cabernet sauvignon
6 x 2008 Tahbilk shiraz
6 x 2008 Tahbilk cabernet sauvignon

cheers,