Sunday drinking reports 18/9

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Sean

Sunday drinking reports 18/9

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luke W

Re: Sunday drinking reports 18/9

Post by Luke W »

Started drinking some old Haselgrove "H" wines from 2002 - a Wrattonbully and a McLaren Vale. Lovely elegant wines showing plenty of secondary characteristics. Wouldn't wait much longer with these tho'.
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

Peter Schlesinger

Post by Peter Schlesinger »

Pol Roger 99 at dinner with family to celebrate No 1 son's birthday. Very restrained night - we're all getting too old to party hard any more. Followed with a 1990 Bin 707 which was drinking superbly. Can't see it getting better and can't see any reason to find out if it will. My heart was in my mouth when I pulled the cork but the cork gods smiled. Finished with a Toro Albala 1982 solera PX. Great night. On reflection, I'm not sure PX or even vin santo get the recognition they're due.

Cheers, Peter

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Penfolds Bin 407 Cabernet 1996
The mighty 1996 again... practically everything that Penfolds did in this vintage seems to be either excellent, bulletproof or mostly both. That said, bottles of this I've had in the past have been very competent but a bit clinical and possibly even boring whereas this sucker took it to the next level. Beautifully furnished oak, a solid core of fruit and some lovely liquor and liquorice secondary characters coming to the fore. Excellent length, good to the last drop. Will comfortably sit out another five to ten years.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

reschsmooth

Post by reschsmooth »

2007 Chateau Mont Redon CdP. Lovely red fruits and some spices on the nose with a touch of vanillin oak. The palate showed a little savoriness and more spiced fruit and soft tannins. Well worth the restaurant mark up for a birthday lunch.

rens

Post by rens »

2003 Peel Estate Cabernet Sauvignon. Decanted for 3 hours. Tasted on opening and intermittently in between. Initially closed and not much happening. I thought the signs were good. As it sat for longer it opened up and became very herbal with the acid sticking out a bit to much. It pulled itself together by the time I cooked dinner. Nice herbal notes with a small amount of fruit remaining. Some tobacco and acid just poking out a bit ( not badly, but noticeable). Went well with the eye fillet, grilled vegetables and crisp hash-browns. However I think there are probably better wines for the $30 price point. Perhaps the remaining 3 or 4 will dazzle me, won't hold my breath though...
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

2007 Te Mata Elston Chardonnay. Good stuff but perhaps just missing some x-factor. I wanna be drinking a Kumeu Huntington instead. But all that aside it is pretty good stuff with a musky smoky character peach spectrum fruit with nougat influence. Tidy but I'm wanting more razzle dazzle. Its like watching England, not France

2010 Villa Maria Private Bin Dry Riesling. Air NZ trophy winner for $11. Yip and worth every cent. Really interesting complex wine with poise. Stocking up for summer drinking. Who needs cheap Sauv Blanc when you can get this for a song.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

2008 Luskintyre Estate Adelaide Hills Cab Sav - Horrible think I might use the rest for cooking only
2008 Henry Holmes Barossa Cab Sav - Quite nice, once it opened up it was a lot smoother, not a great cab sav but comes into the good cateogry.

milky

Post by milky »

2009 Majella 'Musician'
This is my 3rd bottle this year. Amongst all the other "drink now' wines I have purchased here, this is the most consistently enjoyable one, especially when accompanying a long mahjong session with my uncles & aunties! :wink:
Nice clarity of fruit - my mahjong mates noted that they got a good whiff of the fruit from whence I was swirling the contents in my glass. Fruit forward. Nice, soft & round in the mouth. Gentle tannins. Very slurp-able!
Gosh... all this talk is making me thirsty!

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

1997 Tahbilk Reserve Shiraz

Beautiful balance of Fruit & oak. Not fighting each other, just completely complementary. Not sure it has another 10+ years its meant to have however, but drinking beautifully now after 1+ hr of decanting.

Wonderful earthy aromas, but again (like in the 1992 normal tahbilk Shiraz i tasted last week) there was a slight rusty taste. Could just be me.....not sure.
Some leafy notes and a bit of black pepper spice and dark plumb/chocolate. A little leather rounds off what was a wonderful wine for $25.

simon1980

Post by simon1980 »

Couple of decent bottles for my birthday:

Petaluma Riesling 1999
Golden hue. Nose of honeysuckle, traditional kerosine, and a hint of apricot and mango. Palate medium/full, giving tropical friuts (pineapple?), followed by a slightly "meady" honey, long finish. Dry, acid dropped to a perfectly balanced level. A real treat (for what it's worth: 94).

Jasper Hill Georgia's 2002
Bold dark red/black colour, fading slightly at the rim. Nicely aged nose, with red fruits, and a hint of medicinal interest. Palate full of sweet dark cherry, exotic spice...and then: wham!, drying, slightly harsh tannins. Maybe it was a little too young, maybe it's not for me, maybe I should have been eating a steak. Whatever, the tannin was not terribly well integrated...and the friut may be gone by the time the tannin is ready. (Again, taken with a pinch of salt, 91. Was heading towards 93ish...before the tannin).

Overall enjoyable, but maybe expected a little more!

Simon

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Some wines from a couple of committee meetings last week - all were presented blind:

1997 Tardieu-Laurent Cotes du Rhone (cork): Bright, medium red. A lovely wine with a beautifully developed bouquet, blackcurrant, sour cherry and mushroom, a hint of barnyard, toast and river pebbles; the palate’s just as delightful, silky smooth and tarry with strawberry/currant fruit, finishing elegant, long and mineraly. Most picked this a Rhone, but I was leaning to Bordeaux or Burgundy, it was that good.

2002 Penfolds Bin 138 Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre, Barossa Valley (cork): Medium to very dark red. Very sweet and medicinal, cherry syrup and some aniseed, concentrated and powerful but a little simple; the palate’s just as bright and sweet, with some grip on the strong finish suggesting time is on its side. A little disappointing tonight.

2006 Richard Hamilton Burton’s Vineyard Old Vine Grenache Shiraz, McLaren Vale (screwcap): Medium to almost dark red. A bit stinky and a little rubbery at first, vegetal with breathing, meaty and minty with sweet boiled lollies; a spicy entry leads to a light to medium weight palate of bright cherries, mint and pepper, finishing lean but grippy.

2009 Masserie Pisari Primitivo, Puglia (cork): Light to medium red. Quite grapey and ripe, scrubbed cherries/mint and some prune; the palate hints at its region, some sour cherry and rhubarb/stalks with some peppery alcohol warmth leading to a tart, grippy finish. Not really much better or worse than one of our local lesser Zinfandels.

1998 Tollana TR16 Eden Valley Shiraz (cork): Medium to dark red. Still hanging in there, very earthy and mushroomy, raspberries and toast, some barnyard, beetroot and espresso; the palate’s slender and slightly green, with a slender but lingering finish. On this form I wouldn’t hang on to these any longer in contrast to the TR222 I tried a few months ago.

2008 Heathcote Winery Mail Coach Shiraz (screwcap): Dark to inky red/purple. It’s pretty obvious this is a Shiraz Viognier blend without looking at the label (I think it says about 6%), from the colour to the rather stewy/stalky, slightly rubbery fruit with weird vegetal/potato peeling characters, and nasty, sharp tannins on the finish. Awful.

2003 Bethany Pinot Noir, Barossa Valley (cork): Medium to dark crimson. If there’s one thing that’s even worse than a shiraz viognier blend, it’s a poorly made brett bomb like this, full of bandaids on the nose, sickly sweet medicinal/cherry syrup on the palate and a green, metallic finish. Simply inexcusable.

2007 Barossa Muster MMM Mataro, Barossa Valley (screwcap): Medium to dark red. Black cherries and cloves, a little mint to begin with, quite ripe and grapey, slightly medicinal with hints of nutty chocolate, finishing fine and grippy. An unusual wine, but I don’t think it’s a keeper on this form – not surprising given the drought year.

2010 Wynns Coonawarra Estate Shiraz (screwcap): Dark to inky red/purple with noticeable legs on the glass. I could have sworn this was another shiraz viognier blend, slightly rubbery at first, very sweet with cherries and dried apricots, stalky and stewy with a rather bitter finish. I’m sure this has got many positive reviews, but I’m not confident about this wine being a return to form after this bottle.

2005 Wild Duck Creek Fortified Shiraz 375ml, Heathcote (cork): Dark to inky crimson/black. Saturated, lifted dark fruit, blackberry, prune and clove with powerful (but I think fairly neutral) spirit. This was the inaugural vintage chiming in at a reasonable 18.5%, and to be honest I really wanted a bit more length and weight – it was a tough evening, and maybe it was a ‘root day’ given my lesser enthusiastic impressions.

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

Wild Duck Creek Reserve Shiraz 2009 - why hasn't anyone mentioned this wine to me before? Aerated and decanted for about 5 minutes prior to drinking but it took me about 10 minutes before I was game to put it near my mouth - 17% and massive fruit flavour but beautifully balanced. Would have ordered a gross except that my Mastercard limit is looking a bit woeful this month. The friend who shared it with me lives in Cooroy on the Sunshine Coast and he said the winemaker delivered a couple of dozen to him personally - kind of a reverse CD experience (and how could you not invite him in and share some wine!).
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

Teisto

Post by Teisto »

2005 Mt Pleasant Phillp Shiraz this was yuck for a couple of hours until it decided to sort itself out (acid poking out / varnish and no fruit). Developed into a solid drink after this time. If you have any make sure it gets a real good airing
2007 Vintage Cellars CdR Blend This was my last one and for around $12 is a real shame that it's now gone. This bottle was brilliant for the price and a real surprise given the previous bottle wasn't really going anywhere. Savoury dominant and soft was a great BBQ quaffer on Sat night.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Luke W wrote:Wild Duck Creek Reserve Shiraz 2009 - why hasn't anyone mentioned this wine to me before? Aerated and decanted for about 5 minutes prior to drinking but it took me about 10 minutes before I was game to put it near my mouth - 17% and massive fruit flavour but beautifully balanced. Would have ordered a gross except that my Mastercard limit is looking a bit woeful this month. The friend who shared it with me lives in Cooroy on the Sunshine Coast and he said the winemaker delivered a couple of dozen to him personally - kind of a reverse CD experience (and how could you not invite him in and share some wine!).

I've been buying Dave's wines for a while now. I think he likes the road trips and meeting his customers. Stopped for a cup of tea (it was quite early in the day) and a chat last year, but I was at work this year so he didn't stop for long. He usually puts on a tasting of all the current releases at someone's place. Their communication skills aren't great and the allocation system isn't always spot on, but the wines and the people are fantastic. I think the Springflat Shiraz is one of the best QPR wines out there year in year out.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis