Trying to use Langtons for the first time.... Any advice?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
hungus

Trying to use Langtons for the first time.... Any advice?

Post by hungus »

Hi guys, I have never used langtons exchange before but the prices (after factoring in the 15% buyer premium) looks decent.

So decided to take the plunge but just wondering whether there is anything I should keep in mind before I start buying

Thank you

GraemeG

Re: Trying to use Langtons for the first time.... Any advice

Post by GraemeG »

Their cross-ship prices (plus insurance) are, or at least were, extortionate.
By which I mean buying from Sydney & shipping to Melbourne, or vice versa.
Was around $20/case, plus compulsory insurance.
Been a member of Langtons for nearly 15 years, but only bought about 4 times out of Melbourne ever.
Always been a pick-up customer.
cheers,
GG

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

They normally waive the 15% for January each year
When not drinking a fine red, I'm a cardboard claret man!

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Langton's isn't as good a value as it once was. The auction prices are definitely nowhere near as good a value as they used to be. Once upon a time there were bargains to be picked up, but having been watching recently, this no longer seems to be the case. They seem to have started putting ridiculus reserve prices on the lots. I suppose this is good for the sellers, but not for the purchaser. I have also noticed that the clearance rates are very poor. To hazard a guess, I'd say they are not much higher than 50%. I would say this is not good for either the buyer or the seller.

I used to purchase the odd dozen at auction but having now built up my cellar and along with the not so good pricing, I don't bother anymore. I've never sold wine at auction or exchange so I don't know how they treat the seller. Someone will correct me if I am wrong I'm sure, but I think they get 15% from both the seller and buyer.

I agree with GreameG that the delivery prices are an absolute rip off as well. It costs me about $27 to get a case posted to the Gold Coast from either Melbourne or Sydney. I can get cases from WA cheaper than that.

I am able to conclude that the rising of the reserve levels have coincided with the takeover from Woolworths. I personally wish they (Woolworths, and Coles for that matter) would just leave the wine industry alone. I for one will not be renewing my membership when it runs out next year. There is just not the value anymore for me.

Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

hungus

Post by hungus »

Is there a better place than Langtons for back vintages? I am quite new to this game...

I've recently developed a taste for nice aged wines but since my cellar is very new (2-3 years) and very small (around 60 bottles) I have no aged wines sans the DM cellar release stuff which I don't find all that satisfying....

Bought 2x 96 bin 389 and 1x 98 bin 28 since they were better prices than what DMs seemed to be charging (through the exchange). Only thing now I am really worried about is... what is the 'ruin' rate like for stuff purchased through langtons?

mudz

Post by mudz »

i have being thinking of joining Langtons to. i am like hungus as i have only in last year started a cellar around 104 bottles and i have a desire to drink aged wine. i first thought about buying through sterling wine auctions but was told by owner of wine storage facility (which i use) that he and his customers had problems with sterling. He recommend langtons.

the prices on langtons don't seem to offer any great value then add with membership cost, buyers premium and postage have put me off the idea. probable if i had more income to spend on wine i would join but at the moment its more wishful thinking.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Hi mudz, hungus

You can get some decent wines on Langtons, but not "collectables" (ie wines that a lot of other punters want to collect). I have had some luck with older vintages from less popular producers. Got some cracking old Redmans and Leasinghams once for a song and ..... I just went and checked to see what other bargains I had got there and found I haven't bought anything from Langtons for almost 2 years (Nov 2009 my last purchase)! And i check it fairly regularly for stuff.

Ian might be on the money, (though me stopping pre-dates the Woolworths acquisition by some time). Looks like I won't be renewing either.....

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Christo

Post by Christo »

I buy occasionally & would like to see a search function on exchange. Wouldn’t mind a further "no commission period" say midyear :wink: just to help me spend some of my tax return.

I check it out every now and again, I’m following a couple of wines that fail to sell at auction & are ridiculously priced on exchange...

Cannot fault their service, friendly on the phone, in the past I’ve requested pics & they’ve accommodated same day. Ive also consolidated btls into a case in Melb & shipped to me in Sydney at a later date.

c
"You are what u drink!"

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears »

Michael McNally wrote:You can get some decent wines on Langtons, but not "collectables" (ie wines that a lot of other punters want to collect). I have had some luck with older vintages from less popular producers. Got some cracking old Redmans and Leasinghams once for a song and ..... I just went and checked to see what other bargains I had got there and found I haven't bought anything from Langtons for almost 2 years (Nov 2009 my last purchase)! And i check it fairly regularly for stuff.

It's been a while, but I had some success with picking up some pre-aged 'lesser' wines at Langtons for very little money. But, only from my local (Melbourne) and only on a pick-up basis. Postage made these same wines a little too expensive for my blood.
I have found two things, description is not as accurate as you might get from Wickman in Adelaide (who I can always rely on to describe anything out of the ordinary about a bottle), and you would want to leave your bidding as late as possible if you're going to auction (I've never used the exchange).
I've just located my long-term storage to MW Wines (with another Auswine member) and am going to check out their auction site. They had quite a lot of yummy stuff (my second highest rating) sitting around on shelves when we went in on Saturday to do the drop-off.
Jonathan

"It is impossible to build a fool proof system; because fools are so ingenious."

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Last week Langtons offered me a years subscription for free (as i didn't renew) so obviously their clearance rates are starting to cause concern.
I've definitely noticed a lack of bargains and sense the woolies/dan murphys etc collective are providing the majority of wine and strategically pricing the reserves. I'm also sceptical of who/what i'm bididng against. I bought several lots of 98 Charles Melton Shiraz, then it almost doubled in price in a couple of months :shock:
I actually stopped even checking Langtons till they gave me the freebie. However their service was always good, and their wine classification tasting last year was sensational.
Wickmans and Sterling are my preferred source, and provide great service, particularly on provenance history.

Cheers
Michael

rens

Post by rens »

I have purchased once from Langtons (from the exchange) during the no commission period and got 6 bottle that had been heat effected. So what am I saying, ask lots questions about provinance and storage. I've purchased a few (2-3 dozen bottles) off sterling and all those have been fine. I've also sold on Streling (Once) and if I had some more to sell, I'd probably sell there.
There are alternatives to auction if you want aged wines. Some websites have back vintages that have been professionally stored from the date of release. I've found mostly the prices (delivered) are equivilant to, or only slightly higher(generally 5%) than auction but you can collect these with confidence knowing they have been care for.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman »

They also offered me free membership when I didn't renew and also today in the post received a $200 off a case of wine and free $50 wine glasses offer if I used their new brokerage service.
I then phoned them up to take up the offer and finally got suckered into a 6 pack of Petaluma Coonawarra 2003. ($100 off list price for the 6 pack as it was only half a case) Still get the free wine glasses though.
The only Barossa wine avail. today when I phoned was the Elderton Command Shiraz. Zero Clare valley wines avail. and the only Connawarra was the ones I purchased. So not much range there yet, but it sounds like a good service they're now offering.

Now I'm wondering if I got scammed as I didn't know they'd been taken over by Woolies. What would you pay for an 03 Petaluma Coonawarra?

Thanks in advance.

-Thomas.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

I had used langtons a lot in the past, however recently I have noticed there are fewer and fewer bargains on there. (and i didn't know about the woolies take over either..........NOT happy)

To date I have never opened a bad bottle, however in the next two weeks will be opening 2 cases so will see how the quality goes and let you know.

I have only ever picked up the wine from Richmond (in Melb) so cant comment on their delivery charge, nor have i bought from their exchange service....only their auctions.

My best advice is RESEARCH the prices. Especially if you can buy a particular vintage through other retailers or other outlets. KNOW what a good price is and dont get suckered into paying more than you are prepared too.

Go to sites like http://www.auswine.com.au/index.php/

I have seen too many people lately bid (once you include the 15% commission) MORE than if you went to Dans or Auswine.

A perfect example is Langtons current auction:

There is a 2007 DE BORTOLI WINES Noble One Botrytis Semillon (375ml) for sale. Now that is basically the current vintage and can be bought at Dans for around the $27.50 mark

http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_500 ... llon-375ml

This wine's current bid (including commission) is $28.75....and the auction hasnt even finished yet!.

Having said that...there is the occasional good price still to be found. I picked up (inc commission) a 2002 Tahbilk 1860's vine shiraz for $59 (retails for $152)

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

hungus wrote:Is there a better place than Langtons for back vintages? I am quite new to this game...

I've recently developed a taste for nice aged wines but since my cellar is very new (2-3 years) and very small (around 60 bottles) I have no aged wines sans the DM cellar release stuff which I don't find all that satisfying....

Bought 2x 96 bin 389 and 1x 98 bin 28 since they were better prices than what DMs seemed to be charging (through the exchange). Only thing now I am really worried about is... what is the 'ruin' rate like for stuff purchased through langtons?

The best way to taste aged wines is to cellar them yourself. Do not be put off from cellaring modest bottles as they will provide plenty of aged characteristics within a shorter time frame. Keep an eye out for older bottles, you'll be surprised by the things that pop up. Some of the Vintage Cellars bottle shops have older wines (from auctions I was told), sometimes on sale.

Cheers..................Mahmoud.

mudz

Post by mudz »

. Some of the Vintage Cellars bottle shops have older wines (from auctions I was told), sometimes on sale.

i used to work in vintage cellars store, some stores have nice selection of older wines in stock. i really miss the staff discount. i noticed first choice near me even has some older vintage wines for example i saw 2000 Houghton Jack Mann for 89.99.

AndrewCowley

Post by AndrewCowley »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:Some of the Vintage Cellars bottle shops have older wines (from auctions I was told), sometimes on sale.

Yeah I have noticed some hidden gems in those stores as well. Gotta wonder though how long they've been there for and how hot does the store get day in and day out in summer. Dodgy.

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

I'm also a Langton's member, for the same reasons as others have mentioned (only started building a cellar in about 2007 and wanted to back-fill a few older wines). I must admit I don't use it as much as I did initially but from my perspective that's more because I have changed my buying habits (there are now three or four wineries I buy premium product from every year which, together with cellar door visits, doesn't leave much spare for off-the-line buying of premium wines) than the result of any noticeable change in prices. I suspect that if reserves are higher it's more likely to be because more of the stock is coming from the parent entity which is selling purely for commercial reasons (rather than to clear cellar space or because of a change in taste).

I also got the free renewal offer. I didn't read too much into it, certainly not that they're struggling - it just seemed to me that the charge is there to realise value immediately but once you've paid a few commissions they'd rather not lose you. Frankly my strategy from here will be not to renew my membership every year, at least for a few weeks, to see if this offer is a regular one - that may sound tight for the sake of 30-odd bucks but I do feel like I'm paying for the service I get anyway and I'm not such a frequent user that I can't afford to miss an auction or two if necessary.

In terms of the purchases I've made, I haven't noticed a worse failure rate than with any other aged wines though my sample size is still pretty small. I always keep an eye on ullage levels (which Langton's notes) but I'm still more or less happy to assume that most people who sell through Langton's have an idea of how to keep wine. Maybe I'm being naive. That said, I also rarely buy large quantities of older wines - I'd be gutted to end up with a case of something cooked.

Nowadays I tend to browse the Sydney auctions for less well-known wineries that I happen to like, which means I can often go months without bidding on anything. The market is pretty efficient for things like Penfold's, Wynn's, Clonakilla and the top-end old world stuff but there are bargains to be found elsewhere. For instance at the start of the year I picked up a single bottle vertical of about five vintages of Tamburlaine semillon for about $12 a bottle. I've occasionally got some good deals on things like Voyagers and Vasse Felix, too - not exactly off the radar producers but maybe not the most talked about, either.

The other thing to mention is that last year's classification tasting - at which they had all 123 (I think) classified wines available would probably have made five years' membership worth it in one go.
3, 65, 7, 50

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

I have used both langtons and oddbins for about 6-7yrs.. I find oddbins in Adelaide has better "bargains" particularly if your willing to take a punt on odd vintages or lesser wines - e.g. Ive picked up a bunch of aged riesling uber-cheap, & plenty of odds and bods, usually with pretty good outcomes.
------------------------------------
Sam

ozwine

Post by ozwine »

dont know where you are - but lawsons in sydney might be another source (havent used them for years, so dont know how good they are).
also graysonline have some older wines, they also charge 15% + their delivery can be horrendous if buying single btles ($15?)
cheers and good luck
ps i think langtons give you free m'ship if you sell with them?