James Halliday website

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
richard

James Halliday website

Post by richard »

Is anyone using the new halliday website.
I was a member of the old site and was wondering if the new website
was worth joining or if there are any problems with the site.

Richard

TiggerK

Re: James Halliday website

Post by TiggerK »

If you're looking to rejoin, I definitely advise waiting until they get it sorted out. It's a nightmare. Ultra Slow, content seems mostly missing in action or intermittently available. Searching is crap, too much info on the home page and did I mention how slow it was??

Given the budget, (and being 'in the biz') it's so frustrating that respected people like Halliday pay these seemingly incompetent IT 'experts' a lot of money for such a crap result. OK, it's a big job and big expectations, but surely these web developers are really good?? Why not do as cellartracker rightly did and keep the old and new sites both active during the phase-in period??

I'll give it 6 weeks until my subscription is due and then re-evaluate... purple pages might be money better spent.

And then there's the never ending J.Oliver website drama... Maybe we'll see it in 2012??

Cheers
Tim

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Tim's comments are spot on. It's been nothing short of frustrating trying to use it. Sooooo slow and always crashing. Trying to load wines into the virtual cellar was a nightmare. After about 3 hours I gave up. Still in general it should be better than the old site once it's operating properly.

Carl
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

daz

Post by daz »

It seems that every time on opening the site, it's necessary to log on even if the "remember me" button has been ticked. Yep, it is slow, frustratingly so. The "busy" indicator, on Windows Vista at least, needs to be checked to ensure that a search is still in progress. Hopefully, these issues will be addressed quickly as it's still the most comprehensive resource available for info on Australian wines.

calm

Post by calm »

search function appears to be malfunctioning. Sent an email to query if the problem was widespread or if I am using improperly. No reply.
Craig S

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

calm wrote:search function appears to be malfunctioning. Sent an email to query if the problem was widespread or if I am using improperly. No reply.

Ditto all the above

SLOW

search doesn't work

Java doesn't work, especially the 'remember me' option.

Getting many many script errors and Internet 101 basic errors!

I also emailed a few days ago about this, have heard nothing, not a thing, so those bothering to email for information.

Do not hold your breath!

:twisted: :roll:

Not a great 'launch', especially when timed with the release of the new book, and hence maximimum expected traffic!

regards

Gavin Trott

milky

Post by milky »

Have noticed on Twitter that @RedBigot has been giving continuous feedback to @WineCompanion - by reading those tweets, one can get a good idea of what areas of the site is being ironed out.

I was thinking of subscribing to it with the new launch... holding the horses yet.
Gosh... all this talk is making me thirsty!

Adair

Post by Adair »

Yep. Annoying the crap out of me too!
Wine is bottled poetry.

Attila

Post by Attila »

Poor Halliday...multi level beating for that old soldier. Some prefer his new book. It's printed. Not much can go wrong.
"(Wine) information is only as valuable as its source" DB

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Seems to be a bit better today. Adding to the virtual cellar worked well. Response times are better. Hopefully it's back on track.

Carl
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Mark Carrington

Post by Mark Carrington »

Received an e-mail this offering access via an App for A$13 (let's not mention current exchange rate). Thought I'd check here, first. Reckon I'll defer purchase.
Also note J. Oliver has not resolved issues with his site - confirming rumours over here.