Noble One 1998 - how's it drinking?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Softie

Noble One 1998 - how's it drinking?

Post by Softie »

Hi All,

I can buy some of the above. Has anyone tried a bottle in the last year and care to venture an opinion?

Warm regards,

John

chillwrx

Re: Noble One 1998 - how's it drinking?

Post by chillwrx »

Check the colour. I had two recently from the same cellar and both were gone.....

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

John,

It's been about 10 years since the 1998 Noble One was released so it all depends on how well it has been stored. If well cellared then it should be alright as the Noble One is a cellaring style and has a good track record.

I was privileged to have tasted a 1982 Noble One in 2001, at a Sydney wine tasting hosted by Jeremy Oliver. The wine was brilliant, rich, complex and long. On the basis of this tasting I bought a bottle of the 1998. (I believe that the 1982 was either the first or second vintage released).

According to De Bortoli the 1998 is an excellent vintage. This is what they have to say on their website:

"Winemaker’s Comments: The 1998 Noble One is a return to the stunning and voluptuous style for which De Bortoli is famous. It comes from a superlative year for botrytis infection in the Riverina. Slow advancement of infection from Easter onwards, was produced due to misty mornings and sunny afternoons, resulting in very little raisining. Hand picking started on May 20th and went through until June with Baumé ranging from 21 to 26. The 98 blend was made in October 99 and comprises of 70% De Bortoli Estate fruit and 30% fruit from three long term local Botrytis Semillon growers.

Cellaring: With the level of concentration and balance the 1998 should be as long lived as the renowned 1982."

I wish I had bought more.

Cheers...............................Mahmoud.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

I have a couple of 2002 Noble Ones that I am looking at with some uncertainty. I think they will be OK now but holding. I also got hold of some 1990 and 1998 Tollana Bot. Rieslings a couple of years ago, and they were uniformly stuffed (cleaning the drains). I would be more than cautious about 1998 Australian stickies in general.

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

burgster

Post by burgster »

The big question is why bother? Why take the risk on a highly suspect 13yo wine, from a label that I have found disappointing for sometime, when you could buy a young fresh semillon or riesling for probably less money. Hard to see any upside.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Hi,

Burgster said:

"The big question is why bother? Why take a risk on a highly suspect 13yo wine, from a label that I have found disappointing for sometime, when you could buy a young fresh Semillon or Riesling for probably less money. Hard to see any upside."

One bothers because if the critics are correct the 1998 Noble One is a good wine. So far we don't know how it has been stored so I don't see why it is "highly suspect".

If the wine was well cellared the upside would be similar to the upside of an aged Semillon or Riesling.

Cheers.........................Mahmoud.

graham

Post by graham »

After reading this thread I opened a 98. Very concentrated toffee and apricots. I've had it since release stored at 14 degrees and felt it had peaked. Wonderful wine but I'll be drinking the remaining over next two years.
Nothing is so effective in keeping one young and full of lust as a discriminating palate thoroughly satisfied at least once a day.

ChrisV

Post by ChrisV »

I had a half bottle at Christmas 2010 I think (possibly 2009?). It's the only aged Noble One I've had. It was a decent wine but I felt it had probably gone downhill since release as young Noble Ones I've had have been a lot better.

Softie

Post by Softie »

It's a been a terrific response everyone, and plenty of spirited views in both directions. I've bought one bottle to try, and will open it [taking some license] at our Melbourne offline [Favourite French wines] tonight. It's said by a good retailer to have been stored ~14% in their cellar since release [let's accept that at face value].

One bottle is not a fair sample size, but I'll report back.

Warm regards,
John

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Look forward to some notes from last night J & K, no doubt some great wines... hope the 98 Noble 1 stood up!

Allan, have had quite a few 2002 Noble 1's and they're starting to peak now, but I expect to last quite a bit longer. I'm hanging onto my last couple of 750ml'ers for future special occasions, but would be starting to think about drinking 375ml ones now or over the next few years. Great wine IMHO.

BTW, I had a 2006 375ml last night at my birthday dinner, not served too cold, had delicious sweet marmalade, ginger and apricot flavours. Decent balance of acid, not as long lasting as the 02 I think, but far better than the 07 which I find too cloying and sweet.

Cheers
Tim

Softie

Post by Softie »

Hi All,

I didn't get to open the 98 Noble One.

The first wine group meeting and party was quite a success and we had plenty of Sauterne to enjoy with our cheeses.

So a report back is delayed.

Cheers,

John

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

I think the 90s vintages Noble Ones were far shorter-lived than their 80s pre-cedents. None of them had enough acid. From my rather spotty experience, things seemed to have picked up a little post 04, but of courwse they're a bit young to know for sure. A couple of halves of the 07 were the first Noble Ones I've bought in at least ten vintages.

It's 10-odd years since I've had the '82 (first vintage) but it was a triumphant wine then (from 750ml).
cheers,
GG

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Reading these comments, it's pretty important to add if the bottles you are referring to are 375ml (half) or 750ml bottles.

At this ten vintage Noble One vertical a few years ago, Winemaker Julie Mortlock stressed that if you're going to cellar Noble One it should be 750ml size bottles like these: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3654

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

griff

Post by griff »

I would agree broadly with GraemeG's sentiments. Although I think the pick-up was 2002 as that was/is an excellent release. 2002 was good for many Riverina stickies. Had the 1982 at a Perth offline four years ago (375mL from memory) and it still was holding well but perhaps on the way to a gentle decline. Here is the note: "Dark brown colour. A beautifully balanced wine with lime, marmalade, botrytis character on a bed of dark toffee. Very long finish that wasn't bitter and an excellent sticky. Drinking very well."

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Softie

Post by Softie »

Had the 98 (375ml) with wife, Sparky, and Baccaebabe last night; general agreement it was in good order. (Had been stored in good retailers temperature controlled cellar.) Usual aged Bot Sem characteristics: marmalade, honey. Apricot/amber colour. Sparky commented that it was not notably complex, but well balanced. We would have been happy to drink twice the amount if we had it, and weren't swaying already.

BTW, shouldn't the advent of Stelvin closures mean the longevity of 375ml bottles will increase - probably a lot - assuming good cellar conditions?

griff

Post by griff »

Glad to hear Softie! :)
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Softie, are you going to buy any more?

Mahmoud.

Softie

Post by Softie »

Mahmoud,

Only 1 or 2 (not the 6-8 I could). Moving house soon is a practical consideration. I've also noted the ambivalence of so many respondents to 375ml, 1990s Noble One (with corks, therefore). The audience on this site is normally very pro aged wines so the muted enthusiasm for aged N1 makes me cautious. I've drunk far less aged stickies than most other varieties, so I may proceed with caution.

Also think I might see if our emerging Melbourne Melb Wine Enthusiasts group is interested in a night of trying a variety of new and old stickies.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Regards,

John