Weekend drinking - Pinch and a punch

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
odyssey

Weekend drinking - Pinch and a punch

Post by odyssey »

The weekend has started! What are we all drinking?

We've kicked off with a 2006 Lucien Albrecht Alsace Gewurtztraminer Reserve - last night this had some lychee and mango interest but was ridiculously overpowered by gasoline aromas. Most of that has blown off tonight and the wine is getting more moreish by the glass. This would have needed a major decant if it had to be drunk in one night to blow off that petrol.

Sean

Re: Weekend drinking - Pinch and a punch

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

daz

Post by daz »

Tahbilk Everyday Drinking Shiraz 2003

"Decorked a bottle tonight - the cork was perfect though not very long as is mostly usual with Tahbilk corks. Almost essence of Tahbilk, integrated but obvious old, almost honeyed, oak with some cedar and vanillin, a bit of plum but fruit more red than black in the flavour profile. Apart from the typical Tahbilk flick of eucalypt there's also a bit of stalky greenness. Tannins are ripe, almost soft, woven around the core of fruit. Acid is nicely balanced. The wine has aged characters that I can't really describe other than the "old oak" thing. The 14.5% alcohol is a bit spikey on the medium length, drying, finish but not majorly so. Certainly an interesting, good value wine for $9.95/btl."

I posted this note in another thread here but have some further observations to add to it whilst consuming the second bottle I've tried. There's a leathery character that I ascribe to the oak. The finish is actually of good length with notable persistence. It's cork sealed so there may be some bottle variation but it's certainly the same wine, this second bottle perhaps with more plum and dark cherry. Bought only six and returned the favour of a workmate's gift of a Grant Burge Shiraz 2009(? or 2008) from the wine club of which he's a member. It certainly didn't have the cachet of the Tahbilk 03 at the same price.

Tahbilk Everyday Drinking Chardonnay 2008

Varietal chard with good oak and mouthfeel but let down by a short finish.

xsorxpire

Post by xsorxpire »

daz wrote:Tahbilk Everyday Drinking Shiraz 2003

"Decorked a bottle tonight - the cork was perfect though not very long as is mostly usual with Tahbilk corks. Almost essence of Tahbilk, integrated but obvious old, almost honeyed, oak with some cedar and vanillin, a bit of plum but fruit more red than black in the flavour profile. Apart from the typical Tahbilk flick of eucalypt there's also a bit of stalky greenness. Tannins are ripe, almost soft, woven around the core of fruit. Acid is nicely balanced. The wine has aged characters that I can't really describe other than the "old oak" thing. The 14.5% alcohol is a bit spikey on the medium length, drying, finish but not majorly so. Certainly an interesting, good value wine for $9.95/btl."

I posted this note in another thread here but have some further observations to add to it whilst consuming the second bottle I've tried. There's a leathery character that I ascribe to the oak. The finish is actually of good length with notable persistence. It's cork sealed so there may be some bottle variation but it's certainly the same wine, this second bottle perhaps with more plum and dark cherry. Bought only six and returned the favour of a workmate's gift of a Grant Burge Shiraz 2009(? or 2008) from the wine club of which he's a member. It certainly didn't have the cachet of the Tahbilk 03 at the same price.

"Cracked" ;) another tonight with a bunch of non wine snob friends of friends and they all loved it.
I've been struggling to find a wine i like let alone is drinkable to feed my beer swilling mates that doesn't cost me a carton of their precious per bottle.
Now i have.

Both my beer and wine swilling mates have decided this is a good drop.
I've pointed them in the direction and it just may save me having to drink so many bottles of pepperjack.

Not that that is as bad as the acquaintance who believed as wine collector i would really appreciate the bottle of Palandri Merlot he bought me for my birthday...

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

Charles Melton "Brut Peche" Sparkling Rose NV... Deep purple, quite dark. The nose has quite perfumed, confected stawberries and cream (clearly Grenache dominant if not straight varietal). The palate is sweet and relatively simple. Somehow seemed more impressive at the CD, nice breakfast wine.

Jacob's Creek Limited Release Shiraz Cabernet 1996... Happened on a bottle for $29.99 at the local bottle-o (who knows from whence it came). Quite dense red still, the initial nose being a vanilla milk-shake from what was clearly a liberal application of American Oak (21mths in new hogsheads according to the label). With air this does blow off and reveal more blackcurrant, plum and spice characters. The palate is in balance with a lingering finish. Not half bad. Now-5-yrs.
------------------------------------
Sam

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

I tried the range of Mike Press Wines at an instore last Saturday, and had these brief impressions:

2011 Mike Press Wines Chardonnay, Adelaide Hills (screwcap): Bright straw. Still a little sulphur, bright and sweet with banana esters and some grassy characters, no oak influence, and bright acidity on the finish. Needs a few months to come together, but looks promising at this early stage – that said, those who like heavily worked/mlf/oaked chardonnay should steer clear of this one.

2011 Mike Press Wines Sauvignon Blanc, Adelaide Hills (screwcap): Virtually colourless. There’s bright gooseberries and grassiness, but also a distinct turpentine character on the nose this vintage – Mike said this was probably because of the early picking; despite that the palate has excellent weight and length. Good stuff.

2010 Mike Press Wines Pinot Noir, Adelaide Hills (screwcap): Very pale salmon orange. Made as a rosé style, very dry and tart with garden florals and dried cranberry, finishing dry. Not my style to be honest, but then I don’t like the Yering Station either.

2009 Mike Press Wines Pinot Noir, Adelaide Hills (screwcap): Medium to dark red. Jubey and earthy, with good weight for the varietal without over extraction or alcohol warmth, finishing dry. A bargain.

2009 Mike Press Wines Merlot, Adelaide Hills (screwcap): Medium to dark red. I have to admit that after a three year absence I expected more of this, very tangy with orange, medicinal and sweet and sour cherry characters; the palate's better but still not as good as Mike's previous vintages, earthy and a little shorter than I'd like.

2010 Mike Press Wines Shiraz, Adelaide Hills (screwcap): Medium to dark red/purple. Bottled recently, Judy had some concerns about how this would be received, but I’m not sure why since it fits the classic blueprint of previous vintages – that said, I think it will be better in a few months time. Medium-weight, jubey and well balanced, cherry cola with backing vanillin oak, and a solid finish with no sign of any alcohol warmth.

2009 Mike Press Wines Cabernet Sauvignon, Adelaide Hills (screwcap): Dark red purple. More immediately open than the shiraz, denser too with green capsicum/chilli, blueberry and blackcurrant – as always, unbelievable value, this seriously kicks the butt of many cabernets well over twice the price.

2007 Mike Press Wines MP1 Cabernet Sauvignon, Adelaide Hills (screwcap): Dark red/crimson. Just as Mike said, there’s smoky oyster on the nose, then earth, blackcurrant and mushroom; it’s bigger, plusher, more savoury and velvety compared to the regular cabernet, looking for a rich dish like slow cooked lamb shanks or Osso Buco to match.

Cheers,
Ian
Last edited by n4sir on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

2005 Penfolds Bin 28

2005 Leasingham Classic Clare Shiraz

2005 Peter Lehman Shiraz

N/V Croser Sparkling

2007 Toolangi Estate Chardonnay

2010 Catalina Sounds Sav Blanc

will edit this at a later stage and add more detail/review....sorry guys

orpheus

Post by orpheus »

Wendouree Cabernet Malbec 2004 - improved immensely over the last couple of years. Tannins just starting to soften, revealing a rich, dark, powerful wine, with the tannins creating a lovely, firm and long finish. Great intensity of colour.

Mt Langi Ghiran Shiraz 1999 - already slightly past its peak, but still a good wine.

I honestly can't remember what else I have had, which I put down to the quality of the Wendouree.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

2009 Turkey Flat 'Butcher's Block' Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre

Dark red with some purple at the edges. Rich plum pudding and confectionary on the nose, only a small amount of musk. A real mouthful of black fruits with supporting musk and spice. Drying tannins give some length with the balance tipping towards savoury over sweet. Very Very Good. Next night not a lot of change but not a lot of improvement. Keep 2-4 years i reckon at this point.
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

xsorxpire

Post by xsorxpire »

2002 Tim Adams Shiraz Red fruit, hint of liquorice. Other stuff too...

Decorked ;) it as a treat to the missus. Should have waited. Although it was nice after a couple (3) hours in the decanter it was not what i expected. I love Tim Adams wines and this one was just not right for me.
It was a little sharp around the edges and the red plum was just too tart.

Shame really.

I don't think i have another.

orpheus

Post by orpheus »

Leconfield Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 This is a great wine. Hints of lavendar on the nose, and blackberry. Lovely, rich and generous wine on the palate, with restrained but concentrated blackberry on the mid-palate with a firm coating of ripe, substantial tannins, imparting a nice, firm and lengthy finish and the promise of even better things to come in the years ahead.

95 points.

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

orpheus wrote:Leconfield Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 This is a great wine. Hints of lavendar on the nose, and blackberry. Lovely, rich and generous wine on the palate, with restrained but concentrated blackberry on the mid-palate with a firm coating of ripe, substantial tannins, imparting a nice, firm and lengthy finish and the promise of even better things to come in the years ahead.

95 points.

Thanks, this was about my favourite 06 Cabernet from Coonawarra, and have 6 in the cellar. Now I don't need to open one early to test .... great work you!

Now if someone else would like to open a

2008 Majella Cabernet
2007 Cullen Mangan
2006 Balnaves Cabernet
2004 Balnaves the Tally

and report

I won't need to open those early too! :roll: :lol:
regards

Gavin Trott

orpheus

Post by orpheus »

Gavin Trott wrote:
orpheus wrote:Leconfield Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 This is a great wine. Hints of lavendar on the nose, and blackberry. Lovely, rich and generous wine on the palate, with restrained but concentrated blackberry on the mid-palate with a firm coating of ripe, substantial tannins, imparting a nice, firm and lengthy finish and the promise of even better things to come in the years ahead.

95 points.

Thanks, this was about my favourite 06 Cabernet from Coonawarra, and have 6 in the cellar. Now I don't need to open one early to test .... great work you!

Now if someone else would like to open a

2008 Majella Cabernet
2007 Cullen Mangan
2006 Balnaves Cabernet
2004 Balnaves the Tally

and report

I won't need to open those early too! :roll: :lol:

Yes, it was a bit early, but still very enjoyable to drink :).

I bought half a dozen too, and have 4 of them left.

Provide me with samples of the others and I'll taste them for you :) :).

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

2006 Ch Sudairaut Sauternes. Just an avg vintage as far as I know but wow this was just amazing stuff. One or two glasses is enough as it is quite sweet, but the flavour lingering for a minute or more on the palate. It just has the class and complexity and ability to amaze with such an array of flavours. Yummo. Picked up a half bottle for $49 which really is small change more expensive than even an average kiwi sticky

AndrewCowley

Post by AndrewCowley »

Rossco wrote:2005 Leasingham Classic Clare Shiraz

What did you think of this? I had a bottle recently. Was good but perhaps past its best. Seemed to me that the fruit was starting to dissappear. Surprising for a young wine.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

AndrewCowley wrote:
Rossco wrote:2005 Leasingham Classic Clare Shiraz

What did you think of this? I had a bottle recently. Was good but perhaps past its best. Seemed to me that the fruit was starting to dissappear. Surprising for a young wine.

Yeah to be honest I wasnt impressed with this wine. The guy who bought it talked it up as his favourite wine... Fruit seemed a little dull, oak was fine and the tannins in the right spot,just didnt impress me. Seemed to be past its best.

Having said that the Penfolds didnt impress me either....but im a bit bias against them.

The Eight Songs was much better and the toolangi was sensational!!

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Also just picked up

1999 Mount Langi Ghiran - Langi Shiraz
2007 Mount horrocks cordon cut riesling
2001 Majella Cabernet

Will be cracking the Majella very soon!

* sorry, just realised it was the wrong thread

seddo

Post by seddo »

xsorxpire wrote:2002 Tim Adams Shiraz Red fruit, hint of liquorice. Other stuff too...

Decorked ;) it as a treat to the missus. Should have waited. Although it was nice after a couple (3) hours in the decanter it was not what i expected. I love Tim Adams wines and this one was just not right for me.
It was a little sharp around the edges and the red plum was just too tart.

Shame really.

I don't think i have another.

Have a couple of these left + 2002 Aberfeldy and 2002 Cab - drinking windows anybody?

cheers
Seddo