Wine to keep to his 21st

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
countryboy

Wine to keep to his 21st

Post by countryboy »

Hello all

I'm new to the forum and hoped you could provide some advice. My wife and I recently welcomed into the world our first child, in December 2010. I was thinking that it would be nice (ok, a bit cheesy too) to buy a bottle(s) of wine from the year of his birth (i.e 2010) and cellar it until he turns 21 (at which point he will hopefully share it with his aging mum and dad).

So I wondered if anyone had any recommendations on any good 2010 vintages (I know it's a bit early) which I could take a look at. Budget-wise I would be happy to spend up to say $300/$400 per bottle if required.

Or should I wait a few years for the 2010 Grange or similar to be released?

I guess it's very possible that the wine will not be any good by the time 2031 rolls around, but it will more be the thought that counts.

Your thoughts appreciated.
Cheers

malliemcg

Re: Wine to keep to his 21st

Post by malliemcg »

Welcome to the forums!

I too am thinking about this one, (although my Eldest was born in 2009) at present I figure I have plenty of time to worry about it. Any red's that will have the legs to stand up to the time won't be released until this year at the earliest, and any Vintage fortifieds are not likely to be released for a few years. I personally figure that it may be worth holding off a few years to see which wines are showing the legs to stand up to this kind of aging and looking to pick up some much later on, or just waiting until 2 years or so out from the big 21 and grabbing a few to store at home before everyone else who has the idea gets on board.

Depending on what conditions you have at home for storing the wines it may be better off holding off on purchasing, as I think while it would be an awesome present to hand someone a birth year wine, I think it would also be a bit bittersweet if it was not any good to drink.

I know I've not really answered the question well, but before digging too deeply into which vintages where were brilliant in 2010 and could stand up to such aging it may be worth examining if you're going to store them yourself and risk it, or look later in life. Also - do you care about country of origin and style/type? I'm thinking of putting down a case for each of the kids of mixed wines a white, a fortified and a couple of reds, just not yet...

countryboy

Post by countryboy »

Thanks for your reply, you raised some good points.

I agree that it probably makes more sense to buy something good say 5 years out from his 21st birthday, but to me it doesn't feel as special as handing over the bottle (or case) and saying "here you go, I bought this 21 years ago when you were born and I've been hanging on to it ever since".

But I take your point that there is not going to be anything around at the moment which will be able to give you some idea of whether or not it will stand up to that sort of aging. I guess it would be nice if you could 'pre-purchase' the Grange 2010 (or whatever) now and receive it when it is released in 2015 or whenever.

Also a good comment about storage - my storage facilities now are pretty poor, though that will certainly change over the next 21 years.

Gee there's a bit more to this than I had expected.

graham

Post by graham »

You do not have to spend a fortune but to give you an idea I purchased the following for my daughter (2005):
Rockford Basket Press Shiraz
Rockford Rifle Range Cab Sav
Rockford Vine Vale Riesling
Tyrrell’s Vat 9 Shiraz
Tyrrell's 4 Acres
Noble One Botrytis Semillon 750ml
Lake’s Folly Cabernet Blend
Lake’s Folly Chardonay
Lake’s Folly Cabernet Blend Magnums
Clonakilla Shiraz Viognier Magnums
Craiglee Shiraz
Craiglee Shraz magnum
Mosswood Cab Sav
Cullen Diana Madeline magnums
Stefano Lubiana Estate Pinot Noir
Kalleske Greenock shiraz magnums
Kalleske JMK vintage port
Kalleske Johann Georg shiraz
Yarra Yering #1 Cabernet
Yarra Yering #1 Cabernet magnums
Kaye Brothers Block 6 Shiraz
Kaye Brothers The Cuthbert Cabernet
Kaye Brothers Hillside Shiraz
Kaye Brothers Amery Cabernet Sauvgnon
Balnaves The Tully
Coriole Lloyd Shiraz
Brooke Eden Pinot Noir
Kelman Shiraz
Chateau Coutet Barsac
Chateau Rayne Vigneau
Quinta Do Silval Vintage port
Elderton Command Shiraz
Hill of Grace
Cyril Henschke
St Hugo
Domaine Marcoux Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Jasmin – Cote Rotie
Peter Lehman Stonewell shiraz
Pfeiffer Christphers Vintage Port
Stanton and Killeen Vintage Port
Warrabilla Vintage Port
Woodstock Vintage Shiraz
Mt Pleasant Lovedale
Mt Pleasant Elizabeth
Grant Burge Meshach Shiraz magnums

Big formats are good. Champagne next year. Storage is essential, mine are at 13 degrees as most of Ellies collection will go 15-30 years.
Good Luck
Nothing is so effective in keeping one young and full of lust as a discriminating palate thoroughly satisfied at least once a day.

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Wow graham, hope she grows up to enjoy wine (although you will!!)

Countryboy, the most important thing is to only buy something if you are prepared to store it long term in correct cellar conditions (stable constant temp 13-16C, with 60-80% humidity if under cork). Otherwise forget it. You will always be able to buy birth year wines from auctions in the future!! Yes, you'll pay a premium for them them, and still a risk, but it's another option to consider.

I'm not au fait with the 2010 vintage as most cellarable wines from that vintage haven't yet been released, other than great for many SA rieslings, but you'll no doubt get tons of advice here on what wines to buy as the wines appear over the coming few years. I'd not spend hundreds per bottle, too risky long term, maybe get more of a dozen selection of $30-$80 wines, with a bit of regional variety and you can enjoy trying them at special occasions in the meantime until his drinking age comes around. I'm sure Gavin our auswine master could help you choose wisely too...

Cheers
TiggerK

Fortune 3rd reg. attempt

Post by Fortune 3rd reg. attempt »

As the parent of a 21 year old and 19 year old I'd caution that you may find they don't have much interest or perhaps the palate to appreciate a 21 year old wine.

So I'd suggest that you modify the plan a little - by all means acquire the wines, cellar them....but drink them yourself by way of compensation for night club deliveries & retrievals, driving lessons, etc, etc, etc!

xsorxpire

Post by xsorxpire »

Only have a bin 389 for the 12 year old daughter.
She's not that fussed on wine yet, so she will get a taste as we celebrate the fact we have not killed her in 21 years.

graham

Post by graham »

When I say they are for my daughter I say that reservedly, I'll be there to ensure that her friends don't use them as mixers in future years. Countryboy, expect to wait anywhere between 5-10 years to access the good wines.
Nothing is so effective in keeping one young and full of lust as a discriminating palate thoroughly satisfied at least once a day.

malliemcg

Post by malliemcg »

graham - After seeing that list I'm sure you're my long lost father, honest ;)

countryboy

Post by countryboy »

Thanks for the feedback everybody. I think, based on what seems to be the general consensus, that I'm better off waiting a good few years before worrying about buying a nice bottle (or two) to celebrate the 21st birthday.
Thanks again.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

You don't have to wait....

With that amount of cash to burn id buy 2010 Bordeaux En Prem which are jsut starting to come out now. Looks like it is an outstanding and classical vintage. In a month or so offers for the classed growth will be out. A good 2nd growth Palmer, Cos Estournel, Pontet Canet, Ducru Beaucalliou, Montrose, Leoville Barton and the like?? Should be able to land those for $200-400 depending on the label

Would make an alternative or compliment Grange.

New Zealand (especially Auckland) had a stunner year in 2010 probably best ever so various waiheke wines will obviously be attractive. Hawkes Bay too had a very good year. Could pay to stock up on proven labels from here too when they come out

Teisto

Post by Teisto »

malliemcg wrote:graham - After seeing that list I'm sure you're my long lost father, honest ;)

Dang - beat me to it - I was going to say

Dad? Dad? Is that you :wink:

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

Countryboy,

If you are considering putting away any Aussie Rieslings or (Hunter) Semillons to go the distance, you could definitely start looking now.

A number of the good single-vineyard SA rieslings are held back and released with 5 or so years age on them, but there are many other good 2010's that release early and some of them will surely go the distance.

For example if the 2010 Leo Buring "Leonay" riesling is released, and is half-decent, I would offer that as a suggestion.

Keep your ear to the ground. You'll see reports of which producers 2010's are deemed cellarworthy. The Seppelt Drumborg riesling is another that typically can stand a long time in the cellar.

As for Semillons, first port of call should be Tyrrells Vat 1, and the later released Mount Pleasant "Lovedale" (currently 2005 available). There will be others though, so keep your eyes peeled...

Some other posters might be able to suggest some German riesling options. They're pretty special wines; may cost you a lot more, but the good ones will go 20+ years easily.
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I've been cellaring wines for the child in me.

I hadn't thought of it before but in cellaring terms I reached 21 a few years ago. Over the years I have tucked into some of those bottles but in truth I still have many of the bottles I purchased all those years ago. Back then I was just starting and most of my purchases were modest but believe it or not most of the bottles I have opened recently have been delightful. Of course good storage has been important.

It's not the prestige of the wine but rather the structure and balance followed by a cool cellar.

Cheers..................Mahmoud.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

It's not the prestige of the wine but rather the structure and balance followed by a cool cellar.

Cheers..................Mahmoud.

agree, though there is some corrolation between"pretige" and cellar performance. There are exceptions but generally speaking.

If you are storing a wine long term, cellar conditions will make a noticable difference.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

To echo Craig, the 2010 vintage in Bordeaux is a great one, though prices en primeur have me scared. You should probably get some 2nd growths in your price range. 2010 is Barossa is also stellar, and even across the way at Eden Valley. Rockford Basket Press, especially in magnum (not sure if they're still made?) or Henschke Mt Edelstone would work at reasonable prices. And Peter Gago is telling everyone that 2010 Grange is one of the greats, though by then it could well be $700+.

rens

Post by rens »

Most of the Greenock Creek reds with the exception of the Cornerstone Grenache would have the legs to make it. They will be released in about 2-3 years and most you can pick up at sub $50.
Last edited by rens on Sun May 08, 2011 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

cuttlefish wrote:Some other posters might be able to suggest some German riesling options. They're pretty special wines; may cost you a lot more, but the good ones will go 20+ years easily.

Was that come in spinner I heard? :) 2010 is a high acid year in Germany, so there might be a few very long term keepers from 2010.
Choose the Grosses Gewachs wines - dry wines, the German equivalent of Burgundy's Grand Cru or Bordeaux's First Growths - that are relatively expensive in Australia at around $100 each, but wow they are good. Donhoff and Keller are two well regarded here, and I also like Schaefer Frohlich's Grosses Gewachs wines. Keller, Robert Weil, Georg Breuer are also very good options.

If you like sweet wines, choose something labelled Auslese with a Gold Capsule (the gold capsule is important!). Joh Jos Prum, Fritz Haag, Schloss Lieser, Donnhoff again, Willi Schaefer are all good bets. So is Egon Muller, but this will empty your wallet, even more than Prum!
And there's plenty in between dry and dessert wine sweet.

Having said all that I'm a bit reluctant recommending German stuff for 21st Birthday cellars, as wines of this type seem to be better recieved if they have some kind of cache - Grange is #1 for that reason alone. Off dry to sweet German wines are a bit of a niche, at least in Australia, and the Pradikat system takes a bit of time to get used to - happy to help, but its a lto of effort for a one off.

Cheers

Andrew

fatdoi

Post by fatdoi »

rens wrote:Most of the Greenock Creek reds with the exception of the Cornerstone Grenache would have the legs to make it. They will be released in about 2-3 years and most you can pick up at sub $50.

when most of their brew are nothing short of 17% alc, in theory they can be stored till kingdom comes....

or if you can wait, Rusden Sandscrub is nothing short of superb, think they're currently selling 02 so you can have 8 years of thinking/waiting..... not cheap but that's serious piece of artwork
Relax.... In the end it's only grape juice with a twist