Light Body Red Wine... any suggestion

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
FrankL

Light Body Red Wine... any suggestion

Post by FrankL »

I am starting up a cellar, so, I need some advice. :)

Well, in fact that I don't drink much, roughly twice a month. So I would probably buy 2-3 case a year (all red).
Well, problem is here. I like big full body red, generally I know what I like. But my wife like LIGHT BODY RED, and I don't know any light body red :oops: .
The bigger problem is here. If I don't make her happy with the wine cellaring, then, my cellaring plan will be doom :cry: .
I know the best way is take her to wine tasting. However, everytime I asked what she like, she will look into my eyes with her KILLER eyes. :shock: OK, I know that's mean I suppose to know what she liked....

So please help me.

PS: I spend roughly $500 a month for wine, and a quarter of it should be for her.

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Most of my female friends (who have not much prior-experience with wine) actually prefer whites over reds, even though they would tell people otherwise.

For light-bodied reds, things which normally work are:

Sparkling Rose (e.g. Chandon, Billecart Salmon)
Pinot Noir (e.g. Freycinet, Felton Road)
Good French Beaujolais (e.g. wines from Fleurie, Moulin-a-vent)

And things a bit more heavy:

Sparkling Shiraz (e.g. Seppelt Original, Show Reserves, Primo Estate Joseph)
Cool Climate Shiraz (e.g. Bannockburn, Craiglee)

Others would have more to add.

Rob

Post by Rob »

I found blended wines are easier to drink for female wine drinkers. I have similar problem as you Frank.

GSM blends (Grant Burge makes a pretty good one)
Merlot or Merlot blend
Rose as suggested by AlanK

French wines are usually more elegant and less in your face style like some of the Australian Red.

Cheers
Rob

Glen

Post by Glen »

Hi Frank

My partner and I particularly like the Saltram Pepperjack Rose as a nice easy drinking chilled 'semi-red'. It has a little residual sugar, loads of fruit character, and is extremely moorish.

Your best bet would be to go into your local wine store, purchase a selection of lighter reds, and consistently get through these over a period of time to decipher your tastes. However be careful, taste buds are a changing entity and just when you think you really like something.....!

Have fun.

chlam

Post by chlam »

I am FrankL, my acc is activate now :)
Thank You for Reply

So, I did try some white wine with my wife, but she seems she didn't like it at all.... :(
The two we tried was 1996 Tyrell's Vat 1 Semillon, and 2000 By Farr Chardonnay. She drink half a glass for both... :x

Anyway, the next time I will get her try some Australia light red (French wines are very confusing to me :oops: ).

Glen:

Where can I get a bottle of Saltram Pepperjack Rose? Cause I can't find any in my local bottle shop.

MartinC

Post by MartinC »

get her some Charles Melton's Rose of Virgina served slightly chilled.
MC

<i>"If our life on earth is so short, why not live every day as if it were our last. This is the path to happiness and spiritual enlightenment"
Omar Khayyam 1048 -1122</b>

Ed

Post by Ed »

Rockford Alicante Bouchet, Turkey Flat Rose, Charles Melton Rose of Virginia are all excellent light reds

Re: Light Body Red Wine... any suggestion

Post by Guest »

FrankL wrote:I am starting up a cellar, so, I need some advice. :)

Well, in fact that I don't drink much, roughly twice a month. So I would probably buy 2-3 case a year (all red).
Well, problem is here. I like big full body red, generally I know what I like. But my wife like LIGHT BODY RED, and I don't know any light body red :oops: .
The bigger problem is here. If I don't make her happy with the wine cellaring, then, my cellaring plan will be doom :cry: .
I know the best way is take her to wine tasting. However, everytime I asked what she like, she will look into my eyes with her KILLER eyes. :shock: OK, I know that's mean I suppose to know what she liked....

So please help me.

PS: I spend roughly $500 a month for wine, and a quarter of it should be for her.

Do you listen to and observe your wife when she's drinking red wine? YES, you are supposed to know what she likes.

McWilliams Hanwood Cab 2002 is a medium-bodied cheap quaffer that I'd rate acceptable. Tahbilk 1860s Vines 1987, opened to breath for an hour or so, then decanted not long before serving would suit - if you can find any. Otherwise, Ed's rose suggesestions are worthwhile though I've found Turky Flat rose to be a bit variable in style in the few recent years I've drunk it. Always, when chilled, a good summer quaffer though. Melton's 03 rose has had some ambivalent reviews but have yet to try any products from this winery.

Does your wife like Mateus?

Good luck!!

daz

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Pinot Noir is the obvious suggestion - perhaps Coldstream Hills, Stonier, Diamond Valley, or something from NZ or Tasmania.

Other types of red in a lightish mould include Gamay, Blue Imperial (Cinsaut) and some Grenache. Merlot can match the style too.

Another possibility is cool-climate shiraz - southern Victorian or perhaps Great Southern/Margaret River. This can age pretty well too.

Kieran

Baby Chickpea

Post by Baby Chickpea »

A killer wine that has always pleased female friends of mine without exception is the Brown Bros Dolcetto and Syrah - slightly sweet but at $12 an excellent bargain. Problem is trying to find it.
Danny

The voyage of discovery lies not in finding new landscapes but in having new eyes. We must never be afraid to go too far, for success lies just beyond - Marcel Proust

Brett Stevens

Post by Brett Stevens »

I have had some luck with female friends and family in the past with Grant Burge Hillcott Merlot personally i dont like Aussie merlots much but this one is very light. also cheap $14.00

Some of the red sparklings on the market while not medium bodied give that impression due to residual sugar.
Brett

Adair

Post by Adair »

I can't give any better recommendation than the 2002 Palmara Pinot Noir. See here: http://www.auswine.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9520

Adair