ARTICLE: Grape prices to force growers off the land

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
n4sir

ARTICLE: Grape prices to force growers off the land

Post by n4sir »

Two pretty closely related articles about how tough it has been in the Riverland lately:

Grape prices to force growers off the land
Business Reporter Cameron England
January 02, 2011 8:28PM

GRAPE prices that are below the cost of production are likely to force more growers off the land this year.

The current vintage is expected to be a losing proposition for significant parts of the industry.

A wet summer season, with associated crop damage and chemical costs caused by the need to spray for downy mildew, also will impact on growers.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 5980629909

Grape growers count $180m cost
Meredith Booth
January 02, 2011 8:42PM

RIVERLAND grape growers' combined income has declined by $180 million in the past eight years.

As the grape harvest begins in the region for some varieties in mid January, estimated income "at the farmgate" will be on par with last year at $75m, Riverland Grape Growers Association executive director Chris Byrne said.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 5980635781

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

daz

Re: ARTICLE: Grape prices to force growers off the land

Post by daz »

Yep, they've been screwed by the corporates and the industrial production levels demanded by same in a world awash with surplus wine. But there still seems to be a sufficiently significant number of well-heeled buyers to keep the premium products cruising along at ridiculous prices.

Moredsir

Post by Moredsir »

The cleanskins from WoolColes will be getting cheaper?

daz

Post by daz »

Moredsir wrote:The cleanskins from WoolColes will be getting cheaper?

$2.00/btl when heavily discounted, not likely.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

A similar story today from the ABC website:
Winegrowers tipped to quit as profits dive
Posted 24 minutes ago

"The Wine Grape Council of South Australia says some growers will abandon their vineyards at the end of the season, with many failing to make a profit.

In recent years, growers in warmer areas have started picking around Australia Day but Chris Byrne from the Riverland Wine Grape Growers Association says cooler weather has delayed harvest.

"Another three weeks probably, perhaps even four weeks," he said.

Growers have had to contend with a number of issues including an outbreak of the fungal disease downey mildew."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011 ... 119710.htm

Cheers,
Ian

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

It wasn't that long ago that Riverland growers were being paid for their grapes in brandy spirit....it has never been easy being a grape grower :(

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

daz wrote:

Have you seen Get Wines Direct recently? Sorry Gavin for raising an online rival (and feel free to delete this post if you feel it necessary). My father pushes some of the so-called bargains at me from time to time (I push back). The prices are reducing in pace with the dam levels in WA, two cases for one, etc and what offends me the most is the pretence to quality. The most recent email I was forwarded offered $730 value for less than $180 - of wine that couldn't make it in the 'real' marketplace. You get what you pay for, and as a result I will continue to buy through people who have some belief and interest in their product.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Growers fear disease from abandoned vineyards
ABC News
Updated 2 hours 44 minutes ago

Hundreds of hectares of abandoned vineyards across South Australia could be harbouring disease, the Wine Grape Council of SA fears.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011 ... 129620.htm

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

Waiters Friend wrote:
daz wrote:

Have you seen Get Wines Direct recently? Sorry Gavin for raising an online rival (and feel free to delete this post if you feel it necessary). My father pushes some of the so-called bargains at me from time to time (I push back). The prices are reducing in pace with the dam levels in WA, two cases for one, etc and what offends me the most is the pretence to quality. The most recent email I was forwarded offered $730 value for less than $180 - of wine that couldn't make it in the 'real' marketplace. You get what you pay for, and as a result I will continue to buy through people who have some belief and interest in their product.

Hi Alan

I can appreciate your sentiments but am not sure about the accuracy of your comments. Sure you can buy crap through GWD but you can often get quite good wines that wineries need to flog to maintain cashflow, and the other point is that there are a lot of people out there who are quite happy buying crap whether it is through GWD or Dan Murphy's at $2 a bottle (however to be fair I have enjoyed an occasional bottle from there as well). Hell, one of the best chardys I've drunk this year was about $3 a bottle through graysonline (doing much the same thing as GWD).

In fact I think sometimes Tony keeps some of these wineries afloat through selling their surplus wine for them. Also a lot of the wine sold is from wineries that go under (not GWD's fault) and they've got to be offloaded somewhere.

As for the hype, anyone with any experience in buying wine doesn't take that too seriously surely......

cheers

Luke
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

n4sir wrote:Growers fear disease from abandoned vineyards
ABC News
Updated 2 hours 44 minutes ago

Hundreds of hectares of abandoned vineyards across South Australia could be harbouring disease, the Wine Grape Council of SA fears.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011 ... 129620.htm

Doesn't need hundreds of hectares for this risk to arise - if any vineyard isnt mothballed properly it can affect the vineyards around it. I'm jut back from a week in Central Otago and saw evidence of disease spreading from an abandoned vineyard of only about 400 vines to a well maintained, commercially productive vineyard next door to it.