Sun 30th- weekend drinkie poos

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
monghead

Sun 30th- weekend drinkie poos

Post by monghead »

Hi all, now that we are all envious of Craig's efforts for his 40th across the pond, what did we imbibe in?

Cheers.

Mike Hawkins

Re: Sun 30th- weekend drinkie poos

Post by Mike Hawkins »

2002 Nicholas Feuillatte (champagne) -Nothing wrong with it, just boring and simple

A few with Andrew Jordan in London

2002 Camille Saves (champagne) - Last glass was the best. This needs a decant. At first it was too sweet and short, but with air it became excellent - complex and long.

1994 Cyril Henschke Cabernet - excellent wine at its' apogee. Cigar box, bitter chocolate with a hint of violets, finishing with well integrated tannins

2007 Cullen Diana Madelaine - didn't care for this at all. Too sweet and syrupy - not how I like MR reds.

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Big weekend dinner/tasting in Sydney

In no particular order...

Billecart Brut Rose
2009 Pyramid Valley Lions Tooth Chardonnay
2006 Domaine d'Ardhuy Volnay 1er Fremeits
2009 Herve Souhart Saint Joseph (magnum)
2006 Jean Foillard Morgon 3.14 (magnum)
2000 Capcanes Cabrida Monsarat (magnum)
2010 Natural Selection Theory Project Runway III Hunter Semillon Egg Set
2006 Raveneau Chablis 1er Montee de Tonnerre
30 y/o Hildago Favron Oloroso
2004 Andre Jacquart Mesnil BdB
1984 Seppelt Eden Valley Maturation Release Riesling
2000 Clos Boudain Vouvray
2003 Chateau D'Yquem
2000 Robert Fleury Brut
2005 Roses de Heanne Blanc de Blancs
1987 Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia Blanco Gran Reserra
2009 Overnoy/Houllion Arbois Pupillon
2005 Cecile Tremblay Vosne-Romanee VV
1993 Armand Rousseau Clos St Jacques 1er (magnum)
1985 Noel Verset Cornas
2004 Boronia Marzuelo Reserva
1993 Leroy Pommard Les Vignot
1949 Chateau Pichon Lalande
1949 Chateau Montrose
2010 Mosswood Semillon
1997 Domaine de Baumand Savenierres
2001 Remerez de Ganuza Gran Reserva
2009 Caillard Mataro
1995 Leo Buring Leonay Eden Valley Riesling
1993 Domaine de la Pousse d'Or Volnay 1er Clos de la Pousse d'Or
1996 Pierre Moncut a la Mesnil
2004 Fleury Blanc
2004 Fleury Rose de Saignee
2002 Domaine ponsot Charmes Chambertin Cuvee de Merles

monghead

Post by monghead »

DaveB wrote:Big weekend dinner/tasting in Sydney

In no particular order...

Billecart Brut Rose
2009 Pyramid Valley Lions Tooth Chardonnay
2006 Domaine d'Ardhuy Volnay 1er Fremeits
2009 Herve Souhart Saint Joseph (magnum)
2006 Jean Foillard Morgon 3.14 (magnum)
2000 Capcanes Cabrida Monsarat (magnum)
2010 Natural Selection Theory Project Runway III Hunter Semillon Egg Set
2006 Raveneau Chablis 1er Montee de Tonnerre
30 y/o Hildago Favron Oloroso
2004 Andre Jacquart Mesnil BdB
1984 Seppelt Eden Valley Maturation Release Riesling
2000 Clos Boudain Vouvray
2003 Chateau D'Yquem
2000 Robert Fleury Brut
2005 Roses de Heanne Blanc de Blancs
1987 Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia Blanco Gran Reserra
2009 Overnoy/Houllion Arbois Pupillon
2005 Cecile Tremblay Vosne-Romanee VV
1993 Armand Rousseau Clos St Jacques 1er (magnum)
1985 Noel Verset Cornas
2004 Boronia Marzuelo Reserva
1993 Leroy Pommard Les Vignot
1949 Chateau Pichon Lalande
1949 Chateau Montrose
2010 Mosswood Semillon
1997 Domaine de Baumand Savenierres
2001 Remerez de Ganuza Gran Reserva
2009 Caillard Mataro
1995 Leo Buring Leonay Eden Valley Riesling
1993 Domaine de la Pousse d'Or Volnay 1er Clos de la Pousse d'Or
1996 Pierre Moncut a la Mesnil
2004 Fleury Blanc
2004 Fleury Rose de Saignee
2002 Domaine ponsot Charmes Chambertin Cuvee de Merles

:shock:
What was the ocassion? What was the highlight/s?

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

We had a tasting at a beach house North of Sydney at the same time last year so it was the anniversay of that event....

Highlights....the 1949 Bordeaux's were in fantastic shape and beautiful wines (a pity they don't make them like that any more though)....1993 Rousseau was awesome, likewise Seppelts Riesling, the '87 Lopez de Heredia, '93 Leroy was excellent but seemed to fall apart after about 1/2 an hour in the glass....no stinkers in the lineup at all.....and no corked wines from memory which is a nice surprise.

monghead

Post by monghead »

2009 Macforbes R16 Riesling- Floral white flowers, grapefruits dance lightly on the palate to a crisp succulent finish. Very Good.
2009 Gladstone Vineyard 12000 Miles Pinot Noir- Rose petals, bright cherries, savoury soft finish. Good Good.
2004 Dromana Estate Reserve Pinot Noir- Dark jammy cherries, pancetta, drying salty finish. Just Good.

monghead

Post by monghead »

DaveB wrote:We had a tasting at a beach house North of Sydney at the same time last year so it was the anniversay of that event....

Highlights....the 1949 Bordeaux's were in fantastic shape and beautiful wines (a pity they don't make them like that any more though)....1993 Rousseau was awesome, likewise Seppelts Riesling, the '87 Lopez de Heredia, '93 Leroy was excellent but seemed to fall apart after about 1/2 an hour in the glass....no stinkers in the lineup at all.....and no corked wines from memory which is a nice surprise.

When do you think the style of Bordeaux changed? Was it the early 80's with the "parkerisation" of the region, or even earlier? The oldest Bordeaux I have had is a '79 Las Cases, a poor vintage, but still offering quite alot to tickle the tastebuds- so very elegant. I have been enthralled though by some 82's and 86's. Perhaps I should seek out some better vintages in the 70's and 60's- the problem here though, is the lottery...

Cheers,

Monghead.

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Yeah....early to mid-eighties. Leoville-Las-Cases started using reverse osmosis in 1987 and these days it is all pretty high tech. Did the en primeur last year and a lot of the wines were more like Napa Cabernets than Bordeaux's.

Provenance is always the lottery....

monghead

Post by monghead »

Yes, the provenance lottery...... Must make another trip to France...

Hmmm, real shame that. Which chateaus do you think still produce clarets of a more traditional manner?

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Some brief impressions of the current Schild Estate releases at an instore:

2010 Schild Estate Barossa Riesling (screwcap): Still showing some sulphur after recent bottling, this hasn’t even been seen at CD yet! Pale green/straw colour, with excellent lemon/lime fruit and lashings of acidity, a touch of bacon fat on the long finish. Very impressive, and I think it should have a good future in a good cellar.

2010 Schild Estate Barossa Semillon Adelaide Hills Sauvignon Blanc (screwcap): The Semillon stands out this vintage in contrast to the previous one, it’s lemony and slippery with some slightly topical banana/pineapple in the distance; it doesn’t have the length or tightness for cellaring, but it’s a good quaff all the same.

2009 Schild Estate Alma Schild Reserve Chardonnay (screwcap): If there’s a classic definition of an “old-school” Chardonnay that some people were asking about last year, this would have to be close, full of sweet French vanilla/cinnamon donut characters and buttery, peachy/stonefruit. The structure and length can’t be faulted, but it’s best to drink this one on the early side to enjoy its flamboyance, say within the next 2-3 years.

2009 Schild Estate Barossa Cabernet Sauvignon (screwcap): It smells and tastes like cabernet, the nose full of Ribena/sweet blackcurrants, ashtray and a little menthol and forest floor, while the palate’s jubey and juicy; the drawbacks are it’s medium-weight at most, a little short, and quite hot and peppery on the finish (14.5% alc).

2010 Schild Estate Barossa GMS (screwcap)
: Remarkably consistent from vintage to vintage, with crushed red berries and a hint of apricot backed by smoky/spicy oak; the palate’s medium-weight, juicy and meaty, a level above your average quaffer.

2008 Schild Estate Barossa Shiraz (screwcap)*: Back to the form of the 2004 vintage that really launched this label, medium weight, blackberry/cherry fruit with chocolaty/smoky/meaty complexity, fresher and weightier than the previous two wines without the alcohol warmth. Better than the following wine selling for over twice the price too I might add…
* Following a discussion of there being multiple blends of this wine, it's now probably worth mentioning that the lock code of this bottle was L0347, indicating it was bottled late 2010. The full gory details are here: http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/44637

2006 Schild Estate Ben Schild Reserve Shiraz (screwcap): Following the disturbingly quick decline of the 2005 vintage over the last four or so years, this was again way too advanced for my liking. It’s stocky with no more weight or length than the Estate label, the heavy vanillin/nougat oak sticking out instead of the sweet fruit that should be there; disappointing again.

2006 Schild Estate Moorooroo Shiraz (screwcap): A huge step up on the Ben Schild wine, and I can’t put enough emphasis on the word huge; it opens with a wallop of liquorice and simmering beef stock, before smoothly changing into sweet plums/raspberries and sweet cedar/herbal characters. The palate’s medium to full weight with grippy, chalky tannins giving backbone through to the very long finish; looking a lot better than last year, but I get the feeling it’s at its best now and for the next five years (maybe ten at a stretch), and $100 is a lot to pay for a ten-year prospect.

I also had this a little later on...

2009 Henschke Peggy’s Hill Riesling, Eden Valley (screwcap): Very pale green/straw. After two glorious years those initial blossoms are disappearing, leaving a tight, lemony and pithy wine with an austere elegance, as it settles in for the long haul. I wouldn't touch this again for at least another 5-7 years.

Cheers,
Ian
Last edited by n4sir on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

2009 Petaluma Hanlin Hill Riesling….wax, lime, minerals, dry chalky finish…awesome value at $19, superb wine, I only wish I could keep my hands off them as they’re sure to age beautifully. A real doosie for Riesling lovers.

2009 Sorrenberg Chardy, I’m a big fan generally, however felt the acid was poking out a touch in this bottle. Would prefer the 08 given the choice.

Cheers
Michael

Tucker Wine Studios

Post by Tucker Wine Studios »

Cape Mentelle Wallcliffe Sauvignon Blanc Semillon 2007: lots of tropical fruit on the nose, however on the palate bone dry. Assertive nettle and then gooseberry aromas, also some flint and gunpowder (fume style). Loved it. Very very good. My favourite at my last year’s (Jan) CD visit.

Kanta Adelaide Hills Riesling 2006: Excellent and very intensive citrus fruits profile, very fruit driven, not so much minerally, bracing and invigorating acidity, starting to show some appealing secondary kerosene aromas. Totally thrilled by this excellent wine. What a great positive surprise after a disappointing 2005 bottle I had some time ago.

Yalumba Y Series Viognier 2008 & Yalumba Virgilius Viognier 2008: strange, but I enjoyed more the Y Viognier. The Virgilius was…hmmm…hard to describe…somehow funky, strange, over the top, idiosyncratic???? Maybe a dud bottle?

TarraWarra Estate Marsanne Rousanne Viognier 2009: bought at their CD, actually I liked the wine quite a lot. Not ground shaking…but somehow…good. Good Good.

Upper Reach Reserve Chardonnay 2006: Full bodied and quite rich, already a little bit developed, enjoyed it very much. Very Good.

Neudorf Moutere Chardonnay 2008: Balance balance balance. Everything you want from a good Chardonnay is here in the right place. A very classy wine. Expect no funkyness. Excellent.

Grosset Pinot Noir 2007: Loved it (and bought it) when I tasted it in 2008 at their CD. The wine got only bad critics…pfffft…what do other people know…great wine in great shape. Very Very Good.

De Bortoli Estate Grown Yarra Valley Pinot Noir 2006: Tastes quite ripe, yummy, aromatic. Absolutely delicious. Very Very Good.

PHI Lusatia Park Vineyard Yarra Valley Pinot Noir 2006: Not bad but a little bit shy. Didn’t really start to bloom…sadly.

Ata Rangi Pinot Noir 2006: Also a little bit shy and reserved but still very enjoyable to drink. Probably should have decanted it to allow expressing itself a bit more.

Kooyong Ferrous Pinot Noir 2004: Brilliant, gorgeous, crunchy-munchy, has the wow factor! Dense and ripe, mouth filling, aristocratic, classy. One of the best Pinots I had so far.

Cheers,
Mario

monghead

Post by monghead »

Tucker Wine Studios wrote:Grosset Pinot Noir 2007: Loved it (and bought it) when I tasted it in 2008 at their CD. The wine got only bad critics…pfffft…what do other people know…great wine in great shape. Very Very Good.

Good one mate.

rwatkins

Grosset Pinot Noir 06 or 07?

Post by rwatkins »

Hi all, Glad to see the note on the 07. The 2006 Pinot is one of the finest I have ever had from Aussie. Has anyone tried the 06 and 07 side by side and if so which should I buy a few of? The wine store I work in has both vintages. Thanks - Rick
Red Wine is the Blood of Life

Tucker Wine Studios

Post by Tucker Wine Studios »

monghead wrote:
Tucker Wine Studios wrote:Grosset Pinot Noir 2007: Loved it (and bought it) when I tasted it in 2008 at their CD. The wine got only bad critics…pfffft…what do other people know…great wine in great shape. Very Very Good.

Good one mate.

Well, I may have been a little bit cocky here...and actually I really do respect the expertise and opinion of our highly esteemed wine critics like JH, JO, CM, GW, etc, and I also highly appreciate the great contributions of so many forum members here.

What I wanted to say is that I really enjoyed the style of the Grosset 2007 PN despite its unfavourable reviews and if it happens that you are accidentally in the possession of this wine you really don’t need to pour it down the sink. There is still the chance that you may enjoy it as much as I did :D .

However, I must say that I haven’t tried other vintages of Grosset’s PN so can’t compare.

Happy Drinking,
Mario

xsorxpire

Post by xsorxpire »

2000 Taylors Cab. Left it too long. Most of the fruit was gone, the tannins still there. Bugger. Should have kept my eye on how the vintage had aged and drank it two years ago (at least).

Going through all my 2000 wines now to see if i have any other rubbish i have to give away as presents, er drink soon....

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

A few from a Saturday dinner party:

First 3 rieslings, all 2004 vintage, all screwcap:

Pewsey Vale: still pale-ish colour, holding acidity well along with lemon and floral characters. Delightful now, may get better with a couple more years
Plantagenet: similar colour to PV, similar acidity but somewhat different flavour profile, equally delicious and the tasters had dificulty in splitting the two
Skillogalee: darker yellow, still hanging in there, but a drink now. Candied lime and a slight oiliness

Then 2 pinots:

Marchand & Burch Barrow Road (?) Mount Barker 2009. Tasted twice now, and although a decent and possibly textbook young pinot, didn't wow me as much as ....
Pipers Brook Lyre 2003: WOTN for me. Holding the age with power and a velvet touch, ticked all the boxes and I wish we had a few more of these. Excellent Tassie pinot.

Now, what came next? :lol:

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Waiters Friend wrote:Now, what came next? :lol:

Cheers

Allan

A hangover? :D
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis