Barolo

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Chad

Barolo

Post by Chad »

Hi all

Last year I had the wonderful pleasure of sharing a bottle of 2007 Vietti Dolcetto D'Alba Tre Vigne. I was so impressed with this wine that it has motivated me to explore Italian wines more thoroughly, in particular Piedmont. What initially inspired me to buy the Vietti was a nice article in Gourmet Traveller Wine on Vietti & Luca Currado. I am now considering buying the Vietti Barolo Castiglione & also the Vietti Langhe Nebbiolo Perbacco as my next installment. Can anyone provide their opinion or experience with these wines or others from Vietti in addition to another couple of producers- Michele Chiarlo, San Fabiano or Col d'Orcia. I guess I am particularly interested in the Barolo from Michele Chiarlo and the Brunello di Montalcino from Col d'Orcia which I realise is not from Piedmont.

I really would appreciate your opinion as I am not confident with Italian wines but endeavour to become more widely versed. I realise someone has already started a thread this year on what wines we would like to explore in 2010, but I thought I would start a more specific one.

Cheers
Chad

Wizz

Re: Barolo

Post by Wizz »

We had a bottle of the 05 Vietti Barolo Castiglione on Boxing Day. WIne of the day for me, gorgeous perfume, beatiful fruit, and the tannins weren't old school overpwering (but htye were still Nebbiolo). Lovely wine.

Red

Post by Red »

With 2004 and 2005 Barolo's about, you can be pretty confident on vintage with 04 being a superb vintage and and 05 a very good vintage. I tried probably 20-25 Barolos from the 05 vintage while on holiday there in May. Literally didn't have an average Barolo the whole time I was there and they all ranged from very good to outstanding. Of those that I tried that I'm aware make it to our fine shores look out for

Damilano, Sandrone, Sottimano (Barbaresco)

The key question, as much as anything, is your budget. While they are not overly expensive over there (plenty of Barolo can be bought for between 20-30 Euro), by the time they get here there are very few bottles under $100. So as much as I'd love to be buying loads of 04 and 04 Barolo, I find myself willing on an Oz Lotto victory so as to facilitate such purchases!

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Just now getting early offers for

2006 vintage Barolos.

An excellent to outstanding vintage apparently. Those with more experience than me please comment here, but it appears to have been a very very strong vintage?

Just to further confuse things!!

regards

Gavin Trott

Red

Post by Red »

winemakers were talking up 2006 as a pretty good, though slightly tricky year for Barolo. As a rough guide the 2006 Barbarescos have been pretty well reviewed.

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

A bit of info on Barolo and vintages here

http://eutopia.com.au/the-changing-face ... #more-1412

Cheers

Dave

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

And you must try Barolo Chinotto :wink:

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

I buy a lot of Barolo but will probably skip 06 unless the price is good. Some producers have declassified the vintage and others have said it is great. There is still plenty of great barolo about from top vintages due the GFC- consider backfilling!
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Chad

Post by Chad »

Thanks for all the input. I'm still madly reading up on the wines that you have all suggested. I think at this stage I am going to continue with my Vietti exploration. Next up will be the Vietti Langhe Nebbiolo Perbacco followed up by some Michele Chiarlo wines including the La Court Barbera, Cannubi Barolo & Cerequio Barolo. Will let you know how I go along the way. By the way the link provided by Red on the Barolo wines was very informative, thank you.

Chad

Florny

Post by Florny »

Hi There,

i have been reading up on Michele Charlo and i tried the 'Nivole' Moscato d'Asti at a restaurant last week and i would love to get my hands on this Moscato but i am having trouble locating it. would anyone be able to put me in the right direction?

thank you

rens

Post by rens »

never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

PaulV

Post by PaulV »

Chad wrote:Thanks for all the input. I'm still madly reading up on the wines that you have all suggested. I think at this stage I am going to continue with my Vietti exploration. Next up will be the Vietti Langhe Nebbiolo Perbacco followed up by some Michele Chiarlo wines including the La Court Barbera, Cannubi Barolo & Cerequio Barolo. Will let you know how I go along the way. By the way the link provided by Red on the Barolo wines was very informative, thank you.

Chad

Have had the Vietti Langhe Nebbiolo Perbacco a couple of times and always impressed - might not be the cheapest neb but it is quintessential nebbiolo thoughh of course in an earlier drinking style - it is very sexy - lovely perfumed nose lovely freshness on the palate with great balance.

never been impressed with Michele Chiarlo - a bit safe and commercial.

cheers

paul

burgster

Post by burgster »

I agree with Paul. Never been a big Michele Chiarlo fan myself.

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Try some Barolo Chinoto....that sorts out the men from the boys