1989 Grange drinking well, nice surprise

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
morph_associates

1989 Grange drinking well, nice surprise

Post by morph_associates »

A huge wine, had a taste after a great client offered me some at the restaurant tonight.
Beautiful colour, sound cork, no 'bottle surgery' from Penfolds (wine clinic top-ups), great nose, enormous aromaticity, didn't require decanting to open up (merely to remove the tiny bit of sediment) and the length of the palate was great.

Highly strung wine with great food matching capabilities. Not worth hanging onto forever, nice now.
---------------
As if wine were my Bible, read on.

Mike Hawkins

Re: 1989 Grange drinking well, nice surprise

Post by Mike Hawkins »

I agree - a good wine from a much maligned vintage.

ross67

Post by ross67 »

I was down in Sydney last week and Wine Oddysey in The Rocks had this vintage for $28 tasting and $75 for a glass & $600 odd i think a bottle. I was tempted at the time........

monghead

Post by monghead »

I think this is the strength of Grange. Even in poor vintages, it is able to produce a reasonable wine with the ability to age. For this reason, I have no qualms about its pricing. I can remember a '77 Grange I had a few years ago- a very reasonable wine considering the appalling vintage, and its age...

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

This was the last vintage of Grange I ever bought. From memory I paid about $90/bottle for two six packs. As you all know the price climbed astronomically after the 1990 hit the market. I must say I enjoyed the bottles I had.
Mike.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

I think this is the strength of Grange. Even in poor vintages, it is able to produce a reasonable wine with the ability to age. For this reason, I have no qualms about its pricing. I can remember a '77 Grange I had a few years ago- a very reasonable wine considering the appalling vintage, and its age...

put that to the test this coming weekend. 92 grange next to 92 hill of grace :)