Last wine of the year?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Luke W

Last wine of the year?

Post by Luke W »

With my wife stuck down south because of the floods, I'm forced to console myself with a good wine to finish the year off:

2009 Felton Rd Calvert Pinot - everything a young Central Otago pinot should be (except cheap which is what i'd prefer them to be!).

What about you guys and gals?

Have a great New Year

Luke
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

cuttlefish

Re: Last wine of the year?

Post by cuttlefish »

Finished with Roederer NV at midnight. Leroy Duval (NV?) earlier in the evening and a new Frenchie we translated as "Chained to the Toilet" which was 100% Pinot meunier. So much fizzy stuff I feel awfully bloated. A massive chunk of my birthday cake didn't help, either...

Happy New Year everyone!
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

morph_associates

Post by morph_associates »

1996 Pol Roger Winston Churchill... it was ok... but not great... so we cracked some NV Billecart-Salmon Brut Rose.... mmmmm. Happy new year y'all.
---------------
As if wine were my Bible, read on.

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Ployez Jacquemart Selection Brut was the last. OK, other NV's I prefer though. Unless you count a bottle of Jip Jip Rocks Shiraz Cabernet that made up a Jelly...Jip Jip Jelly.

griff

Post by griff »

1998 La Grande Dame: Too young but what the hell.
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

AndrewCowley

Post by AndrewCowley »

2006 Paringa Estate Reserve Shiraz: Nothing special.

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Dratted in-laws here, sober, boring, dull, uninterested in life, disapproving of anything involving fun, and did I mention sober? 3 beers (2 in secret), cheap Thai dinner, and bed at 10.30 on NYEve.... :roll: :cry:

Did have some Mac Forbes Pinot Noir 08 on Xmas Day, quite good indeed, and some Pol Roger NV, always decent, but past 5 days have been a drought.

Ah well, two more days, and I can let loose on the champers and rizza. :D

Cheers
TiggerK

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

It's still New Year's eve in Edmonton. No drinking tonight as it's a night out with my mother, first at the movies (The King's Speech), then a late dinner in Chinatown (Salt & Pepper Crab) followed by the fireworks in the downtown square. Home by 12:30 and when Mum goes to bed my partner and I are planning to open a simple but tasty and elegant Pinot Noir ('09 Undurraga 'Sibarus' Reserva Especial Pinot Noir, Maipo Valley, Chile).

Happy New Year everybody.................Mahmoud.

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Coldstream Reserve Shiraz very enjoyable

Rick Morcom

Post by Rick Morcom »

2004 Dutschke St Jakobi - bloody excellent.

Thommo

Post by Thommo »

2005 Sugarloaf Ridge Pinot Noir - interesting wine with good mix of sweet and savoury pinot character and nice length, but was starting to go a bit porty after an hour or so.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Joseph Sparkling Red (July 2010 disgorge) - absolutely fabulous with simple barbequed rump. In the top 3 or 4 sparkling reds I've tried. Complexity, depth and power all in a bubbly velvet glove. Excellent way to see out 2010.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

monghead

Post by monghead »

Egly-Ouriet Grand Cru Brut Tradition NV

But preceding this, 7 of us may have had just a little too much of the good stuff...

2007 Schloss Lieser Kabinett
2002 Dom Perignon
2006 Frankland Estate Isolation Ridge Riesling
2007 Granite Hills Riesling
2008 Jean Foillard Morgon Coet du Py
2003 Leroy Clos de la Roche
2008 Craggy Range Te Muna Road Pinot Noir
1991 Wynns Centenary
2001 Cullen Cabernet Sauvignon
2004 Three Hills GSM

Happy NY

Monghead

Muscat Mike

Corked Wynns Black Lable.

Post by Muscat Mike »

Actually 2nd. last because it was corked. That is now two in a row for '96 Wynns Black Lable. This one did not stink like the previous one and the cork itself seemed OK, BUT, there was a slightly unpleasant odour when swirling the glass and virtually no fruit to taste at all. Very disappointing. I still have a few and I am getting worried that the others are also corked.
I was at my B.I.L's. house and he pulled out a nice Seppelts Sparkling Shiraz which was very enjoyable.
Happy New Year all.
Mike.

JDSJDS

Post by JDSJDS »

I had a 1995 Leasingham Classic Clare Sparkling Shiraz on NYE, and was very impressed. It was really drinking well now, but can last as well, if you are lucky enough to have some. A classic sparkling shiraz in my books, nicely dry, great complexity, balance, elegance and power (A-). Brought it back from the winery in 2005, and very glad I did.

malliemcg

Post by malliemcg »

2010 Kays Amery Moscato was the last wine of 2010, was not the best example of moscato, but its grapes were picked on an auspicious day (my bday) and I do love Kays.

Chrissie consisted of:
NV Trevor Jones Sparkling Shiraz
2008 Tatachilla Shiraz
1981 Kellermiester Vintage Port

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Rockford BP Shiraz 2002- porty, rich... Lacking any resemblance to elegance
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

crusty2

Post by crusty2 »

2004 William Fevre Vaudesir GC. Lovely creamy Chablis just starting to drink well. Hints of caramel and cashews with a nice acid cut to lead you to want more. Had a bottle 2 weeks prior and that suffered RO and these doubts had me preclude the wine from a recent offline. I am now sorry I did not take this bottle, damn corks.
cheers
phill
Drink the wine, not the label.

daz

Post by daz »

Well, it wasn't the last wine of the year but it was the last notable wine I had nearing the end of 2010. Turkey Flat Shiraz 2000 from the last vintage of the previous millenium was a very Barossan shiraz that even though it showed nice aged characters, good fruit integrated with the oak, was perhaps a bit simple. But I could still taste it the next day, fwiw. Nice wine really, perhaps somewhat deceptive, particularly considering the mostly dismissive opinions of the vintage. But then the few bottles of TF cab 2003 from an equally dismissed vintage that I've had were probably better.

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

Last wine of 2010 was a 2009 Clonakilla Shiraz Viognier. Yum. But will be saving the remaining five for a few years at least.
First of 2011 was an NV Gosset Grand Reserve. Very pleasant, though palate no longer at its best by that stage.
3, 65, 7, 50

9redpens

Post by 9redpens »

1993 Sally's Paddock. From memory a very nice wine drinking well. Consumed post champers NY.
This was better then the 1990 I had a few weeks back however I had a 90 a year or so ago that I thought was stunning.

daz

Post by daz »

Not the last wine of the year but the last wine of note shared with friends 28 Dec 2010, Turkey Flat Shiraz 2000. Aged characters are starting to develop, very Barossan sweetish fruit profile, black cherry and plum tempered by some salami character. Oak is very well integrated, noticeable but provides an excellent structure for the fruit. Very good length on the finish, one of those wines that reminds you the next day that you drank it the evening before. Excellent wine.

daz

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Diebolt Vallois Prestige (Champagne) - good juice.

Stavros

Post by Stavros »

Bay Of Fires Pinot Noir Chardonnay ( for the Missus)

Majella 2005 Sparkling Shiraz (for me)...yum....

S

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Had dinner at a local favourite restaurant. My friend said she'd bring the champagne. I asked her what she was bringing as she's noted for calling sparkling wine champagne and she said she'd bring a Veuve. Good-o I thought. She turns up to my place empty handed and says she's going to drop into the bottlo on the way to the restaurant. Fine. So we head off and she takes the detour to the bottle shop and we meet at the restaurant. She turns up with two bottles of Piper Heidseick instead. "The veuve was $80 and these were 2 for $80". Can't really argue with that logic. Anyhoo, we had a bottle of the Piper and is was pretty good. We gave the other bottle to the staff as we were leaving so they could celebrate despite working on the night.

After the champers we had a bottle of 06 Kumeu River Villages chardonnay. Loved it. Nice match stick finish. Haven't tried the Mates I bought at the same time but this makes me think it's going to be sensational.

And the last bottle of the year was a 97 Rockford Basket Press Shiraz. I quite enjoy the lesser year basket presses as they drink a bit earlier than the better years. This had lovely blackcurrent and licorice and even a bit of Nyal Decongestant (which I used to skull as a child), finishing long and rich.

Happy new year all. Nice to see everyone finished the year with some very fine wines.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

bacchaebabe wrote:This had lovely blackcurrent and licorice and even a bit of Nyal Decongestant (which I used to skull as a child)

This explains a lot Kris :D .

Cheers

Michael

PS thanks for the posted tip on the Seppelts Silverband - I had it at the family Xmas and it went over a treat. Great stuff for under $30.
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Bick

Post by Bick »

Wayno wrote:Rockford BP Shiraz 2002- porty, rich... Lacking any resemblance to elegance

Is this going to come to anything you think Wayno? I'm sure I have a btl left.
[Crossed_Fingers] Maybe in another 10 years it might be interesting? [/Crossed_Fingers]
Cheers,
Mike

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

It's a very good wine, Bick - don't get me wrong - just big, rich and a little bit stupid. I'm sure it'll go awhile yet as well.
It just felt a bit simple against the more nuanced Cabs on the night.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

fatdoi

Post by fatdoi »

did a comparison between 04 Ch. Montrose & 03 Moss Wood CS..... everyone's glued to the Moss Wood, very nice bottle of wine
Relax.... In the end it's only grape juice with a twist