TN: Moss Wood Cabernet Sauvignon (Special Reserve) 1983

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
dlo

TN: Moss Wood Cabernet Sauvignon (Special Reserve) 1983

Post by dlo »

A recent auction purchase, this outstanding Cabernet revealed a rusty brown meniscus gradating to a deep ruby core. The nose fluctuated like a flukey sea breeze, but delivered, at various stages, very sound aged notes of dusty blackcurrants, capsicum, old books, a mix of sandalwood and cedar, sweet earth, mixed dried herbs and a top note of spice box. The palate even more impressive offering fresher flavours of plum, blackcurrant, autumn leaves, some cigar box and minerals. There's a healthy dose of savoury oak adding weight on the palate and lovely bright acids caress the tip of the tongue. The tannin regime is fully mature with only a skerrick of grip remaining with the finish suitably impressive revealing astute length and, remarkably, a degree of freshness. My initial score of 91 now seems somewhat stingey ..... I'll give it 93 - it's improving all the time as it sits in the glass and went incredibly well with home-made spaghetti bolognase earlier this evening. Great job, Keith Mugford - this is a ripper Margaret River red!
Cheers,

David

griff

Re: TN: Moss Wood Cabernet Sauvignon (Special Reserve) 1983

Post by griff »

Thanks for the note David. Do you know when Pannell left Mosswood?

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Thanks for the tasting note, I particularly liked the reference to "old books".

Cheers...............Mahmoud.

dlo

Post by dlo »

griff wrote:Thanks for the note David. Do you know when Pannell left Mosswood?

cheers

Carl

Early eighties I think. Keith's first vintage was 1983 IIRC. Good to hear from you again, Carl.
Cheers,

David

griff

Post by griff »

dlo wrote:
griff wrote:Thanks for the note David. Do you know when Pannell left Mosswood?

cheers

Carl

Early eighties I think. Keith's first vintage was 1983 IIRC. Good to hear from you again, Carl.

On the other side of the world now but still around ;)

Sounds like an excellent first effort then!

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

I believe Bill started Picardy in early nineties and wasn’t too long after leaving Mosswood (as mentioned I think mid 80’s). Keith was his winemaker for a while and bought it off him at the end.

I opened a 1991 Reserve recently for my boy’s birthday and it had the very best nose of any wine I have ever had the pleasure in opening. It was great but way way too young. I obviously suspected it was going to be but couldn’t help myself.

Sam