Best sub $20 pinot..?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Rawshack

Best sub $20 pinot..?

Post by Rawshack »

I have to source a fair bit of pinot for xmas day (Duck is on the menu...) and my budget is going to stretch to around $20 a bottle

Any suggestions?

My other option is a Gamay (Pfieffer perhaps), which would do a similar job with matchin the duck.
The Dog of Wine

Michael R

Re: Best sub $20 pinot..?

Post by Michael R »

Hi Rawshack

The best sub $20 Pinot I’ve had are both Tasmanian:
Josef Chromy Pepik & South Pinot (made by Pirie Estate). Both are light and v drinkable, and around $15 is you use google/check the major chains.

Sticks make a popular one too, but I couldn’t recommend it, particularly in warm weather as it’s a lot heavier with more tannin.

Cheers
Michael

ufo

Post by ufo »

I would recommend below one. It is available at discountwines.com for $ 18.50.
2006 is drinking beautifully at the moment with all Pinot characteristics and 2009 supposed to be similar to 2006.

CUTTAWAY HILLS 2009 Pinot Noir SOUTHERN HIGHLANDS NSW

Bick

Post by Bick »

Personally, I've never had a decent pinot under $30, let alone $20. If you find one you rate at that price point, let me know!
As it 'appens, I'm having duck for xmas too. Wasn't sure on the wine match for me... but was thinking of going against the grain and having something other than pinot. I reckon a nice chianti could match well...
Cheers,
Mike

ufo

Post by ufo »

Bick wrote:Personally, I've never had a decent pinot under $30, let alone $20. If you find one you rate at that price point, let me know!
As it 'appens, I'm having duck for xmas too. Wasn't sure on the wine match for me... but was thinking of going against the grain and having something other than pinot. I reckon a nice chianti could match well...

You are too pesssimistic Mike. Give Cuttaway a go, you will be suprised. By the way I've got no relation with them, just a satisfied customer. Also I would like to include Coldstream Hills Pinot to the list if you increase the price to $ 30. I think it is the best Pinot in AU below $ 30. I stocked 2002 and 2003 on a very good deal for $ 16.99 (retails for $ 28 - 30), they are just a delight to drink now.

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Perhaps something from Whisson Lake?

via collins

Post by via collins »

In Oz, Hoddles Creek, Yarra Valley (so no 09, 08 is a beauty) and Stonier, Mornington Peninsula (09 out and about now) are incredibly good wines at the price.
In NZ, the Palliser Estate 2nd tier is insanely cheap, and lovely drop.

calm

Post by calm »

I think the De Bortoli Windy Peak is a fairly good easy drinking Pinot and can be bought for $10-$12.
The De Bortoli Gulf Station is about $16 and has some fans as well. Halliday had it at about 94-95 pts.
Craig S

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Another vote for the DB Gulf Station. Great bbq/pizza drop.

Rawshack

Post by Rawshack »

Bick wrote:Personally, I've never had a decent pinot under $30, let alone $20. If you find one you rate at that price point, let me know!

Hmm, going to have to start calling you Miles

I had a lovely pinot from the yarra for 18.50 the other night - a little rustic, but burgundian with nice balance and simple varietal character. Name escapes me, will have to remember. EDIT - Wonga Estate. Not super clean, and a little bit short, but a wine with character.

Also a big fan of the Paringa Estate Entry level pinot - around $25, which is delicious

However, I would agree that Pinot is generally a rich persons game... and I am a pauper :cry:
The Dog of Wine

milky

Post by milky »

The 1st 2 sub-$20 pinot that came to mind are those suggested by calm - De Bortoli Windy Peak & Gulf Station - quaffable & very good pricing. The Gulf Station is worth a try, while the Windy Peak is more cherry/strawberry juice + alcohol... :P

Another choice could be Mike Press 09 Pinot Noir... I personally like his VFM offerings - missing it now, being overseas... :(
Gosh... all this talk is making me thirsty!

Dave Dewhurst

Post by Dave Dewhurst »

I recently found a bunch of older Picardy pinots (their entry level) from 1996 to 1999 at auction. I am not a big fan of Picardy pinot young but thought I would have a punt as these were cheap as (sub $15) and I hadn't tried an older one. The 1996 I had recently was stunning, better in fact than a 1999 Faiveley Premier Cru the night before (which was pretty darn good in itself!). Obviously not an ideal suggestion for the coming festivities but maybe worth a look for the future??

Cheers

Dave

monghead

Post by monghead »

1. Hoddles Creek
2. Hoddles Creek
3. Hoddles Creek

Nothing else comes even an order of magnitude close.

griff

Post by griff »

monghead wrote:1. Hoddles Creek
2. Hoddles Creek
3. Hoddles Creek

Nothing else comes even an order of magnitude close.

What he said :D

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

In addition to overwhelming support for both Josef Chromy Pepik and Hoddles Creek, I would add Bellarmine (Pemberton) to the mix. $18 from the winery, and frequently cheaper on special.

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Curly Flat's second label "Williams Crossing", is about $21? I think... and it's my house pinot of choice. Seems to be spot-on in practically all vintages.
Another vote for Hoddles, although I'm increasingly of the opinion that their Chardonnay is their real gem.
R Wines Permutations Pinot (not sure if it's made/available anymore) is also around $20 and is a very good wine for the price.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Rawshack

Post by Rawshack »

Wayno wrote:Curly Flat's second label "Williams Crossing", is about $21? I think... and it's my house pinot of choice. Seems to be spot-on in practically all vintages.
Another vote for Hoddles, although I'm increasingly of the opinion that their Chardonnay is their real gem.
R Wines Permutations Pinot (not sure if it's made/available anymore) is also around $20 and is a very good wine for the price.

The WC Pinot - and Chardonnay - is very good, but prices for both seem to have risen recently... I'll have a look
The Dog of Wine

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

griff

Post by griff »

Wayno wrote:Curly Flat's second label "Williams Crossing", is about $21? I think... and it's my house pinot of choice. Seems to be spot-on in practically all vintages.

I agree that the Chardonnay is even better as well :) The 2003 is one of my all-time fave Aussie Chardonnays

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Rawshack

Post by Rawshack »

thanks again everyone for replying to this thread

I ended up stumping for the JC Pepik - it is a lighter style of pinot, but it's food friendly, well balanced with good varietal fruit characters and will be great if the mercury hits 30c as planned in Central Victoria

Cheers and happy drinking over christmas

Rawshack AKA Alistair
The Dog of Wine

daz

Post by daz »

Rawshack wrote:thanks again everyone for replying to this thread

I ended up stumping for the JC Pepik - it is a lighter style of pinot, but it's food friendly, well balanced with good varietal fruit characters and will be great if the mercury hits 30c as planned in Central Victoria

Cheers and happy drinking over christmas

Rawshack AKA Alistair

Well, whoever or whatever is planning the weather really needs a fuckload of training in customer service!!

Up here, a monsoonal trough dumping shitloads of rain, 30C and 98% humidity is more conducive to the consumption of chilled off-dry riesling than pinot. It looks like I'll get sodden riding the old Zizzer to Charters Towers tomorrow. But hey, ya get wet havin" a shower, ya dry off afterward.

Thommo

Post by Thommo »

I got caught out in the deluge on the trumpy earlier in the week, heading out to pick up what I think was the last 2006 Steven's Semillon in Brisbane. Worth it though :D

daz

Post by daz »

Got a bit wet on the way there, it was sprinkling when I left yesterday morning, for a few hundred metres but was dry the rest of the way and has been since. Praise be!