Perth Offline November

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

Perth Offline November

Post by Waiters Friend »

Having put my mouth where my mouth is, and following up from the persistent efforts of Dazza1968,... well... here we go:

My proposed Perth offline November 2010.

Location: Da Bruno in Inglewood (IMHO, the greatest mediterranean BYO in Perth). I'm happy to talk with Bruno and arrange this to be an event to remember.

Cost: Likely $100 per head depending on how many 'in between' courses might be ordered. I'm working on a 3 course meal with one in between' or meze'. That should also include corkage (which is reasonable / negligible here and I'm sure is negotiable for such an event, especially if it is a Monday or Tuesday when they might not normally be open)

Theme: I suppose we need one, or at least some guiding form. Given the cuisine (if we go with Da Bruno), then a white burgundy theme (including top Aussie chardonnay) will go with entree. Depending on the main courses chosen, anything from a decent riesling (with prawns) to pinot (duck) or cabernet based reds will go with main courses.

Sauternes / dessert wines will definitely be required, as Bruno's desserts are worth the investment. Well, there goes the theme.....

Does this appeal to anyone?

BTW, if you need some form, I had my last birthday here, and we brought 20 bottles (for 8 people). The staff were more than helpful with the wine service, and also allowed me to take over or direct where necessary. All good....very good. Also we took 3 bottles home....poor form :o And left a few half-emptied bottles with the staff for their dinner... good form :D

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Tucker Wine Studios

Re: Perth Offline November

Post by Tucker Wine Studios »

All right, last time when Dazza's attempt failed to get a Perth offline together I put my hand up and admitted we should show more enthusiam. So here I declare my interest to join you guys for an offline as a newby. I am a little bit scared of the 100 bucks prospect but that should not let it fail.

Hello Perth.....anybody out there?

Cheers,
Mario

xsorxpire

Post by xsorxpire »

I'm away for the last half of Novenber and will require two weeks notice to guarantee the night off work.

If you have a date in mind that fits this I would love to attend.

I have a Rickety Gate pinot, (not very old, but still a good pinot).
A 1996 St Hugo Cab if you would like it, a 1999 Conobolis Smith Cabernet.
I may still have a Rutherglen Tokay.

I'm still a bit of a wine noob, so i hope this would suffice.

Freo Rachel

Post by Freo Rachel »

I would be interested, although it is a trek and the calendar is quickly filling up coming into the festive season! Confirm a date and if I can make it then it was meant to be. Being a wine apprentice, I have no idea what to bring but would scout about the small collection for something appropriate,, I dont have alot with age on them.

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

100 per head is alot what would be incuded for this , maybe the freo crowd can Car pool

I am keen But never expected dollar wise for food , plus taxis etc

Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

Given the somewhat uncertain response here, and the total absence of responses on the other forum, I think I will give these plans a miss. It's obviously not for everyone.

If someone wants to arrange an alternative offline, then go for it. Theme. location. price, etc all up for grabs.

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

Waiters Friend wrote:G'day

Given the somewhat uncertain response here, and the total absence of responses on the other forum, I think I will give these plans a miss. It's obviously not for everyone.

If someone wants to arrange an alternative offline, then go for it. Theme. location. price, etc all up for grabs.

Cheers

Allan
Allan my wife and I will be in but what I wanted to know was what is included for the money and that's it , I amsure others are keen as well , nearly all
our offlines have been about half this figure $ wise , maybe post up their website details or something to take a look at the food list , there is also some other people I can invite from a Friday night wine club which will add numbers , let's put it together and have some fun. Regards dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

xsorxpire

Post by xsorxpire »

I had a chat with my wonderful mother.
She is a butchers daughter, my father was a chef (rip) who once cooked for the queen.
Between them they have done so many dinners, functions and sunday roasts that they can cook most things.

If you guys are up for a small personal dinner and chat type deal she said she would do a dinner for (up to) ten people.

We have dinners on a regular basis. Not always food matched, but always wine appropriate for the crowd.

If you would like to do a dinner where the focus is on converstaion rather than price, with your help, we will match food to the wine you would like to bring and make a somewhat informal dinner.
She has a chosen charity that you would all be asked to make a donation to, but the rest would be at cost price.

From spatchcock to Goat, crusted salmon to spit roast lamb. We have wonderful Sunday dinners.

For us, we would be looking at January.

Too much going on in December.

I think there is enough interest in this thread for the dinner and i would hope that Griff will be back. I know him from another forum and would like him there too.

She is in Balajura, but i have a friend that lives between Freo and us that would probably share a cab.

Would this be of interest to you all?

Tucker Wine Studios

Hi all,

Vivisen, Da Bruno, or xsorxpire's (tongue twister) dinner...sounds all fine with me, given the fact that a Perth offline might be a once in a life time experience :roll: .
I also would be in favour for a January offline, but mid-late November or early December could still be possible for me.

Dazza, you need to tell us something about your wine club at some stage...unfortunately Friday evenings can be a little bit tricky for me.

Would really love to know a little bit more about tasting events or other wine-related activities in Perth, e.g. in wine shops, wineries, or other institutions. I know of the Coonawarra Roadshow (was there last year and many times before in Adelaide) but there must be some more, or maybe not?!

Cheers,
Mario

xsorxpire

Post by xsorxpire »

Tucker Wine Studios wrote: xsorxpire's (tongue twister)
Cheers,
Mario

Excess or Expire.
XS or Xpire.
XSorXpire.

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

monday the 17th January or tues 18th ,And to be honest with you i dont care where we go or the theme .

all input is great .

REgards Dazza

Freo Rachel

Post by Freo Rachel »

The new year a better idea, and will try to make any location. Can discuss cab share etc if not south of river. Happy with any menu, as long as I am not responsible for the cooking of it!

Tucker Wine Studios

Hi, I'm also still keen for an early 2011 Perth offline.

I will be back in Perth from an overseas trip on Jan 04.
Then I will be in beautiful Adelaide from Jan 17-23.

Cheers,
Mario

xsorxpire

Post by xsorxpire »

So i was asked by mum if we would like to do this off-line in January.

She said we could do it one of two ways.
We can post up the wines we would ike to bring and what we would like cooked with them.
Or.
She will stick up a menu and we can find in our cellars the wines we woud like to drink.

Her suggestion is;
Canapes on arrival.
Entre.
MAin.
Mouth freshener.
Dessert.
Cheese and stuff.

That's a six course meal.
She said she would be looking to charge about $60 a head for the meal with any profit going to MAD ride charity. Her chosen charity. (See link below)

I'll chuck a late disgorged 99 crozzer in for canapes and a 96 St Hugo in for main. (Plus a couple others where needed).

I have not done an off line before, nor have i been collecting wines for long so am interested in learning.

Pick a night in January and i will set up a new thread.

Would you prefer a week night or a weekend?

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

Hi folks,

Since I've been a good family man of late and laid back on the usual wine buying for a while I might be keen to join in. Am sure I could come up with something in the Cab region. Will have to verify a bit closer though due to usual family comitments that tend to pop up out of the blue.

Sam

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

count me in for sure ,

maybe we should make a new thread for this , I will not be able to go if its on the 7th/8th jan but the rest of the time i will be fine .

so put me down for 2

Regards Dazza

p.s where will event be held so we can get trans sorted ,Car pooling etc

Regards Dazza

xsorxpire

Post by xsorxpire »

She's in Ballajura.

I'll start a new thread as soon as we have a date sorted.

We're doing that this weekend.

We figure fourteen as a maximum and a weekend start around 4pm. (Though this may change)
We based this on the comments in one of the wine tasting threads where they said it was nice not to be rushed.

xsorxpire wrote:She said she would be looking to charge about $60 a head for the meal with any profit going to MAD ride charity. Her chosen charity. (See link below)

Link - http://madride.org/

Tucker Wine Studios

Hi xsorxpire,

My wife and I would be keen to join in. Please see my post above for the days we are NOT in Perth.
We are in Leederville and my wife is a non drinkie - so if somebody lives close by and needs a lift...

Cheers,
Mario