What are you drinking with what on Xmas day?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Luke W

What are you drinking with what on Xmas day?

Post by Luke W »

I usually drink one (or two) of my best wines on Xmas day but this year will be with the in-laws who have NFI about wine and anything better than a $10 quaffer would be a complete waste. In this spirit of voyeurism and some catharsis, I was hoping to at least enjoy the thought of some of your offerings. (I will hide an old St Huberts cabernet or something similar to sneak a wee taste anyway). If I was staying at home I'd be drinking a 2002 Toolangi Reserve Chardy (unchilled) and a 1998 Penfolds 389 with a teppanyaki bar full of seafood followed by rare cuts of marinated premium beef, lamb and chicken.

What about you?
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

rens

Re: What are you drinking with what on Xmas day?

Post by rens »

This year I've talked my brother-in-law into opening his 2001 Bin 389 (a x-mas gift I gave him 4 years ago (is that wrong???)). In addition a 2006 Avatar and I'm thinking of a 2004 Noon Reserve Cab (but may pull something else from the cellar instead like a 2002 Metala black label which probably needs to be drunk)
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Teddy

Post by Teddy »

Hi all at our house we start to celabrate on christmas eve "european wife", so we always have a seafood platter which we will have with some champagne, probably a pol roger, and also a white maybe a 2005 shantell chard.
On christmas day usally have a moscato with some fruit for brekky, then for lunch will open a ltd release campbells sparkling red which is made from a blend of many reds some decades old. And will finish with some campbells muscat.
looking forward to it.
Regards
Trev

monghead

Post by monghead »

Usually too much wine with too much food, for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and supper...

xsorxpire

Post by xsorxpire »

monghead wrote:Usually too much wine with too much food, for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and supper...

Not to mention the compulsary champagne breakfast on boxing day.

fatdoi

Post by fatdoi »

I've penciled in 01 Willows Bonesetter, 01 Mitolo Savitar, 02 Dead Arm, 04 Hobbs Shz/Viog, 04 Branson Coach House for evening wine + cheese night... hope it'll go ahead....
Relax.... In the end it's only grape juice with a twist

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

We always get into a Rockford Black Shiraz. Depends on how hot it is as to what we drink post Black Shiraz. Too hot and we normally have a Charles Melton Rose of Virginia and a couple of nice whites. I will be opening a 2001 Mount Mary Chardonnay for sure this year though (lovely drop that is at it's best now, or maybe just a little on the downward spiral). I have a few really nice whites that are ready to roll, so here's hoping for a hot day!! 8)

Merry Christmas to all on Auswine.

Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Shiraz_Freak

Post by Shiraz_Freak »

Chardonnay in this neck of the woods.

08 Savaterre
08 Cullen
07 LEAS

should be an enjoyable afternoon.

Boxing Day is Bourbon day BBQ and swimming, if it ever gets hot enough.
"It all tastes like Grange after 2 bottles"