Bordeaux 2010

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
monghead

Bordeaux 2010

Post by monghead »

Just saw pizzler post this on another thread, and have pasted it here.

pizzler wrote:To follow the thread on 2009 Bordeaux's, Jon Rimmerman (Garagiste in Washington State) has weighed in on the 2010's compared to the 2009's with a provocative perspective:

UPDATE: 2010 – This Year’s Vintage of the Century

Now What?

After 2009 was proclaimed the Vintage of the Century by pundits worldwide (a ridiculous notion), and the Bordelaise raced to charge prices that made even the most liquid investment bankers suck wind...2010 may be even better.

Yes, I’ve said it.

How can this be? I don’t even have my 2009s yet?

Take a deep breath and lets look at this scientifically.
In certain areas of the Left Bank the anthocyanins were among the highest ever recorded, far higher than 2000, 2005 or 2009 and that’s a very good thing for your cardiologist and your cellar.

Anthocyanins are the flavonoid pigments that morph into extractives noted as a carrier of color, depth, tannin (and resveratrol) – they are the basic keys to the “oomph” behind the liquid you consume and to the degree of terroir transferred to bottle. Years low in anthocyanins (such as 1997 or 2007) generally produce under-ripe and lightly colored wines with somewhat green tannins and limited ageing potential. In years such as 2000, 2005 or 2009 that number is far higher. As an example, a particularly esteemed vineyard in Margaux had anthocyanin readings in 2000 of 1765 mg/l for Merlot and 2197 mg/l for Cabernet. In 2005, a fabulously tannic and deeply gritty year, 2058mg/Merlot and 3133mg/Cabernet. In the “Vintage of the Century”, 2009? 1975mg/Merlot and 2117mg/Cabernet. What about 2010? In 2010, the Merlot was 2811 mg and the Cabernet 3343 mg – even higher than 2005 or even 1986. You can do the math but these are readings that don&r squo;t come around very often, not even in 1961.

In 2010, the berries themselves are not as pin-up perfect as in 2005 (there was significant millanderage with Merlot throughout the Right and Left Bank, uneven flowering from cold or inclement conditions) but the resulting nuggets are full of flavor and color, especially the Cabernet Sauvignon (which some are calling the finest in over 50 years). The fruit reminds many vintners of a cross between 1990, 1996, 1986 and 2005 – four vintages that will more than wake the collector from casual interest. Unlike 2009, which is what I call a “fun house” vintage (similar to 2007 in the Rhone), the fruit in 2010 has the potential to produce a modern take on masculine Cabernet Sauvignon that could be unrivaled.

2010 also had among the highest accumulated winter rainfall totals in a long time - far higher than 2000, 2005 or 2009. This is a principal of collecting moisture in the deepest reserves of the sub-soil during the winter so the vines are not stressed if particularly long periods of dry sunshine result in the summer (a good thing for grapes as long as the high temperatures are not extreme, such as in 2003). With high levels of moisture reserve, the vines can produce balanced and beautifully ripe grapes without any stress – the lower the stress, the deeper and more perfumed/nuanced the overall impression may be (just like humans). The ideal scenario is high accumulated moisture in the winter, with low accumulated moisture during the growing season and high levels of sunshine with moderate temperatures. If you have a low/low year (low winter/low summer rainfall) with balanced temperatures and sunshine (such as 2005), the wines will be structured and more tannic. A high/hig h year can still produce wonderful, classic wines as long as ample sunshine follows any summer rain (such as 2000). And what about the ideal scenario, the very rare high/low? That was 2010 - the highest collected rainfall in winter and the lowest accumulated rainfall during the summer of any vintage in the past decade, including 2000, 2005 and 2009 (which incidentally was what I call a medium/medium year – good winter rain and also enough summer rain to give just enough to the vines, but the temperatures in 2009 verged on being too high which produced alcohol levels out of whack with the rest of the components). Sunshine in 2010? Nearly identical to 2000 but less than 2009 so the potential alcohols are not as high (although they are not low by 1970’s standards, still in the 13.3-13.8% range).
While it is far too early and foolhardy to make any vintage proclamation based on scientific analysis and bunches of grapes (and many speculators have lost their shirt relying on formulas and charts for success), what is clear is that 2010 has the physical potential in certain areas of Bordeaux to be not only the finest vintage of the decade but it has a legitimate scientific opportunity to be among the finest vintages of the last 100.

Where its sibling 2009 was a braggart and extrovert from the start – showy and in your face, 2010 appears to have as much or even more potential stuffing but it does so in a classic Marvel comics sort of way – think 1960’s Superman or Batman. In other words, a real superhero not a joker.

If this is true, I shudder to think what the prices would be...

Monghead.

Craig(NZ)

Re: Bordeaux 2010

Post by Craig(NZ) »

2009's being talked down now they are sold? funny that. Glad I didn't buy any

Bick

Post by Bick »

Pretty much every year is turning into the year of the century... I think its called global warming. No rush to get any particular vintage, the next great one will be just round the corner. Second hand market for bdx will start to get swamped and relatively affordable over the next few years I think (exception being firsts and super-seconds) - if after bottling the 09's and 10's still the look the business, I may get a bit then.
Cheers,
Mike

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Pretty much every year is turning into the year of the century... I think its called global warming. No rush to get any particular vintage, the next great one will be just round the corner. Second hand market for bdx will start to get swamped and relatively affordable over the next few years I think (exception being firsts and super-seconds) - if after bottling the 09's and 10's still the look the business, I may get a bit then.

Was hardly worth buying the 05's ep by the time you accounted for costs of money etc. How then will the 09's make sense in a world economy like we have now? Im betting when they hit the retail shelves the will struggle to even hit ep+ cost of money.

platinum

Post by platinum »

I think i will stick with my Oz reds in 2010, I believe some areas had a rare vintage

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

I wonder if our strong dollar will affect the prices or will the importers just add to their already fat profit margins. :?:
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

fatdoi

Post by fatdoi »

with the way bordeaux marketing's heading, think we can expect to break $2k for 1st growth...
Relax.... In the end it's only grape juice with a twist

monghead

Post by monghead »

fatdoi wrote:with the way bordeaux marketing's heading, think we can expect to break $2k for 1st growth...

Geez, that is DRC territory! :shock:

Bick

Post by Bick »

monghead wrote:
fatdoi wrote:with the way bordeaux marketing's heading, think we can expect to break $2k for 1st growth...

Geez, that is DRC territory! :shock:

Only Lafite has any chance of going that high. Be surprised if they're much above $1200. (Which is ludicrous enough frankly)
Cheers,
Mike

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

So let me get this straight - pundits are now talking up Bordeaux based on anthocyanin readings and absolutely nothing else? and the berries weren't in great shape?

Give me a break.

In a part of the world I'm more familiar with that would be like talking up german rieslings based on Brix at harvest or residual sugar in finished wines and nothing else, which is just as stupid.

This seems like a Parker slave way of viewing quality - once we had the 100 point scale, now we have anthocyanin levels.

BigBob

Post by BigBob »

Wizz,

Bordeaux is great at the upselling game.

I love the talk about the wet winter providing stress free growing conditions for the vines and how that leads to maximum quality.

Most years they are panning the New World winemakers for irrigating to reduce stress!

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

The wizards of bdx are busy trying to conjure up the "I may miss out on something special" spell to cast upon the insecure but financially comfortable. How many vintages of the century will we see this century? About 75???

00,03,05,09...10?

jafa

Post by jafa »

Tee Hee. Seems I fall for the hype every year, so I start to save now!
Which is a problem because I've not finished loading up on 2007-09-10 Hawke Bay, or Auckland 2008-10, and..................
(get the picture?)
Which reminds me- has the 07 Unison Selection been released yet??

cheers jafa

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Which reminds me- has the 07 Unison Selection been released yet??

It was bottled in March and I got told by Terry release in July but obviously they are holding back longer than expected until the 06 is sold out. 07 Unison Selection will herald a change in style..it is a bdx blend - no syrah, made by Jenny Dobson

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Which is a problem because I've not finished loading up on 2007-09-10 Hawke Bay, or Auckland 2008-10, and..................
(get the picture?)

yep. ive decided to let bdx go...the pricing is just stupid now. I have nothing against people grabbling the odd bottle here and there as you cant operate on vfm every purchase without getting boring but just seems better value elsewhere at the mo.

09 coleraine will no doubt be a must buy as well as many 10's from auckland :lol:

fatdoi

Post by fatdoi »

I can only see Bordeaux for average person like me will only ever buy for their appreciation value like a retirement fund. But to pop one? you kidding??

Dave Dewhurst

Post by Dave Dewhurst »

fatdoi wrote:I can only see Bordeaux for average person like me will only ever buy for their appreciation value like a retirement fund. But to pop one? you kidding??

Why? This is like saying I can't afford Aussie wine because Grange is $500 a bottle. Or Yattarna, or Hill of Grace etc.

Plenty of decent Bdx out there at sensible prices, just like there's plenty of decent Aussie wine other than the icons!

Cheers

Dave

fatdoi

Post by fatdoi »

Dave Dewhurst wrote:
fatdoi wrote:I can only see Bordeaux for average person like me will only ever buy for their appreciation value like a retirement fund. But to pop one? you kidding??

Why? This is like saying I can't afford Aussie wine because Grange is $500 a bottle. Or Yattarna, or Hill of Grace etc.

Plenty of decent Bdx out there at sensible prices, just like there's plenty of decent Aussie wine other than the icons!

Cheers

Dave

Pardon me Dave, I was referring to 1st growth.....

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Dave Dewhurst wrote:

Cheers

Dave

Can people maybe suggest what is a few decent affordable (and that can be reasonably easy to find) Bordeaux to maybe throw in the cellar. My local specialty wine shop is run by a French guy and he recommends what he sells of course, but I would be interested in getting my hands on a few to add a little diversity to my cellar. I am not a Pinot drinker at all so I am not interested in Burgandies. I do enjoy Grenache though, so maybe some recommendations on them as well.

Any help is appreciated. I am a newbie to foreign wines and have little or no knowledge of them, especially French wine. The few I have tried have been rather average (cheapies I think) so I tend to stick to Oz wine.

Thanks in advance
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Dave Dewhurst

Post by Dave Dewhurst »

ticklenow1 wrote:
Dave Dewhurst wrote:

Cheers

Dave

Can people maybe suggest what is a few decent affordable (and that can be reasonably easy to find) Bordeaux to maybe throw in the cellar. My local specialty wine shop is run by a French guy and he recommends what he sells of course, but I would be interested in getting my hands on a few to add a little diversity to my cellar. I am not a Pinot drinker at all so I am not interested in Burgandies. I do enjoy Grenache though, so maybe some recommendations on them as well.

Any help is appreciated. I am a newbie to foreign wines and have little or no knowledge of them, especially French wine. The few I have tried have been rather average (cheapies I think) so I tend to stick to Oz wine.

Thanks in advance
Ian

Hi Ian,

Well, since I mouthed off a little previously, maybe I should step up to the plate with some suggestions. Decently priced drinkable Bordeaux kinda depends a little bit on how much you want to spend. However, there's a few staples going around that are usually good value and if you are looking to throw a few in the cellar and don't mind a little upfront investment, the you could do worse than some of the 2009 en primeur offers floating around. Wines like Chateau Puygueraud, Beaumont, Lanessan, Senejac are usually $25-35 ish. Up to $50-ish, Chateau Poujeaux, Potensac, Bernadotte, Citran, Pibran and various other Cru Bourgeois are always worth a look. Granted you won't get these wines till 2012 but if they are going to sit in a cellar, that's not an issue.

Another option is have a look for some of these names at auction for some older versions when they have a little age - OK, you are taking a punt on storage etc, but in the last year or two, I've picked up a bunch of late 80's to late 90's Bdx like this for between $15 and $30 and haven't hit a bummer yet, while a few of the Aussie wines of this age and price range I have taken a punt on have been 'dead, buried and cremated' to coin a phrase! :D Drinking a lovely smoky 89 Chateau Pibran right now in fact!

As for grenache, Southern Rhone is probably a good place to start. The 07 vintage was very good apparently and I have had a few decent Cote du Rhone and Cote du Rhone Villages wines. These are relatively cheap and widely avaialble in Oz. Wines like Gigondas and Vacqueras are usually reasonable too. Spain is also another option with lots of Garnachas as they call them at decent prices. I hesitate to recommend names here as I know an importer of Spanish wines rather well.

Hope that helps and I am sure there's lots more knowledgable people than me here who can add to your list and break your bank! :twisted:

Cheers

Dave

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Chateau Puygueraud, Beaumont, Lanessan, Senejac are usually $25-35 ish

Had a bit of experience with these. Lannessan used to be $20ish and good value but its quite a bit more now. Some are pretty hit and miss. From 05 I have had both Puygureraud ($25ish all up) and Senejec ($40ish all up) and would rather drink a Hawkes Bay at a similar price point. They just seem one dimensional. Chateau Puygueraud was very very ordinary and Senejec just ok. I dunno, these are really just the standard "church road equivalents" of bdx .... the good weekly drinkers.

I have also had Pibran in the past. The 96 was very good but again just a little one dimensional if you had to get critical

One I was very impressed with was 05 La Bienfaisance at about $40 was definitely worth the trouble. Very classy. Hoping some of the flasher labels impress

But for me cheap bordeaux is cheap bordeaux. Haven't really had too many bottles to push me to change my opinion. I think if you are arguing vfm in reference to bdx at any level these days you are on shaky ground