Grenache and Food Pairings

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Vino Rosso

Grenache and Food Pairings

Post by Vino Rosso »

Hi Everyone,

I am planning on having a BBQ and Grenache night with some friends and wanted some advice anyone may have on good food, and meat, pairings for Grenache.

Thanks.

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Grenache doesn't have high tannin levels compared to CabSav and Shiraz. So I'm thinking meats like Veal and Lamb. :?:

ChrisV

Post by ChrisV »

Grenache tends to be a bit sweet, has a bit of spice to it, but lacks tannins. That to me would suggest some marinated lighter-style meats, something with a bit of tang to it. Chicken or lamb shaslicks, marinated chicken (honey soy, maybe, or BBQ sauce) and marinated lamb shanks all come to mind. For sausages I'd get something with some flavour to them, like tomato and basil or something. I'd avoid anything too big and rich (e.g. steak) as grenache doesn't have the tannins to cope and would avoid anything too sour (lemon pepper chicken) or mildly flavoured (seafood) as it doesn't have enough acid and will taste cloying.

Scanlon

Post by Scanlon »

perhaps you could experiemtn with a GSM or two if you'd like vary things a bit?

Vino Rosso

Post by Vino Rosso »

Thanks everyone for the responses, I really appreciate the assistance!

I really enjoy a GSM. The Rockford - Moppa Springs is always a stable in my fridge. I have also tried the Torbreck - The Steading and Charles Melton -Nine Popes and both found them to be really easy to drink and good wines.

Last Friday I tried my first straight Grenache, the 2004 Cirillo 1850 Old Vine Grenache with some friends. We were all quite surprised how nice it was and it has inspired us to try a few more straight Grenache wines. I have been looking at the Grenache Challenge Post on this forum for some idea on what to try.

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

I'm a big fan of the Kalleske Old Vine Grenache with a bit of age on it.

Tristram Shandy

Post by Tristram Shandy »

Last Friday I tried my first straight Grenache, the 2004 Cirillo 1850 Old Vine Grenache with some friends. We were all quite surprised how nice it was and it has inspired us to try a few more straight Grenache wines. I have been looking at the Grenache Challenge Post on this forum for some idea on what to try.

Glad to hear that my Grenache Challenge has had some effect! Straight grenache can be a lovely wine, although the winemakers tell me that most have a bit of something else (shiraz, mataro) that isn't mentioned on the bottle. In any case, it is still underappreciated.

I've been continuing along with my grenache journey since the Challenge - you might be interested in a few suggestions:

Clos Clare "The Hayes Boy" Grenache - elegant
Rudderless Grenache - quite masculine
Tscharke "The Potter" Garnacha - big boned stuff.

and most special of all recently:

Hutton Vale Grenache Mataro - really delicious stuff - can't drink just one glass.

And don't miss the 2006 Samuel's Gorge Grenache if you can still find it.

This year I'm hoping to do a Southern Rhone Varieties Challenge, so wines like Charlie Melton's Nine Popes will be in the running. I'm interested in hearing of any special Grenache blend recommendations.

Cheers,

Tristram
US escapee now living in wine paradise

ross67

Post by ross67 »

I've been continuing along with my grenache journey since the Challenge - you might be interested in a few suggestions:

Clos Clare "The Hayes Boy" Grenache - elegant
Rudderless Grenache - quite masculine
Tscharke "The Potter" Garnacha - big boned stuff.

and most special of all recently:

Hutton Vale Grenache Mataro - really delicious stuff - can't drink just one glass.

And don't miss the 2006 Samuel's Gorge Grenache if you can still find it.

Cheers,

Tristram[/quote]

Tried the '05 Rudderless at the Victory Tristram and thought it was a super wine
Also tried the Samuel's Gorge at CD...current and previous vintage. Both very good as well
MV Grenache seems to be getting better and better

ross

Fortune 3rd reg. attempt

Post by Fortune 3rd reg. attempt »

It's been interesting see grenache transition from a variety that you had to explain and introduce, to one that is quite mainstream.

There are no longer the amazing bargains that there were when it was unloved and unwanted, but now that there is a market there is a far wider range and some wonderful top-end wines.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Perhaps about 10-12 years ago, I remember finding a Normans varietal grenache to be a bit different but very enjoyable nonetheless. I think it was labelled "Unfiltered"(or was that the chardy they released about the same time?).

The only varietal grenache I recall having tried in the last couple of years or so was Old Plains/Longhop Old Vine Grenache 2006. It was quite enjoyable. The current vintage is the 2007 that I've not tried but was made in the same fashion should be similar I should think, vintage/fruit inputs notwithstanding.

Pork is my suggested meat to pair with grenache. Try marinating some tenderised pork leg steaks with sage, oregano, freshly-ground black pepper, a sprinkle of salt, crushed garlic, extra virgin olive oil and a splash of full-bodied/aged balsamic vinegar. Pour some of the marinade on each side of the steaks whilst cooking quickly on a hot bbq plate or grill.
Cheers

daz

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

Last Friday I tried my first straight Grenache, the 2004 Cirillo 1850 Old Vine Grenache with some friends. We were all quite surprised how nice it was and it has inspired us to try a few more straight Grenache wines. I have been looking at the Grenache Challenge Post on this forum for some idea on what to try.[/quote]Marco Makes an excellent Grenache and for me being a lover of grenache i thought you might like a few Different Ideas of the wine :) Foggo Grenache From Mclaren Vale,Normans Grenache,Jasper Hill from Heathcote ,Greenock creek Near Barossa Valley,Yalumba Bush Vine and Clarendon hills make some great grenache and if you want to spend more then there is Aust old vine company , Hardy's Tintara Yum Yum ,kilikanoon The duke Grenache and many others , Mind you it saddens me when BWS ,Vintage etc just dont have any form of range at all Try a few little shops

Good luck

Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

dave vino wrote:I'm a big fan of the Kalleske Old Vine Grenache with a bit of age on it.

YUM YUM
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

Scanlon

Re:

Post by Scanlon »

dazza1968 wrote:Last Friday I tried my first straight Grenache, the 2004 Cirillo 1850 Old Vine Grenache with some friends. We were all quite surprised how nice it was and it has inspired us to try a few more straight Grenache wines.

Good luck

Regards Dazza

I bought 4 of these a number of years ago and opened one for the first time on the weekend. yum yum yum!!!! wish i had more!

grey

Re: Grenache and Food Pairings

Post by grey »

I am another one that the Grenache Challenge inspired or provoked a increase in interest in GSM blends and straight Grenache. Although tried so many on the night that some of heavier ones such as the Rusden kind of over powered the lighter ones.
Love Kalleske Clarrys as a great quaffer.
Have also since tried and bought Samuels Gorge current vintage, Penny's Hill, Rusden, and Possums straight Grenache, and maybe more.

Tristram Shandy

Post by Tristram Shandy »

I'm glad to hear that my Grenache Challenge has raised the level of interest in Grenache. My passion for this variety has not abated and I now have about 130 bottles of straight grenache from 80 different labels. Some of the more interesting recent acquisitions have been:

2009 Singular Onkaparinga Hills - (had a terrific tasting the other day with Ben Barletta and his brother Mario who make the wine, along with two other grenache wines)
2008 Old Plains Terreno
2006 Old Faithful Sandhill - magnificent perfume on this one
2009 St. Hallett Old Vine - a rather odd one at only 13.5% - stays away from being too sweet and remains light with a lovely bouquet - Cellar door only.
2008 Ochota Barrels - the taste of Turkish Delight is quite pronounced - on the sweet side but very nice nonetheless
2006 The Colonial Estate Alexander Laing - not worth the normal $80 retail price, but at a fire sale $20 it's a geniune bargain
2007 Lot Thirteen

Tried the Torbreck Natural Wine Project which was a straight grenache that was unfiltered and used no preservatives. Sounded intriguing but ended up just too sweet without any compensating spicy characters.

Going to open a bottle of Noon Eclipse for my birthday on the weekend.

TS
US escapee now living in wine paradise

grey

Post by grey »

Thanks for the tip Tristram bought a bottle of the 2008 Old Plains Terreno and trying it tonight.

Does anyone know if the Singular wines re-branded or at least using the same grapes as Solitary Block?

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Tried yesterday

2009 SC Pannell Grenache.

Only made in very good vintages (I think 2006 was the last ??) and absolutely stunning!

TS, and other Grenache lovers, go try to find some, its balanced, intense, not over ripened with beautifully ripe and fine tannins, a 'serious' Grenache that's also downright delicious!

regards

Gavin Trott