Why doesn't Robert Parker like Australian whites ?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Doc Rock wrote:To my good friends Down Under!

Note well, Mr. Parker has never reviewed deBortoli Noble One, or, any Wendouree bottling among just a couple of "holes" in his Australian wine experience.

I don't think the Brady's even send Wendouree to any local critics for review, so it'll be a heatwave in Hades before they send one to Parker, that's for sure!

cheers,
Graeme

Doc Rock

Post by Doc Rock »

GraemeG wrote:I don't think the Brady's even send Wendouree to any local critics for review, so it'll be a heatwave in Hades before they send one to Parker, that's for sure!

cheers,
Graeme

Graeme,

As it should be!
Steve

"Don't let the past remind us of what we are not now."

KMP

Post by KMP »

Doc Rock wrote:
KMP wrote:[I couldn't agree more with this. The number chasers will destroy access to anything of reasonable value if it breaks the 90+ barrier. I can guarantee that the next tasting I go to there will be at least one character who will ask what the wines scored (either from Parker or Wine Spectator), while actually tasting the wines!! The mind boggles at how naive these people are about selecting wine.

Mike

Mike,

Let's see. He has Pierre Rovani doing Burgundy now. And Daniel Thomases doing Italy. I'm guessing that, given his age and a natural desire to do other things, it might not be too long before he hands off Australian wines to someone else as well.

OK, everybody...who out there wants to do Australian wine reviews for The Wine Advocate? :roll:

Well maybe Halliday can do it :shock:, he seems to have an effect, even here in the US. I've been trying to access Kalleske's 2002 Shiraz - a wine Halliday gave 96 points. Part of the importer's reply was - "Suggested retail is going to be in the $50-60 range, depending on what my final pricing & exchange rate will be. If you can source directly from a secondary source in Australia, I would highly recommend doing so." A six pack from the winery was $205 ($34.17/btl). With a current exchange rate of 1.39 Aussie for each greenback that means $55US is $75.90AUS/btl. Anyone willing to pay almost $80 for their Kalleske? I think I'll go buy more 1998 St Henri. It is still less than $30US.

Mike

Barney

Post by Barney »

I am soooo #$#%%$# sick of reading about Parker, Parker said this, Parker said that, is this, is that - ParkerParkerParker - Arrrrrggh !!, every forum everywhere. We all say "who cares what Parker says" but we all keep talking about him.

Maybe if we ignore him he will just go away and the locally based forums will be a much happier place.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Mike,

Grab the St Henri at about AUD 40 a bottle - a great wine in the making (2012+) at that price.

Mike

Timmy

Post by Timmy »

Crikey guys, didn't mean to stir so much emotion up.

Isn't wine just great - hey ? I love a subject that you can get so passionate about, really getting the juices flowing 8)

Michael

Post by Michael »

Empty wrote:May I suggest you steer clear of personal attacks and stick to topic.

I was merely responding to another personal attack.

I don't profess to a palate anywhere near as good as Parkers, but I do have a few more years experience in seeing how Australian wines age.

It is difficult to respond to this without it sounding personal, but it may come as a shock to you that no one producing wine really cares what 'TORB' thinks of a wine. Granted there are some consumers who consume one type of red that will derive benefit from your notes, but ask the winemakers that have even heard of TORB what they think.

I imagine at this point you might get 5 or 6 people come to your defence and even rattle of the names of half a dozen insignificant wineries or players in the industry who are too scared of you to say otherwise.

Me, I will shut up and take my thoughts elsewhere. Amen to that.

I am not sure this is necessary, if no other reason than most people must surely know this is true, no need to muck rake for the sake of it.

Aussie Johns

Post by Aussie Johns »

Some of the Oz whites I try are quite nice, but I don't have any in the cellar, because Parker hasn't reviewed them and I therefore wouldn't know if they will age or not.
Personally, I don't see any point buying a wine that Parker hasn't reviewed and given more than 90 points, it just wouldn't taste any good.

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

Aussie Johns wrote:Some of the Oz whites I try are quite nice, but I don't have any in the cellar, because Parker hasn't reviewed them and I therefore wouldn't know if they will age or not.
Personally, I don't see any point buying a wine that Parker hasn't reviewed and given more than 90 points, it just wouldn't taste any good.

I say AJ you have put away your paddle and started using a giant mixmaster. :wink:
MM.