Akd Offline: Fri Dec 3rd - Notes now posted

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Craig(NZ)

Akd Offline: Fri Dec 3rd - Notes now posted

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Jafa wrote in another thread:

Now. I think Craig is due to be pounding the pavements, ruining the knees this weekend. Once over, He maybe due for a
drink or two. Time to think about the Rare and Cult Wines offline before Xmas? Seem to recall offers of Paritua 2112, BFV
Redd Gravels, Bell Hill Pinot............ or am I just over excited?

Training going well again thank god after a few weeks of struggles. Just about to clock over 1000 miles running for the year and knock off the Auckland Half Marathon on Sunday. Weather forecast looks good. Then will cash in my extra fitness hiking the big peaks of the north island this summer with my now very fit family, and of course some good wines with the big 4 0 next feb!

Id be tentatively keen for a cult wine "tasting" this year, being aware it is a busy time of year. If we could make it work i'd be keen although i am already booked quite a few dates YTG. It could turn out to be a cat herding exercise. If not we could look at the holiday season where everyone is lazing about relaxing. It would also be kind of nice if Peter was keen that we do all we can to fit it in with a time he is in Auckland...where is Peter? Are you around mate? I know Curt is keen too.

My thoughts are....lets make every wine a "wow" top shelf effort - ie genuinely wines that we would very rarely have any opportunity of ever tasting outside a forum like this?

Wines that are in:
Wines that get the heart racing, the smiles appearing at the mere sound of their name.
Wines that make use druel at the very thought.
Wines that if we were richer or more reckless we would buy more than the handful we can afford.
Wines that perhaps only sit in the cellars of one or two of us.
Wines we usually only pull out on very special occassions
Top vintages of the great classics and yes exclusive wank wank cults that we would all love to try but are too cool to admit (we all give in to curiousity and hype occassionally)

Wines that are out
No wines that in any way could be seen as even a shade below the definitions above
No lesser vintages
No "who cares" wineries or labels
Imagine the only wineries allowed to exist in the world were your top (i dunno) 25-50 wineries, then if the wine you are thinking of bringing now does not exist in that dream then forget it.
Nothing that too many of us have already tried
Nothing bought from the wine society $120 selection
Nothing that anyone will just skip over when reading our tasting notes after the event
I would envisage that these wines would be worth <>$100 a bottle or more, though there could be exceptions

ie. make a true hard dent in the cellar and pull out one of those really special wines that you know you want to drink alone, and share with nobody, and make the sacrifice. If we all do that, the experience will well outweigh the "loss" of such a wine.

So perhaps I could offer somethong like 2006 Bell Hill Pinot Noir and I can neither confirm or deny that Mel could come with a bottle Puriri Hills Pope (and it wont be labelled with the 2005 vintage either).

Format

One bottle = one entry. Wine organised and listed beforehand so we know exactly who/ what is coming.

8-10(max) would be ideal?

No white coats and spitoons. Farked if im gonna watch people spit these sorta quality wines! Top wine as top wine was designed to be enjoyed, with good food and friends. :mrgreen:

Whether it is at a byo as last time or someones house where everyone brings a plate of wine friendly food? I am open for discussion here too. Something to explore

I just think what I have proved over the years is that the tastings organsised that are well themed and involve genuinely special wines are the ones that live with you as wine experiences forever. Tastings that are an uncordinated mish mash of all and sundry i have less enthusiam for. I can go to work drinks for that :mrgreen:

So the great SRL tasting clocked up nearly 200 posts from memory before it was organised. I am sure we can do that justice with this thread? So discussions to be had, just laying out my ideas and not to say all my ideas are bang on gospel. Id also be happy if after all discussion and consensus that someone else took final responsibility to lay down the law as to where/ what/ when/ how, otherwise it begins to become like a MMP parliment and nothing is ever achieved :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Craig(NZ) on Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Peter NZ

Re: Auckland Offline - Date TBC - Cream of Cults and Classic

Post by Peter NZ »

Yes, I'm around and keen.

One possibility is the weekend of 27 - 28 Nov, when Maryanne & I'll be in town, so 2 of us if it's then, though I'm sure I could make something else work.

You don't say so Craig, but assume the theme is still NZ cults and classics?

If so, I could perhaps go for the aforementioned Blake Family Vineyards Redd Gravel '05 & either an '02 Trinity Hill Homage or '02 Le Sol (or '98 Coleraine?).

Cheers
Peter

Bick

Post by Bick »

I'm keen and would love to be involved; I'm around except for 13-21 November when I'll be out of the country.

Not sure I have much that would make the grade in the cellar, so may have to buy-in my place at the table. All I currently have that is sufficiently culty and a good vintage is Larose 08 or 09 - top vintages we didn't taste at the Larose vertical - only its rather early days for them.

I think a list of likely wines might include the following wineries:
Destiny Bay
Providence
Stonyridge
Bell Hill
Dry River
Church Road ("Tom")
... maybe some other top end pinot?

Not sure Te Mata would make the grade tbh - too common/cheap!
Cheers,
Mike

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

You don't say so Craig, but assume the theme is still NZ cults and classics?

If so, I could perhaps go for the aforementioned Blake Family Vineyards Redd Gravel '05 & either an '02 Trinity Hill Homage or '02 Le Sol (or '98 Coleraine?).

All good in my books. could be nz only or could be all? open to options. if someone wants to bring a 61 petrus im not arguing.

srl 08 and 09 would be fine. its just whether they would show as good as they could so young....mind you im thinking PH08 pope so...

91 or 98 or maybe even 05 would make the grade!?! maybe recent vintages too common and most would have tried?

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

One possibility is the weekend of 27 - 28 Nov,

oh poos i'm away that weekend :cry:
hmm im not gonna be surprised if pre xmas is gonna be a difficulat ask to get a date...

rooman

Post by rooman »

I am in Auckland from 5-12 Nov for a wedding if this offline made any traction. I was actually thinking of opening one of the Larose whilst I am over there to try one.

As a side issue, which are the better B YOs over Ponsonby way?

monghead

Post by monghead »

Ha, I like the "ins and outs" criteria. You run a tight ship Craig. Good luck...

Monghead

jafa

Post by jafa »

Cool. Yup I'm keen to be in, if it can be finessed into action.
Have to agree with monghead about tight criteria. I'd prefer to keep it kiwi, with exclusive cult and snob values to the fore.
I've not been tempted to participate in buying over the top, block 7, row 10, vines 3--10, mega dollar wines, but have taken
the opportunity to try when offered, prefering better value elsewhere. Two bottles of Coleraine rather than one [add cult fav ].

Bick wrote:Not sure I have much that would make the grade in the cellar, so may have to buy-in my place at the table. All I currently have that is sufficiently culty and a good vintage is Larose 08 or 09 - top vintages we didn't taste at the Larose vertical - only its rather early days for them.

I reckon it's too early for 08 09 Larose, but Coleraine/Larose/Terraces, while "cheaper" are cult and classic kiwi wines, so adding one of
those, like say a 98 Cole, would be useful as a known quality benchmark, and a value reference.

I'm currently thinking of contributing either a 96 or 97 Martinborough Reserve Pinot. Willing to accept preferences there. I prefer the 97
but IIRC Craig placed the 96 in his 'best of the best' selections. Hopefully not many of the particpants have had a taste of these. Limited
production, very culty back in the day, and probably not a lot have survived this long.

cheers jafa

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

I'm currently thinking of contributing either a 96 or 97 Martinborough Reserve Pinot. Willing to accept preferences there. I prefer the 97
but IIRC Craig placed the 96 in his 'best of the best' selections. Hopefully not many of the particpants have had a taste of these. Limited
production, very culty back in the day, and probably not a lot have survived this long.

The 97 is the only one I havent tried and "on paper" is the weakest they have done? But wouldnt put my opinion over someone that has tried it. "On paper" the 96 should be in better nick than the 97 just on basis of overall vintage quality?? If stored well the 96 id imagine would be fine!? 97 I will leave jusdgement there to someone that is familiar with it.

The last one I had was a 98 last year and it was still pretty youthful, still trucking well and actually needed a lot of time to open up (it was an oaky beast to start with). Excellent wine but I think the 96 and 94 were better

Exciting!! This is a great choice jafa!!

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

I have plenty of good nz stuff though my 90's collection now is basically only stonyridge and coleraine. I don't have many "cults" but i have a light sprinkling of them - mainly purchased with this type of event in mind.

Will have to go through my list to jog my memory but have a few CR le sols of various vintages, all the puriri hills stuff. Pinots i prob only got bell hill to fit my definitions above. i dont have any Tom or Dry River (except gw). I dont have any older Felton Road Block Pinots either which would be another good wine to consider. I do have a 98 Vidal Soler Cab which would probably make the grade in status at least though not sure it would show any better than a very good aussie $50 cab and I bet a 98 coleraine would slaughter it. It might be a bit clumsy next to the more refined labels. Its just a good "benchmark" 100% NZ Cab

Whites we may struggle to find one to fit the grade unless someone has an 04 Bell Hill Chardonnay or a great older vintage Neudorf Moutere!?! I dont have any to fit the grade.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

I reckon it's too early for 08 09 Larose, but Coleraine/Larose/Terraces, while "cheaper" are cult and classic kiwi wines, so adding one of
those, like say a 98 Cole, would be useful as a known quality benchmark, and a value reference.

Agree. As long as a top vintage. We dont need eg a 98 Larose or 03 coleraine. Even Church Rd Tom you would want a good vintage as some are pretty average. A 98 or 05 would be the ticket!

Bick

Post by Bick »

Craig(NZ) wrote:
I reckon it's too early for 08 09 Larose, but Coleraine/Larose/Terraces, while "cheaper" are cult and classic kiwi wines, so adding one of those, like say a 98 Cole, would be useful as a known quality benchmark, and a value reference.

Agree. As long as a top vintage. We dont need eg a 98 Larose or 03 coleraine. Even Church Rd Tom you would want a good vintage as some are pretty average. A 98 or 05 would be the ticket!

Agreed again. I would rather keep hold of the SRL for 5-10 when they will start to hit their straps - wasted here I think. I can prob source something interesting. Craig et al - can you confirm that Providence would meet the snob value we're looking for? I see you can get the 05 (good year in Matakana) from Caros for about $130 and some older vintages from Kemps I think... if this isn't favoured, feel free to make suggestions. I could look out for a good vintage Tom as an alternative (I just looked, and could get this). Good call on MV res pinot, Jafa - I'd love to try that.
Cheers,
Mike

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

can you confirm that Providence would meet the snob value we're looking for

Definitely in my books. Ive only had it twice, a 93 next to a 94 SRL and it to me was in the same class and a 00 next to a 05 PH Pope. Again in the same class.

05 Providence is supposed to be excellent

Bick

Post by Bick »

Craig(NZ) wrote:05 Providence is supposed to be excellent

Good - because I have a btl now and will bring it...

So, we are looking at:
Craig: possibly Bell Hill Pinot ?
Mel: possibly Puriri Hills Pope ?
Jafa: Martinborough Vineyard Reserve Pinot (1996 or 1997 ?)
Bick: Providence 2005
Peter: Blake Family Vineyards Redd Gravels 2005
Maryanne: Trinity Hill Homage 2002 or Le Sol 2002 or Coleraine 1998

...shaping up nicely... anyone else keen to join? Sue and Curt - are either of you lurking out there with an iconic wine to share?
Cheers,
Mike

burgster

Post by burgster »

Sounds like you need a white, what about a 10 year old sav?

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Sounds like you need a white, what about a 10 year old sav?

not many savs gonna make 10 years as no doubt you were indicating. Though id love to try a 96 Cloudy Bay. Wouldnt be surprised if it was still alive

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Curt.....91 Coleraine?? :mrgreen: ??

yip lock me down for pope and bell hill. I will have a look at my list at home over the weekend and see if i spot anything else to suggest above those but off the top of my head these seem the best options against the theme.

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

If an interloper could possibly join in I am interested, depending on date chosen. If an Aussie wine may be permitted to be included I still have an '86 John Riddoch and a '91 Wynns Centenary I could put on the sacrificial table.
Mike.
PS - Craig I have an old Cloudy Bay SB but not sure how good it is now.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

If an interloper could possibly join in I am interested, depending on date chosen. If an Aussie wine may be permitted to be included I still have an '86 John Riddoch and a '91 Wynns Centenary I could put on the sacrificial table.
Mike.
PS - Craig I have an old Cloudy Bay SB but not sure how good it is now.

Hey, would be great to see you again! Two great wines there!

Cloudy Bay would be an interesting curio. Ive have had a couple of verticals of it. They seem to hold well most vintages for 5 or 6 years. The odd vintage seem way longer lived. 96 as a Sauvignon Blanc vintage seemed to last legendary amounts of time. I think of the 96 Cloudy Bay and the 96 Wither Hills as examples and even the old 96 Delegats Private Reserve which was Hawkes Bay (back when wither hills sb was actually a prestige label at twice the price it sells now, not ruined by supermarkets!!). They were almost immortal and I reckon if well stored I wouldnt be at all surprised if they both are alive today.

I no longer cellar any Sauvignon Blanc. I hardly buy any more than the odd Cloudy Bay, Te Mata Cape Crest and St Clair Pioneer Block/ Wairau Reserve. All of which are drunk over the summer after purchase.

Will leave this thread up for a couple more days, see who is interested then try for a date that suits all. Not really concerned about rushing to get a date. I really think we will be on a losing battle this side of xmas to find one that suits most with all sorts of year end/xmas functions crowding out peoples calendars. Perhaps early new year at Peter's earliest convenience. I think the collection of wines are going to be of such interest/ quality that we should work as hard as possible to land a date that suits all.

Peter NZ

Post by Peter NZ »

Craig(NZ) wrote:Whites we may struggle to find one to fit the grade unless someone has an 04 Bell Hill Chardonnay or a great older vintage Neudorf Moutere!?! I dont have any to fit the grade.

I've got a single bottle of '07 Bell Hill Chardonnay, a '98 Neudorf Moutere, which would more than likely be past it, & an '03 Moutere, but can't think of any other whites that might make the grade ... though perhaps this is a theme for another day -- I'm sure that between us we could pull together a pretty interesting selection of high quality and rare NZ whites ...

I do have an early 90s Ata Rangi Reserve PN (I think '91 but would need to check) which I wouldn't hold out high hopes for but am happy to also bring along as a bonus wine -- certainly fits the rare & cult criteria, & you never know ...

Next date that definitely works for us & when we'll be in Akld is Sunday 16 Jan, but appreciate it's unlikely everyone who wants to attend will be in town then. Quite possible though that we can make some other dates work if someone wants to throw up some possibilities.

Cheers
Peter

Curt

Post by Curt »

Curt.....91 Coleraine?? ??
Can do !

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Curt.....91 Coleraine?? ??
Can do !

Now if that wine doesn't meet the standard, nothing does...yum :mrgreen:

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Craig: 2006 Bell Hill Pinot
Jafa: 199? Martinborough Vineyard Reserve Pinot
Mel: 200? Puriri Hills Pope
Bick: 2005 Providence
Peter: 2005 Blake Family Vineyards Redd Gravels
Curt: 1991 Coleraine
Mike (if able): 1986 Wynns John Riddoch or 1991 Wynns Centenary
Maryanne: 2002 Trinity Hill Homage 2002 or 2002 CR Le Sol

Maybe skip 1998 Coleraine? definitely makes the grade and great wine but maybe a non coleraine better as Curt is bringing 1991? Maybe the 02 Le Sol is more "culty" than the 2002 Homage??

jafa

Post by jafa »

Peter NZ wrote: I do have an early 90s Ata Rangi Reserve PN (I think '91 but would need to check) which I wouldn't hold out high hopes for but am happy to also bring along as a bonus wine -- certainly fits the rare & cult criteria, & you never know ...
Peter

Maybe the makings here of another vertical. I've a few older Ata Rangi's ( not reserves, but ) floating around in the cellar, nothing that old
however. At a guess 98, 00, 03. Should I put 'Hold Tags' on some of these?

cheers jafa.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Maybe the makings here of another vertical. I've a few older Ata Rangi's ( not reserves, but ) floating around in the cellar, nothing that old
however. At a guess 98, 00, 03. Should I put 'Hold Tags' on some of these?

Yes an obvious vertical. I have a smaller collection of Ata Rangi than I used to but have a few recent ones

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Right shall we start pitching some dates? I think would be good to try fit around Peter

For me basically any time I can probably make work but im away weekend of 27/28 Nov so cant do then and also 15/16 Jan im away work conference

Bick

Post by Bick »

Any date suggestions for this?

I can do most w/e's from Nov 27th onwards, except those right around Xmas/NY. As Craig's away 27/28th, that leaves first three w/e of Dec: 4/5th, 11/12th, 18/19th, or early next year from mid Jan onwards. What suits folk?
Cheers,
Mike

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

I am pretty easy except consider re Dec

1. Restaurants are pretty much flat out booked so may be difficult to get a booking if that was to be the venue chosen
2. Folks have end of year this/ that and the other thing - calendars can get a bit crazy/ exhausting
3. Credit Card is maxed
4. Last minute commitments sneak up which could equal folk pulling out at last minute

Personally, realistically I reckon we look at late Jan or even Feb though am happy to fit in before this if other folk feel they can make it work with a full card of folk

Its always a bit like herding cats, but the cats might be on speed in Dec??

jafa

Post by jafa »

Bick wrote:Any date suggestions for this?

I can do most w/e's from Nov 27th onwards, except those right around Xmas/NY. As Craig's away 27/28th, that leaves first three w/e of Dec: 4/5th, 11/12th, 18/19th, or early next year from mid Jan onwards. What suits folk?

For me. just call it. If the prize is tempting enough, it's just a question of making it happen.
Open to 'bring a plate" and have it in somebody's garage, which should make it easier to organise.

cheers jafa.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Happy offer to have it my place . Have indoor and outdoor 8 seater tables
though im not exactly central
and yes im still ok for most of Dec. could do it on a fri night, sat lunch, sat evening, sunday lunch

more thinking peter coming from wellington...if at all possible include as many as are interested.