Rockford time of year again.......

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
odyssey

Re: Rockford time of year again.......

Post by odyssey »

Nothing like a poor cellar door experience to turn you off a winery.

Myself and +1 made the effort to stop by Rockford's public cellar door in May (despite being warned about the disappointing experience there by AlexF - should have taken his advice) and I would agree with Alex that it was certainly nothing to write home about.

Was all the more disappointing as we had just come from visiting the very lovely folks up at Charlie Melton up the road.

Anyway at the Rockford public cellar door the staff came across as surly and dismissive. Perhaps all that exclusivity has gone to their heads but it felt as if as general public customers we were not worth their time. There are many more options out there to whom I'd be much happier giving my hardearned. :P

Mark Carrington

Post by Mark Carrington »

Love Rockford BP Shiraz. Fairly tricky to track down in the UK, partly because it remains so well price. Vintage variation represents authenticity & reflection of a sense of place, IMO.
My favourite vineyard visit when in the Barossa 8 years ago: an authentic warm welcome. A must visit when I return in a couple of months time. Interestingly, the above report of a recent visit to Rockford very reminiscent of my visit to St Hallet. Put me off buying Old Block for a couple of years & even now I only occasionally buy releases.

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

Has anyone tried the current release Black shiraz? I am reading to post an order, but not sure about the current Black.

cheers
Bruce
When not drinking a fine red, I'm a cardboard claret man!

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Brucer - I had it on Thursday and it struck me as a little bit sweeter than in the past, but still a really enjoyable drop.....

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

Thanks Mike.
If you are in NY, you got it quick??
B
When not drinking a fine red, I'm a cardboard claret man!

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

I'm in Oz for work and found time to get to the Barossa. It turned out my visit coincided with release day...

Adair

Post by Adair »

ticklenow1 wrote:All in all, I am one of the people who really look forward to getting my newsletter every year as well. The wines are not for everyone, but if you get the bug, it is hard to shake. Along with Noon and Greenock Creek, Rockfords is the one letterhead I love to see in my mailbox every year. Now if only I could get on the Wendouree list.......
Hi ticklenow1,
Just a quick thought... have you tried a Wendouree? Given your like of Greenock Creek and Noon, you may not like Wendouree. Wendouree is as far to the "left" of Rockford as Greenock Creek and Noon are to the "right", if you know what I mean...in terms of richness and structure.

On a different but very related topic, I just placed my Rockford order online. Who would have thought that I would ever be able to do that!!! One each of everything except the Fronti and Marion, and 3 bottles of the Black. I like to taste before committing to any more than a bottle of anything these days... but I need a few more of the Black after last summer's demolition.

Adair
Wine is bottled poetry.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Adair wrote:
ticklenow1 wrote:All in all, I am one of the people who really look forward to getting my newsletter every year as well. The wines are not for everyone, but if you get the bug, it is hard to shake. Along with Noon and Greenock Creek, Rockfords is the one letterhead I love to see in my mailbox every year. Now if only I could get on the Wendouree list.......
Hi ticklenow1,
Just a quick thought... have you tried a Wendouree? Given your like of Greenock Creek and Noon, you may not like Wendouree. Wendouree is as far to the "left" of Rockford as Greenock Creek and Noon are to the "right", if you know what I mean...in terms of richness and structure.

Adair

Adair,

I have had the pleasure of twice trying Wendouree. A mad wine mate of mine had a dinner party once and served a '96 Grange and a '99 Wendouree Shiraz. Both my wife and I were astounded by the Wendouree and preferred it to the Grange. Actually, in our book it was much better than the Grange.

I like to drink a wide range of wines and in fact Grenache is my favourite. My wife likes the big fruit bomb Barossa Shiraz's so we are a ways apart.

Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

I joined the junior mailing list after a cellar door last year and have yet to pull the trigger on any subsequent purchases. Much as I love the black shiraz and the idea of having access to BP, I'm not in a position to buy cases of wine I'm not crazy about in return for the far off possibility of gaining access to the big guns. However, I've enjoyed Rifle Range and Moppa Springs in the past (not so much Rod & Spur though I don't have extensive experience of any of the above, quite frankly).

So my question to the more experienced is... what is your opinion of the newer release second tier wines? I'm contemplating finding room in my budget for, say, half a dozen mixed of the 2008 Rifle Range and 2006 Moppa Springs - would I be wasting my money? I understand that the 2006 RR was pretty good and the 2007 RR and R&S much less so - how would the new iterations stack up?

Sorry for the requests - I'm trying to get a handle on whether this is something I want to devote limited budget to and I won't be back in SA till January so am shooting a bit in the dark...
3, 65, 7, 50

Adair

Post by Adair »

ticklenow1 wrote:Adair,

I have had the pleasure of twice trying Wendouree. A mad wine mate of mine had a dinner party once and served a '96 Grange and a '99 Wendouree Shiraz. Both my wife and I were astounded by the Wendouree and preferred it to the Grange. Actually, in our book it was much better than the Grange.

I like to drink a wide range of wines and in fact Grenache is my favourite. My wife likes the big fruit bomb Barossa Shiraz's so we are a ways apart.

Ian
There is definitely place for Noon's and Wendouree in your house then. :wink:

By the way, a dinner 3 years back, we opened 1986 and 1990 Grange. While the rest of the table was focussing on these, I opened some current release Wendourees to amuse myself. :D
Wine is bottled poetry.

Adair

Post by Adair »

Loztralia wrote:I joined the junior mailing list after a cellar door last year and have yet to pull the trigger on any subsequent purchases. Much as I love the black shiraz and the idea of having access to BP, I'm not in a position to buy cases of wine I'm not crazy about in return for the far off possibility of gaining access to the big guns. However, I've enjoyed Rifle Range and Moppa Springs in the past (not so much Rod & Spur though I don't have extensive experience of any of the above, quite frankly).

So my question to the more experienced is... what is your opinion of the newer release second tier wines? I'm contemplating finding room in my budget for, say, half a dozen mixed of the 2008 Rifle Range and 2006 Moppa Springs - would I be wasting my money? I understand that the 2006 RR was pretty good and the 2007 RR and R&S much less so - how would the new iterations stack up?

Sorry for the requests - I'm trying to get a handle on whether this is something I want to devote limited budget to and I won't be back in SA till January so am shooting a bit in the dark...
For whatever you think it is worth, if you can wait two weeks, no doubt I will post my notes on most of the wines. In this time, I expect only the Vine Vale to have been sold out.
Wine is bottled poetry.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Mike Hawkins wrote:I'm in Oz for work and found time to get to the Barossa. It turned out my visit coincided with release day...

I am sure this was simply a coincidence......

Planning travel around wine? Unheard of.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

odyssey

Post by odyssey »

Michael McNally wrote:
Mike Hawkins wrote:I'm in Oz for work and found time to get to the Barossa. It turned out my visit coincided with release day...

Cheers

Michael

Work travel, no less...

Cheers :)
Andrew

rednut

Post by rednut »

Well did the Barossa pilgrimage last weekend thanks to my fellow workmates, great gift.

Saturday went to Eldertons and bought a bottle of Command Shiraz which I tried there and was very good.
Then to Greenock Creek, not much left only Alice's, Roenfeldt Road Shiraz and Seven Acre Shiraz. All nice as usual.
Rockfords next and a Stonewaller tasting and the usual purchases of BP, Black Shiraz and Alicante.
Turkey Flat next, nice range as always.
On the way home we had made an appointment to go to a new comer in the valley whose wines are in my views magnificent, Yelland and Papps is their name and they operate by appt only at the moment.
Love their Old Vine Grenache for $30 bottle and it is way underpriced in my opinion. They will be talked about soon enough.
Then home to Kaeslers to try their enjoyable range.

Tea in Kaeslers Restaurant Sat night was exceptional. Food first class. :lol:

Sunday chauffered van to Chateau Tanunda, Charlie Meltons then to Angaston to the Eden Valley Wine Tasting Centre to try near on 30 wines. You could do more but I was puffed out.

So a weekend of eating, drinking, buying and browsing. Very enjoyable especially with no kids.... :wink:
"A woman drove me to drink, and I'll be a son of a gun but I never even wrote to thank her" WC Fields

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

rednut wrote:
Sunday chauffered van to Chateau Tanunda, Charlie Meltons then to Angaston to the Eden Valley Wine Tasting Centre to try near on 30 wines. You could do more but I was puffed out.

Do you mean

A Taste of Eden?

Assuming so, great place, everyone should visit. Terrific range of wines, and the owner really knows her stuff!!!

Highly recommended!

regards

Gavin Trott

rednut

Post by rednut »

http://www.tasteedenvalley.com.au/

Sorry thats the place. Well worth a visit too.
"A woman drove me to drink, and I'll be a son of a gun but I never even wrote to thank her" WC Fields

Adair

Post by Adair »

Adair wrote:
Loztralia wrote:I joined the junior mailing list after a cellar door last year and have yet to pull the trigger on any subsequent purchases. Much as I love the black shiraz and the idea of having access to BP, I'm not in a position to buy cases of wine I'm not crazy about in return for the far off possibility of gaining access to the big guns. However, I've enjoyed Rifle Range and Moppa Springs in the past (not so much Rod & Spur though I don't have extensive experience of any of the above, quite frankly).

For whatever you think it is worth, if you can wait two weeks, no doubt I will post my notes on most of the wines. In this time, I expect only the Vine Vale to have been sold out.

Just quickly as I still have work to do... I received my mixed case of single bottles plus 3 Sparkling Black earlier this and have opened the BP yesterday and still some in the bottle and opened the otehr 2 today...
2008 Rockford Basket Press Shiraz - 14.5% - Nothing special here. My comments from last night stand... shows both masterful and poorly judged winemaking with excellent tannin control and palate length, but disjoined acid, combined with fruit from a very difficult vintage showing over-ripeness and slight diluteness. I liked the 2000 better so far. Simply can't recommend purchasing at $53. 90/100.
2010 Rockford Alicante Bouchet - 10% - I haven't had a bottle for a few years and I really should drink this wine with friends more. Ripe cherries but nothing cheap or overly sweet. In fact it is juicy and finishes dry. Really lovely. Bargain at $18, especially in this country's climate. 91/100.
2009 Rockford Frugal Farmer - 12.5% - my first bottle of this wine. Like the Alicante Bouchet, it is made to be an absolute quaffer but it is done so well that wine tragics like myself can enjoy it. Smooth and very juicy with hardly any noticeable tannin or acid but still remarkably controlled. Light/medium body but with depth. Sweet red and blue fruits on a harmonious framework of savoury goodness. Another bargain at $19.50. 92/100.

More to come next week...

Adair
Wine is bottled poetry.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Michael McNally wrote:

Cheers

Michael

I hope my boss doesn't check this board.......

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Adair wrote:
2008 Rockford Basket Press Shiraz - 14.5% - Nothing special here. My comments from last night stand... shows both masterful and poorly judged winemaking with excellent tannin control and palate length, but disjoined acid, combined with fruit from a very difficult vintage showing over-ripeness and slight diluteness. I liked the 2000 better so far. Simply can't recommend purchasing at $53. 90/100.

Thanks Adair. I agree with your comments regarding tannins - they were great. I didn't find anything wrong with the acid, and that's something I normally notice, nor did I find it over-ripe (I must point out that I had come straight from tasting the GC Roenfeldt Road shiraz which is an absolute monster, so perhaps that had some bearing on my evaluation). I actually thought it was really good given the vintage. OTOH, the 2000 for me was a showpony. It looked and smelled great but had no length whatsoever (by-product of that vintage of course).

Mike

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

There should be a slot available in the Stonewallers Club soon, I haven't bought for 3 years now, I think I'm finally over the whole Rockford thing...
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Adair

Post by Adair »

Red Bigot wrote:There should be a slot available in the Stonewallers Club soon, I haven't bought for 3 years now, I think I'm finally over the whole Rockford thing...

I think I understand your comments well Brian. Their reds have been taken over by a new breed. I think I would be too but I think their whites are the more authentic and romantic aspect of Rockford for me now, so I am still handing over the credit card details.

By the way, am I right in assuming that if the Rockford Black was under screwcap or at least with good corks that did not leak that you would still purchase?

Personally, I still think a bottle of Black with at least 5 years of age from disgorement is the most harmonious and balanced of the powerful Australian sparkling Burgundies, particularly now that the Show Reserve seems dead. I find the Primo too OTT.

Adair
Wine is bottled poetry.

gpk

Post by gpk »

Mike Hawkins wrote:
Adair wrote:

Thanks Adair. I agree with your comments regarding tannins - they were great. I didn't find anything wrong with the acid, and that's something I normally notice, nor did I find it over-ripe (I must point out that I had come straight from tasting the GC Roenfeldt Road shiraz which is an absolute monster, so perhaps that had some bearing on my evaluation). I actually thought it was really good given the vintage. OTOH, the 2000 for me was a showpony. It looked and smelled great but had no length whatsoever (by-product of that vintage of course).

Mike

I was in the Barossa on Wednesday and visited Rockford. I agree with the comments on the 08 BP, nothing was out of place, but I did find it to be boring compared to past vintages, if you know what I mean. Regardless I have faith in Rockford and bought my allocated 6 pack.

The 2010 Vine Vale Riesling I thought was sensational, beautiful floral nose with stone fruit characteristics, followed through with a zesty freshness typical of this wine from the Barossa valley.

The Flaxman SVS 2002 was also stunning. When I tried this back a few months ago it was very closed and tight. This bottle had been open for 24 hrs and seemed to make all the difference. The fruit was really showing through with supple oak and fine tannins.

Cheers Gerry

daz

Post by daz »

Red Bigot wrote:There should be a slot available in the Stonewallers Club soon, I haven't bought for 3 years now, I think I'm finally over the whole Rockford thing...

Never got into it myself, there are plenty of other equally good or better wines/wineries around that are cheaper. Same applies to Wendouree and Noon. I'm not into the "exclusivity" thing that some wineries use to enhance their somtimes exaggerated reputations.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

daz wrote:

Never got into it myself, there are plenty of other equally good or better wines/wineries around that are cheaper. Same applies to Wendouree and Noon. I'm not into the "exclusivity" thing that some wineries use to enhance their somtimes exaggerated reputations.

Noon is an aquired taste as they are more often than not high alcohol monsters. They need a few years to calm down a little. But to me, they are normally always well balanced and you don't really seem to notice the alcohol (they need to breathe for about a day).

As for there being wineries around that are cheaper, considering that Noon's Reserve wines are only $27 a bottle (big price rise 2 years ago from $25!) and the 12 bells is only $10, I don't think that there is better buying anywhere. 12 bells to me is the best $10 wine in the country. I would buy 2 dozen every year if they were available. A couple of years in the bottle and it is amazing. I don't know how Drew Noon does it.

Plus Drew Noon is one of the most genuine fellas in the industry. I have spoken to him many times and his enthusiasm for wine is hard to beat. His customer service is exemplary and he is just an all round good bloke.

I don't think you can put Noon in the same catagory as Rockford and Wendouree. I sent a letter a couple of years ago to Wendouree and they never even bothered replying. Several years ago I phoned Drew to try and get some of his wines and he rang me back 3 months later and offered me a dozen (once all his mail order customers were satisfied). He did this for a couple of years until I got on his mailing list. It is people like him and Rocky O'Callaghan that are the life blood of this industry and I know where my money goes every year, and it is not to some corporate behemoth such as Penfolds etc.

We need to support these smaller boutique wineries, or in the current climate there individual wines that often push the boundaries, will dissappear and be replaced by the formula wines of the big boys.
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

I really enjoy their reds etc and i can understand what people are talking about when you go to rockford cellar door , now i took my father along with me and he felt the staff werent present and were busy thinking about their to do lists that need to be done .

Also he thinks their was other wineries that gave a warmer feeling and he said hes not waiting 3 years to go on a mailer and then checked to see if you are buyinmg anything so you earn the right to but basket press , Our local has many brilliant reds for him to choose from as he samples all wines entering his shop and if their is something special then we get first dibs ,

On Friday night we had the pleasure of trying a red from the seppelts family now its a reserve red which was stunning and he has bought everybottle he could so he could feed his wine snobs .......................... :!: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i wish i could think of the name but mate it was good , yes better than rockford and will i still buy my allocation HELL YES :roll: Why Because its always a good well balanced red IMHO

Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

Billy Bolonski

Post by Billy Bolonski »

I don't buy Rockford, Noon, Wendouree etc. and expect I never will.

There are better wines out there, in Australia and the rest of the world.

I am more than happy to give my business to wineries who want me as a customer.
Philosophy, I'm in it for the money.

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

But Rockford, Wendouree, DRC, Petrus et al don't need your business - no offence. For most parts their premium wines are fully subscribed every year. So the whole paradigm shifts to the winemaker who decides who he will sell his wines too. Nice situation to be in - they can then decide based on their own altruistic beliefs. (loyalty, money, tradition etc).

Adair

Post by Adair »

Billy Bolonski wrote:I don't buy Rockford, Noon, Wendouree etc. and expect I never will.

Billy, whether there are better wines out there is subjective, but I think you are on a losing argument if you don't think that:
* Wendouree reds are unique and great for their style (whether you like them or not)
* Rockford Sparkling Black is unique and great for its style (whether you like them or not) (I don't believe Rockford Basket Press is greatly unique)
* Noon's wines are absolutely amazing value for their style (and some would argue great as well)

Adair
Wine is bottled poetry.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Hi Billy, Adair and others.
First post on the forum, and have really enjoyed reading the many wise words.
Monghead, your 1996 journey makes very good reading and have a few of the wines that you have mentioned. I was married in '92 which generally was crap everywhere. I only have about a dozen reds from that vintage.

Anyway onto the topic of the current post:

I get the whole Wendouree thing in terms for those who are not on the mailer as being boorish, exclusive and as Brian states you have to wait for someone to die. Or you can be be in the right place at the right time. In 1988, a mate of mine brought an 86 Shiraz (purchased from an Adelaide independent for $8.99) to dinner and after finding a wrench to reopen my mouth from the lip and cheek smacking acid and tannins, went to the retailer the next day and got the last 6. A couple of years later, I went to the winery and bought the 88 vintage wines (88 pressings is a belter) and got onto the mailer. I am fortunate to get a full allocation each year. Whilst some punters are critical in the way the whole green or red crayon or black signature works, production is some 2000 dozen only, could be oversubscribed by a factor of 10 and increases in price one to two dollars a vintage. I think Tony and Lita Brady do a really good job, always giving a written reply to my inquiries over the years.

I was curious of Noon because of its very small production and of the fact that a reserve wine was $25 when I first bought it!! The other factor is all of us are drawn by a crowd, and to see a line of several hundred people queueing for 3 bottles amazed me. Drew and Raegan Noon, much like the Brady's are patient and polite people, and after waiting for two years I got a lovely letter from Drew and a full allocation of 08 and 09 wines. I agree that 12 bells red is a wonderful drink for the money.

Rockford is a very different beast, it caters for the long term mailer order customer and the casual drop in visitor. Its annual production according to JH is 10+ times that of Wendouree and Noon combined, so their customer service may be a little indifferent. I have never encountered such problems and have always been looked after. I note the forums coments on 08 BP being a wine that has polarised opinion. I remember the 2000 being similar, but has turned into a very good wine.

Lke others when I visit Rockford this year i will buy my allocation of BP plus the rieslings and semillon. I am interested to see Ben Radfords influence on the wines. I think BP is a safe bet even in trying vintage conditions and note that $53 is pricey, but funny how many will buy the top end of town shiraz in poor vintages for 10 times the money. Guess they can always be flogged at auction.

I have no affiliation with any of these wineries, other than being an avid consumer.
Look forward to reading more views on the subject.

Cheers
Phillisc
Tomorrow will be a good day

Billy Bolonski

Post by Billy Bolonski »

Adair wrote:
Billy Bolonski wrote:I don't buy Rockford, Noon, Wendouree etc. and expect I never will.

Billy, whether there are better wines out there is subjective, but I think you are on a losing argument if you don't think that:
* Wendouree reds are unique and great for their style (whether you like them or not)
* Rockford Sparkling Black is unique and great for its style (whether you like them or not) (I don't believe Rockford Basket Press is greatly unique)
* Noon's wines are absolutely amazing value for their style (and some would argue great as well)

Adair

But there are so many 'unique' wines out there. I couldn't possibly hope to buy and drink all of them.

I've had all those wines, I've enjoyed them. None are irreplaceable in my cellar. In fact big SA reds are a shrinking minority.

If a winery doesn't need/want me as a customer then I am just as happy to buy from someone else.

Oh and don't get me started on the Rockford Sparkling Black corks.................... :evil:
Philosophy, I'm in it for the money.