New Zealand tasting what to look for?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Partagas

New Zealand tasting what to look for?

Post by Partagas »

Am going to a kiwi wine tasting tonight and wanted to know any opinions on anything I should look for in the mix. Although my knowledge of New Zealand wines is very limited I do know of some outstanding labels but not too sure about this list. Any help would be appreciated.

The list:
8 Ranges Wine, Babich Wines, Giesen Wines, Jackson Estate, Kim Crawford, Lawson's Dry Hills, No 1 Family Estate, Ohau Gravels, Ostler Vineyards, Oyster Bay New Zealand, Saint Clair Family Estate, Te Awa Winery, Three Miners Vineyards, Vavasour Wines, Villa Maria Estate, Wither Hills, Yealands Estate

Anything of interest????

Sam

Gary W

Re: New Zealand tasting what to look for?

Post by Gary W »

The door :)
GW

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Thought I had deja vu there ....

http://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11552

Cheers
TiggerK

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

If you like NZ Sauvignon Blanc , and more specifically Marlborough, then you're not going to be short on options in that lineup.

St Clair do in all honesty have a usually quite stunning range of single vineyard SB's that stand out from the pack. I'm also a bit of a fan of just about everything Villa Maria put in a bottle. IF they have any of the Villa Maria single vineyard wines on tasting, do try them.
Lawsons Dry Hills have made some really good aromatic whites in the past (Gris, Gewurz), so may be worth a poke.
Pinot Noir could be hit and miss. Wither Hills may be worth looking at ? As for most of the rest of those labels, just dive in and see what turns you on.
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

Gary W wrote:The door :)
GW

Haha yes thanks Gary. Unfortunately for me I live in boring old Perth so any event is an outing worth doing. I am more of a heavy Aussie style fan so I already know it’s probably not my cup of tea. However I can appreciate good wine for what it is. So here is hoping

Sam

pstarr

Post by pstarr »

How did this go?
Paul.