September is all about Riesling on the Auswine Forum

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
dlo

Re: September is all about Riesling on the Auswine Forum

Post by dlo »

pstarr wrote:
dlo wrote:A 1994 German last night - Maximin Grunhauser MSR Abtsberg Auslese Fuder 45 - with scrumptuous dumplings at dinner with friends at a very classy Chinese restaurant. Beautiful wine, still an incredible limey green colour, magnificent aromatics of lime, peach and guava with some haunting slatey/petrolly top notes followed by an equally impressive palate showing amazing purity of similarly-etched ripe fruit and a clean, tight and crisp acid-laden finish. About 93 points and will last for at least another decade and a half if well-stored. Quite brilliant sweet Auslese.

That was a stonking wine, David. Could have sworn there was gewurtz in there.

Yes, Paul, and looked so fresh and lively for a 16 year old! Thanks for a top night.
Cheers,

David

perth740

Post by perth740 »

Hi every body,
I'm seeking for st like "welschriesling(Austrian Riesling)" . Do you know any similar here?

dlo

Post by dlo »

Incredible game at the G today. The 100,00 stunned mullets at the ground when the final siren rang out was a very strange moment that I'll never forget. I've been polishing off the remnants of the 2002 (Watervale) and 2003 (Eden) Leonay Riesling's that have been sitting in fridge for I don't know how long! Both still sensational drinking, although the 2003 Eden is just starting to lose some freshness but has not oxidised one iota. The Watervale still worthy of an incredible 95 points, 6 days after being opened (see my notes above in this thread) and the Eden, 93, almost two weeks after being exposed to oxygen! Only a few days to go before we finish this month's wine focus. Anyone else enjoying a good Riesling in this wonderful Spring weather?
Cheers,

David

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

So whats October going to be about? They do the same sort of thing every month on the WLDG Board, it seems to work well,

dlo

Post by dlo »

I reckon go Hunter Semillon or, if the 2010 NZ's are out and about, even, Sauvignon Blanc. :roll: Any ideas?
Cheers,

David

bob parsons

Post by bob parsons »

Correct, WLDG has over 6 pages of tasting notes on Rieslings this month. Many German wines of course but also Canada, New York Finger Lakes, some exceptional Oz whites too from forumites who live here! The `07 Rocky Gully was terrific, have the `03 Petaluma ready to go but tonite the `05 Grosset Watervale Riesling which I purchased for $24 Cdn. A local restaurant is clearing out some slow movers, grin wink.
I tried to hunt down some Leo Buring but no luck at all.

Mark Carrington

Post by Mark Carrington »

• 2007 Jacob's Creek Riesling Steingarten - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Eden Valley (9/27/2010)
    Faint spritz; wet wool, slatey, phenolic, kerosene; dry, forward, good weight, overt presence of pretrol; much more approachable than the '05. (90 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

2010 Skillogalee Riesling (Clare). I was delighted with the 2009s, and purchased most of a case of 2010 recently. The 2010 is a little leaner than the 2009, but still with that intense lime juice and acid. The finish seems a little shorter, too, but perhaps this is a less forward wine that will evolve for longer. Certainly the winery themselves seem to think that 2010 is better than 2009 (or maybe that's just what they tell us to sell wine :) )

2003 Madew Riesling (Canberra). My last bottle, and I had initial concerns when the screwcap was hard to open (rusted). The wine itself was fine, however, still pale and yellow. No kero, and just lovely lemon and floral characters (does combining the two result in lemon blossom?) with a medium length. A hint (or perhaps more than a hint) of residual sugar has probably been no bad thing for its ageing. I wish I had more of this one.

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.