Brisbane Offline. Late July/Early August

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
gpk

Re: Brisbane Offline. Late July/Early August

Post by gpk »

Rednick wrote:That's a shame Gerry - we'll have to squeeze in another before Chrimbo!

gpk wrote:Guy's, I will be back at work for the month of Sep and not able to make it. Have a great night, have never been to Brent's and wish I could have made it....maybe the next one. Cheers Gerry

thanks rednick, hopefully the work schedule will work in with the next one (50% chance as always), but I am home for chissy this year....also always up for an informal get together if anyone is ever up the sunhine coast hinterland way.

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

Hey guys

Is it two weeks tonite at Brents?

Has someone booked it - do we have our final numbers?

What are we doing about the wines? If we drink half as well as we did last time, I'll be pleased.

I've got to be careful dragging wines down from here but thought I might bring down an old Wendouree cabernet and an old race horse port or something to warm up the nite. I have plently of other old classics but stirring them up in a car on a 700km journey may be asking too much. If you'd prefer I have a small collection of NZ pinots, some beautiful old La Testa's, maybe an RWT or an old riesling or 2......

HELP

cheers

Luke
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

Rednick

Post by Rednick »

Hi Luke,

Yup two weeks from tonight, restaurant is booked and I'll be confirming numbers by the Monday before (20th),

Do we get to meet the better half? As for wine I'm sure whatever you bring will be great - but I'll happily drink NZ pinot as I'm a bit strange that way.

Cheers - Nick

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

Thanks Nick

I don't think that Janine will make it as she has a big day at work and will now fly down on the Saturday. I'll try and get my brother to show but will let you know in a few days.

So, I'll bring a fabulous pinot then if that's OK with everyone????
cheers

Luke
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

daz

Post by daz »

I'm looking forward to reports of the evening. Brent's wine service is very good+.

rens

Post by rens »

Love a good Pinot Luke. Are we still going with the wine that has a story theme?
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

Hi Rens

I'll have to bring a pinot and another wine with a good story unless you want to here the story of the mayor of Queenstown telling Janine and i to rack off out of his town (just prior to us spending many hundreds of $$ just down the road in Gibbston Valley and Bannockburn)......

I can think of another wine that has a good story and is very rare and wonderful which I may bring as well.

Nick, I'm sorry there'll just be me, my brother's birthday is the day before and he reckons he'll already have a hangover.....
See you soon guys

Luke
Peynaud

Rednick

Post by Rednick »

No worries Luke, I'm afraid my story telling will be rather feeble - nothing compared to your Queenstown escapades :-)

Nick

Rednick

Post by Rednick »

A quick reminder to start locking in partners, friends etc

Nick+1
Michael+1 (maybe +3)
Luke
Rens+1
Chillwrx + 2

I'd like to give Brent's the final numbers on Monday if I could, to make life easier on them - I'll also check the menus at that stage.

Still at 10 confirmed at the moment, should be a cracker.

Cheers - Nick

rens

Post by rens »

I agree. Can't wait.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Hi all

I am a +3.

I will bring the 1991 Wynns Centenary (forum wine) and a 2002 Marius Single Vineyard Shiraz (story). I'll ask Tony what he is bringing and post later.

What are others bringing (anticipation is part of the experience!)

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

chillwrx

Post by chillwrx »

Michael McNally wrote:Hi all

I am a +3.

I will bring the 1991 Wynns Centenary (forum wine) and a 2002 Marius Single Vineyard Shiraz (story). I'll ask Tony what he is bringing and post later.

What are others bringing (anticipation is part of the experience!)

Cheers

Michael

I am +2.

I am bringing a mid/late nineties GSM for the story and will source a white of class as my second (wifes wine) wine. Not sure what my wifes friend will be bringing.

rens

Post by rens »

Wifee is bringing a 2008 Woori Yallock.
I'm bringing an old Cab Shiraz (story) and a back up in case it is stuffed. Sadly the back up has no story other than it being the back up...

Rednick

Post by Rednick »

Excellent - so 12 confirmed for next Friday at 7pm.

Nick+1
Michael+3
Luke
Rens+1
Chillwrx+2

We will need to go from the functions menu which is $70 per head + corkage, I'll check with Brents to see if the menu is still current http://www.brentsrestaurant.com.au/assets/pdf/function_info.pdf & to also arrange a vegetarian option.

I'll be bringing an 01 GSM (not much of a story but I will try) & a white of some description.

Should be a cracking, night - see you all next Friday - Nick

Rednick

Post by Rednick »

All confirmed, yes the menu is still current & I've made sure there will be a vege option.

Cheers

Nick

rens

Post by rens »

Thanks Nick
Any decisions as to which function package we want. The middle one ($80/head) looks good for me.
Thoughts?

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

Hey guys

I'm happy to go along with whatever you choose menu wise. I'm bringing a pinot from Central Otago we most liked (even more than the Felton Rd's) and the other one is a surprise (a hint - Bradley's Gold Book has it at around $150 a bottle and I can guarantee that none of you have tried it so its not an old Debortoli Sem/Chardy Mick!)

Luke
Peynaud

rens

Post by rens »

rens wrote:Thanks Nick
Any decisions as to which function package we want. The middle one ($80/head) looks good for me.
Thoughts?

Sorry I see the $70/ head. now that I've read your post again nick. Just ignore me.
Rens

Michael McNally

Tony just rang. He is working on surgery list tomorrow that looks like it might be a long one and is concernd he may be a late scratching. He will let me know some time in the afternoon. He doesn't want to cancel outright when he is a chance of making it.

If he comes he will bring a 2001 Best's Bin '0' (I think he brought the 03 to the last one) and a Mornington Chardonnay.

See you all tomorrow night.

Michael

Rednick

Post by Rednick »

No worries Michael, if you can let me know either way this arvo so I can give Brent's a heads up - if he can't make it I think we'll still need to stick to the function menu to be fair to the restaurant.

Cheers - Nick

chillwrx

Post by chillwrx »

We are down to two - our guest has just pulled out with the flu.

She had raided her exes grange collection two.... My wines are an 06 Carillon Puligny Montrachet and a 96 Holy Trinity from Grant Burge.

Rednick

Post by Rednick »

Thx for the update Chillwrx - Michael, any news on Tony - Brent's have left a message asking for a confirmation of our numbers tonight - thx, Nick

Michael McNally

Hey Nick

No, no news as yet (which I think is good news - if he was really running behind hopefully he would have let me know). I think we just be up front with them and say we have two more that we think/hope are coming but cannot be sure until later - the truth!

Cheers

Michael

Rednick

Post by Rednick »

Sounds like a plan - thanks Michael - see you around 7.

Cheers - Nick

Michael McNally

Nick, you don't appear to be online so I will call the restaurant myself. Tony is going to be stuck at work and are out, as is my +1. Not only that, our babysitter (my Dad) is crook. I am terribly sorry for the late notice.

Cheers

Michael

rens

Post by rens »

Great wine, Great food, Great company. Very good night. Michael promises to post some notes. Over to you Michael... :D

daz

Post by daz »

rens wrote:Great wine, Great food, Great company. Very good night. Michael promises to post some notes. Over to you Michael... :D

Looking forward to the reports of the evening. Brent's does a great job of both food and service, the company defines the night and I'm sure it was convivial. It's pleasing to see that Brisbane can organise a function comprised of more than three people........... :P

Michael McNally

Hi Daz

Report is here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11544

Cheers

Michael

daz

Post by daz »

Thanks Michael. Naturally, I read your TNs of the wines but am still interested in more details of the food and service. I was particularly impressed with the service at Brent's on the one occasion I've been there in company with Allan (The Water's Friend) and the lovely Sue. The food was very good too! The beef cheek dish sounded interesting to me, not having tried this piece of meat before.

Cheers

daz