Sunday Drinking Reports

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Wayno

Sunday Drinking Reports

Post by Wayno »

It's Sunday again.

What has everyone been imbibing, savouring, swigging, sipping or quaffing?

For me:

Voyager Estate Chardonnay 2005
In harmonious, singing form. I've had a couple of these in the past and found them to be on the tired side of average whereas this was rich and lemony, plenty of oak (quite obvious on night 1), with a much mellower and rounded figure by night 2. Great length, terrific line, classy - top Aussie chardonnay.

Brook Eden Pinot Noir 2005
Another wine that's shown mixed results - despite the untidy festoon of gold medals, I found this to be unattractively tart when young although a year ago, it seemed to be showing well - full and complex with plenty of varietal nuance. Last night's bottle was a bit thin and weedy. Fine but not memorable.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Craig(NZ)

Re: Sunday Drinking Reports

Post by Craig(NZ) »

02 Petaluma Hanlin Hill Riesling. Perhaps opened on an occassion not so suited to this type of wine, but plenty of life left in this baby and its complexity is developing well. Lovely structure and poise.

04 Daniel Schuster Omhi Hills Pinot Noir - Quite a light coloured Pinot. Strawberry jam and hot cross bun on the nose. The palate is surprisingly powerful given the light colour of this wine. Plenty of complextity an amalgum of baking spice, red cherry, plum etc. This wine was stored well. Taking that into account it really is still quite youthful. I would expect it to continue and improve for 3-4 years

08 Villa Maria Fletcher Vineyard Riesling. A very good lunch wine, clean, pure and easy to drink. Maybe it has lost a touch of the pizzaz it had a year ago but still yum

08 Villa Maria Omahu Gravels Viognier. Probably NZ's best label of this variety? Lovely textured and rich wine. Does not have the raw mess of flavours so many NZ viogniers have. Nice complexity. A little high on the alcohol but carried well.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Brookland Valley 2001 Verse 1 Margaret River Cabernet Merlot. Drinking pefectly now and boxing above its weight. Gad I love MR cabs and blends.

Penfolds 1997 St Henri. Not a great vintage but a good aged shiraz. Surprisingly sweetly fruited and right in its drinking window. Nose reminded me slightly of Grange.

O'leary Walker 2008 Watervale Riesling. Don't know why but I'm losing interest in riesling. Perhaps its a summer wine.

Little Creatures Pale Ale. First tasted this in Perth and was very impressed. My sort of beer.

Courvoisier XO Cognac. Last balloon by the fire last night in the blackout. Actually prefer Hennessy VSOP. Cheaper too!

Chuck
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

reschsmooth

Post by reschsmooth »

2008 Champy Burgogne Pinot Noir

Soft with a touch of oak and some spices.

2004 Penfolds Bin 28 Shiraz

Still some stone fruit and black pepper. Long finish.

2007 Contessa d'Aragon Rosata

Ok, spelling is probably way off, but a light rose to have with baked pears. Not typically my scene, but nice.

daz

Post by daz »

A few cheapies as follows but also more Rosabrook MR cab 07 - mmmm, mmmm, it's won me and is probably just about level-pegging with Tahbilk cab 06 as my best value cab for the year to date in the about $15 bracket.

Annie's Lane Clare Valley Riesling 2009 Straw colour with a greenish tinge, I somehow expected it to be a shade lighter. Lemon/lime bouquet with a hint of perfume. The palate is all about the fruit, it's juicy with mouthfilling citrus, very slight sweetness and nice acid balance that provides a satisfying dry finish with good length. Medium term cellaring proposition for those so inclined. I'll probably get some more for current consumption at the bargain price of <$7.90 - it's a nice riesling that rests comfortably in my style preference for this variety.

Annie's Lane Shiraz 2008 The bouquet is attractive with rasberry and brambly black fruits, a waft of cedar oak. It lost me on the palate. There's some nice fruit there, black plums/cherries, a bit of aniseed but it's buried under a shitload of excessive acid. Even at the same price as the riesling, I'd only buy another bottle to put away to see if the acid may soften in a few years time for it to achieve better balance and at this stage I'd knock 5-6pts off Halliday's 93pts. It didn't move much after about half of the bottle spending 24 hours or so in the fridge.

De Bortoli Sacred Hill Chardonnay 2009 This is an easy-drinking chardie that's also easy on the wallet. It's varietal, has a bit of oak, hasn't been much worked in the winery, as one would expect at the price. Perhaps a little riper than the 08, in quality it reflects the bronze medals on the label from Perth, Adelaide and Hobart. My go-to chard as a daily drinker.

Cheers

daz

via collins

Post by via collins »

"O'leary Walker 2008 Watervale Riesling. Don't know why but I'm losing interest in riesling. Perhaps its a summer wine."

Where are you Chuck?

For some reason, i had you on australian timeline. Either way, I hear ya - I recall a point last summer where I thought I'd had enough riesling. Now as we teeter on the edge of spring, I can't wait to crack the whites without being sneered at - bring them on.

As winter refuses to leave:

2006 Marius Symposium shiraz mouvedre. I was enjoying this wine immensely, then made the mistake of googling it, and reading Gary Walsh describe it as a "gladiator relaxing at an orgy." So, I have a luxurious mouthfull of rich, Spanish tasting red wine on a wet winter's night, and a stupid grin that won't quit. Sensational wine, if I diodn't have so many 06 Avatars put away, I'd be hankering for more of this. Juice-i-licious.

1999 Mastroberardino Radici Taurasi - After a few hours decanting, a really bold mushroomy forest floory nose, generous body, and some cherry variant on the palate, and a short finish. This is 100% aglianico, and comes with big wraps. It went well enough with beef bourgignon, but I shan't be revisiting

2006 Rolf Binder Christa Shiraz grenache. Noice. Good.

Man, I loved that Sympsosium, and figure there's only a week or two left for muscular red wines...

monghead

Post by monghead »

2008 Petaluma Riesling- Very Good
2000 Mount Langi Ghiran Langi Shiraz- Very Good
2008 Wynns Cabernet Shiraz Merlot- Just Good
2007 Paringa Estate Pinot Noir- Just Good

Monghead.

Sean O'Sullivan

Post by Sean O'Sullivan »

deleted
Last edited by Sean O'Sullivan on Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

With dinner at a friends place with Roscoe last Saturday...

Gimonnet Fleuron 2002 Champagne: Pleasant blanc de blanc style, quite toasty. I think I prefer a mix of pinot to round out the flavour profile. Nontheless, a very enjoyable way to start the evening.

McWilliams Elizabeth Semillon 2000(?): Well developed, but a tad short on the finish.

Wendouree Cab/Malbec 1987: (tasted blind) One sniff gave away the Wendouree/Clare terroir, but then I got confused once I tasted the wine as it had lost all it's primary components; I had no idea if it was cabernet or shiraz based, but it drank smoothly with just a hint of the eucalypt that Wendouree's are known for.

Chateau Laroque 1990 St Emilion: Primarily merlot based and smooth without being outstanding in any way. Recent auction purchase, perhaps not the best provenance.

Wynns Coonawarra Black Label Cab Sauv 1990: WOTN for everyone. Still very primary and quite masculine. Quite a contrast to the Bordeaux. The oft quoted "Iron fist in a velvet glove" springs to mind with this wine. This will live for at least another decade. Pity it was baldie's last one.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

daz wrote:Annie's Lane Shiraz 2008 The bouquet is attractive with rasberry and brambly black fruits, a waft of cedar oak. It lost me on the palate. There's some nice fruit there, black plums/cherries, a bit of aniseed but it's buried under a shitload of excessive acid. Even at the same price as the riesling, I'd only buy another bottle to put away to see if the acid may soften in a few years time for it to achieve better balance and at this stage I'd knock 5-6pts off Halliday's 93pts. It didn't move much after about half of the bottle spending 24 hours or so in the fridge.

Cheers

daz

I was at a barn yesterday and this was under $8 per bottle (under $7 in a 6bb). I almost bought six, but bought one to try instead. I agree with your assessment Daz, but I think you are being a little kind as I couldn't really find any fruit under the acid at all. It just had "short, generic red wine flavour". Pleased I didn't buy six, but I am more than a little disappointed as AL used to be a reasonable $10-12 wine with some quality at the price point. Now it's barely drinkable.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

qwertt

Post by qwertt »

Michael McNally wrote:
daz wrote:Annie's Lane Shiraz 2008 The bouquet is attractive with rasberry and brambly black fruits, a waft of cedar oak. It lost me on the palate. There's some nice fruit there, black plums/cherries, a bit of aniseed but it's buried under a shitload of excessive acid. Even at the same price as the riesling, I'd only buy another bottle to put away to see if the acid may soften in a few years time for it to achieve better balance and at this stage I'd knock 5-6pts off Halliday's 93pts. It didn't move much after about half of the bottle spending 24 hours or so in the fridge.

Cheers

daz

I was at a barn yesterday and this was under $8 per bottle (under $7 in a 6bb). I almost bought six, but bought one to try instead. I agree with your assessment Daz, but I think you are being a little kind as I couldn't really find any fruit under the acid at all. It just had "short, generic red wine flavour". Pleased I didn't buy six, but I am more than a little disappointed as AL used to be a reasonable $10-12 wine with some quality at the price point. Now it's barely drinkable.

Cheers

Michael

I didn't bother with this one. At $7.50 or below and having offloaded the Leasingham winery (correct me someone if I'm wrong) I think this brand is in the process of being dumbed down. There is some great stuff out there that is almost as cheap and will give greater satisfaction.

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Hacker wrote:With dinner at a friends place with Roscoe last Saturday...

Gimonnet Fleuron 2002 Champagne: Pleasant blanc de blanc style, quite toasty. I think I prefer a mix of pinot to round out the flavour profile. Nontheless, a very enjoyable way to start the evening.

McWilliams Elizabeth Semillon 2000(?): Well developed, but a tad short on the finish.

Wendouree Cab/Malbec 1987: (tasted blind) One sniff gave away the Wendouree/Clare terroir, but then I got confused once I tasted the wine as it had lost all it's primary components; I had no idea if it was cabernet or shiraz based, but it drank smoothly with just a hint of the eucalypt that Wendouree's are known for.

Chateau Laroque 1990 St Emilion: Primarily merlot based and smooth without being outstanding in any way. Recent auction purchase, perhaps not the best provenance.

Wynns Coonawarra Black Label Cab Sauv 1990: WOTN for everyone. Still very primary and quite masculine. Quite a contrast to the Bordeaux. The oft quoted "Iron fist in a velvet glove" springs to mind with this wine. This will live for at least another decade. Pity it was baldie's last one.

Thanks for the write-up David.
A lovely night.
Luckily I have two or three of the Wynns BL 90 left. :D
"It is very hard to make predictions, especially about the future." Samuel Goldwyn

rens

Post by rens »

2008 Saltram Mamre Brook Cab
2008 Saltram Mamre Brook Shiraz

Both very nice wines and a good qpr at $20. Tasted both over 2 nights. I defy anyone to tell the difference between the Shiraz and Cab. The wine's style overwhelms the varietal characters. I'd discribe them as Barossan before I'd call either by their varietal names. Still, could not resist putting three of each in the cellar.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Son number one's 19th......
Lindemans Hunter River Reserve Steven Vineyard Bin 8225 Shiraz 1991
A classic old Hunter. Pale, red brown, leading into a typical leathery earthy nose with a touch of berry fruit still lingering. Palate was medium bodied with the same characters, long, and with tannins fully resolved. Excellent. Drink now but will hold a few years without improving.
"It is very hard to make predictions, especially about the future." Samuel Goldwyn

Peter NZ

Post by Peter NZ »

Newton Forrest Cornerstone Cabernet Merlot Malbec 2000

Goldwater Cabernet Merlot 1999

Newton-Forrest noticeably the better of the two, a rich,wonderfully integrated wine -- oak is no longer as prominent as it once was, & while it's drinking beautifully now, it's got plenty of life left. The Goldwater was noticenably more aged, & I'd have thought it excellent if I'd not been drinking it alongside the N-F.

Cheers
Peter

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

01 Jacobs creek Johann shi/cab
[b]94 Orlando Lawsons Shiraz mmmmmm Still in good nick but i am drinking them up

Regards Dazza
[/b][/b]
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

via collins wrote:"O'leary Walker 2008 Watervale Riesling. Don't know why but I'm losing interest in riesling. Perhaps its a summer wine."

Where are you Chuck?

For some reason, i had you on australian timeline. Either way, I hear ya - I recall a point last summer where I thought I'd had enough riesling. Now as we teeter on the edge of spring, I can't wait to crack the whites without being sneered at - bring them on.

Right here hunkered down in cold wet and miserable Adelaide with a serious dose of cabin fever. This has been the worst winter I can remember in the 20 years we have been here and can relate to those laplanders who have the highest incidence of depression.

Bring on the sun!! Yeh bring it on please!!! You know that yellow thing that usually hangs in the sky and make riesling so nice to drink with a piece of fresh flathead, crust bread and salad! Please.

Chuck
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Here, here Chuck

Enjoyed one of the Reynell Cleanskin Shiraz 05s last night. Bargainous wine. Concentrated and inky: meat stock, soy, plums, decent oak. As good as $10 buys you, I reckon.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Sharkey

Post by Sharkey »

Wayno wrote:Enjoyed one of the Reynell Cleanskin Shiraz 05s last night. Bargainous wine. Concentrated and inky: meat stock, soy, plums, decent oak. As good as $10 buys you, I reckon.

Coincidentally, I opened one of these on Monday night to have with home made pizza. Agree totally with your assessment Wayno. I finished it off the following night and it had softened a little bit. I think it's got some years left in it if I don't drink them all first.
Sharkey

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

via collins wrote:2006 Marius Symposium shiraz mouvedre. I was enjoying this wine immensely, then made the mistake of googling it, and reading Gary Walsh describe it as a "gladiator relaxing at an orgy." So, I have a luxurious mouthfull of rich, Spanish tasting red wine on a wet winter's night, and a stupid grin that won't quit. Sensational wine, if I diodn't have so many 06 Avatars put away, I'd be hankering for more of this. Juice-i-licious.

Man, I loved that Sympsosium, and figure there's only a week or two left for muscular red wines...

Thanks for the reminder. Haven't had one of these for a while but had a bottle over two nights (375ml bottle put aside). Great gear. Fantastic fruit and great length. Muscular is a good term. Slightly better second night which bodes well for remaining 3 bottles.......

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis