Coonawarra Roadshow in Perth tonight....

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Stavros

Coonawarra Roadshow in Perth tonight....

Post by Stavros »

Heads up....

http://www.coonawarra.org/uploaded_file ... _Flyer.pdf

P.S anybody do any of the other city legs? and if so, what the "specials" to look out for ?

Cheers S

odyssey

Re: Coonawarra Roadshow in Perth tonight....

Post by odyssey »

Too many to list but the 6:30pm special at Wynns in Sydney was a 1999 John Riddoch... The 13 barrel series are interesting if you talk the wineries into giving you a taste, even if buying them is a bit of a pipe dream. The Katnook one was seriously good. 2002 Patrick T is good of course. Not much of a fan of the 2006 though.

Cheers

Dave Dewhurst

Post by Dave Dewhurst »

For me , enjoyed some of the older stuff too. The 2001 Katnook Estate Cab Sav was awesome. Parker Coonawarra 01 First Growth was good too. I liked Hillbank, both 02 and 04 although I thought the latter had the edge. A 91 Redman Cab Sav and a 2001 Blend (called simply The Redman as far as I remember) were prety good too. Of the more recent vintages, Hollick's wines impressed me the most.

Cheers

Dave

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

The most outstanding wine of last night was easily for me 1998 Petaluma Coonawarra. Awesome wine with life left a plenty.

The Katnook Odyssey was disappointing due to an unusual mineral oil flavour profile. Couldn’t get past it even with a third try. Not sure if it was only me.

Other good wines of the night were 2001 Katnook cabsav, 2000 Majella cabsav, 2000 or 2001 Parker first growth, 1999 John Riddoch, ? Redman cabsav.

I think the gap between Margaret river and Coonawarra cabernet is now approaching. Just came back from a weekend away down south and I think the overall quality of Margs is generally shining out over Coonawarra by quite a bit lately. This is from low to high end but is always subjective no doubt and maybe only my opinion.

Sam

Stavros

Post by Stavros »

Good show last night and my how a year down the track can change so much. i remember at last years show, being
dissappointed with so many wines that were underripe/green and very herbaceous.

great to see all of the wineries bringing along a back vintage or two, with plenty to like there including the Petaluma 1998
Coonawarra and 1992 Merlot ( still aas fresh as and bright). the Majella 2000 Riddoch 1999, Parker 2000 1st growth and
the Balnaves 2001 Tally (superb).

Too many good wines to remember, but the one's that have "stuck" this morning are:

Wine of the night: Balnaves the Tally 2008, closely followed by the Balnaves 2008 Cab Sav.

Others:
Wynn's 2008 Black label
Wynns 2008 V & A Cab Shiraz
Majella 2008 CS
Balnaves of Coonawarra Sparkling Cabernet
Lindemans Limestone Ridge Shiraz Cabernet 2008
Yalumba The Cigar Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon 2008
Penley Phoenix 2008 Cab Sav (good QPR..Quaffer).
Penley Chertsey vintage?
Brands Patron.

Cheers S

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

Yes would agree with Balnaves CS and Tally being very good. 2001 Tally being extra good. Slipped my hazzy mind this morning.

odyssey

Post by odyssey »

Stavros wrote:Good show last night and my how a year down the track can change so much. i remember at last years show, being
dissappointed with so many wines that were underripe/green and very herbaceous.

Totally agreed. To date I have not had a single 2007 Coonawarra I have enjoyed (I am a herbaceousness nazi)... the differences were as stark as night and day when comparing side by side to 2008. The 2007 Tally is bizarre and underripe in comparison to the lovely 2008.

Partagas wrote:The Katnook Odyssey was disappointing due to an unusual mineral oil flavour profile. Couldn’t get past it even with a third try. Not sure if it was only me.

Agreed, disappointing to say the least and super oaked.

tpang

Post by tpang »

Can anyone remember the vintage of the Katnook Odyssey that was on show?

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

I think it was the 05 in Brisbane, but don't quote me on it.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis