Sunday yet again

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Wayno

Sunday yet again

Post by Wayno »

Another Sunday... another fleeting speckle in the grand majesty of time and space.

What better way to watch the disappointing shambles of the Australian political system sundered in twain than an appropriately politically themed...

Yalumba Signature (2002)
Far more appealing than the televised outcomes, all milk chocolate, varnished oak, terrific length. Cabernet poking out quite prominently. A little more jammy than I remember but a very good wine all the same. Classy, compact and refined.

An 09 Primo Ill Bricone Sangiovese Shiraz was also enjoyed; a rather more rustic beast than the Signature but very good also.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Craig(NZ)

Re: Sunday yet again

Post by Craig(NZ) »

2005 Ch Senejac. This isn't a bad wine but it doesn't move heaven and earth. Perfect levels of ripeness though. I tried to look up the make up of this wine but couldnt find it. Seems to show obviously cabernet sauvignon but also franc with marmite tones among the more dark fruited cabernet. Obvious but warm and fine tannins. Not sure it is going anywhere. Maybe a sign that we paid too much for this vintage even as futures. ive popped 3 of my cheaper 2005's so far and only one of them i thought was a good buy. Will just have to be patient and await the classified growths

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Craig(NZ) wrote:2005 Ch Senejac. This isn't a bad wine but it doesn't move heaven and earth. Perfect levels of ripeness though. I tried to look up the make up of this wine but couldnt find it. Seems to show obviously cabernet sauvignon but also franc with marmite tones among the more dark fruited cabernet. Obvious but warm and fine tannins. Not sure it is going anywhere. Maybe a sign that we paid too much for this vintage even as futures. ive popped 3 of my cheaper 2005's so far and only one of them i thought was a good buy. Will just have to be patient and await the classified growths

Senejac's website is a real pain to try and read - no English option, and it seems to re-set itself just when you're about to get some useful information off it. :evil:

Anyway (because I have a magnum of the 1989), with a lot of patience/stubborness, this is what I gathered from it (and maybe another source or two):

Chateau Sénéjac is the property of the Cordier sisters who also own Chateau Talbot. The vineyard managed by Alfred Tesserton’s team at Pontet Canet, hence the uplift in quality in recent years, and is now biodynamically farmed. The property located in Haut Medoc (Graves) is about 150ha in size, of which 39ha are planted to vines. The vineyard is comprised of 48% Cabernet Sauvignon, 37% Merlot, 11% Cabernet Franc & 4% Petit Verdot, with an average vine age of 35 years old. The wine is matured in 30% new oak barrels for 12-15 months, and about 200,000 bottles of the Grand Vin is usually made each year.

Hope this is of some interest,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

With Duane & Bec's move to Blewitt springs, I bought a couple of dozen off him so there's less stuff to shift: :wink:

2003 Coates Organically Grown McLaren Vale Shiraz (cork): Still a strong very dark to almost inky red. The nose is very ripe, full of maraschino cherries, liquorice, apricot and noticeable EA (nail polish remover) lift; the palate is medium-weight, mineraly and clean with sweet cherries, and while there’s no jamminess or alcohol heat/warmth (14.5%) it does pull up a little short for my liking. It reminds me a bit of the 1995 Reynell Shiraz - a good drinker early, but it needs to be drunk soon.

2005 Coates The Gimp McLaren Vale Langhorne Creek Shiraz (DIAM): Medium to very dark (almost inky) red/purple. Toasty/fireplace oak, cherries and plums, later on some creamy vanilla, black tea and kirsch. Soft entry followed by a sweet, medium-weight palate full of cherries backed by malty oak, finishing with great length and soft powdery tannins. Drinking very well right now, and will hold some time yet.

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

2004 Capel Vale Whispering Hill Riesling: Pretty much at its peak now, still with some primary lemon and floral characters, but complemented by developed honey and a touch of toast. A faint whiff of kero on opening, which disappeared on pouring. Really at the crossover point, where the fruit is complemented by the secondary development and not swallowed by it. Just where I like it :D

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

rooman

Post by rooman »

Friday night, a Petaluma Coonawarra Red 2001. This is truly an elegant wine. It took about 4-5 hours to start strutting its stuff and come to the party but when it did, I was very glad I had held some back as the evening went on. Super fine, silky tannins, just north of medium bodied, cassis and red berry fruit. After 5 hours it was just starting to take on the additional depth you would expect from a good Petaluma.

Last night was more about the steak. I saw on the SBS Italian Safari show recently, an episode about Blackmores Wagu Beef. Having searched the web, I discovered I could buy it from Vics Meats twice a month on a Saturday morning. So yesterday, I duly headed off to the Mascot factory in search of what is reputed to be the best Wagu steaks sold in Australia. $65 kg later, I was home with two amazing wagu steaks in hand. Now to be honest up until last night, I have never really got Wagu, I have just thought it was overrated Sirloin. Last night was however an epiphany. I have never seen marbling like this before in a steak. After a brief interaction with the bbq and served with a cut down version of Cafe de Paris butter, Lisette and I both agreed they were the most amazing steaks either of us had ever tried. Oh and the wine was a St Hugo Cab Sav 1998. A perfect match for what were two stunning pieces of meat.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Last night was our daughter's 18th birthday party and with 90-100 invited a mate and I manned the front gate on crowd control duty. Luckily no issues although we did have a professional wrestler to call on. Big guy with that don't argue air about him. To keep ourselves amused we tasted a few wines:

Ben Glaetzer's 2007 Wallace Siraz Grenache. Lovely savoury style. Deserved food.

Samuel Gorge 200? Tempranillo. Again a savoury style and quite interesting.

Yalumba Galway Pipe Tawny. Old bottling and a good example of how tawnys can improve with age. Good fortification on a chilly night.

On Friday night the family dinner celebration at Parisi's a very good Italian restaurant in Hyde Park Adelaide we enjoyed a Chain of Ponds 2003 The Ledge Adelaide Hills/Mc Laren Vale Shiraz. A good effort from a difficult vintage with just a little too much oak. Drink up.

Chuck
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Sean O'Sullivan

Post by Sean O'Sullivan »

deleted
Last edited by Sean O'Sullivan on Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean O'Sullivan

Post by Sean O'Sullivan »

deleted
Last edited by Sean O'Sullivan on Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monghead

Post by monghead »

rooman wrote:Friday night, a Petaluma Coonawarra Red 2001. This is truly an elegant wine. It took about 4-5 hours to start strutting its stuff and come to the party but when it did, I was very glad I had held some back as the evening went on. Super fine, silky tannins, just north of medium bodied, cassis and red berry fruit. After 5 hours it was just starting to take on the additional depth you would expect from a good Petaluma.

Last night was more about the steak. I saw on the SBS Italian Safari show recently, an episode about Blackmores Wagu Beef. Having searched the web, I discovered I could buy it from Vics Meats twice a month on a Saturday morning. So yesterday, I duly headed off to the Mascot factory in search of what is reputed to be the best Wagu steaks sold in Australia. $65 kg later, I was home with two amazing wagu steaks in hand. Now to be honest up until last night, I have never really got Wagu, I have just thought it was overrated Sirloin. Last night was however an epiphany. I have never seen marbling like this before in a steak. After a brief interaction with the bbq and served with a cut down version of Cafe de Paris butter, Lisette and I both agreed they were the most amazing steaks either of us had ever tried. Oh and the wine was a St Hugo Cab Sav 1998. A perfect match for what were two stunning pieces of meat.

Good work there rooman. Two beautiful cabernets.....

monghead

Post by monghead »

2004 Curly Flat Pinot Noir
- Solid Good
2007 Epis Pinot Noir- Very Good
2003 Seppelt Chalambar- Good Good
2004 Mamre Brook Shiraz- Good

monghead

Post by monghead »

Forgot one from earlier in the week...

1998 Taltarni Cabernet Sauvignon
- Very Good

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Also last night with my brother to celebrate him losing 20kg this year so far we opened a 2008 Kumeu River Hunting Hill Chardonnay. Love this wine, so fleet footed and vital.

qwertt

Post by qwertt »

Orlando Centenary Hill Shiraz 2002. Now I see what the fuss is about. A beautiful smooth fully-flavoured wine. Last one I had was dead and flavourless - reminder of the joys of tree bark.

via collins

Post by via collins »

Hoddles Creek 2007 chardonnay - Way funky nose - stinky & cheesey, but that's no problem at all when a wine is as rich as this one. Absolutely cracking chardonnay, lots of fruit, a well weighted body, but lacking in oppressive buttery oak tones. Superb finish, smash hit at the dining table too.

Voyager Estate 2008 Girt By Sea Pretty dense wall of leather and herbal nuance upon opening, with dark cherries and mulberries in the background. Delectable enough, but even though it's theoretically an early drinking blend, I'm putting the remainder away for a few more years. Yet to meet a VE wine I didn't thoroughly enjoy.

Katnook Estate 2002 cabernet sauvignon Really powerful nose of currants and forest floor. Beautifully balanced palate with tea leaf, blackcurrant, cigar box and fine tannins. Sadly, all that frontloaded joy didn't lead to a finish to match, but very good nonetheless. 2nd night - finish extends. Altogether more generous than first night, some licorice and rhubarb adding to complexity. Last bottle of what wound up to be a happy purchase.

Henschke 2009 Gewurztraminer Soft, spritzy talc, green apples and a hint of spice. A really gentle, demure wine - not what I'm looking for from gewurz though, so I'd pass on this one in future, especially at the price. Nothing wrong with it at all, just not for me.

Leconfield 2000 cabernet sauvignon Big surprise on the table at the election night party. Notes are "berries, chocolate, balance, lustrous...." and it was bloody good, but the unfolding dramas of the night kind distracted.

rooman

Post by rooman »

monghead wrote:
rooman wrote:Friday night, a Petaluma Coonawarra Red 2001. This is truly an elegant wine. It took about 4-5 hours to start strutting its stuff and come to the party but when it did, I was very glad I had held some back as the evening went on. Super fine, silky tannins, just north of medium bodied, cassis and red berry fruit. After 5 hours it was just starting to take on the additional depth you would expect from a good Petaluma.

Good work there rooman. Two beautiful cabernets.....

Mong

I know the second paragraph raves about the Wagu steaks but 3 days later, I am still blown away by just how good the steaks were. It appears Blackmore's are the Rolls Royce of wagu in Australia. http://blackmorewagyu.com.au/. The Rockpool Bar and Grill effectively sells the stuff for just over $500 kg. Since there is a good chance that Red Head on this site is also a serious carnivore, they owe it to themselves to head down and pick up some of these steaks. http://www.vicsmeat.com.au/index.html

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

01 Willowbridge Black dog Shiraz ,, wow still travelling very well even with 16.5% alc its handling it really well .
04 Glaetzer Bishop shiraz,, total fruit bomb very very good red
04 Taylors shiraz is drinking fantastic mmmmmmmm and great price point
vertical tasting 00 to 08 Woodside Valley Baudin Cabernet Sauvignon. Margaret River, WA best was 04 WOTN 01,05 and 07 all very good

regards dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Agree on the steaks rooman, paid $110 for one at Rockpool B&G a while back and without doubt one of the best things I've ever eaten, and it was even better slightly reheated the next day (with their mac'n'cheese) !

Is it generally available on those times you mentioned in Mascot?? Ridiculously long way away from me, but might just be keen to make the journey for a special occasion, although only if I was sure I would get some!! $65/kg quite reasonable actually.

Cheers
Tim

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

2008 Brokenwood Semillon - nice quaffer for the brutal summer we've had up here. Lots of lemon, lovely cleansing acidity

1996 Peter Lehmann Black Queen Sparkling Shiraz - in surprisingly good nick for its age. Only detracting feature was a seemingly heavy-handed dosage.

2001 Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile - way too young. This is going to be fantastic in 10 years

2001 Lindemans Limstone Ridge - good honest Coonawarra shiraz/cab. Will never be a world beater.

2005 Kalleske Shiraz - been through a few of these, and this vintage is just a tad too syrupy for my palate.

2002 Michel Turgy Blanc de Blancs - bought this due to its Le Mesnil su Oger location. I've had this a few times, and I firmly believe it needs a decant. The first few mouthfuls always seem floury, but after 30 minutes of air, this completely dissipates leading to richer finish.

2004 Penfolds Bin 28 - not the best bottle. A metallic finish was off-putting.

2003 Lindemans Pyrus - quite soft and velvety. Not going to get much better but will hold for some years.

On a positive note, a delivery of 2002 Dom Perignon is due at my place today (likely the first of many!). I've been waiting a long time for it, so I hope it lives up to the critic's hype. I'll take one for the team and post notes later in the week.

tonsta

Post by tonsta »

Mike Hawkins wrote:On a positive note, a delivery of 2002 Dom Perignon is due at my place today (likely the first of many!). I've been waiting a long time for it, so I hope it lives up to the critic's hype. I'll take one for the team and post notes later in the week.

Really interested to hear your thoughts on the 2002 Dom. BTW how much do you pay for it in the US?

Cheers,
Tony

rooman

Post by rooman »

TiggerK wrote:Agree on the steaks rooman, paid $110 for one at Rockpool B&G a while back and without doubt one of the best things I've ever eaten, and it was even better slightly reheated the next day (with their mac'n'cheese) !

Is it generally available on those times you mentioned in Mascot?? Ridiculously long way away from me, but might just be keen to make the journey for a special occasion, although only if I was sure I would get some!! $65/kg quite reasonable actually.

Cheers
Tim

Tim

I believe it is generally available but if it is a long drive, it may be best to call them. There was a contact number on the website I posted above. Since posting the above comments I have done a little more research on the topic. The Blackmores wagu comes in at 9+ which is apparently the top grade for this category of meat. At taste off of different producers by The Age two years ago, it was the top rated steak by quite some considerable distance. I would pair it with a decent aged Cab Sav; the two went together superbly. I also fired up the bbq for it and served it somewhere between raw and medium raw (the French would call it Blue). It is so incredibly tender it is close to sashimi tenderness.

Mark