A few notes from the UK

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Rawshack

A few notes from the UK

Post by Rawshack »

So, I recently got back from visiting my family in the UK, and a couple of things struck me that I thought I'd make a mention of

1) the seemingly dwindling stock of Australian wines on bottle shop shelves; before I left (Apr 2007) to come to the UK, pretty much a 1/3rd of my local oddbins was dedicated to Aus wine, covering most price points. The same could also be said of the local supermarkets. However, I was somewhat shocked to see that Australia was getting as much space as South Africa and New Zealand. Interestingly enough, the cheaper wines, and obvious brand labels, had all but gone...
I didn't have enough time to do more research, but the manager of the Oddbins told me that the market for Australian wine, combined with some difficult exchange rates, was diminishing and her customers were looking more and more for French and italian wine. Indeed I found some great bargains there, including a terrific Macon Village for approx $10. I would have liked to have visited a couple of my old haunts in London to get a real view, but time conspired against us - especially with a grandmother wanting to show here GC off for the first time.

I'll be doing a little more research into this when I get chance, but if anyone has anything or can point me to export figures etc that would be great.

2) English wine is, although marginally, starting to hit the shelves and not be treated like the inbred cousin from East Anglia. From the sparkling side I sampled a terrific 2002 Nyetimber, and a lovely NV Chapledown. I also picked up a couple of others that I hope to receive in the mail shortly.

On the still front, I only managed a Chapel Down Baccus, but it was excellent. Although marketed as an alternitive/comparable to Sav Blanc, I found it more reminiscent of a recent vintage Gewurz without the body. Herbaceous, citrus and spice with great natural acidity. Delicious

I wish I had some decent tasting notes to share, but whatever I wrote was usually on the back of a napkin (or a kitchen paper, as my family like to call it) and lost somewhere in the ether.
The Dog of Wine

Bick

Re: A few notes from the UK

Post by Bick »

Very interesting to hear your thoughts, esp of the english wine, Rawshack. I'll be over there for a week at the end of the month and will have to look out for both Nytimber and Chapel Down. They're both labels I've heard of - are there any others do you think that stand out?
Cheers,
Mike

Jay60A

Re: A few notes from the UK

Post by Jay60A »

The UK wine market is the most competitive in the world imo, driven both by powerful supermarkets, and openness to wines from everywhere.

In the last 10-15 years two things have happened. Aussie wines have become more expensive, and offered little variety. French, Italian and Spanish wines have utilised Australian techniques to brighten up their fruit. They are often more balanced, more food friendly and are not expensive here. Lots of great Cote du Rhones, VdP Syrahs, regional wines.

Oddbins is a shell of it's former glory, and is supplanted by Majestic and some excellent independents who cherry pick wines from around the world, and don't buy the same volumes of Australian, especially when demand is low ... stuff like Chapel Hill, Wynns Black Label used to be everywhere including supermarkets, who now stock mainly dross.
Chile has also re-written the rulebook on price points ...

Having said all that Waitrose Supermarket is *outstanding* for wine - PL Stonewell, Edelstone, O Leary Walker Riesling, Yalumba Viognier etc. But it competes with equally good and well selected wines from around the world.

I'd always say the best place to buy Aussie wines is NZ (except for Henschke for some reason which is never cheap).
“There are no standards of taste in wine. Each mans own taste is the standard, and a majority vote cannot decide for him or in any slightest degree affect the supremacy of his own standard". Mark Twain.